main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The Gamers Gaming Thread About the Games they're Playing

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by -luigi-, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Me thinks we should start a hardware thread.

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    LOL, if u know how to use it, the AMD is a better chip all around. The only problem with it really is that it has a tendency to get rather hot.

Just the opposite, in fact. My new Athlon 64 runs about 10 degrees cooler than my P4 Prescott, and that's with a much smaller cooler than I had on Intel's hotplate. The P4 took heat to insane levels. AMD chips have always run substantially cooler.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Radeon answer to the nVidia XT (?) series. Due out Sept or Oct, I think.

You speak of the mystery chip still known only as R520, which has been beset by all manner of problems in manufacturing. It MIGHT be out in September, or hey, it might not. That's about as exact as anyone can be right now. nVidia's GeForce 7800GTX is out right now, though, and take it from the proud owner of a brand-spankin' new one (i.e. me): 7555 3dMarks (2005 version, I get over 18,000 in 3dMark 'O3) don't lie: it's so awesome I'm partway through registering my new religion so that I can worship it without fear of persecution. All hail.

And a hardware thread? Sure, if 'tis desired.

3. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well does seem to be what you are talking about, not games :p

4. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    I have a drill press, and a hot air gun. And my girlfriend works at Bunnungs.

Oh, you mean computer hardware?

5. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, we're talking about hardware as relates to game performance, so it's not really off-topic.

6. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Some would take issue to that. :p And why they would travel to such a place is beyond me. Still if issue wants to go there then who are we to argue... 8-}

7. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Check out the trailer for Dead Rising on the 360.
    XBox 360+ Zombies > You.

Does anybody here play CSS?

8. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    BBN, I can't thank you enough for this video card. So much better than my old one! I rescanned my computer on the website I posted a while back and my computer went from having about 51% of computers better than mine to 38%.

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    No worries, M_S. :) Yeah, the 9600 is a littl behind the 8-ball these days, but it's still a great card.

10. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    So tell me, where does the Radeon X600 rate?

11. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    slovenia , they love it there.

12. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Yeah, I hear the weather is good there this time of year.

13. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    ATI X600: Low-end, budget version of the X800 core. Performance would probably be on-par with or better than the 9600, but nowhere near the higher-end models.

Slovenia: A small European country nestled between Austria, Hungary and Croatia.

14. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    BBN - today's fountain of knowledge...

Really, I find that interesting. All the write ups I've read have said that the AMD runs hotter than the Pentium. Since I don't run a 64 I can't really comment on it (itself) physically, but I do know that my desktop runs hotter than when I was running the pentium (mind u my previous pentium didn't have the hyperthreading so perhaps that makes a difference - if it does no one as cared to comment on it). *shrug*

Re: Radeon, I don't much care when it comes out, I'm looking forward to the results.

15. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    That has historically been a point of difference between the two manufacturers, the management of heat. The chips by amd produce more heat and in the early days it was difficult to manage due to the lack of a tranfer plate on the chip.
    AMD seem to think that you are happier to select a cooling solution that will deal with the heat and pay a lower price for the chip.

16. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Grieyls, I have the same card and it can play BF2 (There's a new driver out for it at ATI's website). It's good, but quality FPS games from 2005-on are testing on the card.

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Really, I find that interesting. All the write ups I've read have said that the AMD runs hotter than the Pentium. Since I don't run a 64 I can't really comment on it (itself) physically, but I do know that my desktop runs hotter than when I was running the pentium (mind u my previous pentium didn't have the hyperthreading so perhaps that makes a difference - if it does no one as cared to comment on it). *shrug*

I'm not positive, but you might be right about the older Athlons running pretty hot compared to Pentium 3s, but the P4s, right from day one, and even more so with the revision to the Prescott (Presc-HOT) core ran like stove hotplates. Absolutely insane temparatures. I'm not exagerating at all when I say that my more plowerful Athlon 64 with smaller, quieter, cheaper heatsink + fan runs 10 degress cooler than my venerable old P4. The P4s were great, powerful CPUs, but I read somewhere that their thermal output per square milimetre aproached that of a nuclear power core or something insane like that. For a chip the size of your fingernail to pump out over 50 degrees, it's using (i.e. wasting) a buttload of electrical power. Thankfully, going by recent developments, Intel's next CPU core will be focussed on reducing power use (and heat) and greatly boosting efficiency. Right now, though, the Athlon 64 is the proverbial bee's knees when it comes to CPUs: cool, efficient and damn fast.

18. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    That so Goob? Well that's nice to know as my Lappy has that card in it ;)

19. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    What are the ATI X series like? They don't seem to perform as well as the newer nVidias. My laptop runs a 9700 Pro, top of the range (a couple of years ago :D). I don't have any problems with anything at all. My desktop has a newer nVidia, it is pretty special, but I think I need a new monitor.

20. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    I must now get the PSP. Wow. Beautiful. My life will not be complete until I have one. I'd take it to bed with me and whisper my love to it.

MP3 Player, Playstation2,CD Player, DVD Player ALL IN ONE. Nice.

*Loves having the luxury off not having to pay rent or buy food*

21. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    W40k Winter Assult cometh very, very soon.... Go the Baneblade!!! :D =P~ [face_dancing]

22. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will be out in November. Screen shots and preview are shiny! I'm only hoping it will work on my computer... Those of you who remember Morrowind will remember that the graphics of the game were way ahead of most of the competition when the game was released. Graphics for the next installment are certain to be the same: very, very shiny!

23. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    A few weeks ago I went to an Autodesk roadshow thing, about 3ds Max and gaming. Had the Epic guys there.
    Character models in UT2004 are about 2,500 polygons.
    Character models in UT2007 are about 2,000,000 polygons.

[face_hypnotized]

24. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Ooh, dude, UT2K7 looks frakin' awesome. That's going to be a must-get when it comes out. *Carresses shiny GeForce 7800GTX* Yes, my pretty, it shall be good...

For me, the big exciting game just about to come out is F.E.A.R. Anyone into FPS games needs to check this game out. Imagine The Matrix combined with Japanese horror movies like The Ring. Not only does it have the most amazing firefights and the most brutally smart AI I've ever seen in a game, but it is SCARY. Not in a Doom 3 'oh no, a monster's leaping out from behind a door' kind of way, but in a flickering lights, spooky noises, creeping dread, very psychologically unsettling way. It's fantastic. The demo is out, and the full version is hitting in less than a month.

25. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm getting a gig of RAM and new Logitech speakers tonite! Hoorah!

Next on the List:
    A New Prossesor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.