main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Austin,TX The Gateway Line - UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Grendelbob, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grendelbob

Grendelbob Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2000
    Ok, there is a lot to re-cap since the last time I was able to post here...

just letting everyone know that we still have the line at Gateway theater. Even though tickets have already gone on sale, we are now in line for seats. We could still use some bodies to help cover some of the time frames. The weekdays always seem to be the hardest to find coverage, which I can understand due to work and school. Again, this is for the Wednsday nite 12:01am showing at Gateway.

As it stands for the moment, there has been little to no presence from Austin Fan Force in line. Those that have done time were mostly those that went to Indy this last weekend, with a few exceptions. With the exception of Brad, the Indy crew, and those able to help this last weekend, there are a lot of empty seats at the line that the other campers are watching over. we still have about a week to go and I fully expect to see other groups of people starting their camping sometime this weekend. My thanks to those who helped this last weekend, but remember it's not over yet. Call the line at 343-0139 and check with whoever is there. If you sign up for a shift and cannot make it, please let us know in advance. We have already had solo campers covering overnites due to miscommunication. For safety reasons, it is best that we have at least 2 people there at all times.

Also, the sponsorship by Ticketcity.com has officially been ended by me. I gave Randy Cohen (CEO) full opportunity to make good on his word and he did not pull through. He had promised to pay for our tickets as well as cover the costs of food for those that were camping. as of now the only thing he has paid for is the 14 tickets he asked us to get for him. He did give us some money for food, but it was nothing close to what was actually spent by everyone over the weekend. since there is not enough to pay back everyone, I will use it to buy pizza for line campers on one of the nites in line. So, if the media shows up and speaks to you, mention nothing about Ticketcity.com unless they ask first. If asked, just say that the CEO did not come through on his promises and as a result we have stopped all promotions of his company as asked for in return for the food and ticket costs.

That's it for now. Like most everyone else, I am at work today and tomorrow, but I will be in line tomorrow nite thru the following Thursday. So, if you have any questions, feel free to call the line, but you can also post here today and tomorrow and I should be able to send a reply.

ONE LAST THING!!!!!
    K-VUE is planning to come out to the line tomorrow (Thursday) morning to do a brief story on the campers. They will be there between 5:30 AM to 7:30 AM. It would be great to have good number of people in line at that time. If you can do an overnite or early morning please let us now ASAP!

That's all for now...

~B~

2. Grendelbob

Dec 5, 2000
    here's a follow-up...

The Thursday news-cast has moved to Friday morning, same time as before. Also, K-EYE has also said that they will be stopping by some time in the next few days as well. There is a good chance that Channel 8 News may make an appearance as well.

We have received word from other groups that they will start their campout sometime this weekend. If you have not done any time in the line, but you have a ticket, I think it's fair to say that your spot in line will be behind whoever starts showing up. I don't want anyone to take this wrong, but if another group starts their camp-out, it would not be fair to have others just walk in front of the other groups.

only about 7 days left, and the party is starting warm up!

3. DarthBarf

DarthBarf Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2001
    I was there on Sunday, and I would like to help out more. I have work, kids, etc, so the weekdays are difficult. I am, however, taking Wed off and plan on staying the night Tues, so if the people in line now would like to go home Tues night to shower and sleep in their beds, I will be happy to hold the line then.

Jim

4. Grendelbob

Dec 5, 2000
    excellent! try to stop by the line so we can add you to schedule and make sure we have you on the list.

we are keeping the shcedule at the line with a phone list to keep in contact with everyone.

5. DarthBarf

Oct 21, 2001
    I called Trace at the line. My brother and I are on the list for Tuesday overnight.

Jim

6. DarkJediPrincess

DarkJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    I apparently missed a meeting or something...

Since I was never promised a ticket, I didn't really feel compelled to do time on the line. I did come out one evening before Indy, just to get into the spirit of the thing...for morale support and all.

It was pretty much the same thing I did for the Toys R Us Midnight Madness. The three items I bought were not really in the caliber of 'collector's items' and I am by no means a collector. I just did it for the experience.

Sorry if I drew some wrong conclusions, as usual (certainly for most of Celebration 2) I am clueless.

DJP
    aka Monette

7. BigChris

BigChris Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    If you come out and cover good time at the line, I'm sure you will get a ticket. You time IS worth something after all.

Big Chris

8. Grendelbob

Dec 5, 2000
    FYI!! - we will have more news coverage tonite at two times:

5:00pm and 9:00pm

I will wrapping up at work at 5, but Chris, Kimbote, and Ron will at least be down there. I should be there closer to 6 or so, after I run home and make a food run.

if you can make it down tonite, that would be awesome. I believe we still have a morning news cast with k-vue tomorrow morning around 6am as well.

it all starts rolling now!

9. Grendelbob

Dec 5, 2000
    just to let everyone know that Mangia pizza is feeding the campers on sunday nite! I know this is Mother's day, but I assumed this a better time than during the week. I will be using the money we received from Ticketcity to get pizza for everyone on Tuesday nite.

only 5 days left and tomorrow other camping groups will start showing up!

10. Ripster

Ripster Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2001
    I tried to stop by and say hello on wednesday but I got lost. I'm not to good with directions. I got much more detailed instructions and hopefully I'll stop by sometime next week.

Sara

11. Tandeer

Tandeer Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2001
    *JUAD*

Tickets went on sale here in Killeen yesterday at 10:30 and I was able to get 2 for the 7pm show on Thursday!!!! Thank the Maker that my Bro-in-law is a Doctor. *L* He sent his secretary down to get tickets while the rest of us were at work! *LMAO*

I am getting very excited now!!!!!!! See ya'll today at the Ep.1 screening!!!!

12. Grendelbob

Dec 5, 2000
    Tonite is grill night at the Gateway line. This is our final Friday before Ep II!

we will start grilling late because of the regular movie crowds. brin your grilling foods if you're up for it.

13. Grendelbob

Dec 5, 2000
    just an update, the line is definitley going to get longer within the next 24 hours. looks like other groups are planning on lining up after us. So, we are in our final hours!

14. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    so er... arriving on Wednesday Afternoon will definitely secure me last place then?

I tried to stop by but turns out everyone was at C II and I just had a short and embarassing conversation with the 99 Campers
    "Oh, the JC I think i've posted there once..."
    "Never heard of it."

15. Grendelbob

Dec 5, 2000
    well we are there now, but getting there on wednesday may definitely put you back some distance.

16. Ripster

Ripster Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2001
    Would y'all mind if I stopped by to say hello tomorrow afternoon? I wouldn't stay long or anything. Just enoguh to say, hello and maybe meet some of y'all.
    ~SR

17. RogueMonkey

RogueMonkey Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    You should definitely stop by. There will probably be a lot of people hanging out by tommorow afternoon. It should be a lot of fun!

18. Grendelbob

Dec 5, 2000
    My thanks to everyone who helped us hold the helm of the line at Gateway. Like most everyone else, I had a blast. We officially made every news station in Austin, with feeds running to Dallas, Houston, and possibly more cities we don't know of yet.

That said, Trace and I are passing torch to whoever wants the first position in line. I can't wait for 2005 to see the final chapter tying all of this together, but I'd happily camp further back in the line in the final round.

How can we wait 3 more years? Fortunately, thanks in part to the next 2 chapters of LOTR, Matrix, and other future flix, we will have plenty to keep us occupied. But until then we will always have the multiple viewings of Episode II!

~B~

19. Kimbote

Kimbote Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    Am I the only one who feels like they've returned to their normally scheduled life now? And is enjoying it? :)

EP3 Gateway Motto
    "So many MORE marshmallows!"

20. DarthBarf

Oct 21, 2001
    I'll definately be back for the 36 hour party before Episode III . . . just keep me away from the rum!

21. Darth_Homer02

Darth_Homer02 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2002
    I will definitely be there for the fun in 2005. I had a blast on this line. I wasn't able to camp out for Ep. I, but this more than made up for that. I look forward to seeing you all again at the meetings.

22. neumera

neumera Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2000
    Bryan, Trace,

Thanks for all your VERY hard work with the line. I had an absolute BLAST and will remember this last month for a long time to come yet.

Yes, more screenings of Episode II to occupy us - perhaps we will all go together for our June meeting.

for now, thought, I'm TIRED and there's still the Plano expo to go this weekend...

-Anne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.