main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The Gamers Thread!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by sideshow212, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    all fellow console and PC gamers!

since we didn't have one yet, i am making a gamers thread!

this is a place to discuss video games.
    new, old, favorites, what you'd like to see, it all goes here...

so, lets kick it off...whats your favorite PC or console game of all time?

2. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    MS PAC MAN RULES.

There IS no finer game. Arcade. Old school. Ah, fond memories of youth. :D Whenever I'm out and I see arcade games, I always look for her. :)

IMO-Full size arcade games, Atari and NES
    are the best still. Playstation, etc. doesn't even compare. Still fun, but not the same.

Best games? There are too many...
    Ok let's see, what did I use to play in arcades and still have the NES AND Atari versions of....

Any Pac related game :p
    Centipede
    Frogger
    Pole Position
    Donkey Kong
    Spy Hunter
    Space Invaders
    Asteroids
    Pitfall
    Plaque Attack
    Pretty much all of the old movie and tv show themed Atari 2600/Com 64 games, ie: Indy or Star Wars, ET, etc.

Ahm NES only games:
    Goonies II & Legend of Zelda---the best!
    ALL Simpsons ones!
    Deja Vu
    The Uninvited
    TMNT
    Nightmare on Elm St.
    Friday the 13th
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Star Tropics
    Maniac Mansion!!!
    Ahm, there's a high school one....where aliens took over...dang, can't remember the name...anyone remember??--you have to search the classrooms for stuff and avoid the aliens...
    All Mario Bros ones
    Basically any Disney, movie, tv, superhero or cartoon ones...

That about covers it, right :p
    I won't even mention all my gameboy ones.
    But I do also own a rare VS the Goonies FULL SIZE arcade game. :p I would have bought Ms. Pac Man first, but the Goonies one is hard to find so I snatched it up as soon as I saw it. :D

You don't even want to know how many games I have packed away in storage still. I just can't remember any more of my favorites right now. :p What am I forgetting? ?[face_plain]

3. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    Right now I am playing "Knights of the old Republic" and I have got to say what a great game. I will tell you one thing though you might want to familurize yourself with the SW RPG book before you start playing.

4. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    didn't know you were such a gamer princess! :)

i still dig NES, zelda was one of teh best games of all time...

we bought a SNES for jenn, mostly so she can play tetris and dr. mario, but i got a few others like ogre battle and final fantasy III...

mainly, i love RPG games on consoles. mostly final fantasy. i have them all for the PSone and the PS2, including FF tactics! (except for III, which i have for the SNES. the ported over version isn't as good)

5. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I need an SNES so I can get the adapter and hook my old gameboy up to it. Someday. :)

6. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    game boy ruled...

unfortunatly mine was fell victim to 8-year-old gamer rage and suffered a busted screen... :p

7. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    ok confession:
    while I did really do research on different cell phones before buying mine, the actual REASON I chose it is, well, ahm... Verizon has a LOTR game ONLY available thru them, only on certain phones. :p I HAD to have it. I mean c'mon, you get to be Legolas!
    And I have an X2 and Pirates of the Caribbean game on it. And yes, I am already quite good at ALL of them. :p

When NES was big, I was in jr high. My friend and I and sometimes my sister and I would rent games from the video store down the street every weekend we could. No matter what, we beat the games. If it took all night, game genie eventually (after mom bought it for xmas), nintendo power issues from the kid I babysat next door, nintendo "hint books" (that I still own)EVEN calling that stupid Nintendo hotline :p One way or another, it was defeated.

Our old system got trashed and I was forced to buy my own off ebay a few years back and get all the games I use to love. I not only have the detailed maps I made from all the games when I bought the system, I have maps of Goonies II from jr high when I first played it with my sister and my friend. It cracks me up everytime I see them in the box with the games. :D

8. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I agree.. MS. Pac is the BEST game ever.. followed close by the original Atari Star wars the arcade game.

old 8 bit NES rocks.. and atari 2600 is good stuff too.. gonne go play maze craze right now i think..

9. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    Princess_Skywalker_, next time I have a get-together at my place (hopefully I'll have a movie night or something one of these days) Quarters are on me: I have a full-sized arcade machine running all your favorites! :)

10. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    sweeeeeet... :D

11. Jedi_Webb

Nov 15, 2002
    Oh yeah.. so I think I may have found my new "home" to hang out in.... this thread. I am a video game junkie!

Like Princess_Skywalker_ mentioned above, I too am very fond of all the arcade classics. I had a C64 with seemingly hundreds of games. You can't forget the Atari 2600... what a great system. "You are the square, you have to get around this rectangle maze, pick up this dot and move it over here, then you win" (i.e. Adventure!) My best friend growing up had Colecovision and NES, so I was always playing his games. Now, in addition to PC games, I have an XBox and Gamecube. I play whenever my family life and other hobbies permit. :)

Blah blah blah, that's enough for me for now. I'm making an icon for this thread for the website.

12. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    :eek: Holy crap. I'm packing my bags and moving to Phoenix tonight! WHEN can I play!?!?! :p

Assuming I ever get it out of storage, and assuming you all ever head my way, I will have my systems set up by then, as well as my goonies arcade game. I just don't know WHERE I am going to squeeze it in at the moment... I need a bigger place!!!

13. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    dude, my atari is hooked up right now.. :)

14. Master_R0nin

Master_R0nin Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    Sadly, the original NES passed me by, chiefly because my parents never bought me one, I had to buy my systems with my own money, and by the time I had any sort of money, SNES was on the scene...

My Favorites:

Super Mario World BEST. MARIO. EVER. Current record time for getting from first level to beating Bowser: 17 minutes.
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past BEST. ZELDA. EVER.
    F-Zero First game to ever give me Nintendonitus (cramping of the hand from gripping the controller too hard).
    Super Metroid BEST. METROID. EVER. Though I never played any other, I don't see how anything could have matched it.

My next system was the N64, favorites there included:

Mario 64 Darn good Mario game, but not as good as SMW.
    Blast Corps. Destruction at its best, and fastest.

I had other N64 games, but soon dedicated myself to my true love, even though it had been there all along. PC.

What started with Dig-Dug and Chomps (low-graphic knock-off of Pac Man) continues today with Battlefield 1942, Quake 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and others. What follows is my ever changing top 40 list of computer games, in no particular order, except the first, which is my all time FAVORITE GAME:

1) Quake
    2) Quake 2
    3) Quake 3
    4) Unreal
    5) Unreal Tournament
    6) Star Craft
    7) Star Craft: Brood War
    8) War Craft 2
    9) Diablo
    10) Diablo 2
    11) Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction (expansion)
    12) Command and Conquer
    13) C&C Red Alert
    14) Clive Barker?s Undying
    15) Max Payne
    16) Half Life
    17) Half Life: Opposing Force
    18) Half Life: Blue Shift
    19) Need for Speed 3
    20) Need for Speed 4
    21) Need for Speed 5
    22) Doom
    23) Doom 2
    24) Serious Sam
    25) Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
    26) Dungeon Keeper
    27) Dungeon Keeper 2
    28) Descent
    29) Magic Carpet
    30) Magic Carpet 2
    31) Sin
    32) Sim City 2000
    33) Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    34) Nox
    35) The Summoning
    36) Wolfentstein 3D
    37) Zeliard
    38) Jedi Knight 2: Outcast
    39) Battlefield 1942
    40) Thexder

Don't worry, I copied and pasted that from a word doc. ;)

15. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Joust, Tempest, Tetris . . . serious Tetris addict

Tekken (the original. . . fav. character - King)

Because I was forced to watch my ex play Resident Evil over and over, etc. I am not a PS, Gamecube, Nintendo, etc. fan.

Now, my favorite non PC/console game --

SkeeBall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    skeeball is good :D
    It's God's favorite pastime after all.

My favorite non-arcade game at D&B... THE BASKETBALL COMPETITION GAME!! [face_devil] (ESPECIALLY the look on the faces of any of the guys I manage to beat) mwahahaha....

But she's just a girl??? ?[face_plain]

17. Master_R0nin

Oct 18, 2002
    A few words about some of those titles:

Quake: a game that kept me online more than I was off, a game whose initial installation space was 85 MB (roughly) but now takes up more than can fit on a CD, a game that even after 7 years, I still have it on my hard drive, the game that molded my reflexes to what they are today, a game that TO THIS DAY causes my hands to sweat due to the insane ferocity of it, ferocity that is still unmatched, THE game spawned the mod community that began what we have today (capture the flag, Team Fortress, the beginning of team effort that led to the creation of Counterstrike, BF1942, etc.), the game that spawned 1337 sp3ak (WTF, Llama, LPB, HPW, etc.), the first game to be TRUELY 3D (not 2.5D like DOOM), the game that brought LAN parties mainstream, the game whose netcode brought the world together to kill eachother easier than any before it.

Sigh, that's it for now. Much more posting in this thread from me to come, you can believe that.

18. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Webb, as of this moment, YOU ARE MY NEW HERO!

I'm not worthy, I'm no worthy!

After atari, I pretty much left gaming to my little brother. He had an NES and a SNES, that I got to play once in a while. My brother bought my a PS for Xmas but I never played it and I eventually traded it for some magic beans. Darn things never worked right.

My all time favorite game on Atari: Centipede

On NES: CONTRA

I am now getting back to console gaming, thanks in no small part to KOTR. While I wanted to get a PS2, KOTR came out on Xbox so I might go that way...unless it comes out on PS2 later.

19. Jobi-wan-Kenobi

Jobi-wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    the best new games ive played are smashbros meleee for gamecube and LOTR TTT for PS2.

20. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Wow, favorite game of all time for console or PC...
    *brain snaps*

*droool*
    meaurhhgahhfuggableeb aaahheeeennahhleepoo schweeennnah

IN CONCLUSION:
    That was the best game of all time.

Best FPS Single player game of all time:
    Half-Life

Best Racing game of all time:
    Mario Kart

Best Side-scrolling game of all time:
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Best Game to play with all your friends:
    Super Smash Brothers

Best Game to make your new friends never like you again:
    Super Smash Brothers

Best FPS Multi-player Game right Now:
    Battlefield 1942's Mod- Desert Combat

Best Stragety Game for PC:
    Starcraft

Best Strategy Game for Console:
    FF Tactics tied with Ogre Battle

Best RPG of all time:
    FF 4 japanese/ 2 American

Best RPG for 3 friends to play for 6 years:
    Secret of Mana

Most Revolutionary game ever, console:
    Mario 64

Best Ralph Wiggum Quote involving games of all time:
    "Hello, Super Nintendo Chalmers"

Most Revolutionary game ever, PC:
    Half-Life 2 (We can have a wishlist right?)

Best Do Nothing in story for HOURS and still be entertained:
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Best "makes you see it even when you've closed your eyes" game:
    Tetris Attack

Number of reasons Sega sucked:

Best MMORPG of all time:
    I hate MMORPGs

Best Fighting game of all time:
    Mortal Kombat

Best Under-rated character of all time:
    Luigi (except in the games featuring him, which sucked)
    ---------FINALLY---------
    My Favorite Game of all time:
    FINAL FANTASY 2 (Super Nintendo)

(secondary finality- if you disagree with me on any of these.. Don't fret, the problem is that you're merely in error.

21. Master_R0nin

Oct 18, 2002
    Best Game to make your new friends never like you again:
    Super Smash Brothers

And after tonight, I would have to agree. ;)

22. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    i take it you guys have seen the demo movie of halo 2? bunny showed it to me... :eek: :eek: :eek:

23. Master_R0nin

Oct 18, 2002
    I could give reasons for EVERYONE to try all the games on my list, but I'd like to focus in on a few.

For instance, Clive Barker's Undying. This is the same horror movie director Clive Barker, authoring a game. This game was rated among the top 10 scariest games of all time.

AND I CAN FULL-HEARTEDLY ATEST TO THAT.

This first-person-shooter FREAKED me out so much, I could NOT play at night.

24. Jedi_Webb

Nov 15, 2002
    Cool, I might have to check that out MasterR0nin. I remember the first played Resident Evil... (despite the bad voice acting) there were a few parts that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. (back when I HAD HAIR on the back of my neck)

25. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    did anyone ever get that nintendo cereal?

it had like, two different kinds of cereal in one box...

not good stuff. catchy tune on teh tv commercial though... [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.