main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Game Group

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Winged_Jedi, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think my attitude towards this is absurdly colored by my own biases, but what the hell, let's do it anyway!

Pictures
    I like comics. I like films. Both of these are primarily visual media. Therefore I am pro-picture. That's... really all there is to it. Character photos, scenery, abstract images meant to depict a state of mind, colors, lights, gifs, the whole nine yards. They need not be literal, either, but I've yet to see anyone really take advantage of that aspect.

Music
    If I had my way, every single post by anyone ever would have a music track associated with it.

Yeah, I went there.:p

See, even if it doesn't really fit the "mood" or seem appropriately "cinematic" - who cares? At some point you have to look at the roleplaying game as its own, unique sort of beast, and I think it's feasible to consider music part of what makes the medium different. The way I see it, a lot of people probably listen to music while they're reading posts, or writing posts, or thinking about writing posts, or thinking about the game in a sort of "Oh yeah I should post in _____" sense. So why not provide the readers with the music that you were listening to while writing a given post? It can be a theme you chose in a conscious sense, or even just whatever song was playing in your media player at the time. But then, when we go to read your post, we can cue up the track you provided, and that helps us get into your frame of reference for writing the character/update. I think that's really ****ing cool and, in a way, an extension of the shared sonic expressionism that music is all about.

TL;DR - MUSIC AM GOOD, HA HO.:p

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Back when I started attaching songs to my posts I tried to find things that reflected something in the post. Then I started to find that whenever I did that, the post started warping to fit the song, and it became awkward, so I tried slowing down with it a bit. I know for a fact that I was one of the first folks to start adding soundtracks to my posts, but I didn't really do much with it other than have it as a fun little addition that you could listen to if you were so inclined.

I think Winged really codified the concept, though, and in Man Cubs he let it shine. He also tolerated all the links I'd attach to my posts, so that was cool :p

Anyways, I am a musician in what little spare time I have these days (a paid musician, nonetheless), so music is incredibly important to me on so many levels. I basically can't think of life without music; it's not like it's some big "Oh man, music speaks to my soul" mumbo jumbo, I just consume music at a ridiculous pace. I love some and hate some, and I just like to share things I think are cool, really.

In writing up OPs and introductions as a would-be GM, though, I try to relate the soundtrack to the mood I'm setting. More often than not I will write an entire post with one song in mind, look it over while the song is playing, realize I hate that song, and go find another that sounds better to my ears. Most of my favourite things in music are totally off-the-cuff, so yeah. :p

And by no means should everyone feel obligated to click on my music links, but I do strongly recommend it if only because I wanna share cool stuff with you guys! :D

3. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Well. Those who care. The obvious answer.

Which is what it comes down to, in the end. What do you wanna achieve with the game you´re doing, right? Is it social experience to you, share anything you want to. Music, blog links or a social discussion . . . go ahead! If you wanna make cinema for the head, try to get a good piece to add to the atmosphere. I never got warm with adding soundtrack to my posts. I tried it a few times, but I always felt it is . . . for the fun of it, and somehow not fun at all. ManCubs had an awesome soundtrack though. Some SotS posts simply come alive through their music, especially the ones in part one. I love that Johnny Cash is an in-game character and his songs seem to be a perfect fit. My games never had such a fit, really.

So add them for additional experience? That is fine if that is what you wanna do. If not, it obviously is a mistake. If you get your kick out of making games as cinematic as anyhow possible, you need to make that decision on a post-by-post basis. And if you can´t do it, just leave it. Many good games did not go there and went far anyway.

Playing the piano myself, I think my perfect soundtrack would be one I do myself. but recording soundtracks is probably a bit tooooo ambitious. :p

As a remark: Pen&Paper games have soundtracks since the early ninties, when tapes turned into CDs. I remember burning my first soundtracks for thirty euros to play them in my KULT group. The Crow and House of Pain pretty much dominated that one. Later I had a lot Thiervery Corp and K&D to use. Tricky. Kieran Yannan. I loved the "A Beast I am . . . " official soundtrack CD from White Wolf. That was pure awesome. Today we got every imaginable soundtrack on youTube and I feel it is hard to choose. Maybe we actually have to easy access to music. At least for an old man like me. :p

Pictures are mindsetting devices. Even abstracts like Fin´s (I suspect totally plot-unrelated, metaphorical)pics at the beginning of SotS set a certain mood. When I think Lea Monde I think of that preview pics with a big II Winged posted. When I think of Summer Place I think of the guy with the umbrella. When I think of Max Payne 3 there is that black and white art. A good picture can really help get everyone down to the same idea.

Where do I get my pics from? Deviantart.com never let me down, actually.

4. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Once again I´ll reflect on this more as a player, as I did not use soundtracks when I GMed, but it was something I enjoyed greatly when they were "en vogue".

But first of all . . . cinematic use versus meta-communication with the reader. Well, I think RPing is a "beast of it´s own" as Ramza says, but I seriously think it is not that kinda beast. This is not an extended social board and I know music feels totally deep and expressive when you are in a certain age, but without any offense meant . . . could we allow Roleplay to be Roleplay and use the two million music forums in the world plus our own three social forums for sharing our music tastes? Because I might be interested in what your character does, but not necessary in what any player did in real life while writing that up. It is too meta, too social for my taste. Kinda like personal PMs by people you do not actually know. I haven´t asked for personal info, so please don´t provide any. I reserve the right to play with people and play only, without sharing my life or have to participate in theirs. Otherwise it actually is not anything that has anything to do with RPing. So I feel if you do a post and you add music - there are two reasons for it:

1. The music plays in scene.

2. The music adds to the post and it´s content.

Both are good reasons to. Both need a good choice of songs and therefore a rather good knowledge of soundtracks and music and because I do not have that, I don´t dare to do it. Obviously I hear music, but I do not hear soundtracks, which makes it impossible for me to pull off a good selelction for a game. Or I coudl do it, but with so much work, it really is not worth it.

Pictures are a different thing. There are a million databases with pictures, from Wookieepedia.com to any art site. The question is how you choose them. Not where to get them. I use those whenever I can, because I feel RPs (SW in particular) usually imitate visual media. So visual content is often key to setting scenes. But I think until today I am more in the writing character design deparmtent and not too familiar in the visual department. If I see stuff like the SotS intro, or After the Rain teasers on introductions I realize that I might be more careful and picky in the future when doing this kinda stuff. Because I think colour choice and so on can give your multimedia so much with so little effort.

5. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Alrighty. I've been looking forward to this topic, because it's become an increasingly prominent part of the way we GM here, but it hasn't really been discussed in any depth before.

On Music:

By your players-

Gotta disagree there Sirak. First of all, music as we currently use it is entirely optional. And secondly, when music is used by players, the purpose should primarily be to help other people get into your mindset. That's not overly social or personal. It just facilitates better interaction, because we understand your frame of reference better.

I'm completely of a mind with ramza on this, and actually he himself is a great example.

There was a scene we did in Man Cubs where his character got captured and ended up having a lavish meal with his adoptive parents (who he thought were dead) in the palace of their oppressor, Shere Khan. I had originally intended this scene to be much darker in tone, almost sadistic. But ramza's perception of events was more surreal- and his choice of music, "Strawberry Fields Forever", emphasised that. Once I understood how he was perceiving events, I was able to adjust the tone of my posts to work better with his. His character ended up becoming Khan's favourite pet rather than his prisoner. Would I have picked up on that without the music? Perhaps, but a few psychedelic chords established that mood far more efficiently. Text can be ambiguous, and we aren't always able to pick up on the tonal nuances in other people's posts. Music helps us bridge that gap.

It also helps players feel more involved, I think. Peng liked to share it and I saw it as a sign that he was investing in his posts. He actually wrote a cracking track for Man Cubs, which was a highlight for me. It was great to see someone embracing the gameworld to that extent.

By the GM-

There is a slight difference here, because the GM's choices have an "official" stamp to them. So you have to think a bit more about what would fit into your overall vision, rather than just trying to get people into your current frame of mind. Maybe. Personally I didn't really care, I just put what I thought sounded appropriate at the time, and people could click if they wanted to.

But if actually done with care and planning, a GM could put together a much more coherent listening experience. Something more akin to a proper soundtrack, rather than a fairly random compilation. Fins has come close with his four themes for Sins, but obviously that's only a small number.

And of course, as LordT points out, the highest form of soundtrack would be one you composed yourself. I'd love to see someone do that one day. I'd play that game no questions asked.

Where to get it-

Unfortunately, Youtube isn't the most reliable anymore. And as Fins pointed out, it's largely pointless for those of us in Germany. I don't really know what alternatives are out there. Soundcloud or something? It would take a lot more effort.

On Pictures:

Ach, I don't have much to say that hasn't been said. I suppose the only downside to pictures is that you might become too reliant on them to convey information. And unlike music, they're not optional- we all see them. Which means that you've got to give more thought to what you use.

I have to say that Fins in particular is a master at choosing pictures. Always has the right picture for the moment, always gets my attention.

On Video:

No mention of this so far, eh?

I don't know how you would incorporate video into a game, but I'm sure it can be done. I've used it in a couple of trailers just because I love trailers and I get a kick out of making them. Doesn't even have to be a proper video, as such. Just put some pictures and music into movie maker and stick 'em together. I really dig that stuff and I'd love to see it done more.

6. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, the interesting thing is I actually got one theme too many (which I can justify), because most movies only have three themes nowadays. All other tracks are those three themes in a scene-fitting reinterpretation. Problem is, I cannot do this with my three themes. So I am stuck with them, at it is. Adding more makes it a wild tapestry of themes which is not a soundtrack, but a collection. Therefore I reuse themes again and again.
    Writing a game after the music would therefore work. Obviously this is really hard to pull of, if you do not write your game AFTER the soundtrack. Or you could remix stuff. Both is pretty much effort for . . . in comparison . . . relatively little result. Music adds to scenes, it doesn´t make them.

But indeed, if you really did it yourself you could arrange this perfectly. But that would be totally over-the-top, obviously. If someone ever feels like doing something like this, though . . . I would join out of sheer respect for the passion he has.

7. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Indeed I believe a coherent listening experience gives a lot to a game. Few games had soundtrack, but when those followed some kind of concept, I always felt it became increasingly interesting as a lurker (or player) to hit those links. Lea Monde used quite a lot computer game soundtrack, actually. I liked that, as it commented on hte origins of the game as an adaption of a game. 133 ABY - The Dark Odyssey relied on a single composer largely. Two Steps to Hell and their epic themes added a certain something there, surely. The endless violins of SotS and the Clint Mansellish touch set it apart from other games, certainly. So did the sometimes strange, surreal posts of soundtrack by Ramza for A Summer Place.

Concerning videos. I have seen a game recently on another board which is a one-on-one adaption of a computer game, using the cut scenes of that game! when players reach point b. the cut-scene played at point b. happens. Lovely, actually. The players seem to love it. Two years in and not a single drop out.

8. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Seeing as we're shutting up shop on the 21st, we'll just let this discussion continue until then.

That cutscenes games sounds fantastic! Though I guess the GM has to keep the players very close to his planned plotline, and two years is a long time to do that. But if no one's dropped out then I guess it must be working well.

Would it be possible, I wonder, to construct an experimental game using everything except traditional text? Music, pictures, videos, hyperlinks? It would have to be quite abstract. I'm just musing here...

9. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Maybe a game would be too hard. I mean . . . the GM updates would be very strange, right? Games consist of "challenge/resolution" situations and you need to do challenges the other part gets and understands. They also should take into account what the player did, so you simply need to be able to adjust them. The rerason why we cannot prewrite all updates of a game before it starts is the same why we cannot pre-tape them, I´d say.

But the idea of using more of it is not so uninteresting. Using videos could be nice, also the thing is you cannot work a game around it, it owuld need to come naturally. I played with the idea of linking news reports to SotS when it was still meant to be done in "real time". I believe the game Lordt talks about is a Final fantasy game, which obviously is perfect for that. Also games where the cut scenes do not include the characters but the antagonists ala Tie-Fighter could be very cool.

10. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Ah, Final Fantasy! That makes sense. Summons and NPC cutscenes and all that. And that linking to real-time reporting idea sounds fascinating...maybe for a future game.

Here's the current queue, which we will resume once we've reached the Promised Land. I direct your attention particularly to the second item on the list: [b]Feature: The Games That Never Were[/b]! This will be a rundown of some of the greatest games that either never made it beyond conception, or which ended before play actually began. I have three or four in mind to present, and then I'll open it up to you.

So get your thinking caps on while we're away! What games do you know of that never made it to the public eye? Perhaps there were some great ideas you yourself had that you've come close to running in the past? Get the cogs whirring now.

[b][u]The Waiting Room[/b][/u]

1. Disc: GM Techniques and Secrets
    2. Feature: The Games That Never Were
    3: OP: Lukes_Apprentice
    4. Feature: The First Challenge
    5. (your topic here)

While we're on the temp boards I intend to open a temporary Game Group for the discussion of a special, topical subject. You'll have to wait and see what it is! See you over there!

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Up, up and away!

12. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    I'm thinking it would be a good idea to restart the game group with clean slate. I don't know about anyone else it seems to make sense and maybe the possibility of breaking it up into smaller bits should be discussed. Game submission ideas and reviews shoudl be by themselves (my opinion). Features explaining methods of creation and how it works would be fine by itself or paired with the duscussion of GM topics. I think this change in structure to be benifical itn that we can have different threads for different purposes. We have tags now so analizing how things are going to be done seems to make sense.

13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm sorry, I don't really follow what you're getting at - everything you've brought up already falls under the purview of this group.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    We started this thing on a clean slate, what, half a year ago? It's still good.

15. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Forget I said anything my opinion doesn't matter.

16. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Of course it does. Every opion matters here.

17. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm willing to pick the reins up again, if no one minds.

Tell you what, L_A, I was planning to reboot the queue anyway, for fairness' sake. That's something of a clean slate. I think splitting the thread into multiple threads is unnecessary, as we don't really have the activity to justify it.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  19. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Yep...I feel like a moron for not noticing this...:oops:

In any case: RP idea from the Interest Measurement thread.
    Okay then…more detail:

Background:

It is five months after the Battle of Yavin…the Rebel Alliance has gained its first truly large victory against the Empire. But while this victory has gathered more planets and peoples to its cause, it has also drawn the full wrath of the Empire down on the organization.
    After a futile defense of Yavin, the Rebel Fleet is broken and scattered throughout the Galaxy. All around, the scattered ships and men are being hunted down by a vengeful Darth Vader and the Imperial Navy. With their safe havens dwindling, a brave Admiral starts to gather the far-flung fleet in the Unknown Regions.

Using the planet of Lehon (Rakata Prime) as a staging point, the scattered Rebel Fleet begins to rebuild. But the Empire is never far behind, and they are determined to exact revenge for the destruction of the Death Star. And through all of this, there are the independent ship captains…Mando’s, Smugglers, pirates, honest working men ™…all of them will have a role to play in the liberation, or continued subjugation, of the Galaxy.

You are the captain of one of these vessels…whose side are you on?
    Game-play:
    I’m planning on doing this as a sort of Intervention writ large, with Empire at War parts tossed in. In other words, like Intervention you are in charge of your ship. Though in this case, it can range from a fighter, to something the size of a Star Destroyer.

The Empire at War bit comes into the fact that you are running your ship in the greater Galactic Civil War, not just one planet.

As for actual role-playing…you are playing the Captain of your ship, whatever that ship may be. Anything that you do, the ship does. In the scope of the larger fleets (Rebel, Empire, Independent) you can communicate via IC posts with the other Captains to plan raids or other things like that. Or wild parties on your shore leave…that’s an option too.:p

The overall goal of this game, is to help your faction in the GCW, and fight your enemies. Depending on how the game goes, this could quickly turn into an Alternate Universe, for example:

The Rebel Fleet joins with the Independents and gets a swarm of really good players who start hit-and-run attacks on the Empire, whittling them down. Now the Empire is focusing on this group, and possibly ignoring Hoth, neatly sidestepping ESB. Which of course means Luke never has the fight on Bespin, which throws ROTJ out of whack. So we may end up building a new SW Galaxy here…and because of that, ULTIMATE CANON™ doesn’t matter here.;)

Character interaction is also important though…talk with the members of your fleet, don’t just go all John Wayne and try and fight by yourself. Get to know your allies, make friends with them, and even talk with the ‘enemy’ every once in a while.

As for the organization of the game:

Three Fleets: Empire, Rebel, Independent.

Each of these fleets gets a GM to run them, so this game with have three co-GM’s. I’m the Rebel GM, but the Imps and Indies need their own ones. First come, first serve there (though prior experience with RP's is helpful here)

Below the GM’s will be one or two (depending on player interest/population) mods to help run the game when the GM’s are busy.

Below the Mods are the regular population of players.

I’m modifying the ship list though, since I decided to bring in the new factions.

Rebel GM (me): Victory Class SD

Empire GM: Imperial Class SD

Independent GM: Providence Class Cruiser (Grevious’ ship)

The Mods’ get the same rank of ship, with the exception of the Imps, who get a Venator for their Mod to keep things fair for the other two factions.

Regular Player base get anything and everything smaller than a VSD. Anything from KOTOR till ANH is up for grabs too…so if you want a KOTOR or TOR era ship, then you can have it.

Also, to keep from killing off the player base (literally) each of the GM’s will be able to write OC ships and crews for battles. So I can write OC Rebel and Imp ships for the battles. The Regular Players can have their own OC’s too, for the crews of their ships and any fighters their ship (depending on size) may be carrying.

That’s all I have for the Role-playing aspect at the moment…if my eventual co-GM’s want to add something (since I’m new at this) they can feel free to do so.

Ship Stats:

While story telling will be the main aspect of this game (as it should) we need some sort of metric for ship battles, that way we don’t have someone going ‘nah nah! My ship OWNED your ship because I wrote it that way!!!’

I’m lifting a system from another RP I play, and its point based. Each ship has a certain number of points, and when they get into battle with another ship, the point score decides (generally) who wins. In special cases, it can have a weaker ship win though. The battles are going to require cooperation among the players, mods, and GM’s to work, since a small ship can win if both groups decide that is what they want.

Here is a tentative list:

Star Destroyers/Providence: 450 points

Cruisers: 300-400 points

Destroyers: 200-300 points

Frigates: 100-200 points

Smaller (gunships, fighters, corvettes): 1-100 points

The difference in points depends on size. For example (also a note…haven’t worked out EVERY potential ships points…that is quite the undertaking) a Dreadnaught is a mid-range cruiser, so it would be about 350 points. Whereas a Bulwark is at the high end, and would be closer to 400 points. I’m going to limit (unless the eventual Co-GM’s overwrite me) the number of the high end ships. That way we don’t have a ton of Bulwarks or other larger ships running around.

And a new idea came up from this thread…getting credits from victorious battles to upgrade your ships. So in this case, I’ll change that idea up slightly. If you win a battle, you get a certain amount of credits that go towards upgrading your ship (better shields, weapons, and so on). But if you get enough, you can jump up in the ship rankings.

In other words…win enough battles in your Carrack, and you can jump to a Dred or Bulwark.

That’s all I have for now…any comments? It will help if you have ideas to improve it (like a better system than the points I have now).

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Thinking more on it...I can see people's points with the GM thing. So how about this...scrap the Co-GM part, but keep the lower-ranked Moderators. In other words...I am the sole GM, and while I directly run the Rebel Fleet (and supervise the other two) we have the Game Mods running the other fleets. That has an added bonus, in that because I'm a College student and might be off for extended periods of time...having Mods to run the other Fleets and field questions I'm not around to answer could be helpful.

Any thoughts?

21. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    The system is kinda nice, needs a bit of squeaking, maybe. But that´s managable. So will there be a story? Is there a set up chain of events? After all you still control the galaxy. Will you use a map? The idea is great, but so far it leaves me with some questions. Means . . . that OP must be good, it must explain things and the kick off should be in a way people can learn how to handle things.

Concerning the Co-GMs and Moderator thing, I still do not see why you cannot run Imps and Rebels? Why push in additional people? I mean, this is a niche game. I think it will get a healthy number of players but probably not explode. It will be managable for one person. I hope . . .

22. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm not building it to where its ENTIRELY dependent on having other people helping me. I am only going to bring in the Moderator idea if (and I mean IF) a lot more people than I expect join. It will be a very big maybe if that is needed.

The story...basically, it will start like the background I put at the top. We'll have a Rebel Admiral (me) gathering far-flung ships to his (my) fleet, building up a refuge from the Empire, but separate from the main Rebel group (so no Luke, Leia, or Han). After that, the story would follow the over-all SW story, but with the potential for change. If the Rebel Fleet starts to batter away at the Imps enough, then they could draw enough attention that Hoth goes unnoticed, thus avoiding ESB.

So the overall story will be the overall SW story, but with potential (depending on how the game goes) to change said storyline. It will be a work-in-progress in that regard.

I'm working on the character/ship sheets, and a workable map, and should hopefully have those up later (the map will be difficult since I've never used photoshop before...but I'll manage).

EDIT: My Photoshop-fu sucks evidently...so no map unless someone else can volunteer to help me with it. I'll still have the character/ship sheets up soon though.

23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay then...Character sheet first:

General Information
    Characters Name:
    Language:
    Home Planet
    Character Traits:
    Personality:
    Habits:
    Likes/Dislikes:
    Strengths/Weaknesses:

Looks:
    Appearance:
    Picture (optional):
    Eye Color:
    Skin Color:
    Hair Color:
    Clothing:

Personal History:

Now for the ship:

Warship:
    -Name:
    -Class:
    -Weapon(s):
    -Shields:
    - Speed:
    -Crew:
    -Max Cargo:
    -GM Approved Special Feature:

And I'm really sorry for spamming up the thread...I'm just something of a perfectionist, and want to make sure that this is all correct.:p

EDIT: And what sort of tweaks are you thinking about for the combat system Draco? Just curious.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Spam is fine, it makes us look active. :p

On CSes in particular, I think the appearance section is overkill. People will either use a picture or be as precise as they want to be, and that's really just facilitated by a single "Appearance" section, rather than a bunch of subsections. Similarly, that personality section is probably too much - it's something of a controversial section anyway, and with that many fine points it creates unnecessary restrictions on organic character development.

25. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Okay then...I was trying to go for 'detailed' and 'generic' at the same time so it was familiar to people. Does this work better?

General Information
    Characters Name:
    Home Planet
    Character Traits:
    Personality:
    Strengths/Weakness:
    Appearance:

Personal History: