main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    This thread's more for the gaming of the more geekish type -- RPGs and tabletop. I know we've got a couple gamers in this group, so maybe we can use this thread for almost constructive (or p'raps just another distraction from life) purposes. LOL.

2. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Anyhoo, Thursday night is league night for Warhammer Fantasy. There's really only a couple more weeks left in the league -- it's more of warm-up time before the hugebungus 21-person long-term campaign that's starting.

The map's really cool. The guys running the campaign made it for a Warmaster campaign we had a couple years ago. It's pretty much a map of Europe/Eastern Asia/Northern Africa, and I'd say it's about 6-feet wide by 4-feet tall.

3. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I just got back from the game shop, actually. Played my first warm-up game with an army I've never played before, in a game I played once...about 10 years ago...under the old system's rules (which are way different than the current system).

Needless to say, I had my arse handed to me in 3 turns.

Maybe it was only 2.

4. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    But whilst getting my arse handed to me, I discovered a few areas where I can really pull off some uber-cheese in the game, and figured out where I can make alterations to my army list so everything that went wrong tonight won't go wrong next time.

That, and there's nothing like being squashed in a game to give you a crash course on the rules. LOL.

5. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    So now, I sit here with a few additional minis...cleaning them up and putting them together...and plotting and scheming (now that I understand the rules) on how I can best serve m'lord T z e e n t c h on the battlefield...

But it's time for bed now.

6. deathlikescats

deathlikescats Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    Mmmm.... Gaming... If tabletop miniature gaming wasn't so... slow and expensive, I'd probably be into it more. I just LOVE to paint the mini's though...

7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    I have soem of the SW minis. cool little things. i want more but they just cost too much.

8. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I think I'd like to watch a game...I love watching people play chess. You learn a lot that way, or at least I do.

9. Dark_Side_Otaku

Dark_Side_Otaku Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2004
    Games need a controller!

GAMES NEED A CONTROLLER!

<curls up in fetal position and rocks back and forth>

EDIT: BTW, I've decided to hate Prince of Persia. Just so you all know.

10. Zil-Qui-Jin

Zil-Qui-Jin Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2004
    Ah! it is good to see a fellow man of CHAOS. You name the game i play it. When is this Camp. going to start and do the minis need paint.

11. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I love SW RPG. I've only played the D20 system, but heard great things about the original version.

I've played several others, but there are a few I would love to try. Call of Cthulu for example :)

12. Zil-Qui-Jin

Nov 18, 2004
    Miss, what ever your heart would like to play i am sure we can get what you what or need. From RPG to table top just ask and its yours!

13. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    DLC...Our games are anything but slow and boring. :D But I feel the pain of the expense. I just added a few squads of demons to my army and...ouch. [face_beatup]

ZQJ...The actual campaign moves are starting this Thursday. The map's up, and we have a handful of "maybe/maybe not" players, and a few neutral regions, so there should be room for at least 1 more player. There's also currently enough tables and terrain for 5-6 simultaneous games, and I think they're going to add a couple extra once the campaign really gets going. What type of Chaos do you play? Right now we have Khorne, Nurgle, and Tzeentch represented, but we always have room for more.

And yes, the minis need to be painted, or we'll make fun of you. [face_devil] We're snotty like that. LOL. ;) :D

M...It's nothing like chess. It's more like...wrestling...with a golf-like addition of dice. LOL.

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I played a chaos character before... but she worshiped a Goddess from a different galaxy (we had a habit of keeping old characters and switching them from campaign to campaign. This God started out as a Sith in the SW galaxy and got time warped, we had a cruel DM, but she became a chaotic evil demigod. Very cool).

15. Zil-Qui-Jin

Nov 18, 2004
    Zoom, i play all of them plus i have several different armies. i am a big fan of warhammer and 40k. i go by the AU every now and then but, i have not heard of any serious players. My buddy Jason McCulif does the RT down here and he says its starting to pick up. As for the paint i guess i will be out for a while, just have no time to do so. I tried to get intouch with a jason there to do some painting for me for cash but he dosen't have the time either. Thats to bad i like his painting. Oh well maybe next time, by the way i do have my own table and i make terrain for fun, if you would like to play some time just drop me a line and we will hook it up.

laters

16. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    ZQJ...Would you be interested in maybe a painting party of sorts? We used to do that when we had a gimongous Warmaster campaign going and we all had thousands of points worth of stuff on the field. Once, we had to smush 4 of those big tables together and have the smaller guys crawl around the middle to move our stuff. It was crazy. LOL.

It's not REQUIRED that stuff is painted, but they want to see weekly progress, ya know? Not everyone's stuff is painted so far, and I have 2 extra boxes of Warriors coming in this week that probably won't even be completely put together for Thursday. :)

I *think* I know Jason. Does he have a 40K Tyranid army? I think I just gave him a hojillion spinefists so he could mod his stuff.

17. Zil-Qui-Jin

Nov 18, 2004
    Zoom, sounds like fun. I have only tried the new rules once i would need a couple more training games. I will stop buy on Thursday and check it out. Never played Warmaster is it fun! I know some people down here that where playing it. My favorite game is Necro do you play that? i have about 15000pts in Chaos that needs paint, a piece a week i think i can do this. Jason i know playes Orks and Goes to school. I bought some of his Chaos Marines at the Au and i wanted him to paint more of them. If you know him the deal is Firm and i pay well.

18. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    ZQJ...That's cool. And Warmaster's awesome. It's almost on the scale of Epic 40K, but a wee bit bigger. They almost cut out all of the cheeze from Warhammer Fantasy -- no characters, no insane armor saves, and all the units and spells are pretty balanced. It all comes down to how well you can use your army.

But you just about go blind painting 4k points worth of Orcs. LOL.

19. Zil-Qui-Jin

Nov 18, 2004
    Well Zoom, i can say its not hard to twist the arm of a fellow gammer. I went and bought the main book for warmaster. So what army do you suggest for a new player? I was thinking High elfs, or Dwarf. I did hear that the Dwarf army is a little broken though. what do you think?

20. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    The Elfs are good. They're right on the Dwarfs -- they don't seem to be as powerful as they should be. Most armies have a unit that's really powerful, and some cheap units you can screen them with. The Dwarfs are pretty standard all the way across, and the really GOOD units -- the Trollslayers -- you don't get points for them unless you can actually have them killed in battle, if I remember right. LOL.

That, and the Dwarfs don't have any cavalry units. [face_plain]

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Tonight's Warhammer Fantasy night at the Alternate Universe!

If I can get off me bum, I'll be there.

22. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Sooo...may as well resurrect this poor thread.

Current happenings as I know them...

Every 3rd Friday at the Alternate Universe (AU) in P-town is POD RACING!!!! Sweet game if you've never played it. They guy that invented it has run games from Pueblo to even the cons in Denver, and even tried to get it licensed, but LFL said "no." Regardless, it's fun, and the last time I played, of the 14 people playing only 2 made it across the finish line ALIVE. LOL.

Every 2nd Friday at the AU is BattleTech!!! OLD SKOOL! None of the clickie-base crap! No explanations needed there.

Also, my buddy Alvin has invented this sweet super pulpy 1920s-era miniatures game that people started play-testing this week (I checked it out last night and it was pretty cool). It's sort of a Cthulhu/Sky Captain/Mobster game.

23. DarthDallas182

DarthDallas182 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    QUOTE: Games need a controller!

GAMES NEED A CONTROLLER!

<curls up in fetal position and rocks back and forth>

EDIT: BTW, I've decided to hate Prince of Persia. Just so you all know. END QUOTE.

I concur.

PS- Any of you fellow controller gamers out there have an Xbox?

PSS- Any of you fello Xbox controller gamers out there have Xbox live?

PSSS- How many S's are you allowed to add after the P?

PSSSS- I think i made a new world record.

24. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Actually, it's the P's you have to add, not the S's. [face_monkey]

We have an XBox...no XBox Live...but we spend a lot of time playing online games on PC. :D

25. DarthDallas182

DarthDallas182 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    oh :) i feel retarded. :)