main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Game Group

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Winged_Jedi, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    In that case, yes they are NPC's. :p

Still pretty new at this, so its to be expected I'll get a couple things wrong. Must get better at that.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    First up, let me bit a bit blunt: nobody's perfect at RPGing around here, T. Not one person on this forum will accept that tag, I would hope. Quite the contrary: just about everyone who had a successful RPG here will insist that a lot of luck played into their games' successes, or indeed that some of the best successes were team efforts, not singular savantship. I'll freely admit that: good as I personally find Tide of Flames, it could not have run as long or as well as it has without eight dedicated players and a very patient "GM's Conscience" by the name of Lightwarden. Everyone gets stuff wrong in every game they do, no matter how long they've been on these forums. Holding yourself to a high standard is how you improve, certainly, but I want to emphasise: at the end of the day, Pretendy Funtime Games On The Internet. Don't beat yourself up over any of this stuff.

3. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Believe me, that wasn't beating myself up.

That would have been 'darn...I can't believe I messed that up...it needs to be better.' :p

In any case, I think I'm nearing the point where I can actually put the game up. I think its just finalizing details now.

4. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    All I suppose I'm saying is: please don't feel overawed or have any inferiority complex, or have any feeling that you need anyone's "blessing" to run a game on here or play with others on here.

See, that was my biggest mistake when I first got into RPF gaming: the idea that there was some sort of brass ring of users that you had to prove yourself to, or that you had to "pay your dues" before you'd be accepted as a meaningful contributor to the RPF, or that I should stay out of "cliques" until invited. That self-imposed feeling kept me out of a lot of good games with a lot of good people, and deprived me of a lot of relationships with people I have subsequently come to think of as good friends: in particular I wish I'd played more with Xan, greyjedi125 and CmdrMitthrawnruodo (I still can't get his spelling right after eight years ;) ) who are oldbies like myself and who I saw a lot around the RPF but who I never really sought out until much later on.

Had I the last eight-odd years of experience then that I have now, I would have said to myself "The very fact I'm taking the time and effort to create a small playground for others to come and romp in makes me a significant contributor to this site, and I don't have to prove myself to anyone but me. Within reason and the TOS, I can start what I want; play what I want. It's all up to me. If my games don't interest people, fine: I'll keep revising and writing until I find one that does. If I see a game I'd like to join, I'll join it without worrying how oldbie the playerbase is. If anything, I'll seek out games with good players, because surrounding myself with good players usually makes me better by osmosis."

5. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    =D=

Which is of course great advice. And believe me, if I didn't let the somewhat abysmal failure of my first game get me down (considering I had new ideas within a week of that), then I won't let myself worry about this.

On a completely unrelated note, nice avatar :p

6. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Garrus is making me more garrulous, I think. :D

7. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    The Padawan's elbows clunked onto the ship's console. "Master, what are we going to do? All of our brothers and…"

"I know, Padawan," the older man interrupted his student, before sighing heavily, “I know."

Palpatine...how could this have happened? We trusted him…

"We can't go back, can we?" his Padawan was saying. "If the clones have turned against the Jedi Order, then…master, the Grand Army is everywhere."

Despair in the girl’s voice drew icy fingers across the older man's heart. But he couldn’t let it distract him. He had to save himself and his Padawan. Thinking on where they could hide, an idea came to mind, "The Outer Rim. It will serve, at least until we can figure out what to do."

He had raised the navicomputer's displays when the proximity alarm began to blare.

"Master…it's a Star Destr…" And whatever the girl was going to say next was drowned out by localised thunder as blue lightning crashed across the freighter's prow. Shields screamed. The vessel shuddered, a wounded animal in the night.

Drawing on the Force, the Master quickly ran his hands over the console, activating the Hyperdrive…

…just as a second salvo from the massive Destroyer washed over the freighter, sending it rolling through space, as sparks flew from the consoles…

And then it was over, the ship entered into the blue tunnel of hyperspace. But it would only last for a few seconds, as the ship let out a torturous groan before the tunnel collapsed into a star field. One that the Master didn’t recognize…

The girl was getting to her feet. "Ugh...where are we? Master?"

Where you are most needed, something whispered to the older man. But he pushed the thought away turning to examine the sparking wreck that was the nav console, "I don't know...the charts have been…"
    "Master." A strange calm in his pupil's voice. The older man looked at the girl - to see his padawan with eyes fixed out the viewport. The master looked that way, and saw it: a blue-green world looming large off the freighter's port bow, hues strangely hypnotic in the eternal galactic night.

Emergency cutout must have kicked in, he thought. He tore his eyes away from the view, instinct taking over. He flicked his eyes over the readouts. "I'll need your help - autopilot is down, and we're not going to last much longer up here." He pressed buttons; perused a display. "Atmospheric content seems to support life."

"Do you know which world that is, master?"

And for a second, he thought he did - something about it all lingered on the tip of his tongue. But then Master Sule was pressing buttons, turning to the task of preserving the tiny capsule of the freighter's protective bubble long enough for them to land. "I suppose we are about to find out."

[​IMG]

Tython, the forgotten homeworld of the Jedi Order. Abandoned since the time of the Ruusan Reformation, the world had entered into obscurity to all but the most dedicated Jedi scholars. And even they assumed that the world was empty of any Jedi, aside from those in the many graveyards on the world.

However, they were wrong. The best kept secret of the Jedi High Council, was the relative handful of Jedi who had stayed behind on their ancestral home. Frozen in carbonite, for a reason that was lost to time, these Jedi slumbered in the deteriorating Tython Temples. Eventually, they were forgotten even by the Council, just as their home was.

But even if the reason was forgotten to time, the Jedi would serve a purpose nonetheless. Centuries after even the most devoted scholars had forgotten Tython, the Jedi Order would be nearly destroyed from within. With the traitorous Darth Vader leading the former Grand Army of the Republic against them, the few remaining Jedi fled far and wide. A pair of these refugees would stumble upon Tython, and awaken their ancient brethren from their centuries long sleep...

[​IMG]

Forgotten by time, you are one of these Ancient Jedi. Only you know the true reason you were frozen, all those years ago. But now, you have been awoken from your deep slumber. The question becomes, in a Galaxy that barely resembles what it was when you last saw it...what will you do?

You have the power of the Force behind you, but in a Galaxy hostile to your very kind. As a Jedi, you can barely comprehend this. But you must, for your sake, and for the sake of your nearly extinct brethren.

In a Galaxy fallen under the iron-boot of the Sith...you must do what you can to survive. And take the fight back to the Sith.

But a small part of you wonders if you should just give in and join the Sith. Will you give in to these traitorous thoughts and join the Dark Side? The temptation is strong, as it always has been. But the Dark Side was stronger than it had been even when you were put into carbonite. In the end, the choice remains yours and yours alone...what will you do?

Your Character:

Obviously, this game will revolve mostly around Force Users, whether Jedi, or Dark Jedi. I won't limit your choice here. Choose whichever you prefer, just know that we all start on Tython. And that we all begin as Jedi. You can still go dark, but you won't start that way.

Here is the CS:

Basics:
    Name:
    Species:
    Home Planet:

Appearance:
    Skin Color:
    Hair/Fur Color:
    Eye Color:
    Height:
    Clothing:

Bio:

Jedi Rank and other information:

Lightsaber:
    Amount:
    Type:
    Color:
    Lightsaber Form:

Skill Set:
    Force Strengths:
    Force Weaknesses:

Rules:
    1. No god-modding
    2. GM-word is final
    3. Send CS to GM (via PM) before posting
    4. No rank above Jedi Knight/Dark Jedi Knight (for now)
    5. Have fun!!

(Credit goes to Saintheart for helping with the opening)

Third times the charm eh? I think that's finished.

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    One quotation mark missing off "I know" up there, but otherwise 'tis good :p

9. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Whoops :p

*fixes that*

10. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    *pokes it with a stick*

Well, it didn't pull an Alderaan so I think your good :p

11. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Well, I liked the idea of the guys staying on Tython, especially because it explains why they do not turn up on endor to save the day without the obvious explanation . . . they´re all suffering from "death-by-vader" . . .

In the present state I wondered a bit which direction it will go, but I am sure the twists and turns will be good.

12. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Well the Galaxy is a big place. Look at Intervention for instance...they don't have to end up with the Rebellion. ;)

13. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Just a little bit of advise, as you are already up with the game I would no longer discuss it in GDG. It takes away the curiosity element. Especially if you discuss plot.

14. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Got it.

(and I'm purposely staying away from the plot. Just saying they don't have to run into the rebels, not saying if they will or won't )

15. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    An idea I think I would like to throw out there. We had a few ideas about episodic gameplay. Castaways pretty much does it (at least I try to) and I think this Arkanum game recently presented here did it too. What I wondered lately was, could we do a series of games with multiple GMs? Like a word in which GMs tell their story for an Episode and then leave again? I kinda like hte idea, because I feel every GM around here got three intensive month, before slowly fading out. Well, if we could use these three month and have it all packaged with a finale of his Episode . . . why not?

Just an idea. What does everybody think?

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it's an interesting idea - sort of like a television show with multiple scriptwriters and directors, but the same characters from episode to episode. Could be worth trying.

17. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Maybe that is something for the "Farewell Ride" project people talked about lately?

18. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I would love that. I've always been attracted to the idea of a community game which participants are meant to leave and return to, each of them playing it for a few months out of the year.

An episodic game with rotating "writers" is similar to that. We might need a Lead GM to ensure an overarching storyline, otherwise it becomes more of an anthology than a series. Though that might work too.

What's the "Farewell Ride" project?

19. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I think I might have spoiled that a bit ... it is a project which was around one or two years ago. It is meant to be a pretty intense character game in a very Neo NOIR setting. Recently two GMs, myself included, asked the creator for the permission to do it instead of him, leading to a draw.

The idea was it to use it to give some people a final game to make it a proper goodbye instead of fading away. That is why we called it the "Farewell Ride" Project.

20. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I know I keep teasing it, but I'm finally getting around to running Heroes. "Episodic" stuff may feature. Not sure how I could make it work, though.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, perhaps if one wanted more centralization, you could use an approach where one GM writes most of the episodes/chapters/issues/whatever, but then occasionally invites or puts out an open call for volunteers to GM one installment - sort of like a comic book run, where the same author will handle it most of the time but with the odd one shot mixed in. It might actually be an effective means of combatting GM fatigue if implemented properly. [face_thinking]

22. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, coming from Sirak I wonder if it would hurt anyif Castaways had a GUEST-GM for one Episode. I mean we have topics for every Episode, while the meta-plot (fighting for survival) develops in the backround. We had the crash in Ep 1, the Hunters in Ep2, the Bugs in Ep 3 and now we got some spooky (and pretty EUish) specters from the past in Episode 4. Would it have hurt to give all of those to GMs who GM the crisis at hand? I don´t think so. I would have loved to do the BUGs bit. Really.

Therefore I think it could work quite well as long as you have 2 security systems installed.

a. Head-GM to take over should a GM drop out and oversee the metaplot.

b. Plot which is tailored to work in such an environment.

But Sirak if you wanna do something like this, and you have our only running episodic game around . . . do a test-run.Give Castaways to a guest-GM for an Episode! Maybe something early in Season II?

23. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Fascinating idea. I begin looking for a guest-gm for Episode 2 of Season 2 I believe.

24. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Possibly a sort of Star Wars-themed Arabian Nights? With the head GM playing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheherazade]Scheherazade[/url].

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, although I don't recommend having three children by your players. :p