main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The Gamers Thread!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by sideshow212, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
  2. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    Yes, this will be done by fellow gamers. The convention itself has very little to do with it, and I have *nothing* to do with HexaCon.

I'm going to be working the angles at my work to get Game Crazy to sponsor the event and donate the prizes, as well as provide/loan the equipment for the event.

3. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    seriously considering driving out for this next year...

quakecon

imagine, if you will, thousands of people in a room, LAN gaming for four days! :eek:

4. Master_Ronin

Master_Ronin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Sigh...yes, my brother was there for QuakeCon 98. Good times.

5. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    so i'm sure most of you know by now that we have to wait until april 04 to get half life II... :(

thanks to someone hacking valve and stealing a useless 1/3 of the source code... :mad:

6. Darthcod

Darthcod Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2003
    My favorite game I would have to say Star Wars Galaxies

Darthcod

7. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    April 04!?!?!?!?!?!?!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    yea, bummer...

check out this shirt though... :D "wait in style" :p

9. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    Max Payne and company are currently keeping me company. Such a fun game.

10. Abian_Evad

Abian_Evad Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2003
    I have to say Clive Barkers Undying is A pretty cool game and scary, but my favorite game right now is Star Wars Galaxies

11. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Ronin: How does it compare to the original?

12. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    Well, it has been called a add-on pack bundled as a game. I say it harkens more to the old days where a sequal didn't mean a complete change in engines and story. Same style of gameplay, same type of story telling, improved graphics, VASTLY IMPROVED physics engine (they're using the Havoc engine, same as Half Life 2). If you were a big fan of the first, you should consider it. It is fairly short, I'm almost done with it, and I bought it Friday...but most games like this you can't expect to last much longer. Like before, they have extended gameplay options, higher difficulties, time limit modes, etc., that become unlocked after you finish other modes.

13. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    BTW, to expound on the physics engine...I was jumping sideways shooting at a perp with an AK-47 lookalike, and he ran behind a ladder while I was shooting. One beam of the ladder splintered off, and a rung flew in the opposite direction.

14. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I just read that Star Wars Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike is now in stores? I haven't been out looking yet, but does anyone have it yet? If so, is it any good?

15. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    We saw 2 commercails for it last night, they were hillarious. Ackbar giving briefings on the levels

16. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    The question came up in another thread about Splinter Cell vs. Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty and I had to add my thoughts:

Splinter Cell was only about a kojillion times better than Sons of Liberty. Let's compare, shall we?

1) Tom Clancy, 'nuff said. But to expound on this point the story in Splinter Cell was truly believable, as if it had been ripped right out of the headlines of the future. Tom Clancy is well known for his powers of time travel in this regard. Sons of Liberty, while the plot twists are nice in that they keep you guessing it was impossible to suspend my disbelief there at the end, what with all the over-the-top melodrama. More on this later.

2) Yes, Solid Snake is a badass, that point is not in contention. But he only hurts his credibility by growing a mullet, and there has to be something wrong with a game that features special physics to accurately model the movement of said mullet. Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell is equally a badass and the earth would be destroyed if these two were to go head-to-head. For the badass factor I can count these games even. But what tips the scales in favor of Splinter Cell is a pansy named Raiden. He's a trainee with no actual experience. His girlfriend has been recruited to lead him around on missions. And he whines.

3) When I kill an enemy I don't want to hear about how he/she was mistreated as a child in a five minute-long monologue just before they die. Sons of Liberty has such monologues. Splinter Cell does not.

4) What was up with the naked level? Why? On second thought I don't want to know.

5) Splinter Cell features a beautiful, free-moving camera that can be positioned for a perfect view of the action and a very intuitive method of switching from third to first person views. Sons of Liberty has static camera angles that don't always show the best view of combat.

6) The little touches put into Splinter Cell were inspiring and gave me the impression that the developers really cared about what they were doing. The way Sam moves when he's sneaking, using one hand to keep his pistol from making noise in its holster for example.

7) Dave Hayter is good. Jeremy Irons is better.

8) Konami screwed PS2 owners by releasing Sons of Liberty and then turning around and releasing MGS: Substance a few months later for all of its competitors. If PS2 owners want to play the new missions they have to pay full price for a game they already own.

Now, you might get the impression that I dislike Sons of Liberty. The is that is about as far from the truth as you can get without entering orbit. I enjoyed playing Sons of Liberty and I love Metal Gear Solid for the PSOne. But given the choice between it and Splinter Cell, well let's just say I own Splinter Cell. I rented Sons of Liberty.

17. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    reminder to any followers of the final fantasy series...

new info on final fnatasy 12 will be coming out on the 19th, at www.FF12.com...

woohoo, info! :p

all that is up on the site now is a flash intro with that same poster...

18. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    ..hate mmorpgs...
    that being said...
    I am playing FFXI-
    VERY pretty... but more to come later as far as how good and how FF* it truly is.

*Note: FF is pronounced Fuh-Fuh. E.G. FF4 is said as Fuh-Fuh Four.

19. Master_Ronin

May 16, 2002
    so you're playing Fuh Fuh Ex Eye?

20. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    it's...it's...it's...in japanese! :eek:

but the info on FF12 is here...

can't read it, but it does have some impressive screenshots... :D

21. JeddleMaster

JeddleMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2002
    Okay, I'm gonna go for obscurity. One fav game is Mutant League Football!!!!!

22. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    I still cannot wait to get Secret Weapons over Normandy for PS2. I would also like to get some new flight sims for my PC - any ideas on what I should get?

23. sideshow212

Feb 3, 2002
    don't know much about flight sims, unless its got x-wings in it... ;)

so i started playing FF X-2...
    and it's suprisingly good. don't let the girly feel of it steer you away. its got a good battle and class system buried under that japanese pop exterior... :)

24. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    final fantasy x-2 looks awesome, in spite of the girliness factor. seeing Yuna (is that right?) in some of the screenshots doing the two-gun action makes a man want to get a really big boat and tow Japan into California.

25. ToastyMcGrath

ToastyMcGrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2003
    Bah, final fantasy... you guys need a healthy dose of Call of Duty. Nothing like the grit of WWII to get the blood flowing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.