main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Galaxy may not be as 'small' as people seem to complaining it is

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MetalGoldKnight, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Okay, ever since the revealation that Chewbacca would be in Episode III there have been complaints that this 'makes the galaxy seem too small' and is too much of a coincedence for a galaxy filled with trillons of residents, just as the droids and Jabba the Hutt were 'impossible coincedences'. Others counter this by arguing that it's 'the Will of the Force'. But there's one thing that people seem to be overlooking: it's not coincedence if it's partially intentional.

C-3P0 being built by Anakin on Tatooine 30 years before he was sold in the same location to Anakin's son? It's not a coincedence- both C-3P0 and R2-D2 were presumably passed into the hands of Anakin's daughter, Leia, and then sent to Tatooine to give a message to Anakin's former master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, who was on the planet for the sole purpose of watching over Anakin's son Luke. It's not a coincedence, it's simply a case of the droids being passed down and used as messengers between a group of family and friends, no more of a coincedence then my mother giving me a medallion that was once my grandfather's.

Same thing with Jabba the Hutt. He lives on Tatooine, and considering his status and lifestyle he probably doesn't leave the planet often. How is it a coincedence that he 'happens' to be residing over the planet at the same time Luke is living there? If I went to the Vatican and saw the Pope there, and then came back 20 years later and 'just happened' to see the Pope there again, it really isn't much of a coincedence, is it?

Now with Chewbacca. How do we know that Obi-Wan and Chewie didn't know each other long before they met up on Tatooine in Ep. 4? For all we know, Obi-Wan could've deliberatly called in Chewie for help when he and Luke needed to find a way off the planet, or possibly just told Chewie to check around Tatooine frequently for when the time comes for Luke to be ready.

The fact is, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and the droids are all a 'family' of sorts- it really shouldn't come as a surprise or a big coincedence that they run into each other.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Your post may not have so much 'text' as you seem to think it does.

EDIT: There ya go.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The fact is, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and the droids are all a 'family' of sorts- it really shouldn't come as a surprise or a big coincedence that they run into each other.

That's what I've said all along. When the story is being told through the eyes of a half-dozen people, it's inevitable their paths will cross.

4. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I would agree. Yeah there's alot of connections but I bet if there weren't people would complain. If Jabba wasn't in TPM I bet people would be saying they wish he was.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I wish he was...

6. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Jabba moves pretty constantly from Tatooine to Nal Hutta, the Hutt homeworld and Nar Shaddaa, the Smugglers Moon, to keep his business interests going, for example, he booses everyone from Tatooine, goes to NAr Shaddaa to hire pilots, and most Hutts go to Nal Hutta for conferences and reports on how much profit they're making.

7. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    "Jabba moves pretty constantly from Tatooine to Nal Hutta, the Hutt homeworld and Nar Shaddaa, the Smugglers Moon, to keep his business interests going, for example, he booses everyone from Tatooine, goes to NAr Shaddaa to hire pilots, and most Hutts go to Nal Hutta for conferences and reports on how much profit they're making."

Okay, but that still doesn't disporve my argument, since even if Jabba does go elsewhere he still has one of his 'main bases' on Tatooine, so it's not all that unlikely that if you went to Tatooine twice you would find him there both times. It's not as if the only two times Jabba ever visited Tatooine were in TPM and the PT like some people seem to make it sound.

8. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I have to agree, the fact that Jabba does travel, doesn't take away from the fact that his influence is still in place from the time of TPM-ROTJ. The Hutts are kinda like the "Corleone family" of SW, with tatooine being Lake Tahoo (Godfather part II)...a second base of operations.

Depending on how they work in the Chewbacca cameo, this could be proof of a much larger "circle of life" among the Skywalker family. Now I'm wondering...what if GL had Chewbacca's appearance in mind when Obi-Wan "just happens" to find him in the cantina. On the other hand, it could just be as simple as "two ships passing in the night" and al of us going...IT'S CHEWIE!!!

9. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    C-3P0 being built by Anakin on Tatooine 30 years before he was sold in the same location to Anakin's son? It's not a coincedence- both C-3P0 and R2-D2 were presumably passed into the hands of Anakin's daughter, Leia, and then sent to Tatooine to give a message to Anakin's former master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, who was on the planet for the sole purpose of watching over Anakin's son Luke.

But thi isn't the point. The point is, that there would be a million ways they could get those droids and passed into the hands of their offsprings. Also, there are several other Hutts, not just Jabba, why have we see particularly him? The point is, that this everyone-is-related-to-everyone-else thing can be a kind of fun, but for many ppl (e.g me) it's really annoying. Why can't characters just meet in the OT, without being related some way before? Why has everyone be present now, who will be present 20-30 years later? Luck that Vader is the same person as Anakin, at least we have different villains for the 2 trilogy [face_plain]

10. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    You know, I see a lot of words, but all I hear is, "Wah!!! Lucas didn't do it my way!"

11. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    Durwood: Yes, you're right. As I said, the way Lucas does it, can be fun. But it can be annoying as well. Matter of taste. Read, before start bittering.

12. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    Look at the saga the way it's supposed to be looked at: in order from Ep. 1-6. Now, like with any vast story, characters sometimes reappear, usually not through blind luck but through arranged meetings or repeated locations. If each movie had totally seperate characters aside from the main ones, it wouldn't actually flow all the way when viewed in order- if anything, it would just leave a bunch of loose ends.

13. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Exactly. These characters keep appearing because they're the main characters of the 6-part saga....

14. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    Edit: double post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.