main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The Gamers Gaming Thread About the Games they're Playing

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by -luigi-, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    I like scrabble.

The computer just has to provide the table a little light for that one.

2. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
  3. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm in love with Advance Wars.

If you own a Game Boy Advance or DS, you owe it to yourself to track down a copy of this game or its sequel. It's a turn-based stragegy game with a ridiculous amount of depth and practically months worth of gameplay (even without resorting to replaying), and plenty of other excuses for excited italics.

I think I've spent more time on Advance Wars 1 & 2 than any other game on any console over the last year. (Admittedly my gaming obsession has faded to a casual interest, but I've still spent far, far too much time hooked on AW).

It encourages that irritating habit all good TBS games provoke: the desire to keep playing for "just one more turn" before going to sleep. Eventually you'll realise that "last turn" was four hours ago, and it's almost sunrise. The sacrifice is well worth it, though.

4. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    *Pats M_S on the back*

I'm so sorry. No Battlefield 2 for you, I'm afraid :p

I've got a P4 3.0, 1 gig of RAM and a GeForce 6600 GT, and even on that BF2 is a little iffy. But it's soon to be an Athlon 65 3500+ and a GeForce 7800GTX, which should be rather more satisfying :D

5. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I know :( .

Soon I should be upgrading to a gig of ram and a Radeon 9600XT 256M Sapphire. I probably need a new CPU but mine reaches the minimum, and I dont have enough money right now.

6. Jamesolo

Jamesolo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Try playing bf2 on a p4 2.4, with 512 ram and a fx5200 *insert picture of me crying here*. Having said that I?m more of a tweaker and 0'clocker so my machine is running to its limits. No side case panels and a pedestal fan pointed inside the case. [face_dancing] But with the amount of money I fork out for my 504's *insert another picture of me crying* I have none left over for the old pooter. Oh well back to bfv and tribes w00t!

7. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    For fans of Xbox games like HALO, there's a new game headed for my favourite console which will probably be the last one I ever buy for it!!! The game is called Farcry: Instincts - It is based on the PC game of the same name (minus the :Instincts sub-title). The game looks great and the multi-player aspect is mind-blowing in that you can build your own maps complete with weapons, buildings and vehicles.

Like a school girl giggled, did I - when I saw it in action! :D

8. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I know I'm probably late here, but I hear that Microsoft is selling Halo's script for a movie, as written by Alex Garland. As mentioned in the current Empire Mag, Halo2 had a bigger opening day gross than any movie. Ever.

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Soon I should be upgrading to a gig of ram and a Radeon 9600XT 256M Sapphire.

M_S, you really ought to go for something a little newer than a 9600. They're great cards for their time, but they're the previous generation and just can't keep up. From UMart in Milton you can get a GeForce 6600GT for less than $300, which is exceptional for the performance you'll get out of it. Best value for money you can get in a video card. It's about twice the price of the 9600, but it's still cheap and you'll be looking at almost twice the performance. Check out my 3DMark scores comparing my old 9600XT with my 6600GT:

Radeon 9600XT
    ---------------
    3dMark03: 3885
    3dMark05: 1464

GeForce 6600GT
    ---------------
    3dMark03: 7399
    3dMark05: 2862

(Note that that's with a slight overclock on the 6600. Netted me a small but noticable performance boost)

10. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I dont think I would be able to BigBoss. Because my dad is buying, he doesnt want to spend too much as subscribes to the notion of "its just a computer". :_|

Golden Eye: Source. They only need that riff when you die, and it should be awesome. :D.

11. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Just a computer. Tsk tsk. *Pats M_S on the back again* Tough break.

12. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Or you could try running your games under Linux; better performance without hardware update!=D=
    (Me: AMD XP2400, FX5200 128MB, 512MB dual-channel GEIL RAM, need bigger harddrive, tweaked XP Pro and DamnSmallLinux)
    I'm quite happy to stay a year or two behind "current" games, if it means spending 1/4 of the price on hardware...

13. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Yep, all those HUNDREDS of games that actually have Linux versions... </sarcasm>

And of course you'll be able to run those 2 year-old games you speak of better. I don't mean to diss Linux in the slightest, just to say that it's not an OS for games. If you want to play games on your PC, you need Windows. It's as simple as that.

14. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    GE:S looks nice.

Might have to play with that until DoD:S comes out. Assuming it ever comes out.

May just have to upgrade and play BF2 instead.

15. Fampa

Fampa Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    So, ah, anyone play The Sims here....?

16. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Every game has its place, so don't worry about ridicule Fampa.

Not everyone has to play a FPS or RTS. Although The Sims could be classed loosely as an RTS. Is the onlive version of the Sims available in Australia? I know it was released initially to US players only.

17. RoGuE_StreaK

Jan 24, 2005
    o_O
    Most of the recent releases I've had any interest in have been available natively under Linux; UT2004, Doom3, WoW, Enemy Teritory, Neverwinter Nights, Return to Castle Wolfenstein... plus the non-natively run ones like HalfLife2...
    I still primarily use windoze, but when I get my new harddrive I'm going to see just how much I can get to work under Linux... if FlashMX2004 works, then...
    And using the not-very-game-oriented DamnSmallLinux, I still get better framerates on the UT2004 demo than under a heavily tweaked XPPro. Be interesting to see what a "proper" desktop linux like Ubuntu can do...

18. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    To be fare more and more of the lesser known OS out there are getting wider use as customers are getting disatisfied with Windows. As such it would stand to reason that the less known OS become more widely used that more software will be written for them. It's all a matter of numbers.

That being said Linux and the like have a long way to go yet.

By the way, has anybody seen the Cinematic for Hellgate London? Well, Oh my...=P~

19. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Hot Diggity that looks sweet! I think an upgrade is required, so I can play BF2 (better graphics/speed) and Hellgate:London.
    I agree Grieyls: =P~ =P~ =P~

20. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    wait wow is available 4 linux??? not that i'm able 2 do much gaming at the mo w 1 arm and all... still can't stand the monthly fees though and the attitude of some players stinks... despite this rather exciting news i think i'll stick 2 gw

21. RoGuE_StreaK

Jan 24, 2005
    Hmm, I'm not so sure now... several people had told me it is, but my searches now don't seem to turn it up... though apparently it's officially supported under transgaming, but can't seem to find a native version off-hand...

22. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Burnout 3 on Xbox :) Very low-brow, but so much fun!

BTW BBN, what is your take on Intel vs AMD, and also chipsets?

23. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    BTW BBN, what is your take on Intel vs AMD, and also chipsets?

Put simply, for games, AMD. Intel seems to usually win in purely synthetic benchmarks, such a SiSoft Sandra, but for actual gaming benchmarks, AMD almost always wins out. My new CPU, which should arrive in a couple of days (HOPEFULLY... *glares at Fastway couriers...*) is an Athlon 64 3500+, and I've no doubt I'll be very happy with that purchase. Also, their chips run *significantly* cooler than Intel's, which is never a bad thing. Chipset-wise for AMD, there's only one real choice, and that's nForce 3 or 4, which dominates the market. If you're looking for more of a budget system there are others, but what you get with nForce is an amazing array of features, including gigabit ethernet with an active hardware firewall. Also, being the nVidia chipset, it's the only one that supports SLI (for all you lay-persons, that's Scalable Link Interface, which means chucking 2 nVidia video cards into one machine and running them in tandem for blistering graphics performance). So yeah, Athlon 64 and nForce 4, those are my recomendations. But if you're looking at making a purchase, don't take my word for it, browse around at sites like Tom's Hardware Guide and AnandTech, where you can find reviews and guides about the features and advantages of either platform. Don't buy any computer hardware until you've done a bit of research, found out what best suits your needs.

24. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Thanks! I haven't made up my mind yet, so I'll have a look around...

25. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    LOL, if u know how to use it, the AMD is a better chip all around. The only problem with it really is that it has a tendency to get rather hot.
    I'm eagerly awaiting the Radeon answer to the nVidia XT (?) series. Due out Sept or Oct, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.