main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The Gamers Thread!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by sideshow212, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    RED vs. BLUE rocks!
    *blank*bite has become our favorite term, outside of *blank*tard!

It's so... Clerks

2. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    yea! i got my SNES star wars games today! :p

anyways...

have you seen the screenshots for gran turismo 4?

:eek:

wow! the game is almost photo-realistic now!
    and its supposed to have over 500 cars and 50 tracks, versus about 150 cars an 19 tracks on gran turismo 3...

3. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    Good Grief!! That first screenshot is incredible!

4. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    i know! it's like your in the grand canyon!

5. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Yes, I must concur with Reaper, Red vs. Blue rocks!! Episode 6 had me in tears of laughter.

On the subject of GT4. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Why can't they release that on PC?? The last good racing game ever released for PC was Need for Speed 5!

6. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Maybe I'm just a stickler for these things.. but could anyone else tell EXACTLY where the photo stopped and where the game began... and looked bad..... like an atari 2600..... or that racing game with the 3 polygons..... in arcades... in 1987...

Yeah...
    That's what it looks like. The shading looks like arshe underneath the cars, and the .....
    NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
    bottom line.

7. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    Reaper, most racing games use some sort of picture as the back ground, simply because rendering that area as a "real" place within the game would destroy most processors.

Though upon closer examination of the road, the textures are next to awful. The rocks on the right aren't even models, they're just painted over the flat landscape, and the edge between the road and the rest is a little too stark. Though I will hand it to them for the reflections (look at the car windows in the 2nd and 3rd picture), and the shadows aren't that bad.

8. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Check out the Homestar Runner RPG for the Atari 2600.

Features:

- Play as Homestar, Poopsmith, or Strongsad
    - Large world, comparable in size to early Ultimas
    - Ability to save your place in the game with a code system
    - Large amount of in-game story text
    - Turn-based gameplay
    - Magic, weapons, HP, all the goods.
    - Fight enemies from other Atari 2600 games
    - ETA: early next year
    - Will be released as a cartridge for the Atari 2600

9. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    has anyone seen the americas army game?

from what i hear, its supposed to be pretty cool for a FPS, very realistic.

(wanted to make another thread about this, mostly so OW would see it :p)

10. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    I beat Knights of the Old Republic tonight as a lightsider. I have to say, Malak was easy pickings against my awesome Force Wave (force wave, force wave, force wave, run like a little punk, recharge force powers, repeat). Great game but the lightside ending sucked hard.

SPOILERS: Oohh goody, I get another medal. And yes, Mr. Yoda look-alike, I already know you're going to tell me to be ever vigilant against the Dark Side. I would have much preferred some wrapup of the characters. Let's see Jolee rejoin the Order as a full Jedi, let's see Carth meet up with his kid, give me some more HK-47 wisecracks, something more than a freaking medal.

Though then again I guess it is consistent with Star Wars endings.

In closing this is easily one of the best games out for the XBox and a great RPG, and that's before you add in the Star Wars name.

I'm definitely looking forward to running through as a darksider now. [face_devil]

11. Jedi_Webb

Nov 15, 2002
    I just picked up Knights of the Old Republic the other night. I haven't gotten far yet, but I can already tell they have done a great job with the storyline in this game.

12. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Follow the path of the Dark Side. You won't regret it. [face_devil]

13. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Just a note, but Jennifer Hale, who provided the voice for Bastila in Knights also did the voice of Elektra in the Cowboy Bebop movie. :)

14. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    been playing suikoden III (PS2) alot lately, its one of the best RPGs i've ever played, and IMO the best game intro i've ever seen. if your into RPGs at all, i highly reccommend it...

oh, and x-play on tech tv rules... :p

15. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    Believe it or not, but I'm still playing Diablo 2. I just can't get over it, I want to finish with all the characters.

16. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    Last week I pre-ordered Star Wars: Rebel Strike for the Gamecube. For my preorder, I recieved a free demo disk containing one playable mission (Hoth) from the upcoming Rebel Strike, a concept art slideshow, a trailer for the new game, a trailer for Gladius, and most importantly, the ENTIRE Star Wars Arcade game from Atari!!

It is such a cool little trip down memory lane as I blast wave after wave of vector graphic TIEs, Gun Towers, and of course, the Death Star itself.

Rebel Strike itself is no slouch either, and it will be the first brand new game I've bought since I started working at Game Crazy. (Usually I wait until they've been out a while, and the price comes down on the used copies. Normally, I never pay more than $12 for a game this way.)

Go pre-order it now! You won't regret it!

17. JediRomero44

JediRomero44 Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2003
    I would have to say that with all the games I have played since PONG, that when I was alone, with the lights off, playing Resident Evil for Playstation back in '96, I was hooked. My shorts were full and my life was complete. There is no way we would have these other horror games without RE coming when it did.[face_plain]

18. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    i heard that rebel strike was pretty cool, and due to the lack of cool SW based games on the PS2, its almost enough to make me buy a gamecube...

19. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    I have 3 things to say...
    Max Payne 2.
    Half Life 2.
    DOOM 3.

/me mumbles and paces back and forth.

20. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I need to get back here more often. I should have figured eventually something would pop up that would spark my interest. I went shooting today. Sighted in my 30-06. Which really doesn't help since I will have a new scope before I go hunting anyway.... I guess all my years as a Sniper in Unreal tourney 1 and 2, have paid off. Never shot a rifle before in my life, and I get consistant 2 inch groupings. Admitedly, we are only sighting in for 100 yds, but that's the norm round here. I am looking for a silencer though.... I do not like the boom. I am still in school but when not in school, I am spending quality time with my PS2. When I am not out doing other things that is. Lately I have been enamoured with the DOT Hack//series. Nice games. Lovely voice work in both japanese and english. Our dear friend Spike from Cowboy Bebop makes an apperance as the voice of Wiseman, a Wavemaster <magetype> who joins you late in the second part of your quest. I really like the fact that when finished with the first part you can import your game directly into the second, and pick up from where you left off. And then on into the third. However, I have beaten the third part, and am still awaiting the fourth part. So now I ahve picked up Final Fantasy II from my origens pack. At the start of every random encounter in the main world, I have each of my characters wack themselves. Thus they gain HP much faster. It Makes for scary times when they crit themselves.... I don't agree with the number of hits they generate though. Except for my mage, all my caracters dual-wield. So when My main guy wacks himself 9 times with his sword, twice, and doesn't kill himself I start to wonder... And how one guy can stab himself 10 times with two different spears, I don't know.... I am really looking forward to Jedi Academy, and am still trying to answer that age old question. Dual Lightsabers, or a saberstaff? I am also looking forward to FF XI, and think that like Sideshow, I to shall play it on my PC. Why? It has nothing to do with the fact that the PC's get it a full four months before the consoles do, No it has nothing to with my desire to stay ahead of the power curve, not lag behind..... No really it doesn't. Honest. :) Yak at ya later my friends.

Ja Mata.
    -Phoenyx

21. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    comin' down the grapevine... :D

September 25, 2003 - In an odd twist, all those rumors of a Final Fantasy VII sequel from Square Enix have proven true. Is it for the PS2? Is it for the PSP? Is it for the Atari 2600?

No, no and (thinking...) definitely no.

The upcoming issue of Japan's Jump Magazine, a popular comic magazine that every now and then contains exclusive world-reaching videogame announcements, contains first information and pictures from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. This new product isn't a game -- it's a direct-to-DVD computer graphics movie.

As the name may imply, FFVII: Advent Children is a successor to the FFVII storyline. While few solid details have been revealed, it's known that the story takes place two years after the events of FFVII (note: we're not sure which "end" is being referred to -- the end of the events involving Cloud and his silent commrades, or the end involving the Red XIII dude). Something happens to disturb the peace that was returned at the end of FFVII. Images revealed from the DVD seem to show Cloud and Sephiroth, but that's about it.

A Japanese release is scheduled for 2004. No word yet from Square Enix regarding a possible stateside release of the product. The images included in this article's media page were scanned by some folks in Japan who have access to the issue of Jump ahead of time.

22. Jedi_Webb

Nov 15, 2002
  23. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    I don't know why this hasn't been suggested before, but we need to have a console gaming night...

24. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    Speaking of which....

At Hexacon this year we're trying to put together a cosole tournament room. Basically, people will be able to play head to agaist others for prizes. Games like Armored Core, Lethal Skies 2, HALO 2, Soul Calibur, and whatever else is released by then that would bea good head to head game.

I'll be sure to keep everyone here informed as the details get worked out.

25. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I doubt very much that Casfas will fund that. They are very grudging about what they give us gamers anyway.... hence the birth of Gilacon. Small yet, but done by Gamers for gamers. Ahh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.