main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Game Designers Guild

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The Podracer games, there were two, worked because the GM, our illustrious Hammer ran it in a unique and fabulous month-on, month-off cycle.

Like with Formula One (the only racing medium I am familiar with) there were several venues around the galaxy, and on alternating months, all the racers and hangars on, had to make their way to the planet/location in question; I-H would do an intro' post (we are here, celebrity guests come out and wow the crowds, the lights go green); the GM steps back, and monitors the race whilst the players try to complete three circuits of the track.
    There was a system he had in place so that after you posted, I think two other players had to post before your next move, and so on.

In the off month, we were all allowed to wander around the Racer Village, engage in intrigue, get interviewed by the holo-media, and so on. It was an all-round game.

If you look in our mod's profile, I believe he tends to have links to his completed games, so you can check them both out.

2. Rally_Fan_84

Rally_Fan_84 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2009
    Ah, that makes sense and would allow for more leeway.

The Swoop Bike game would probably have a 3 week rotation, with weeks 1 and 2 being prep and interaction weeks and week 3 being a race week.
    There would be 6 teams with 2 riders apiece with a possibility of a third backup driver that would act as a track spotter when not riding. The teams would use one of three different swoop bike models with differing but balanced performance envelopes.

Interaction out of the race weeks would include practice laps on a common course, fan interactions (or lack of them), parties and publicity, team meetings, sponsorship deals etc. There would also be a slight undercurrent of corruption since it would take place in the fringe, and Black Sun and the Hutts are rather prevalent there as I recall.

The tracks would be hard, but I don't see why fringe and possibly even mid rim planets could be co-opted with tracks and terrain and such.
    The hang-up of course is the racing itself. I was thinking maybe a coin-toss system that would account for action, reaction, and results as far as moves.

The Burnout RP would play in a different way. There would be two players per team and that would be it (driver/navigator, co-drivers, sugar daddy/trophy wife whatever they wanted to do). Since the rally itself would be an illegal exercise there would be no need for sponsorship since the vehicles would be ostentatious and the undertaking massive anyway.
    Vehicles would be decided on a first come/first served basis working from a list of pre-set vehicles (high-end supersports, that sort of thing), no exceptions. That way nobody can bitch and whine that their uber-modified Geo Metro somehow spanked a Ferrari Enzo while going around a bend at 100 mph.

The pacing would be a bit faster, this time set up on a 2 week schedule, 1 week between cities and 1 week in city. The rally stages would consist of hundreds of miles between point A and point B, with no route mapped out, with the goal of getting to point B before the other people at almost any cost. True to the Burnout series, vehicular mayhem would be the norm, but no guns or such would be prevalent, merely paint trading, sideswiping, grinding and such.
    Once at the destination, teams could interact and tour the city or sign up for in-city driving challenges involving smaller sport compacts, doing things such as causing massive crashes, flat-out races in traffic, stylish driving, speed challenges etc.
    Again, the action/reaction thing would probably be decided by coin toss/die/something that is impartial.

Sound a bit more cohesive?

3. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, if you have thought so much about it, I´d say do an opening post. Because such details have to be translated into an actual game, there is where the problems are . . .

4. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    For the lack of knowledge of any other place this discussion might fit in, I have a question to you ladies and gentlemen of the GDG. As I am planning to launch a game in an original setting . . . therefore not franchise based . . . I have lurked especially discussions about this idea. And everywhere I read about this, I only hear it would be "very difficult" or is "bound to fail". Well, considering the effort one has to put into such an undertaking I ask, is that really so? In the RPF especially?

At least Aria of Soul by DarthRamza and Oz by Imperial Hammer seem to be based on non-franchise ideas. So, what do you people think about games based on no franchise at all? Opinions wouldmean a lot to me.

Thank you

TheSithGirly

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Not even franchise games are bound to succeed; it's a magical mix of GM effort and player interest, or maybe it's a not-so-magical fluke. The right game at the right time can do very well.

You could have the RPF equivalent of War and Peace posted, but at the wrong time, at best you'll get a few players.

Ramza's game is very successful, I think, because it's simple. He's got a neat little number system behind everything that only he understands the workings to, so all the players need do is fight it out turn-by-turn. That, coupled with excellent advertising, is what has made it so successful. He made it the right time for the game and made the game right for the times. Us RPFchat regulars critiqued the hell out of his game, something he probably hated at the time but might very well be thankful for now.

Also, knowing people and being well-regarded likely helps. I don't want to say, "scratch their back, they'll scratch yours," but it is to some extent like that, just without all the sleaziness :p . Have fun with other games, and they'll probably have fun with yours.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    So... Battlestar Galactica... Halo... Firefly/Serenity...

How popular are these franchises around here? Dabbling in one of the three, methinks, in the future. Those of you who have inklings, I would request you keep your secrets. Very tentative inquiries, here. As a conversation aside to fill the void, I once considered that the .Hack// anime, Terminator franchise and the Matrix trilogy could work in the same story - past, present, and future. Assuming John Connor lost, of course, and the Key of the Twilight was Neo.

7. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    That is good to know. It was my impression from my time around here, too. But I read a lot of more negative approaches. I must say Aria of the Soul and OZ have given me some perspective for my own game . . .

Well, I can wait for the right time and I obviously trust my game. Then again, a "few players" doesn´t sound that bad. A few good, dedicated players would be enough for the beginning. From their I can begin to build it . . .

Well, despite my obvious friends I believe I still know a few people around here. I wasn´t gone thaaat long. No idea how I am regarded around here, but I prefer to find that out the hard way. Concerning playing . . . I´ll do so eventually. With the right game and role I´ll be back. Well, to warm up again, I have a guest-role in a friends game upcoming.

Thank you for your first impression on my question, Peng. Good to know. Any further insight would be welcome, of course.

8. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Oz is totally a franchise game! See The Wizard of Oz by Frank Baum, or Wicked by Gregory Maguire which was based on it.

... It's just, to be fair, a franchise very few have heard of. :p

9. Rally_Fan_84

Jan 14, 2009
    Not to switch gears (crafting opening posts for Burnout: Razors' Edge Rally and Swoop Bike TT currently) but I am also wondering has anybody done anything like the Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven (same movie really, different venues).

Since I have seen both, Ive often wondered what an application of the rough plotline in the SW universe might be like.

For reference:

Seven Samurai

The Magnificent Seven.

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Numerous times, if memory serves, which it generally does...

11. Rally_Fan_84

Jan 14, 2009
    So how do you think a loose re-imagining of it in Star Wars terms go down? Maybe a hybrid of gunfighters and jedi post Order 66 that somehow managed to escape?

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Possibly, but if it's just an adaptation...I wouldn't recommend it.

13. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    SithGirly, I assume you should simply test interest. I see what line of thought you have. You have five players eagerly awaiting your Monomyth, with another three who sign up here tomorrow if you do it . . . but they all do not need to play necessary in english. o_O
    That´s an impressive base to build on (actually we can do something like that on our own, as we know from the past) but you seem to look for a broader audience. These boards are pretty much uncontrollable. It becomes more obvious when I watch instead of play here. I realized in my Codex-discussions that this is a player-market. The need dictates the style. If you look for a broad release of Monomyth with all kind of players you have only the slim chance of hitting the right nerve at the right moment. Great games have gone down around here, without ever having a chance. Your reputation seems to be good. But I think this is overestimated. The New Sith Wars and ~Beyond~ were two well-made games that simply had loads of submissions lately. Then again -A Good Sith Game- and -Horror Game- was something many players longed for . . .

If you have specific numbers in mind, Codex-like (if I may point out my core-thesis) you can always do it like 133ABY and ManCubs did. Handpick players.

My advice is . . . bring up the teaser and watch the development from there. When I did teaser 133 ABY: The Cold Embrace (beginning in approximatly two weeks, btw) I had several PMs send in. I am confident there is some interest.
    If not . . . you are in the great position to have EVERYTHING you need to play. Including a player-base. Just relax and look if you can get also what you WANT.

LordT´s two cents. Or even four.

Rally-Fan84, I think Seven Samurai has been done a few times since I joined. Don´t wanna know how many incarnations there were for those being around much longer. I even think it is done in some games running . . . as subplots . . . right now. At least my impression.

Sinrebirth
    , I think BSG is hard to do, for it is pretty much a told tale. Serenity/Firefly is interesting. Though one needs to innovate a little in that galaxy, as the series told us little about it. But THERE are great stories.
    Halo. There are still active Halo-Games aren´t there? The whole Übermensch thing makes it hard to play, I guess.

14. Rally_Fan_84

Jan 14, 2009
    Well, here's the first of many pitches. This one is for Burnout: Razors' Edge Rally

[i]Race fans of every stripe will always argue when it comes to the title of "Worlds' Best Driver". The [color=red]Tifosi[/color] will always argue that Michael Shumacher is the greatest, the NASCAR crowd will bray that it is the late and certainly talented Dale Earnhardt, rally fans will cry out in protest and declare Tommi Makinen or Carlos Sainz are the greatest, and of course legends such as Mario Andretti, Al Unser, and Graham Hill will be brought up.

While they are all notable in their own right, they are nowhere near the level of the actual greatest racing driver. His name is not known to the public at large, and he raced with his own money and cars, but he drove across the United States of America, mainland Asia, the European continent and the British Islands.
    While this seems very humdrum factor in these aspects: All of it was done without any roads being closed to the public, with an active series of warrants in 70 countries for his arrest, and with at least 12 other opponents bashing and ramming his car, all the while maintaining an average speed of 122mph for the entirety of his journey and not crashing once.

Do you still think you're up to the challenge? Do you think you have the skills, determination, and courage to compete on this level?

If you're still here, then you are cordially invited to compete in the 8th annual Razors' Edge Rally. After we confirm your $10 million entry fee, report to the [link=http://www.harborcourt.com/]InterContinental Harbor Court[/link] hotel in Baltimore, submit your vehicle for race-preparation, meet your opponents, and celebrate.

For the next day we shall see who truly has what it takes to just stay in the race, let alone win.[/i]
    [hr]

Welcome one and all to [hl=orangered][color=black][u][i][b]Burnout: Razors' Edge Rally[/b][/i][/u][/color][/hl]. If you haven't guessed by now this is going to be about an illegal road rally and it's drivers. For now the US leg will be the only one that will be played, but with enough interests the race will go world-wide.
    The race itself is an adaptation of the vehicular mayhem found in the [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnout_(series)]Burnout Series[/link], so expect plenty of insanity and action to ensue.

Now while there will be plenty of leeway for your own signature kind of mayhem to be unleashed on all, there are rules to follow, and in this case there are plenty so read on:
    [u]-General Rules-[/u]
    [b]1.[/b] Follow all [link=http://boards.theforce.net/UserPages/Terms.aspx]Terms of Service[/link] and [link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_forum/b10328/11511147/p1/?53]RPF Rules[/link]. Posting this rule gets old but it is important. If not sure, read them after clicking on the handy link.
    [b]2.[/b] GM direction is law. Disobey at your own imminent peril.
    [b]3.[/b] Try to solve all conflicts in an interpersonal fashion before taking it higher. If it needs moderation, first go to the GMs. If it continues the mods will get involved, and finally if nobody is willing to compromise all parties involved will be ejected without any opportunity to re-join.
    5: Keep OOC chatter to a minimum. If it can be asked of a GM directly, PM the GM. If it involves another player, PM them.
    [u]
    -Gameplay Rules-[/u]
    [b]1.[/b] Zero godmodding from players will be tolerated. Anything that looks like such that was not sanctioned by a GM will result in penalties. First infraction is an immedite DQ from any competiton. Second offense is ejection.
    [b]2.[/b] Players cannot auto-hit other players or major NPCs. Minor NPCs however are all legal.
    [b]3.[/b] Outcomes of actions will be determined as follows: at least two parties will take action against each other. The GM will then utilize the [link=http://www.random.org/coins/?num=2&cur=60-usd.0100c-washington]Random.org coin flipper utilizing two George Washington Dollar Coins[/link] to determine the outcome. The first coin will determine who wins the conflic

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Call me an annoying purist, but work on your grammar!

[b]Peng's Grammar Lessons[/b]

[b]it's[/b] is an abbreviation of [b]it is[/b]. Excluding very special circumstances (like Stephen King's novel [i]It[/i]), it does not connote possession.

Possession is equally simple. Look at my title: [i]Peng's grammar lessons[/i], or the Grammar Lessons of Peng. Your game's title, Rally, is [i]Razors' Edge[/i], which actually implies the edges of multiple razors. You've made it plural before you've added the possessive.

[hr]
    That being said, I'd recommend you give your OP a good once over. Read it out loud and note where it sounds or looks odd. I noticed you had "Tifosi" in red (I don't know what Tifosi is, so maybe it's me) but NASCAR and other races aren't made to stand out.

Your rules should be in a separate paragraph from your lead-in sentence. What you have now is a wall of text, which is one step away from "TL;DR."

I think you should also blockquote your example(s).

Aside from these presentation issues, it looks like a solid game, and I'd certainly send in a CS (albeit a CS laden with complaints about grammar).

16. Rally_Fan_84

Jan 14, 2009
    I appreciate the grammar lesson Peng, but bear in mind that posting was a rough draft, done using crib notes and under lack of sleep. However I could make excuses all day...

Anywho, no game-play or content issues? Think you're gearhead enough to join if it ever gets posted :D ?

17. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    I have some points, but I don't have any time to write them up now. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Stay tuned. ;)

-I_H

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Rally, I'm sure you just caught the tail end of a long time of Peng dealing with bad grammar. It probably had little to do with you, personally.

Also, dinosaurs are sick-awesome.

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's nothing to do with Rally, and everything to do with grammar! :p

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Like I said before...I'd play it. I love Burnout, so it figures I'd love Burnout on the RPF! :D

20. Rally_Fan_84

Jan 14, 2009
    Tell ya what, if I post it would you be interested in a Co-Gm and fact-check slot?

21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Er, no...I've got a lot on my plate (about six games, I think) and one of my own I'm planning to start soon enough.

22. AvatarOfYunYammka

AvatarOfYunYammka Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2007
    I have decided to join the GDG.

23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    QFT.

24. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    Did you honestly just quote yourself?

25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Just cuz it's a theme song don't mean it's not true.

I kind of want someone to make a game that has something to do with dinosaurs. I'd do it, but I'm already GMing two games...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.