main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The general themes of Lit topics have been the same since Traitor. Why?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Guy, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    While I've "only" (seeing all the newer users scares me) been posting here since '02, I've noticed that Literature forum topics have generally stayed the same since the NJO novel Traitor. I first saw it a long while ago, but only recently has it become tiresome. I'm not talking about newbie threads regarding what happens where, "I hate character/author"-- those are unavoidable, natural consequences of this forum. I'm talking about discussions regarding themes, plot, character development: stuff actually related to Literature.

Initially, I thought this was the fault of the posters (including myself), albeit unintentionally. New users would come along with the same old ideas and more experienced users would just go with it. But now, after I've finished Dark Nest, I see that it is mainly the fault of the publishers. Even though it was decent, Dark Nest was NJO Lite-- explores the same themes, deals with similar issues all over again. The post-RotJ era is always what has been giving fans something new besides the movies; the prequel-era EU is largely bound by the three movies, and post-RotJ has a lot more freedom. For better or worse, this freedom was exploited by the NJO series, but it seems as though the higher-ups thought, "Okay, far enough" and decided to take the safer route with DN. We need something earth-shattering-- I need something earth-shattering to renew my horribly-waning interest. We need another "There is no Dark Side." This one phrase has stimulated discussion for over three and a half years. The problem is that nothing has gone any further from that. If it was Matthew Stover's own initiative that brought about this change, bring in more like him. Please. Hopefully Legacy of the Force will be used as an outlet for more... er, radical ideas.

Am I alone in my feelings? I sure hope so, so I can claim to be lonely.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    A wizard did it.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What we need is an SSD length thread.

ACTUALLY, we need one of those 'ol Empire versus Rebs threads. Now that ROTS is finally out, we know the entire story. I remember back when all we had was TPM to go off of. :p

Heh, no one imagined the Senate would give Palpy the galaxy on a platter.

4. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    God forbid.. we still have a rather cantankerous debate over Saxton and canon still....

5. Rawtooth

Rawtooth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    Actually what we need is another 3 million clones debate. If you include a SSD length issue along with some sort of Force revelation at the same time, then it's a powder keg waiting to explode! [face_batting]

6. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    Powder keg! Pah! That's putting it mildly. It would be like the Death Star II's Main Reactor going boom!

7. Rawtooth

Rawtooth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    And, hey, couldn't we add in a Endor Holocaust mention too? Just to get everyone's blood boiling. ;)

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Okay, to get more responses:

Attempt 1: THE LENGTH OF THE SUPER DUPER RIDICULOUSLY AND UNNECESSARILY GIGANTIC MONEY PIT (NOT "STAR DREADNOUGHT") IS PRECISELY 345 CUBITS. PAIR UP THE ANIMALS-- THERE'S A FLOOD COMIN'. SAXTON IS ALSO THE ANTICHRIST.

Attempt !!1!1: omg guyz wut duz gffa mean?

Attempt :mad:: Mara Jade is a force vampire. Tim Zahn sucks.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think LOTF will do it. It looks like the Skywalkers and Solos will be fighting each other, which will definitely be different. And that's just what they're revealing from the previews. I'm sure we'll get a good suprise.

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Swarm War did compare 8km Killik Shard nestships to Superstars. ;)

11. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    It's really the mods. They have been the same for years now. No offense to the mods, it's just that they strike down the threads they don't like.

12. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Really? On what are you basing that? I've never seen a mod on this board close a thread on a subject they don't like - ever. Not the Mara-bashing ones, not the SSD debates, nothing. The only thing I've ever seen get closed were random threads that are not allowed - like the Oral-B toothpaste one a few days ago :p - redundant threads, or things that are not allowed for the sake of maintaining a little decency (like canon wars, etc.). PPOR, please. The mods deserve it. :)

- Keralys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.