1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:QLD The Gamers Gaming Thread About the Games they're Playing

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by -luigi-, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Darcrider Jedi Knight

Sounds awesome. Though I should reprimand Alastair for using the phrase "personal canon" :p

Hypothetical world? Suddenly I have a headache...

In other news, I've lost my copy of Anachronox, an excellent and sadly hard to get game these days. I've checked with the usual suspects and I didn't lend it to them and forget to log it (yes, I keep a log of the lending library) so I'm a little perplexed and annoyed.

If I lent it a non-usual suspect, please let me know.

EDIT: In other news, there is a Princess Bride Game available. Basically just a string of casual games whacked together for the younger girl-gamer set. But the animation is lovely, and the voice cast is pretty good; I'd swear that's actually Wallace Shawn reprising Vizzini.

DOUBLE EDIT: That is Wallace Shawn. Apparently Robin Wright Penn also came back to voice Buttercup, but most importantly, Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya [face_dancing]

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  2. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
  3. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    In bringing back Sam & Max, giving us a Homestar Runner game series and demonstrating an unprecedented level of fan-friendliness, Telltale Games had apparently reached the absolute peak of the Respect-o-Metre.

Now it turns out we have to defy physics and respect them even more.
    They're making a Wallace and Gromit episodal series.

They're in our heads, people. And I for one don't want them to leave.
  4. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    I think I may weep openly - and for once I'm only half joking. [face_love]
  5. Magnus Darcrider Jedi Knight

If they're in my heads, I want royalty cheques :p

This is excellent news, but I've got to wonder what the art design approach is going to be for it.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  6. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    ooooh..a game I think I'd really love too!
  7. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    The fact that they want to include fingerprints in character models tells me the art design is in good hands. (The movie Flushed Away proved the Aardman look and feel was achievable without actual claymation.)

Even so, I can't help but dream of an (utterly impossible) fantasy scenario in which Telltale have several Aardman animation teams doing claymation work for a 3D Neverhood style game.
  8. Magnus Darcrider Jedi Knight

Well I found my copy of Anachronox. I must keep better records.

With the movie announced, I'm pulling TRON 2.0 out to have another bash around with it. In that vein, here's a neat retrospective.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  9. Magnus Darcrider Jedi Knight

I'm finally getting deeper into Mass Effect, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Like BBN, I'm not sure if this game would make my Top 5, but I haven't experienced such immersion in a game since Deus Ex, which was like gamer crack for me.

I went with the Mal Reynolds backstory (or the closest approximation to it) and am playing the Picard to Sammich's Kirk. It might be more fun to play the ass next time around :p

The re-jigging of old and more recent sci-fi ideas is neat. The Quarians and Geth are just the Colonial Fleet and the Cylons repackaged to a larger universe. The Asari are just the green chicks from original Star Trek, the concept expanded out (I almost said "fleshed out", but that'd be crude) to encompass an entire race. I'm appalled and amused in equal measure.

The Diplomatic Consort is what Inara ideally was in Firefly & Serenity; I'd argue it's done much better here.

Cruising around the galaxy in my stealth ship is neat, I kinda feel like The Equalizer with a hyperdrive. Though I can see why Penny Arcade said you could drown in Mass Effect, the sheer weight of missions is starting to overwhelm me, and I'm using basic navigation principles to hit every stop I need to along the way to the important destinations.

My only complaint so far is about Chief Ashley Williams. Name aside, the fact that when you meet her she's wearing pink and white armour grates. If I saw some men running around in the same colour scheme cos it was the uniform for the Eden Prime Garrison, I'd feel much better. But no, it's to remind us that's she's a woman. Which isn't really necessary cos they've crafted her from pure cheesecake; I think I'm just annoyed cos it's really not subtle.

Anyway, still going, and probably will be for a while. I just unleashed a long dead alien race back upon the galaxy, for good or for ill. Wonder if that'll impact future games?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

10. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    No, no - it isn't because she's a woman - it's because she's a girrrrrrl.
  11. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Well let's not quibble about details here :p

Heh, I used the word quibble... Actually I'm not even sure it is a word. Meh, again I'll not quibble about details either :p
  12. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In (mild) defense of the pink armour, Magnus, it is actually a very good piece of kit as it regenerates health. Neither here nor there, I know, I'm just saying. :p

The Quarians and Geth are just the Colonial Fleet and the Cylons repackaged to a larger universe.

Yeah, I really dug that. Spend some time talking to Tali, she's full of really wonderfully thought-out details about Quarian culture, and generally how they manage to survive the life they lead as a race. It's the kind of details you'd expect Battlestar to take on if the fleet was forced to stay out there for hundred and hundreds of years, rather than just four. Plus I find Tali to just be a really endearing character for some reason, and I always really enjoyed going down to the engine room to talk to her when I had some down-time.

Frankly, you're not missing a great deal if you skip out on the subquests. You'll get less XP, obviously, and it can be a lot of fun cruising around the planets in the Mako, but it's definitely more expedient to just skim past the interesting systems out there. Do definitely go and grab Bring Down The Sky if you haven't already, though, since that's got a nice fun diversion with more variety than the planet-trawling you otherwise do.

Great to hear you're enjoying it, though. I figured it would be right up your alley. It's nothing particularly deep or profound, but it sucks you right into its world and gives you a really solidly fun ride for the entire playtime. Word is that it's going to become something of a franchise, and that's honestly not something I'd object to. There's a lot of stories to tell in that universe, that's for sure.
  13. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I finished Mass Effect, and while it's a very good game, the ending left me kind of meh. It felt a little rushed, which doesn't seem right given the development time spent on this game. I think I'd have felt better if it wasn't all, "We won...today. But The Threat is still out there!" with Shepard leaving the Council to congratulate itself on a job well done while he goes back out to save the galaxy single handedly because he gets results, dammit! :p

I missed saying this before, but I gotta say I loved the turians as a race, and Garrus as their representative. They're just dragon-born from D&D, but I like how they use Goliath from Gargoyles as a template, big, ugly, brutal, martial, but noble and cultured as well.

Captain Kirrahe (named for the hill where the 101st Airborne's Easy Company trained back during WWII?) was also a neat minor character. Hope he comes back.

Some spoilers:

The revelation about the real threat was neat...until it started talking. There was something about the all powerful, all-knowing, incomprehensibly alien entity that just annoying. Okay, so you're old and powerful, we get it. Then again, maybe I was supposed to think that. But really my first thought was, "So...they're the Shivans." I suppose I'd have felt better if there was a dialogue option to respond snarkily to "We have no beginning" with "You don't know, do you?" :p As a reimagining of an old sci-fi idea, it was the only one that fell kinda flat in the whole game.

I did like that it resented the Geth adoration. I wanted to yell "Hey Cylons! Your God hates you!" [face_laugh]

The first confrontation with Saren was neat. I loved that Shepard Kirks his way out of it =D= Also, full props to Saren for taking the noble way out in the end.

The Prothean Hail Mary was a nice touch too, though I'd picked the thing about the Relay Monument early on.

Not sure I'll play through this again straight away, might work through BioShock and Assassin's Creed again first. Despite my complaints, this is a very good game, and I will have another crack at it, if only to sass the Council at every opportunity.

And I did download Bring Down the Sky. Now was it just me or on the Paragon path is that just a pro-Republican message right there? :p

Also, the patch killed my sound. Had to manually edit the .ini files to fix it. Somewhat annoying.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  14. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We have a date! Episode 1 of Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People will be released on Monday the 11th! :D Those of us who will be getting the PC version rather than the Wii one (so most of us, I think) can toddle off to that link above and pre-order the whole 5 episode season for 35 of our Earth Dollars.
  15. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Woo! [face_dancing] As soon as I get paid... Hang on, I get paid on the 12th anyways.
  16. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    I've placed my order, as I assume will all the people I admire and respect around here :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  17. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    I just finished Mass Effect AGAIN. Great googely moogely I love that game. On the second play through, I made sure I did as many side quest as I could and I would take my sweet time. I just loved soaking up the story in the game. The universe was really fantastic, and I would love to see some more games set in it, and not just in the Mass Effect series.
  18. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    I plan on going back to Mass Effect in the near future, I still want to mull it over in my mind. However I do love the universe, so I bought the two novels that were released. I'll pass 'em along to those interested when I'm done with them, which should be...approximately two weeks or so.

Currently, I'm going back to Assassin's Creed. It is sooo pretty on my new computer [face_dancing]

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  19. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Definitely would like to check out those novels sometime. for my part, I'm slowly winding my way through Mass Effect again, not rushing it, just picking it up every now and then. It's great. Really. It's very true that the plot is nothing massively profound or original. But I think the saving grace is how dang well it's told, and how it just sucks the player in for the entirety of its duration. It's an epic-scale, super-fun sci-fi romp in a universe that's phenomenally well fleshed-out if you care to dig deeper into it. And if you don't, it's still a blast to play. Love it.
  20. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Managed to sneak in 30 minutes or so of Strong Bad episode 1 before I left for work this morning, and it's great. I'm very pleasantly surprised by how good it looks. The cell shading is some of the best I've seen and it really brings out the 2D feel of the cartoons. It's really funny too, in that Strong Bad kind of a way. It's extremely obvious the Brothers Chaps were integrally involved in the whole process. Really looking forward to playing some more.
  21. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm in two minds over which version to get. I assumed from the very start I'd be playing it on the Wii. I love the idea of laying back on a beanbag / couch / similarly comfortable surface and watching it on a large screen, preferably with family or friends joining in the fun. That said, fitting all episodes on the console's internal storage will need an SD memory card and some serious rearranging.

I'll wait until it's released locally on WiiWare this Friday, and decide then if the advantages of the setting cancel out the compromises of the format.

Yet I'll probably end up double-dipping anyway, come the extras-packed DVD version at the end of the season. By this point I trust Telltale Games with my money better than I do myself.
  22. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In case you're curious, the PC download of the full episode was about 160 megs. Now conceivably that's larger than the Wii version because of higer resolution textures, but the bulk of that size is going to be made up of sound, so if the Wii version is smaller, it won't be much. I didn't realise until that conversation the other day just how gimped the Wii is in terms of storage, like not being able to run downloaded games from SD cards or anything convenient like that. The whole implementation sounds like a total mess, and it'll ruin the otherwise very promising WiiWare initiative. I'd suggest cutting one's losses, but that's just my two cents, since my PC already is my big-screen entertainment centre.
  23. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    Judging by the first four strips, Penny-Arcade's Fallout 3 series should be well worth following. Unlike most of their other PA Presents comics made for official game websites (which I usually find a little too sincere for their own good), this story is far more in line with the Penny Arcade brand of comedy. I look forward to seeing where it goes.
  24. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Finished Assassin's Creed. A pretty game with a good combat system and no resolution at the end.

Consequently, it's been uninstalled, packed into it's box, and put on a shelf, Ark of the Covenant style.

Might play through BioShock again now...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  25. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.