main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Gentlemen Bastards Sequence: Thorn of Emberlain release date?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I thought this was a great way for Lynch to write himself out of the corner he'd written himself into - and it's definitely a far happier book than the last two, which is a good change of pace. The Karthain story is almost a comedy, and I really like that, but it's nowhere near as tightly-plotted as the previous two books. I liked the schemes and plans that get revealed through revisiting scenarios from a different perspective, used to great effect in Lies, but it's not really present here.

I...liked this book. At the same time, however, I was quite ready to be done with the Bondsmagi, and especially the Falconer, so I'm a bit disappointed that hasn't been ditched or one-upped. It would've been far more enjoyable for the Bondsmagi to come in, say the Falconer was nuts, and introduce some new antagonists.

I really just wanted there to be a truly happy ending here, and the reveal of Locke's "identity" - I hope it doesn't stick. It'd be nice if nothing comes from it and it's more Bondsmagi nonsense.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree completely with all of the above :p

I'm actually a little disappointed with the Bondsmagi. They aren't as bloody terrifying as I'd previously thought, and their motives aren't nearly as self-serving. Using the election as a release because they don't do big magic things out of fear is a little lame.

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It'd be really cool if they'd stuck with the idea that they're so above everything else they can't be touched. It'd set up the Falconer as an oddity/black sheep in the group, and then there'd be a legitimate excuse to get rid of the character. There have always been higher powers and authorities in the books, so it's kind of a shame that one of the highest sort of doesn't live up to that reputation :p The Archon and the Spider and Capa Barsavi, etc etc etc, you got the sense that there was always this complicated set of circumstances around them; it's through sheer gall and luck Locke and Jean pull off what they do, and a lot of quick thinking and cleverness. With the Bondsmagi...I dunno, they sort of aren't fun when we see so much of them.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Word on the street is that we might see The Thorn of Emberain a lot sooner than perhaps expected! As per http://fantasticalimaginations.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/upcoming-fantasy-novels-in-2014-part-4/]Fantastical[/url] Imaginations, Lynch plans to release the book in fall 2014.

Another http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2013/12/scott-lynch-on-thorn-of-emberlain.html]blog[/url] says, "I can confirm that Scott's publishers are themselves confident that this date can be met: Scott began work on The Thorn of Emberlain some time before the final edits on Republic were done, and the novel is already in an advanced stage of writing. Whether they will hit this target remains to be seen, but all parties involved seem to be confident."

I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but wouldn't that be awesome if it were true?[/quote]

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, I like the premise. Who knows about the release dates, but it's good that they've got hope about it.

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    this. is. my DAWG

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    If Lynch and his publishers are that optimistic, I have hope :D

Who wants to bet whether Sabetha will appear in Thorn? I say no way (except perhaps in flashbacks).

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Brilliant.... if it pans out. Wonder if they'll be some news about the revised edition of The Bastards and the Knives?

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Is that the short story he was working on?

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but it's a bit more complicated - there was to be a collection of 2 novellas, which would have formed part of the backstory for the first book - like the scam to obtain the brandy, but then Lynch decided to review and rework them so they'd work better with the overall tale.

I'm really hoping they come out at some point.

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i thought he was gonna do three novellas total?

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That too, but this particular collection was going to be just the first two.

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    so good reads is now listing the expected release date for the novella collection as "2016". thorn is still november 2014 tho, so that's good :)

sidenote cuz i dont see a kingkiller thread and i think there's a lot of overlap in readership: rothfuss' novella about auri is currently listed as october 2014, so at least we're getting SOMETHING out of that lazy **** other than ****** kickstarter projects. rothfuss also has a story about bast in george rr martin's (oh hey, another chronic procrastinator!) upcoming "rogues" anthology. maybe we'll finally learn something concrete about bast?

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Stumbled on this yesterday:

Due September 2015....

[​IMG]

[face_party]

Penguinator likes this.
  15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    If we can ditch a bunch of the subplots from the last novel, this'll be good.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Arrrrrse!

Bumped to July 2016! :_|

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Are we really surprised at this point?

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not particularly, it's just bloody irritating as apparently that date was stable.

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Lynch's deadlines are like George R.R. Martin's, they don't really exist and there's no sense paying any mind to them. Does make me think there's a lot to be said about the value of a deadline or limits on art, though.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee!

How the hell can publishers do this crap? The day before Thorn of Emberlain is supposed to come out according to Amazon and suddenly it's "we don't know when this item will be in stock"

Then just to add insult to injury, a 10th anniversary edition of The Lies of Locke Lamora has come out as of a week ago!

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i mean, it's not really the publisher, it's lynch. and the answer is "mental illness"

dp4m likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I got into the Gentleman Bastards sequence to help bridge the wait for the next ASOIAF book. I then got into the Kingkiller Chronicles after that.

[face_plain]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

haha you poor ****. if erikson starts pulling this **** at any point im gonna lose it

Point Given likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And Kingkiller Chronicles you'd have gone into having heard they'll only be 3 and one's already done, so how long can it be?

I'm not pissed at Lynch, I'm pissed at Amazon for slacking off on the comms front as I only notice they've changed the listing near enough the day before release, that's just crappy antics by any measure.

Erikson hit a major block on Fall of Light, but it was known of too and that goes a long way to winning people over.