main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Gentlemen Bastards Sequence: Thorn of Emberlain release date?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The teaser for ROT in the back of RSURS says Sabetha is back.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I thought RoT was supposed to be coming out this month, so I checked Amazon . . . and it's been pushed to Jan. 10 or something.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah that is irriatating isn't it? Jan is a long way from now. I remember when RoT was supposed to release in April this year!!!!!

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hell, I remember when it was supposed to be released in Jan (ish) of this year! And before that, I'd thought (though I can't remember if this was grounded in anything factual or my own wishes) last summer!

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I think that when I started, January of this year was the expected release date.

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I think it's been coming out in six months to a year for about two years.:p

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Do we have any more info on the Republic of Thieves release date? I read June 6th somewhere, and the ever-reliable Amazon says it's hitting paperback in October.

8. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Latest buzz seems to be a January 2011 release date, said to be fairly reliable -- which, of course, is always what they say. So I wouldn't look for it before then, but I wouldn't pin all my hopes on it coming out then either.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( It's been years since RSURS - this is turning into anoth GRRM :(

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    It would only be three and a half years in-between if it came out January. Compared to five years between Martin's last two novels and five years going on six since the last one, I don't think we're quite in the realm of Martin territory yet. Lynch, at least, has done two in two years; Martin at his best took two years between novels. Hopefully this is a one-off delay problem.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, I'm hoping it's a one-time thing and not something that's going to happen every time he puts otu a book - the series is supposed to have 7.

12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I looked this up yesterday as a matter of fact. Oct 21 2010

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Amazon is presently giving March for the UK version but then we tend to get these sorts of books months ahead of the US for some strange, arcane reason.

Doesn't mean it's anywhere confirmed though.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I just read Lies, and while it was decent, I wasn't really that impressed. Then again, maybe its the type of story - I've seen Ocean's Eleven, and didn't really care for it either, and that seems to be a frequent comparison. I'll still read RSURS when I get the chance, but I'm not holding out too much hope for becoming a big fan.

15. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    I think a large part of the reason that the wait seems to wear on Martin readers is because he's so active going to cons, promoting tie-ins, and editing other people's books. It's easy to point to the fact that he keeps a high profile and conclude that he isn't working seriously on the next book, which may or may not be true but still.

I remember when Wheel of Time was the byword for the fantasy series that never ends. It's sad now to see you coining a term like "Martin territory" and everybody taking your meaning right away. Unfortunately I don't think it's a "one-off delay problem" but I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

Scott Lynch is so much fun! Whenever we get Republic of Thieves I'm sure it will a great read. I just hope it's soon.

16. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001

Republic of Thieves has been delivered and is being edited/revised etc according to the UK publishers Gollancz. March 2011 for UK release seems pretty much set in stone from what I've heard.

As for the delay in getting ROT out, it's completly understandable as he's been suffering with severe depression the last few years which he talks about on his Livejournal account:

http://scott-lynch.livejournal.com/242814.html

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Now that does sound like a nasty state of affairs. The thing is it's easy to say: "But's he's had success etc".....

Yeah, well, that's no defence against the likes of depression, hell - depending how it hits him it could even increase it!

18. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    It's terrible about his depression, it takes guts to stand up and say I have a problem and he did it. At least it seems to be working as he's started writing on his Livejournal Account again the last 6 weeks, so it's good to see he's one the long, slow road to recovery.

Oh I almost forgot, seeming this thread has been inactive for a while, new artwork for the UK Cover was released a while back and it's really beautiful even though it's not in the same theme as the last UK covers:

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2010/05/uk-cover-art-for-scott-lynchs-republic.html

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    This thread is reminding me I need to read RSURS... though every time I look for it in stores here, they don't have it in stock.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Damn that cover is nice.

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Wonderful to hear that the book is on track, but terrible to hear that he's having problems like that, and that's obviously much more important than the book. Good for him for facing it, and I hope he can get everything sorted out. It sounds like he's made a good start.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That looks great!!

Yeah, I'd heard he was struggling with depression. Kudos to him for acknowledging it.

Can't wait for the book!! :D

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I found the Scott Lynch thread :D JS - do we have a date?

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    A new tentative date, you mean? I like how the first post of this thread includes the projected May 15 2008 release date for it. Yeah...

:p

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Excellent! Well once again I was looking on Amazon(I know release dates from there are ifee) and they said Feb 17. Heres hopeing!