main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Generals' War

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Coruscant, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    You can say a lot of bad things about a lot of good men.

George Washington owned slaves, did not free them on his death, and was a traitor to the British. Lincoln, for all that he won the American Civil War, nevertheless was the man on duty when America split in half. Better diplomacy on his part could have spared America what's probably its most destructive conflict. Reagan's policies led to the erosion of the American middle class and an explosion of national debt. Nixon was an effective leader, but slimy and amoral. JFK talked good talk, but wasn't able to achieve his goals effectively in his lifetime. George Bush Sr. broke major campaign promises. Clinton showed a distinct lack of moral decency at times in his terms of office.

Theodore Roosevelt was not a perfectly good man. Neither was Pope John Paul II, neither was Winston Churchill, neither was George Washington, neither was Princess Diana, etc. No one ever is, and we all tend t be products of our time. But he was a man who cared deeply for his country, who fought corruption and injustice as he saw it, who was relentlessly intellectually curious, and who was personally and politically brave. He didn't have the intellectual heft of Jefferson, he didn't have the oppertunity to save the world that FDR did and he didn't have to make the impossible decisions that Truman and Lincoln did. He was in power in a time of relative peace, and he left office having made the world a safer place, and he left office leaving the wellfare of the average American better than it had ever been before. All things considered, I don't think that he's underrated. He's one of the greats, and he could TOTALLY take any of the other greats in a fight.

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I don't know if enough people really know about all the different English monarchs there have been to make that a viable game. We could try, I guess, but I just don't think it would get much steam.

One preliminary idea I had is that we could do civilizations/extinct nations/city-states/etc... obviously America would have to be left out of this one (kind of like the way Obama was left out of this game), but it could consist of all the great ancient civilizations like Rome, Egypt, Persia, Chinese dynasties, etc... in addition to some of the nations that are still around but have already declined (Britain comes to mind). I just thought of it, so I haven't really gotten to thinking about the downsides yet.

What are everyone else's ideas?

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Rulers?

+2 Djenghis Khan, -2 Adolf Hitler

5. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Generals? Washington, Patton, Montgomery, Zhukov, Lee, Rommel, Napoleon, Wellington, Genghis Khan, Julius Caesar, Alexander, Richard I, Hannibal, Pyrrhus, Scipio, Belisarius, Marlborough, Saladin, Mao, etc.

6. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    I grew bored with this game long ago, but I gotta say, I'm loving it that two Canadians (Zaz & Raven) are arguing over who was the best American president of all time. :cool:

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It was GW and AL who saved ze Republic as it was going down for the count. All other revolutions of this type ended in military dictatorship; not the States, and it was GW who saved it, by his own stature. AL is not to blame for the Civil War...the groundwork was laid many moons before. He was told to postpone the 1864 election, which he was expected to lose. He refused. A mensch. And Washington and Lincoln could both take that asthmatic little prig Roosevelt in a fight, so there.

I vote Generals...Napoleon, Wellington, Davout, Eisenhower, Cromwell, Maurice de Saxe, Marlborough, Frederick the Great, Montrose, Edward 1st, William the Conquerer, Hannibal, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, U. S. Grant, Sherman, Patton, Saladin, Joan of Arc, Attila the Hun, George Washington, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Guderian, Von Manstein, Belisaurius, Rommel, Zhukov, Scipio Africanus, Gustavus Adolphus, Wallenstein, Eugene of Savoy, Suleyman the Magnificent, Jan Sobieski.

I'm sure I missed a lot.

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    And yet, as I said, Washington owned slaves, and he betrayed the British Empire. What he did was treason, pure and simple. The British were responding to American demands leading into the Revolutionary War, and rather than to seek a peaceful transition to either being a full fledged self governed state (like most developed British colonies did in the 1800s) or an equal part of the British Empire, Washington choose to back those who supported violent revolution. Lincoln expanded the powers of the Presidency beyond what Americas founding fathers intended for it to have, he imprisoned nearly 20,000 people on suspicion of being Confederate sympathizer, and he suspended habeas corpus.

Of course, if you take the viewpoint that for the victor all is forgiven...

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It certainly helps.

10. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm sorry, but that statement is false.

Lincoln became President on March 4, 1861. By that time, seven states has seceded from the Union, starting with South Carolina on December 28, 1860. They established the Confederacy on February 4, 1860, a month before Lincoln entered office.

James Buchanan was the "man on duty when America split in half", not Lincoln. Lincoln entered office to an already divided nation.

Kimball Kinnison

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Typical Canuck! Knows nada about American history! [face_whistling]

12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I can't believe I didn't get to finish a single darn president.

13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, neither did I. :p

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, but I worked so hard on Kennedy

15. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    You can finish off a president without being the final eliminator. Being the person to take the last two points is mostly just luck anyway. I don't know why people are making a fuss over it.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    The latter point is very true

17. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Same here. I think a couple of people are just reading way too much into the elimination thing - it was only intended for a bit of fun. [:D]

18. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    FWIW, I'm thirding the motion that we start a new game on generals/commanders. :-B

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I finished of W, so I feel great :D

20. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Another measurement to consider noting is who took the most points away or gave the most points to an eliminated subject. For me, this is more significant than who took the final 2 points away. For example, Lowie wasn;t the final eliminator of JFK, but he took the bulk of the points away. That single minded, determined, spiteful and persistant animosity should be recognised.:p

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I think there should be some recognition for those who tried to save presidents, like I with Lincoln and especially SuperWatto for Carter:p

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Truer words were never spoken.

So, can we explain votes now?

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I tried, too, but all most of the nimrods (you will forgive my plain speaking, gentlemen) wanted to do were eliminations.

24. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I find it amusing that everyone seems to be wanting to quantify points and the like as some sort of scoring contest. :p To me that's just mucking with the simple but workable formula. But if we're all wanting recognition I'll state my own case - I deserve points for nearly single-handedly sinking Lincoln considering at one point I had 3-4 posters working against me. ;) :-B :D

As for voting intentions, I've already stated mine (Teddy to win, sink everyone else). Please do share your own though. :)

25. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I had no real voting intentions. I'd never heard of most of those Presidents and they meant nothing to me. I liked Carter for his human rights work and his work on behalf of the Palestinian people. I liked George HW Bush because he was never beholden to the Israeli lobby and I didn't really care either way about the rest. I think JFK was a real shmuck who has become a romanticized figure because of the nature of his death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.