main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gentlemen's Writing Guild

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SkalenFehl, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenArdnassak

QueenArdnassak Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 30, 2009
    If you say so...

It was a dark and stormy night when the short, green man walked toward the dark, crumbling castle. He had to have been pretty darn brave to have been walking toward that castle, because the castle was said to be haunted by... buh, buh, buh... PALPATINE'S GHOST! Rumor had it that long ago Palpatine had been thrown down a hole by his dark apprentice, Vader, and had haunted Lord Vader's old castle ever since.

I just realized that with some work, that might be a decent AU idea.

So that's what a writing guild is for, huh. Thanks.

I like your cute little signature thingy.:D

2. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2002
    I like your cute little signature thingy.:D
    [/quote]

[face_blush] Thank you. I picked it up many years ago - it is an ASCII X-Wing with the wings opened into attack position. Here it is with them in cruise position: :=0=: Since they don't have an X-Wing 'smiley' here, I guess that I have to supply my own. :)

PS: I like the beginning of your story - :D; you're right with some help, maybe it could be the germ for a story here on the boards. Palpy's ghost haunting Vadar's palace, and all who live there. Hmmmm. :)

Wedge :>0<:

3. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    ZEGO,

Why don't you issue one. As far as know, and I could be wrong, challenges can be issued by any member of the Guild; they do not have to be initiated by the Mods or Owner(s) of the Guild, i.e. the person(s) who began the Guild and brought it into being. I don't dare as my challenges are more apt to elicit R or higher ratings so I usually keep them confined to the Wedge Antilles Admiration Society (WAAS) group at Yahoo. [face_worried]

4. Affixed Scowler

Affixed Scowler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 15, 2005
    Well, if we're going for an official challenge, I believe we first need a few things before we begin. Those being the following:

A. A few female judges to volunteer to review the submitted work and grade it on storyline, grammar..etc.

B. Writers to volunteer to have their submitted work dissected.

Let's get those first, then I'll think up a challenge topic. I, obviously, am willing to volunteer.

5. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I'm always willing to submit something provided:

a) time permits (DRL)
    b) inspiration strikes

I've already failed miserably to write up something for the amazingly simple challenge in the Essential OC thread. :(

Way behing trying to get my Drabbles done too.

Oh, the pain; the pain...

6. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    I don't think that getting anyone to review all submitted work or for people to agree to have their work dissected for as I understand it, correct me if I am wrong, those are some of the basic ideas behind belonging to, and participating in, the Guild: therefore, the next step to issuing a challenge is usually setting up some guidelines for it. The guidelines that I am familiar with being stated for a challenge usually include, but are not always necessary and there can be more if the challenger so desires, the following:

1. A word count if the challenger wants to keep the submissions within/to a certain length
    2. A topic and/or timeframe for the challenge: The celebration of a character's Lifeday, the Battle of Hoth as seen through the eyes of C3PO, etc.; Saga, Expanded Universe, NJO, etc.
    3. Sometimes the challenger likes to have writings submitted that deal with a specific type of character or specif characters a the primary focus: Jedi, pilots, commandos, clones; Vader, OC(s), Luke and Mara, Han and Leia, Rogue Squadron, etc.
    4. A warnings/rating such as G, PG, PG-13 or R and whether there is gratuitious, explicite and/or implied violence, sexual situations/content - think of the Hollywood movie rating system as a guideline for rating
    5. Pairings if dealing with only a few characters
    6. Author's name
    7. Disclaimer
    8. A brief summary
    9. A title even if it is just a working one

and so forth.

Here is a sample of a Challenge submission format that I have seen and used but a challenger can use or create his own:

Bamfa and Me
    Author: Wedge
    Characters: Wedge, Wes
    Rating: G
    Summary: Wes lets Wedge know that he has keep his friend's secret for years
    Disclaimer: This is a work of fanfiction. Star Wars is the property of George Lucas and LFL. No profits were made and no disrespect is intended with this piece of fiction

I hope that this helps everyone.

EDIT: I have also participated in challenges where a specific idea or ideas, object, phrase or line must be included somewhere within the story.

7. QueenArdnassak

QueenArdnassak Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 30, 2009

[face_idea]What if you just did a challenge, and then voted for the winner. Whoever issued the challenge could have the votes PM'd to them, and announce the winner.

Just a suggestion.

8. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    Thanks for finding all the guidelines for me, Wedge. I appreciate it. However, stating the guidelines doesn't do us much good until we know who is involved first. There have been times when we tried to initiate an official challenge on its fullest scale and failed because we didn't have enough participants/judges. I'm sure BigE can testify to that.

9. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    I want to participate! Looks like fun!

(never leave out the virtual ice cream man :p )

10. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Bamfa and Me
    Author: Wedge
    Characters: Wedge, Wes
    Rating: G
    Summary: Wes lets Wedge know that he has keep his friend's secret for years
    Disclaimer: This is a work of fanfiction. Star Wars is the property of George Lucas and LFL. No profits were made and no disrespect is intended with this piece of fiction

This seems to me to not so much be a 'challenge guideline' as much as a generally utilized method for submitting any fan fic on the boards. Still, almost everything I write is a challenge response. :p

Interesting. I've never used a Rating before.

For my last Sloan fic I had the following:

Sloan Gets Swooped Off His Feet ? GWG Individual Challenge, OC

Title: Sloan Gets Swooped Off His Feet
    Author: BigE
    Timeframe: Saga, IT - approx. 3BBY
    Characters: Sloan Hurst, Shelby C?obrah, and a new nemesis named Harley
    Genre: Action, Humor
    Keywords: Speeder, Racing, Swoop, Nar Shaddaa
    Summary: Sloan enters his newly fixed speeder Padmé into a race on Nar Shaddaa, where an old friend of Shelby awaits. Shelby suspects that her old friend aims to cause her misery.

11. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    Oh yeah, I remember Sloan. Damn, it feels like forever since we've done a challenge. lol

Okay, so we have three volunteers to write so far, but I think we need at least two more. We also need to find some female judges still. Anyone know someone who might want the job? Hmmmm...perhaps I should ask Leona to judge just like the old days?

12. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    on second thought, as much as I want to, I can't participate. DRL just ambushed me. so sorry!

13. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Not a bad idea. She may go for that.

14. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    No go. Leona's busy.

15. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    I'll write - I need the practice as it has been a while since I last wrote for fun and not for school and work. I do have a couple of questions though: why do the judges have to be female? Why cannot anyone who wants to judge do so? I am just curious.

16. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm felame.
    Depending on whether or not I get what you're trying to do, I could do some judging.
    Can't guarantee anything though, I don't do that often.[face_blush]

17. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    Well, I suppose they don't HAVE to be. It's just tradition that they were 95% of the time. Though, I suppose altering that rule for this occasion wouldn't hurt.

Thanks MsLanna. I think we all would appreciate you judging.

Okay, so we have 3 volunteers and 1 judge.

18. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    *plops down on La-Z-Boy*

Oy. Celebrating the 2nd anniversary of my 21st birthday today.

I hate getting old, although I must say that I still feel young on the inside.

I still don't seem to be on the fanfic birthday thread.
    ( here )

Who do I have to sleep with to get on the list??

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    If you think 23 is getting old, my very young padapunk, then I'm not far from Yoda.

*smirk*

Happy Belated Birthday, BigE!

20. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    23? Old? Try coming up in January the 25th anniversry of your 28th birthday. [face_worried] Happy Belated Birthday! =D=

21. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    Uh, by my count that makes him 42. Either way, it doesn't matter, you're only as old as you feel. Yoda was like 400 in Clone Wars and he was flipping all over the damn place! :D

Happy B-Day, BigE.

22. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    You are correct sir, on both counts. Indeed, the most frustrating thing is that I don't feel that old on the INSIDE.

*sigh*

23. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    First off, Happy Belated Big E! And yes the OC Challenge was ridiculously easy... I'm disappointed in you E. :p

Secondly, I'd like to participate, but if you need I'm offering to help out and judge. :D

24. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    I think we'd all appreciate your participation, Ale. I'd say it would serve best as a writer, though, because I think two judges will be easier to find now.

So we need two more pieces to the puzzle. Any takers on judging in the challenge out there? You can be male or female, old member or new.

25. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Darn.
    I would have liked to push over my judging duty to Ale.:(

But anything to make that lazy scugger write.
    I want more stories! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.