main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Game Group

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Winged_Jedi, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    With some sprucing up and a cadre of eager players, this could be good, Mikaboshi. Let me give it some thought as to if there is anything I would suggest to improve upon it.

…Stick with Korriban as the name. >.>

2. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    same on the picture, also a few nitpicks:

The question on everyone was asking however was if anyone could seize the mantle of Dark Lord and lead as Ajunta had, or would the Empire crumble now and splinter into warring factions.

the italicized section needs a slight revision, and shouldn't this be a question?

also... so very, very much yes. i would absolutely love to be involved with this. i absolutely love the leveling mechanic. it makes things so much more interesting than "do x, to earn y amount of xp, then level up from a list without showing it in game" or "do arbitrary thing then gain a level" type of things. honestly, this may be the best leveling mechanic i've seen in a game like this. that i've already thought of several ideas for this should tell you something.

also with elu on this, stick with korriban. moraband... just blech. might as well be moribund.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Is 3965 BBY the correct year? That'd be around the time Revan was alive. Should it be... Eh, 6850 or 6800 BBY?

The Exiles arrived in 6,900 BBY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Blind Prophet and Mikaboshi like this.
  4. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Before I go too far I want to say that dragonsith13 has helped me with this since I really picked it up again, it wouldn't be the same without him. The leveling mechanism in particular was inspired by his input, and he was the voice that called for as much player control as possible in regards to how characters progress and acquire powers.

It's been fun working on this with him, we still have more to do though. Can't wait to see how we incorporate feedback, even after the game launches (whenever that is, no timetable at this point) I am hoping that this becomes a living RPG where we can explore fully the birth of the Sith Empire, it's traditions, and the lineage of Dark Lords after Ajunta Pall will now be the characters in the game.

Noted: This map is a bit easier on the eyes. I look forward to future input on the mechanics. Thanks gj. :D

[​IMG]

Agreed, Korriban it is. Anything you can think of, even if it seems picky, would be appreciated.

Revision will be made, thank you for catching it.

Thank you as well for the feedback on the mechanics. The entire goal was to take the GM out of that aspect of the game, let the player determine his/her own pace and it completely removes the need for levels and points. Everything can now be earned via playing, and the pay off happens immediately upon completion of the quest arcs.

If anyone can use it, add to it, improve upon it, etc, go for it. It would be rewarding to see people run with this and create new games for the RPF.

And that is why it is important to have others review your work. Thank you! I'll take another look at that and rework it, the year really should be sometime close to the arrival of The Exiles on Korriban.

5. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    so, i have an idea for a fifth way to gain an ability. long term study, as that's something even the sith did to learn things. admittedly the other ways of learning are much cooler, but this makes sense as well. if you spend the IC time actually studying, and focusing on something then after a time, dependant on how hard what you're studying you're learning is, you gain the ability that way. obviously, like the quests, it would take longer to learn something harder, but mentioning the research you're doing in a post, or actually spending a post ON research/study of the subject, and exploring what it might possibly have been like to learn a new power could be kind of interesting as well.

depending on how complex you want to make something like that the player could be talking about research that they did before they left on a quest, since that seems like it would kind of lock you into things a bit, same with the duels. or it could always be required to be something going forward.

as to how many posts/how much time goes by to learn the ability, i think that should up to the GM. the quality of posts could help cut it down a bit perhaps, but this way someone could possibly be pursuing a few things at once, and if they just don't have time for a duel or a quest of some sort (lest they fall behind in the political/larger scale side of things) they can still be advancing their character, albeit slower.

thoughts?

Mikaboshi likes this.
  6. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I like that a lot, I would probably incorporate into that a means of finding a source for that knowledge, for instance a scroll or and ancient tome of knowledge. It could be the slow path, but definitely willing to incorporate that.

You are thinking along the lines I was in regards to how long it takes to complete the questions, the more quality and in depth the posts the quicker it should be to complete them. I'd like as much freedom as possible to explore all avenues of ways a character can learn new powers. If people want to go slow, or fast, it is up to them.

The Mad Zookeeper likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think you've got a strong core premise and game concept so my notes are essentially glorified aesthetics:

• My big concern looking at the OP as written is a slight possibility of information overload - portions of Levels/Classes (which I think is slightly redundant with the Characters subheading at the moment - most games here don't have levels or classes, so does that need extra attention? And couldn't some economy of phrasing be earned by simply pointing out right away that all players start as Dark Lord of the Sith?), Powers, and Combat all seem very unessential to the character creation process and probably should be put either after the usual broad guidelines or maybe even in a second post. They're good to know for future reference and in character posts but if I'm just joining up do I need to know about the particulars of vision quests?
    • I think the Realistic Play paragraph could be cut entirely. I get the intention but that's all stuff that's implicit unless stated otherwise - nor do I think it's going to satisfy (what I assume is) your goal of heading off potential disputes, just based on experience.
    • It looks like a game that could require a special CS so you should probably include one, rather than accepting generics.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  8. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Yes, I see where you are going. I'll play around with formatting and see about streamlining it a bit to clear up the purpose of the main post, possibly splitting it up into two posts as you suggested.

Many notes to address and inspire, looking forward to more feedback. Thank you all for taking the time to offer some thoughts. I know that each have given me something to ponder so far, it can only make the end result better.

9. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i like that mika. makes sense that you need to find a scroll or something. it's also possible that you're working on developing something from what you already know, like combining knowledge of manipulating someone's mind and shields to create force stealth. things along those lines, perhaps. but for more esoteric things? needing some indication that it's possible, even if it's just a reference to it somewhere, or being really seriously into sorcery or some such, would definitely make sense. you'd need some indicator that it's actually possible in a lot of cases to even begin pursuing it.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  10. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Was also thinking of allowing players to synergise their powers, for instance if you have Telekinesis (which everyone would have) as well as umbrakinesis you could maybe come up with a way to create bludgeoning tendrils of shadow by practicing it in the game. Afterwards maybe the character also gains the Force Drain power, if the character practices melding this power in as well s/he could possibly discover an early form of Dark Side Tendrils.

I could write paragraph after paragraph of what I would allow, as long as no powers introduced would be too broken or overpowered there are very few limits to what players can come up with to customize their characters.

11. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    so creativity rewarded. so much yes to that.

one thing i was wondering about, what species would be available for this? i'm guessing pretty much human and sith, but beyond that? would probably be a useful thing to specify, since it is in a fairly restricted part of the galaxy.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  12. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    All I've ever really seen are human and Sith (Kissai, Massassi, and Zuguruk castes all welcome), so for simplicity would probably just stick to that.

Definitely a point worth mentioning, will probably put that with the CS.

greyjedi125 likes this.
  13. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I actually miss this place. The interest measurement thread has pretty much absorbed "the traffic" of what was the games group back in the days. So I will bluntly try to reanimate this by putting a question into the room ... what were the most interesting games you NEVER did. Many of us have probably played with ideas and never did an OP or followed them.

I recently found notes for a trilogy of games set in the Dr. Who universe lately. That was back in the days of David Tennant. I had pretty clear ideas about them. They even had names. The Doctor is dead and The Doctor will see you now and the third simply called Eleven . They were pretty cool I think, but I believed we did not have enough fans of this franchise around here. Most of my "regulars" did not watch the show.

Another game that never saw the light of day was to daring and I did not have the balls to try it. Original Sins was a prequel to my SotS campaign, set in ancient Mesopotamia, ancient Egypt and the Roman Empire and told about a struggle between three divine entities and their eternal struggle from the perspective of those catched in the crossfire. I simply never got around to doing it really. Might have been a bit too high concept. But I had a lot of cool ideas, I think.

The third game I never played that I always regret was 28 Parsec Later . Basically a Star Wars meets zombies game set on Coruscant, with a bunch of characters waking up from Bacta tanks right after a zombie outbreak has devastated the planet. Oh I wanted to do this. But then I realized the gore factor might be too much. So I decided to do it as a table top game, which was really great.

Anyone's else having planned games that never happened? I would love to hear what could have been.

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I was looking wistfully at this place, only the other day!

EDIT: I and another player, Darthvaderscousin, I think, started preliminary discussions about joining forces to run a Stargate SG-1 game, but he disappeared from the Boards, shelving the idea.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I would love to GM a game at some point (after being here for over 10 years, I'm surprised I haven't given it a try yet), but it seems like time always becomes an issue. I'm also a slow writer, and I honestly don't know how that would affect updates. It always makes me nervous.

At one point, I did have an OP ready to launch, but unfortunately, I never got around to posting it. My notes are pretty sketchy, but it was a game based in the Disney universe. The best I can describe it is a combination of Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts. Basically, a good vs. evil sort of thing. And being a huge Disney Parks enthusiast, I planned to incorporate some of the more well-known locales and attractions from there as well. We did have one fairly successful Disney game in the past, but I wasn't sure if the time was right for another.

16. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Oh a Disney game or a Dr. Who game would have been something ... but nowadays I see that Star Wars or original content is the thing around here ...

I once planned together with another GM to do a "100 years darkness"-game. A big multi-character game starting with the fall of the first Sith and then go ... songod and OUR players want to ... through the whole 100 years in a series of games. Ancient barely-hyperspace star ships, navigation nodes, Jedi who use cables to power their lightsabers ... I liked the whole idea and setting. But my English is a problem when it comes to GMing. And there were big games coming g out binding the "big-games-crowd" so we never posted the OP. I had everything ready to go though. The very beginning would have been set on a pre-republic Coruscant, where various traders unite to answer the threat of a new pirate lord in the expanse region and on Tython, where a Jedi master begins to experiment with the Dark Side. Even some players had been "cast" for key roles. As a twist it would have turned out the Jedi master was luring out those who had tried to get access to the forbidden knowledge of Lettow, the first Dark Jedi. The pirates were truly an Organisation run by a Jedi Outcast who went looking for artifacts illegally traded. The obvious bad guys turned out to be grwyish and the true evil was revealed. This lead to war and war lead to the founding of the republic and the militarizing of the outcast Jedi following the Dark Side. And then the war began ... with all the alchemy created monsters, zombies and so forth ... oh I loved the idea of bio-weapons in Star Wars.

Anyway, never happened and probably never will.

Anyway, it never happened. Which is a shame.

LordTroepfchen likes this.
  17. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'd be as liable to do a history game as anything else, these days.

18. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Games I haven't played ... oh my God they must be legion. For ten concepts I came up with I probably did one. I always wanted to have one of the great ABYverse games. Anyone remembering those? But between 128 and 133 there was not enough room. It also always felt like the Saga of one young Jedi Woman to me. So all that was left was a Spin Off, which I kinda never felt was something I was good at.

SotS, yeah worked on a dozen prequel/sequel ideas. None came to the point I wanted to announce them and then SotS became a distant memory of greatness. The last great game before the shift to the new boards. Concluded actually on the interim boards! Anyway, I had missed my point in time when players still knew what SotS was and wanted more.

I had an idea for a far-future Star Wars. Actually Sir_Draco took it and twisted it into The Forever War. Mine was very different and more inspired by an unused The Force Unleashed concept, the Dark Resurrection Fanfilms and the Night Watch Series. Maybe I come back to this one day. Probably not.

So two ideas I had that finally come to my mind. I wanted to do a Victorian Horror game that actually would turn out to be a Lovecraft game. I just did not believe I'd find an audience.

The other one was a Hogwarts-Style game of a Jedi Academy. A game that plays year by year of a Jedi training with new players being able to come in as younger pupils and older ones leaving as full fletched Padawans. This was meant to be an ongoing game that would make it easy for new players to join and tell a good story anyway. I decided for a different concept and ran that one. Did not last that long. Doing basically a High School game in Star Wars is something I love as an idea though.

Oh and I always wanted to do a game in a space station. Where people come and leave and plots slowly develop while focus is on smaller stories and more personal relationships. Had some ideas, but not really came to the point to consider doing it ...

There were many more. In my days I came up with games constantly.

Anyway, I feel like we could use a game that easy accessible top players again. Any newbie coming here will be confronted by massive Fanon projects and niche games. What we could use is one game people can join easily. A broad one. I won't say "flagship" as that always referred to quantity. But these games also had a quality, that is very good for the boards. They were the natural entry point for people coming here to play. But that is probably another topic.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  19. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Honestly not a whole lot for me, as I wasn't very shy about launching a new game almost at random back in the day. Would still like to have that corrupted hard drive back with all of my RPF notes on it though.

20. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I must say I would have been tempted to sign up to many games that never happened!

Now that Star Wars belongs to Disney a Disney game would make so much sense! Humor is actually so rare around here (all a lot of RPers do hilarious posts) ... maybe someone should try something lighter one day.

Let me put another question out thee. What'd I you miss? What genre do you feel is underpresented here?

The Crossing brought back "real-life" lately, one I had always a weakness for. I also liked Horror Games a lot. Writing is so good to make creepy games. I would love to see a good horror game. Humor as mentioned above was never strong. Oh and I miss the "movie-like" Star Wars games. The ones not grounded in sub-franchises, but those who let everyone start in the universe we all know and love. Amazing how few Empire vs Rebel games are out there, really.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to say, I'm still very tempted to launch that Disney game. As you said, with Disney now owning Lucasfilm (and Marvel), it opens up so many pathways. I just need to ensure that my schedule will allow me enough time to GM (and participate in the games that I already have going). It's also about gathering the courage to actually go through with it! I'm very nervous about GMing a game...but I guess there's a first time for everything. We'll have to see.

As for games that I would love to see? I'm a sucker for 'real-life' games as well (which is why I'm so 'into' The Crossing). There used to be several back in the day, but like everything else, we seem to go into cycles. I believe someone recently pitched the idea of a movie game where the players fill in the roles of the director, cast, producers, and other various members of the crew, and the goal was to go through the entire production of a major motion picture. I thought that was rather intriguing, and I'm curious to see how that would work. We have sports-related games, so I imagine it would be similar to that? And of course, any kind of mystery, thriller, drama, or horror piece is a 'must-do' for me! :p

In the realm of Star Wars, I love the sandbox type of games that have a real emphasis on character development. I haven't seen too many of those lately. Maybe Galaxy at War would fit into that category? I also love the AUs set within the movie timeframe. I guess that would span several years now with the addition of TFA and TLJ. There's so many possibilities to explore by changing one event in the canon timeline. That never gets old for me.

And if done right, I would love to see a Galactic Senate game or maybe a crossover (depending on the IP involved).

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, I can only join the choir. What I do miss? Obviously I felt we need some "contemporary" game. I love those. Darker Tide, Bad Day in L.A., of course SotS and all it's sequels. I kinda miss those. "HORROR" is something else I feel is underrepresented. Neither the Star Wars kinda Horror nor the contemporary one are out there nowadays. Then again, these are tough to pull of. I always felt I failed terribly with The Cold Embrace, despite great players and everything. But there were many who succeeded.

And yeah, I miss those sandbox games. I miss a simple game set in the movie universe where you can just sign up and play. I think that those would be good to recruit Newbies, too.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  23. Mostlymad

Mostlymad Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2017
    I would love to do a space horror RP set in the Star Wars universe. Can you imagine a Star Wars crossover between Dead Space, Doom, Alien, Predator, Event Horizon? I've so many ideas I should probably just jot a bunch down and then see where I could take it.

24. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sounds like a pretty solid concept. If you want feedback, just write it up and post it here.

25. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    So, I wanted to revive our ancient tradition of the Games Group and ask for feedback on this one.

Early Draft, so I did not use pics or any fancy editing. Basically only the body of text.

---------

Sergej knew something was wrong when he made it into the woods. He was certain of it when his contact was not at the spot in the fence that they had agreed to meet at. Ten years as a double agent made you very careful. Tonight he was simply paranoid. It had been too easy. The extraction plan was too clean. The preparation was too uncomplicated. It was almost as if they wanted him to make it out of the Czech Republic. But he was pretty sure the KGB wanted anything but one of their directors to change sides. He waited for five minutes before he lost his patience and cursing in Russian he took out his Makarov pistol and began marching back into the forest. If he hurried he would be back in Prague before dawn and nobody would ever know of this little trip.

The Americans were not reliable. They had pushed him. They had endangered him by their crude use of the information he provided. The Berlin operation had lead to a mole hunt in the Prague office and it was only a matter of time before they ...

A sound. There was a cracking sound. As if someone had stepped a branch. Sergej raised his gun ready to defend himself. He knew he was done if they knew he was here, but he still had a chance. A tiny chance.

Only that he never really had one. He never even saw the dark shadow dropping down from above. The last thing he felt was something biting into his neck.

------

Lord D'Arcy took the file from John McMillen and looked at the man. D'Arcy was in his late sixties and wearing his perfect three part suit. McMillen was more of the typical American. A cheap suit and no tie. The younger man was a steep climber of the career ladder before joining the special division of the CIA a year ago. What many considered a career grave had given him deep insight into the dark realities behind the brooding Cold War.

"We found him and two of our operatives two days ago. All were killed in a forest near the Austrian border in CZR. When my guys at Langley read the report they send it to me. Have a look at the cause of death." He simply said.

D'Arcy folded his hands over the file and made no attempt to open it. "Why don't you tell me?" He simply asked. McMillen nodded.

"Bloodloss. Complete bloodloss. Bite marks at their necks." He simply said. D'Arcy raised his brow.

"A Vampire? Impossible. Everybody knows they are extinct since the Victorian age." Now he opened the file to make sure the facts were indeed right.

"Well, we two know best to doubt what everybody knows, do we? There seems to be one left. And even worse, the Russians seem to have successfully weaponized it."

D'Arcy breathed in. "I activate my team." He only said. "We needed to fill our ranks though after the Black Sea affair."

"Fill them quickly. We need to get into this asap. I don't have to tell you of the potential danger of this."

D'Arcy shook his head. "Certainly not."

Vampires could create more Vampires.

-----------------

D I O G E N E S

-----------------

The birth of Diogenes goes back to the closing days of World War II.

In 1944 a battalion of German soldiers in Poland got massacred in three nights in a forest they wanted to use to cover their retest. There were no survivors. The Germans assumed it were allied forces who ambushed their exhausted troops. The allied knew better. When they heard about the massacre they knew the Germans had met a new enemy.

A British recon team present in the area was send to investigate. Acting in secrecy they entered the area. They returned with the first proof of the unthinkable. They captured a man who could turn himself into a creature half man and half wolf. A Werewolf as folklore called it.

In war there were many rumors of strange happenings. The "Poland discovery" made the allied forces re-evaluate these rumors. A task force was build to investigate such rumors and found many to have more truth to them than anybody expected. In 1945 this unit managed to capture a base of the German SS special division for the occult, Ahnenerbe. They found hundreds of files on occult phenomenons and deep in the catacombs of this base they unearthed the remains of terrible experiments to weaponize the occult findings. The Germans had tried to turn the war by using their occult knowledge. The content of this lab were called "unspeakable".

Then Germany lost the war and not long afterwards got divided. Many of the former Eastern European bases of Ahnenerbe fell into the hands of the USSR. The allies understood the danger this might pose to the balance of power. Quickly the task force was developed into a secret organisation consisting of members of all the NATO countries. Also military in nature the Diogenes, as the organisation called itself, had a strong scientific arm and deep connections with the Western intelligence organisations. Their mission was simple. IRC. Identify, research and if necessary contain supernatural threats.

Over the next twenty years Diogenes hunted occult tomes, Werewolves, Ghosts, demonic possessed and many other creatures considered legends by the common people. They discovered unspeakable horrors and long lost knowledge.

In 1973 an operation near Odessa ended in a desaster when a combination of KGB operatives and a very aggressive Ghul decimated most of Diogenes forces. Therefore the organisation began a new round of recruitment to quickly fill their ranks again.

This is where you come into play. Soldiers, agents, police men, scientists and scholars from all NATO countries have been recruited and the existence of the supernatural was revealed to them. They were trained by the senior agents of the Diogenes. What nobody could know, was that this new Generation of Diogenes members would face the organizations biggest challenge yet.

-----

Characters:

You can be from any job or background that makes sense for an organisation like the Diogenes. But they recruit only the best of the best and bring them to their Headquarters in London.

Character Sheet:

Name:
    Equipment: (keep in mind these are the seventies)
    Bio:

RULES:

- GM word is law
    - No godmodding, meta-play or the like is allowed.
    - An update is expected of players within ten days. If a player can't make it, the GM will reserve the right to take over to move the story along.
    - All CS must be send to the GM for approval.
    - Any questions, PM me.