The game changers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthcaedus1138, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I just want to make one more point about BFC that just now dawned on me. The Lando portions of that story were, at the time, as hard sf as anything we'd ever gotten in the EU. And out of that . . . Rogue Planet, which is in itself something of a game changer.

So, Traitor, Shatterpoint, Star by Star and Rogue Planet were all sort of game changers for me in terms of expanding the universe, changing the philosophy of the EU and telling more mature and adult stories. But they all were borrowing heavily from and plowing over ground already broken by Black Fleet Crisis.
  2. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Let's not forget the original game changer: HTTE.

Personally speaking, I would also mention Shatterpoint.
  3. ChildOfWinds Chosen One

star 5
    I think the changing of the guard to Del Rey from Bantam changed everything, at least in the post-RotJ era. Before the start of Del Rey's NJO series, most of the books were lighter and more positive and optimistic. We knew that despite the odds, the heroes would survive to fight another day and would come out victorious at the end of a single book or trilogy.

With Del Rey and the arrival of the Yuuzhan Vong, the tone changed. Almost everything became darker, bleaker, more pessimistic, more violent, more "realistic". The reader now had to worry about whether beloved characters would live or die. There was a greying of morality as heroic characters started doing questionable and even evil things, and villains were too "humanized" and written as overly- sympathetic and even "good" at times. We have to worry about the heroes losing their souls and becoming villains instead of enjoying a fun adventure story.

4. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Strictly speaking, that's not true. The more realistic storylines started with Bantam. Even TTT posited a very good chance that the heroes were in fact going to lose. The only "fun light" stuff was the children's books like YJK and most of KJA's hypothetically for-adults books.

I wouldn't say there's been a real game changer, at all, for post-ROTJ EU. Traitor tried, but either Stover was writing too smart, or people simply didn't get that he was having Vergere recite stuff Yoda said in TESB with fancier language.

And now we have DNT and LOTF.

The biggest shake-em-up if you ask me has been Legacy, which, outside of the Yuuzhan Vong's presence, needs hardly any prior familiarity with anything beyond the movies themselves.
  5. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Umm, no offense, but wouldn't Splinter of a Mind's Eye be more a game-changer in that regard? Or even the ANH novelization?
  6. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    How could the ANH novelization be considered a "game changer"?:confused:
  7. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    In terms of the EU itself, Jedi Search was major in that it acknowledged both events of a previous novel series (TTT) as well as a comic series (DE), establishing that it was all one continuity.
  8. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    First 'real' bit of EU? First novel of SW?
  9. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    It introduced ducks to the GFFA. Duh.
  10. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    And dogs!

[image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4aXY1txa_YA/R1ihbMGC1OI/AAAAAAAAALs/BwIteispTL0/s400/Cujo.jpg]

Don't forget Luke's dog!
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Luke certainly never did! *drum hit*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.