main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Game Designer's Group

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    If not a scene, then something more concrete about the story

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Full disclosure: I didn't comment on this game because I have never seen Blade Runner.

:p

So ... to me, the intro seems to be missing a chunk in the middle (where I assume the story of Blade Runner is). I get that this is a dark future in post-industrial Earth, there are Replicants and Blade Runners hunting Replicants ... and then what? Did they succeed? I assume not as both are still around. What happened in the final moments of the movie? It sounds like it was something major, like something important blew up, maybe. Is a Replicant like a humanoid Cylon - virtually indistinguishable from humans, except for a resource-intensive test - or is there some scanner thing that the Blade Runners use to find their prey?

I suppose I could just watch the movie or Wiki it but ... ;)

There are also some spelling and grammatical errors in the post. Some singular/plural mixups, misspelled 'corporation', 'lifes' instead of 'lives', 'their' instead of 'there', probably a few others I missed - I know it's not your first language, Sirak, and it's already better than a lot of games, but little things like that jump out at me. I can go through it for you if you like.

Overall, I think I would like this game if I knew more about Blade Runner.

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KEEP THIS GAME HERE! [face_praying]

I would love to just follow along if I can't find the time to play!

Really, you've got something here Sirak! :D

4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, I´d say that the problem is the movie. While being the most influential movie of all times (and arguably among the best) it is actually not well known. People know the hundreds of rip offs and movies taking it´s concept.

BSG would not exist withou Blade Runner for example. The Cylons are pretty much a carbon copy of Replicants in space and with "a plan" (and yes, they are a good example of what a Cylon is, except personality) . . .

So, it is a classic, meaning people don´t watch it that often anymore. It is a little like doing a game based on Maltese Falcon or Casablanca. So, I think you might try to explain it a little more. Give players more to understand it. Especially the personal nature of the game (I expect you too go the movie road) and therefore the idea behind it.

To answer you question Xany: Blade Runner was the prototype template of ANY post-industrial movie. It´s style and visuals are pretty much what today has become the clichée of a realistic Dark Future setting. It´s also a very personal movie. Replicants are not a big thing for the world. Only for the poor guys hunting and killing them and the big corp producing them. Everybody else does not care. The movie ends with one man watching another die and the question if our protagonist himself is actually human at all (for those who dig to interpret origami, at least)? Nothing grande happens on a global scale. Nothing happens on a global scale. It´s a Film Noir set in the future.

Sirak, know you´re somewhere in spain right now, but maybe you try to bring some stuff of your first post into the OP. And give people examples of what this game is about . . .

5. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    hm, yes I actually must have overestimated the accessibility of the material. Blade Runner did by intent not become a franchise, but I thought people had seen it. I actually do not know anyone who hasn´t seen it :p

Well, a scene might do the trick then: But if I do not fail to translate Blade Runner´s special atmosphere, only time and plot development will show the nature of that world. For those not knowing the movie, at least. I´ll have to see. This game was not posted with the intent to release it immediately. I wanted a first feedback. Now I´ll go back to the drawing board and enter a scene or write something like that . . .

Thanks everybody for input. I´ll give it some thought. :)

6. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I thought people had seen it. I actually do not know anyone who hasn´t seen it :p

I suppose you do now. :p

It's one of those classics I never quite got around to watching. Perhaps it's not really fair to ask for a full explanation of Blade Runner, but yeah, see if you can't summarise the events in a couple paragraphs. I think the post-industrial feel and atmosphere of gritty hopelessness (yes?) comes through rather nicely in the post - what I felt was missing was context. I just had no real clue what happened.

7. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I guess nothing happens in the movie that effects the game, does it? I mean it is Deckard´s story that is pretty much wrapped in hte end. So I think you need to take a different approach to the material, if you wanna bring it here. The movie won´t actually help kick off the game, I think . . .

But no matter where you do it? When? How? In which language? I´ll join . . . :D I adore that movie!

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    [image=http://media.filmschoolrejects.com/images/ledger-joker.jpg]

Do I really look like a guy with a plan?

Had to say it, even if it does abuse the thread. Judging by the idiots who managed to turn what was a great reboot into a pointless mess, the freakin' Cylon plan in new BSG basically came down to Make it up as we go along and pray somebody doesn't notice.

Rather unfortunate that their target audience is pretty much the antithesis of their standard playbook on what to feed TV audiences.

:D

9. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, I was not referring to the "plan" they never came up with, actually. I meant the Cylons have some sort of organisation and long term motivation, whatever it is in the changing mythology BSG is. I never believed in that show, when everybody else was still hyping it.

Replicants are created as superior slaves and become hunted once they rebel and break out. Therefore whatever they do, they must come with a reason and purpose on their own . . .

There is no Replicant/Human war. There is no organized Replicant movment at all. Otherwise they are both machines not distinguishable from humans.BSG ripped of that diea from BR. They even admitted it, lazy bunch they were.

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I have seen Blade Runner, and thought you captured the atmosphere perfectly, Sirak.

I jumped off the moving wagon when the game was revealed to be no action, players would be limited to playing replicants.

I can understand the story you want the game to cover, but I have never considered that world, and thought that I would want to play a replicant. Apart from the main inventor's daughter, most seemed to have a really crappy life.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Even for those of us familiar with the world, something a little more for us to grasp onto in terms of the given circumstances and the plot at the very beginning of the game will help inform character creation. We know what Decker's up to, but you're very specific that while possibly simultaneous with the film - and if it's not, that will also be important to know - this will not be following the film's events precisely.

12. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Limited to replicants? Huh? She offered Blade Runner and Policemen, too! And everything else is encouraged to be send in, it only needs to fit into the story. I actually reserved Holden, in case it every comes up :p Also she did not allow me to . . . [face_worried]

Precisely. The question that rises is: Are we hunting replicants? The three character types suggest so, but nothing else. Or will tihs be an entriely different story? Exploring the things hinted in the movie, like Eugenics and Off-World Colonaisation?

A scene would simply help here.

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, okay. Can be easy to miss small details when the introduction is so lengthy.

I reacted to this:

Two kind of replicants are playable. A rebel replicant, who has made it to earth and is in hiding. Or a replicant under the supervision of the Tyrell Coorporation.

That stuff about the police above looked like atmosphere setting.

If allowed to play, I would probably be a pair of coppers in one of those flying cars.
    Actually, knowing me, I would probably be a good portion of the 'Department by page seven, doing my own roll calls, issuing assignments, and stocking the Break Room.

14. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Sounds as if you would not really play within´ the plot of the game, but your own. At least too me.
    But if a GM gives five players a slot, I doubt she allows every one of them to play a few dozen NPCs, too. Five players mean five characters, right? Sirak?

15. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Okay, to the questions . . .

Yes, a hunt for Replicants would be in the center of the story, with no more than two players playing Replicants, actually. Like the movie it is more about the hunters.

A scene shall come then. Also I might have to think about what kind off scene I might add.

And as I said, no concrete plans are made to play this. Although I wonder if the NSWRPF has not reached saturation, right now? Before new players are swept into the obards (Live Action TV, get yourself going) we might not have unlimited numbers of games able to run . . .

No way, no no way will this be played anywhere in German . . . it really is a terrible dubbing. Well done, but bad choice of words, actually . . .

There is no date or plan to do this. It is just a long lasting idea. Although I think 2011 will be the now or never border. I´ll test interest before then. Some huge games have come to the NSWRPF and I consider the rivals to be a little . . . above my game.

And it would actually plays 14 days after the original movie and I right now consider bringing it to another city than L.A. actually. With some of the movies plots pretty much invovled into ours, I think it will still be enough Blade Runner for fans. The plot is complicated, although easy to play (like the movie is a Sci-Fi movie or a giant identity puzzle, depending in the reader).

Xany erased my comments I heard. I said my word on this "style" of treating games in Bad Day nad hoped I would never have to repeat myself. Which is a shame.
    But no "unapproved, helpful NPCs" will be created in my game without being voided instantly. I consider that to be plain and simple godmodding, at BEST! So one player - one character and all NPCs belong to me to develop my plot and riddle. I may give them away for a scene. That will be all. For this game. For any other.

16. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    It has been a long time since I have watched that movie, but I would definately be interested in a game like this. Although I forget how that ended.

Hopefully you'll find the market primed for such a game.

As for the NPC comments...your frightening Alicia.:(:p

Although I'ld have to think hard about ever having even introduced an NPC without prior GM notification and approval...yup still got nothin'. Although an identity puzzle, as I orinally saw the film as whilst a whee' lad, would need a few NPC's even if short lived to give nudges along those rarely crossed halls questioning the very essence of what makes one human. Or what really makes a difference when not even an emotion seperates machine from mankind.

I like the 2011 date though, is that purposefully before 2012?o_O

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well the movie seems to have Decker take care of that particular replicant problem on his own, so the plot would have to explain why we're doing the same thing. Is it alternate? Does it take place before? After? Are these replicants separate from the particular group in the movie, with their own agenda?

Another thing: some incentive in the plot to play the police officers would be great. That is: the plot should provide avenues for non-Blade Runner police to shine, because you present it as a character option but right now it seems there could be a danger of them not doing much besides remarking about how impressive the Blade Runners are.

18. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Hm, I think if Blade Runners are actually liked or are impressing Cops is at least up for interpretation. They hunt replicants, not real criminals. I could imagine there are tensions between both groups. Blade Runners are more Bounty hunters and from what we actually SEE in the movies . . . specialized but not any sort of supercops. Deckard seems to be their best and he almost died when Leon got him . . .

And considering what Deckard might be . . . they are pretty questionable.

And there are lots of other Replicants around, I guess. Only no Nexus 6, as their presence seems to make them nervous. There was actually a scene cut, where Deckard kills a Nexus 4 in the desert. Budget did not allow them to create the set. So I guess some Replicants run around. Enough to have a special branch of executive hunting them. With at least four members . . . permanently.

Anyway, having read a little more of it, I´d say rewrite your original Opening to make it fit into the OP and it will answer a lot of questions. It sets a timeframe, a hook for cops and BRs and explains how this story actually begins. I imagine Cops might even take center stage from what little I read?

One important fact I do actually miss. WHAT VERSION OF THE MOVIE IS CANON? I mean there are little differences with GREAT meaning in the two main versions, right? Especially regarding the survivors and what happened after the movie . . .

And I LOVE the idea of doing it in another city than L.A. . . .

I would play. I´d love to play a Cop in that freaked up world, actually.

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The issue is that there's no big Blade Runner database of canon...only what Ridley Scott says. :p

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think what I meant was more that if the game is about hunting replicants, the "meat and potatoes" of the RP is going to be playing Blade Runners. Blade Runners are the most central element of the plot.

I would play a cop, because that's kind of my style - playing characters that are challenging in the framework of the plot - but it'd be interesting if the plot contained equal awesome for the cops. In fact, there should ideally be more cops than Blade Runners, right?
    Canon differences mostly concern Decker's story, though, so it shouldn't be a huge deal.
    YES.
    Which should probably be considered canon, where convenient. Also, I imagine stuff could be pulled from Phillip K. Dick.

Also, this.

21. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Quick FYI: what is canon in a particular game is always determined by the GM, and no other. So it'd be basically up to Sirak.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Of course. I think the issue was just whether or not there was enough established canon to, theoretically, draw upon.

23. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, what do we have. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheeps (The novel) for starters, then the movie which pretty much a world builder. Around two dozen scientific books about it. Production books. three of them, explaining a lot of background. About a second movie of cut content as storyboard as well as several VERY revealing scenes cut and recently reedited for the three hour documentary . . .

Otherwise . . . the three novels by K.W. Jeter are an insult. I won´t use ANY of them.

A computer game that was ace in atmosphere, which I would actually use one-on-one . . .

I think that is enough for a nice adventure to last about 500 posts . . . I wanna tell a story here, not do sandbox world-creating. So I guess with the right bunch of players that would work out!

Actually into my canon all cut scenes from Blade Runner would be accepted, as long as they were additional content. Also the Penthouse Scene and Into never filmed. Further on, I would use the Blade Runner Director´s Cut as THE version.

Otherwise: Cops-Stories.
    I planned on having three plotlines intervening more and more as the story progresses.

1. An investiagtion by the police department that has a connection to the Blade Runners (so they´ll probably look into their special branch) but also is a classical procudual.

2. Holden and another Blade Runner or two hunting

3. Replicants. Surviving. Reflecting on their existence etc.

They will all come together in a way I cannot reveal. But that diea made me create the game.

Next: Opening Scene
    Yeah, Draco saw my Opening Scene, but I am yet unsure if it will be my opening, if it will be end of Act I or if I actually make it my prologue (and I see it is pretty fitting), therefore I plan to introduce a "first scene" but not yet. I think until 2011 I´ll have another run here, once it nears perfection.

Next: Interest
    Looks like I would get my five players I wanna have. So I guess I can say it will happen here . . . but no promise.

Next: 2012
    I don´t believe in Mayans, but I wanna get it done before The Change comes . . .

24. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    So, this was in tlks for ages. Another approach to a newbie-friendly game. I wrote a draft over the last few month. It´s based on the extremely "newbie-friendly" AU Tattoine game by Coruscant and I have his permission to rip off the basic principal of it.

I now worked under the assumption I was to GM it, but if we ever do anything with it that is not necessary the case. What I thought was promoting it in the Adoptee Program, our GHame Index etc. to make it pretty present for new arrivals. A board of experienced users would be in this to help players get the rules. All titled GMs for Game Moderators. But a single GM would move forward a very rough storyline, giving people something to do and NPCs to interact with.

An idea that did not make it into this game is, to allow player who have been around a while to enter the game with "reknown" original characters, thereofre characters they have played in games for a while. Like Sith-I-5´s Nifesta, Sinrebirth Darth Insipid, DarkLordoftheFins Lorn, Mitth-Fisto´s Kiar (examples that came to mind, I am sure our games hold legions of those) or any of the old Ibop or WtoG bunch or even some ManCubs or AFAS originals in an alternate universe so to say . . . that might attract senior players to the game, as I see the interacxtion with more experienced players the key to such a game. Then with the approval of a GM, to avoid "overpowering" the canon characters. I did not wirte this into this draft, but if you like the idea, you might say so and I´ll do another one . . .

So here it is!

[i]Welcome RPers and those who love Star Wars. This is a game for everyone to play in. It is a playground for all those who want to take a first step into the world of Star Wars Post-by-Post RPing and those who want to dwell into the depth of their favourite characters alike. Everybody is welcome to . . . [/i]

[hr]

[hl=black][color=orangered][b]The Silent Cities of Coruscant - A game for everyone[/b][/color][/hl]

[hr]

[i]A long time ago, in a galaxy that no longer is what it´s used to be . . . [/i]

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/bd/Jedi_Temple_sunset.jpg]

Many of those who awoke had never seen that planet. Some did not recognize it, some were confused by it´s many changes. For some this could not be Coruscant, for Coruscant had been nothing but a legend. But it was. And they were there. They did not know what had brought them to the planet. Nor did they know why they had been transported there. They had no memory of arriving. Or leaving.

And there was nobody there to ask. Because for strange reasons, nobody seemed to remain on Coruscant, except them. The planet was empty. Abandoned, or probably never populated in the first place. Maybe it was not even Coruscant at all. Although it could hardly be imitated in it´s complex city-structure, how could billions be brought away.

The confusion would become worse when many of them realized they were not even in their time. It was a Coruscant of another age. But before the riddle could be solved, they realized painfully that they were not alone . . .

[hr]

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/9/94/GalacticCity_sunset.jpg]

The characters of [b]Silent Cities of Coruscant[/b] are from all times and ages. They are transported to the timeless Coruscant by mysterious means and wake up somewhere inside the giant structures of the planet alone and only with those things with them, they had on their body the moment they vanished in their own time. To play a character in this, only two prerequisites is needed. You need to play 1. a canon-character who is 2. not yet taken. You can take the same canon character as another player though, if he is from another age. So the young Anakin Skywalker might meet the late Darth Vader. HK-47 might meet his reconstructed self of later centuries. And so on . . . only the same character of the same time is not allowed.

[b]How do you join?[/b]

Simple thing. There is a list and you simply add your name to it, the character you pla

25. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Oooooh... I would play the game for two reasons alone - it takes place on Coruscant and I love the pictures. :D :D

I like it. It's a good adaptation of AU Tatooine. I would like to be able to play OCs from different game universes though - I prefer them to canon characters, and as you noted it'd be a blast resurrecting my IBOP character - but that would just be icing on the cake for me.

Couple questions though:
    (1) Regarding linking it with Adoptions - I think that could definitely work out well, but just to confirm, have you asked Ktala and/or Sithy about it yet?
    (2) Is the "HERE" at the end of Rule #4 meant to be a link?
    (3) Nitpicks - the "it´s" in the tagline should be just "it", and the one in "some were confused by it´s many changes" should be "its". I'd also rephrase "There will always arrive new characters on Coruscant." to "There will always be new characters arriving on Coruscant." ... wrong tense is all.
    (4) Are the only characters present on Coruscant the ones played by players or will there be NPCs around? I ask because IIRC, AU Tatooine was completely empty save for PCs.

... did I mention I love the pictures? I would totally join a game with those pictures. Yes, I am easily swayed by such things. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.