main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Dec 3, 2004.

1. sped_ed

sped_ed Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    Im am curious if there is anyone still playing Warhammer Fantasy at AU. I've recently got into warhammer, somthing i tried to do a few years back but couldn't because of lack of funds. I stumbled across the Warhammer wite about a month ago and it re sparked my intrests. I have no clue wether there are a good number of active players in p-town. I would probaly know this if i where still a regular to AU, but that hasn't been since i stopped playing MTG. I have no friends that play 40k but not Fantasy, Im not really into all the futuristic stuff. Im am just curious, to lazy to go to AU in person to find out, so did a search and came to this forum, ne way just wondering ne responses would be great...........

2. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    The AU's got a pretty good following of WH Fantasy players -- it just depends on the time of year you catch it at. Our last campaign went from February to April and died a horrible death because we had 2 dozen people playing, and all of our troops pretty much laid waste to all of Europe.

And then everyone got sick and then got burnt out. LOL.

Still, before the campaign ended, I was able to amass a decent sized Chaos army. I've got 2500 points...with no single troops bigger than a Hero. Anything bigger than a Hero just plain ruins the game.

Right now the somewhat regular miniature game they've got going is a home brew kinda 1920s-ish pulpy thing with gangsters and cultists. So far it sounds really cool, but I haven't been able to sneak out of the house early enough to really catch the game.

3. sped_ed

sped_ed Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    TY for your response. ATM im just looking for steady players that just like to sit down and play the occasional game, for i have yet to play an actual Warhammer game. Havent even decided what army im going to start working on yet, prolly skaven or orge. NE way im going to drop by AU somtime this week, get some new minis, and talk to Ken. My main concern really is finding some ppl that wouldn't mind helping me get the game down, play a few simple games so i can implant the rules better. So if you or ne one you know wouldn't mind helping a "noob" that would be great, just want to get a hold of the game before i go head long building an army. But ne way ty again, im making a trip to AU somtime this week...... I hope :p

4. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I'd say that just nearly all of the "regulars" are pretty steady players. A lot of us are still learning the rules, though -- GW changed pretty much the entire combat system of the game last year, and learning all the new nitpicky stuff takes time. I started playing back in high school, but didn't touch the game for about 4 years and *everything* changed. LOL.

5. Kaety

Kaety Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    D_N_T pulled out his classic Traveler game stuff and I have been reading through it. I think it looks fun - not too complicated and easy to learn. I'm thinking we should host a classic game night at our house to play it some time...

Anybody ever played it? Want to play it?

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Hmm...never played it. Wouldn't hurt to try, though.

They just came out with a Cthulhu board game, too -- so far everyone I've talked to have said that it's actually a really good game.

7. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    I am going to have to learn more about this mysterious Cthulhu. I had never heard of him before. D_N_T was explaining some of it to me the other night and it sounds interesting...

Esp. after seeing the plush version of Cthulhu and the thing that looks like a starfish with eyeballs all over it...:p

8. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    You can borrow some of my H.P. Lovecraft books. His writing's real pulpy, and some stories can be downright painful to get through (even with all of his works being just short stories). Back in the 20s he was one of the bigger writers of horror, but now they're just kinda fun to read, especially with everything that's supposed to be scary being described only as:

"an unspeakable thing."
    "a being who should not be named."
    "a horror that I shall not describe."
    "an unspeakable horror who should not be named."
    "a terrifying image of untold horror."

And yet, he'll spend 5 pages just describing what chair looks like. LOL.

Isabel's always had Cthulhu, and aside from her bunnies -- Cthulhu, Dagon, and her Shoggoth plushies are her favorite stuffed toys.

9. Darth_Nast_T

Darth_Nast_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Hey!

Lovecraft is not painful.

You just have to be in the right state of mind when you read him...

Kinda like Tolkein, Twain, Shakespeare; you just haf'ta flow with the style...

Or perhaps my mind was warped from reading Lovecraft as a child.

(I've been feeling fishy of late...)

10. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I agree about the right state of mind.

First time I ever read "At the Mountains of Madness" was when I was slacking at work many years ago...and it took forever to read.

I wish I had been exposed to Lovecraft when I was a kid -- my childhood no doubt would have been darker, and I would be creepier. As it is, some days it takes all my energy just to be a little creepy.

Some days I wake up, get some work done, mow the lawn, eat dinner, water the lawn...and then watch TV before bed, and I'll go for days on end without having a single creepy moment in my life.

11. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    actually...being that normal IS creepy for you.

:p

12. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    D_N_T read Lovecraft as a child...that explains alot!

13. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Hm.

I've read the Cthulhu Mythos-based "Goomi's Book of Doom" to Isabel already. She stole the graphic novel from me right after we got back from MileHiCon last year. She loves it, and looks at it whenever she can...and usually makes jokes about "Haha -- Cthulhu's eating all those people in robes. And he stepped on that one. Haha."

I wonder if that's going to affect her later on in life. LOL.

14. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    We wonder about that sort of thing too...

We play lots of x-box that is pretty brutal and our girls are starting to say things like, "look at all that blood! Kill them all! The mummy is really a nice guy." and stuff like that. Then they pretend to put "blood syrup" on their "meat pancakes" when they are being carnivores.

15. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Isabel was 'helping' me play galaxies the other night. We were in a hunting group, and she said "Aaw, look at that baby. Kill it, Momma!"

I think I laughed until I cried. It was great the way she said it.

:p

16. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    At least it seems like they all understand the difference between what's real and what's not. I've seen a lot of 13-18 year olds that think they can play "Grand Theft Auto" and then go outside and try stuff they've seen in the game.

17. Darth_Nast_T

Darth_Nast_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    OK, explain something to me...

How come folks seem to be OK with slaughter and mayhem by the bucket-loads in video games, but nudity in video games causes apoplectic fits and congressional hearings.

I dunno... just seems a bit hypocratic to me.

18. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Because parents figure that fake violence doesn't mean anything, but pr0n -- even when just computer generated -- is bad. It doesn't fare well when Wal-mart is one of the main backers of the movement, considering they own half the planet.

I was a little disgruntled at the hearings with Hilary Clinton and that whole uprising 2 weeks ago. I bought Doom 3 a couple days later and was actually carded. Soon, getting games is going to require a background check and 3 forms of ID. LOL.

On thing to note -- maybe with the lack of 13 year olds playing Doom 3, perhaps I'll fare better on the multi-player part. :D

19. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
  20. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    WOW.

Now I wanna know what he was playing.

Some games can really get the adrenaline going, and you feel completely exhausted after a few hours of play. If he kept himself going with large amounts of espresso, and wasn't in the best of shape, yeah...I can see that happening.

Makes me wonder why it doesn't happen more often...especially at huge LANparties. Although, the post-21 age group usually passes out for other reasons halfway through the night...so maybe it's a checks and balances kinda thing.

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
  22. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    A repost from my post on the RMFF board on the same subject...

Couple things here...

I've been playing StarCraft for almost 11 years. It's an awesome game. And Korea produces some of the most uberleetsaucebadass gamer stock on the planet. Back in the day, my Battle.net record was near-legendary, but I fear going against anyone from A[z]n (Asian) guilds.

Makes me wonder if he had any underlying health problems -- standard length of a LANparty is 48 hours...with some going for 96. Only way to survive is with large amounts of caffeine (not pop, or even coffee -- but the big time stuff like AMP and Bawls), and they're very physically taxing. You actually have to be in shape to last that long, since your brain still has to use the wet bag of meat you call a body to sit up and use the keyboard.

QuakeCon is this weekend -- 96 hours of carnage, but everyone I know is saving the few precious days of vacation they have left for XMas break. No doubt everyone there will play a round of StarCraft in his honor.

The man was a priest. No -- a martyr.

Sure, there's Quake, Doom, UT, CS, R6...but those are just games. StarCraft is something deeper, and until you've played over 1,000 battles, it's impossible to understand just how deep. When a game can be played for longer than 6 months without losing its user base, that says something. When game companies try for 10 years to come up with something better, and they FAIL, that says something.

Every gamer I know has at least 1 copy of it. Registered, not pirated. You can't be a gamer without having a copy of StarCraft -- it's as important as the Bible, the Koran, and the Dalai Lama.

And while he kept missing work because of it, I can totally understand. I took a 3 month hiatus between college and getting a "real" life to devote myself to StarCraft. It was like a religious experience. I will no doubt add this man to my prayers to whatever entities I ask for nice things.

May the Zerg, Protoss, and Terran forces remember his username for years to come.

FOR ADUN!!!

23. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    Everyone needs to play our new game...actually I think it was made in the early 80's (got it at a yard sale)...

Slap Happy - yes you have to put on a giant foam hand and roll a big foam dice and be the first person to slap the color on the almost Twister like plastic mat. Note- this game is most fun when playing with children or with people who think too much of themselves.

http://www.ezprints.com/home/albums/zoom.asp?t1=&t2=zoom&photoid=501748
    I tired really hard to get a link to the picture here but I seem to be having a very difficult time of it. Somebody please pm me and let me know how to do it. FYI- I tried the link and image buttons and they didn't work for me. EDIT #4-I typed all that and posted- AND NOW IT WORKS!!![face_frustrated] Edit #5- It works to get to the website but it won't let anyone but me see the picture!!! :mad:

[if you look carefully you can see that the girls had the Star Wars Micro-Machines sets out on the table]

24. RubberDuckTape

Oct 27, 2003
    Is there an option to share the photos, or make the album public?

That's what I had to do on yahoo. Or you could try imagedump.

25. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    Ok, let's try this again...

Slap Happy!

Just don't laugh too hard at my silly little website.