main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Game Designers Guild

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    When I read Cauldron I thought how many people are lurking the Winged-Jedi made Sinrebirth vs. DarkLordoftheFins Chess, right now. Seems like there is an "audience" for player vs. player around here.

Duels resulting in character-death at some point might be a good idea. It is practiced at least in one game, right now. And make it more realistic and MUCH more dramatic.

2. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    For the canon part, fin, I figured that I would start off with canon, like Matty did in aFaS, then go off into a random and undetermined direction.

I'm not going to get involved in all those internal organization conflicts unless one of the players is interested in being Xizor or a leading official, which I wont burden them with having to read back to make sure everything they say is accurate. My game would be a Player's Delight Free Roam game. I wont tell you what you can and cannot be, but if you choose to be the leader of the Black Sun, be aware that you could be killed in the 2nd update.

I would just guide the galaxy around my players. If one player is a fleet junkie(Sinrebirth) and states that he wants to be involved in space battles, then I will set something up. If another player does not like reading history on wookieepedia and just wants to play a simple game as a podracer pilot, then I will keep them excluded from the big plots, unless they get themselves tossed in it.

Player's Delight means I give them what they want. Notice Reynar's part of his CS in Steel Sky, it asks what you want to do in the game or what you want from playing it.

-B-

3. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    blubeast, that's a wonderful idea, something I would like to more or less borrow for one or a few of my games, if you don't mind. For example, I have an RPG coming up involving a certain force using group with their own self sustaining military factions. This could mean I could adapt to several play styles as well. Something for Fleet Junkie Naval Admirals, Political Intrigue for a Diplomat, Military Combat for Army Generals, and Force Combat for the Force Users. There is a play style for every character type, determined by how they make their character and biography, and perhaps via an interview in the CS approval process.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Death Note: The Batman Investigation

Should I continue?

5. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Yes, because if you're thinking of doing a Death Note/Batman crossover, I will need further information before I analyze it and the playable characters and a plausible story arc.

-B-

6. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    I have enough faith in Sinre's GMing talent that I personally do not need that. Then again, I'm not familiar with Death Note.

7. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Boy bye.

-B-

8. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Hey everybody, I'm going to post a portion of the opening post for a new game I'm trying to work on: Coruscant Guard: After Endor (Working Title), which is a successor to the short-lived but potentially effective Peacekeepers: The Coruscant Guard game I tried out a while back.

It is set to follow a similar format to the first game, but instead of taking place during the comfort of post - Yavin Coruscant, it will follow the Coruscant Guard and its suppression of the riots and disorder throughout Imperial City following the defeat at the Battle of Endor, and beyond.

I expect the game to be dramatic yet still retaining the "lighthearted flavor" that I wanted in the first game. In essence, the main characters aren't meant to be heroes per se, but ordinary soldiers in the position to do extraordinary things.

The first game failed due to format issues, whereas players joining after initial teams had been sent out needed new objectives and whatnot, and people that had been sent out were sometimes stuck with unresponsive PCs, and all that jazz. On paper it's easy to overcome, but at the time I just didn't address them until they were unmanageable.

Anyhow, this is the portion of the post I mentioned earlier to kind of set the scene, and just let me know what you guys think of it / if you have suggestions for the format of this type of game.

[i]4 ABY[/i]

The Information Collection and Analysis Bureau of Imperial Intelligence was particularly bustling. Located in the one of the largest and most secure facilities on Coruscant , it was charged with monitoring and processing information from all corners of Imperial space and beyond. Deck-8 was a substation within the ICAB complex itself that was tasked with sifting through the mountains of data coming and going every second from the most high-profile point in the galaxy: Imperial City.

The hundreds of technicians and analysts that worked in the ordered-chaos of Deck-8 frequently understood that their corner of the Empire was the most important place in the entire galaxy. Unknown to them however, was that on this particular day, Coruscant was actually second to a small forest moon on the edge of space.

?There it is again. What the hell?? said a technician idly as he sat, eyes glued to his computer screen. A few of his coworkers and even a couple of droids had come to gather around and see what it was he had found.

?First Class Analyst Sotho, what is the problem?? came a metallic voice from over his shoulder.

He ran his fingers through his hair, ?I?ve been picking this signal up intermittently all morning. It?s coming in from offworld somewhere.?

?Have you tried tracing it to the source?? asked one of his female colleagues.

?I can?t follow it past the edge of the system because I don?t have clearance to use our long-range stuff; I dunno.?

One of the nearby droids moved to Sotho?s console and punched a few keys, bringing up an image of pings originating from the mysterious signal, and laying it over a map of Imperial City itself. A few more keystrokes, and one of the massive viewscreens nearby that lined the interior of Deck-8 came to life displaying the image for all to see. ?Look, it?s starting to come in exponentially.?

?That?s odd, I tried but it doesn?t seem like our systems can track it all,? someone from down the line of consoles called out.

?I?ll try reallocating processing power, it?s coming in on a much lower frequency than we?re used to,? the droid, T6-AC, called out as it hurried toward one of the mainframe control rooms.

Beads of sweat had begun to form on Sotho?s forehead.

After a few moments, the adjustments T6 must have made were starting to take effect, because the signal began to come in clearly, and the map showed its sources in much more detail, and in a far greater area than had been shown initially.

?It looks like an ? information packet of some kind,? said Sotho under his breath, ?that?s why our malicious software barriers didn?t pick it up. But I?ve never s

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'll put up something after Lemelisk's game is discussed. ;) Just for you, blu. :*

Carrying on...

That sounds painfully fun, Lemelisk. I recall this gem from the EU. RotJ SE shows a riot, and then the EU has those individuals shot to pieces. :cool: Great fun. :D

10. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    BLem, that is really the perfect setting you have there. Throws your players into the action headfirst. I like it.

11. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah it's meant to be shocking, not only to see that place go crazy but also to set the tone for the more sandbox-like missions afterward.

12. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    So many projects. Any release dates? Then we should discuss them in the order they leave the pipeline.

13. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm with sinre... that looks like i could be exceedingly fun... not really got much else to say, really.

i actually have a game i'm concocting right now myself. and i'm actually gonna run it, which would be a first in years.

:snoopy

14. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    I'll launch my game. Success or Failure!!!

I've never been the greatest GM, but now I'm taking the "I'll RP my players" GM concept route. It gives the players a better chance for actual interaction and personal relationships.

-B-

15. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Are you opening your game for critiques here, Blu?

16. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah. I posted it on the last page and Fin followed suit.

So feel free, dude.

-B-

17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Okay.

Well, for me...

First thing that I notice is the title. It's interesting, but honestly, you've got nothing in the OP itself to explain it or hint at further explanation, and that really bugs me.

Typos in the body are very frustrating, especially because they are easily avoidable.

The game itself looks fine, but it's your presentation that I have issues with.

18. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    That has always been my problem.

I never knew how to put a game together, really, and did not make it appealing to players.

That is my problem, but I put more effort in the actual GMing because that is where I'm best at. The RPing process. Maybe I should hire Sinre or Hammer to write the OPs for me.:p

-B-

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I wouldn't worry too much about it; it's just an idle criticism on my part, and it doesn't seem to be hampering interest. Way to go!

20. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I think it is alright. There is no hinted story like "Mysterious Planet explored" (41 ABY) or "Resistance against Krayt´s Empire" (133 ABY) or "Jungle-Book in Star Wars" (ManCubs) so one cannot bond with the story. But you let us make up our story ourselves. And that´s something I can relate to. It just doesn´t make such a thrilling opening-post.

The only possible advancment would be to highlight this a bit more by something like:

The Plot. That´s you!

:p

21. witchdoctor187

witchdoctor187 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 14, 2007
    Hey BLem, i really like the idea. i really liked playing the Coruscant Guard RPG, but my team fell out on me so i wasn't able to keep playing. but i would definitely play it if you posted it. that's all[face_peace]

22. Rally_Fan_84

Rally_Fan_84 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2009
    Alright, not to pull a combo breaker, but feedback is needed here :D.

Ive been poking around on the boards for a bit now and I see that there is something missing that I would like to rectify: That is an RP based on pure speed, motorized competition.

Thats right, racing. Speed at its most intense is just as exciting as lightsaber duels using the force or epic space battles in my opinion, and I think that the boards could do with the alternative.

So in that spirit, I have two RP ideas in mind, one for the SW and one for the NSW boards.
    For the SW boards, I was thinking swoop bike racing, sort of an amalgamation of real-world superbike and motocross racing rules, all set in late BBY and/or early ABY.

The NSW would be a bit more haphazard. Since most people don't like sims, I was hard pressed to come up with a medium, but I think I have: a loose adaptation of the Burnout series.

Right now I have nothing on either, so any input would again be appreciated!

23. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I think there was game called Podracer, when I began playing here. Much like a lightsaber-combat thread. But it hasn´t made it. Basically I think there is not much about it. Driving around. Speed. Advancing the vehicle. Pretty basic. Players who like it will join, others won´t even consider it.

24. Rally_Fan_84

Rally_Fan_84 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2009
    Well you can say that about any game Fin really.

The nuances is what would make it. For the swoop bike game it would be the inevitable crime involvement, the stunt sessions, and of course the fact that people are going at 600+ kph with nothing but a helmet between them and certain doom.

The Burnout thing, well it's hard to explain, but the Burnout series is all about white-knuckle blisteringly fast racing and vehicular mayhem, so that would always be fun.

Basically I see a need for an RP that isn't about the dark times in the galaxy or the pain of what happened to the jedi or spiritual wars or or or (not that they aren't fun, I enjoy every last RP that I am in).
    I guess it comes down to not having the kind of action-oriented game that would get pulses pounding in a very primal way.
    Maybe that puts it in a bigger focus? Something that is simplistic in nature but fun in execution.

25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Could you clarify what you mean? Both Podracer games were very successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.