The Gentlemen's Writing Guild

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SkalenFehl, Dec 5, 2004.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4

:eek: dude.

I have a new story right here in my pocket... oh wait, that's just a pile of good intentions. :p
  2. Almerus Jedi Knight

Hey GWG! I'm a kinda new and a kinda old member, but if you tell me what to do, I'll try judging.
  3. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    Do I really want to know what's in your pocket, Ale?:p

Great, Almerus.:D

So, what is still missing now?
  4. ZEGO Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks for stepping up, Almerus. :)

We need one more judge. Anyone know anyone that might want to take the job?
  5. SkalenFehl Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello gents! And ladies!? My life's been upside down for quite some time, but I'm glad to see that this place is alive and kicking again. I gotta catch up with what's been going on. Good to see some old friends here. I should be back a little more regularly. I've had to close down my company and figure a way to survive while I start another business endeavor as a fitness coach and personal trainer. I do miss writing, though, in a bad way.

Looks like we have folks interested in challenges again, eh? That's awesome! ZEGO, I'm glad to see you're still here, bud. I never heard a reply from you about our collaboration. Then again, we've both been gone a lot. If you're still interested, I am too!

For all our newbies, I am your host and founder of the GWG, MIA and almost defeated by DRL, but back from the depths of blackness; hopefully for good. Now to dust the cobwebs from my Word program!!

Oh! And I'd be happy to be the last judge! ;)
  6. SkalenFehl Jedi Master

star 4
    Happy belated birthday, buddy! Glad to see an old friend of the guild. I, myself, just turned 40 this week! Huzzah for us gents! Now where's my La-Z-Boy? *snaps fingers* Ah, still works! *plop*
  7. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    *rubs hands together*

So, do we have a challenge then? =P~
  8. mujapple-juicey Jedi Padawan

star 4
    yay the mighty and awesome 'c' word (challenge)!

should i start drumrolling?
  9. ZEGO Jedi Knight

star 2
    Bout damn time, Skalen! Hey man, sorry to hear about your construction company, I don't blame you one bit for taking an absence to try and save it. And yeah, I'd love to kick off Gamma Cell again here soon. You-Know-Who is just too good of a villain not to share with the public. Just hope some of our old readers are still around. And thanks for giving us the final key piece to the challenge.

Guess that just leaves one thing left to decide. THE TOPIC! If any of the gentlemen competing in the challenge have a suggestion, now would be the time to voice it. If this is your first challenge, an example of past ones we've done is Racing, Dueling...etc.
  10. BigE Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Good to see you again, hope things continue to get better.

Happy birthday yourself. :)

Challenge ideas? Good grief, I'm terrible at that sort of thing. :p
  11. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Has there ever been anything involving being shipwrecked?
  12. SkalenFehl Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope. That's sounds like a fun challenge!

I vote the challenge be "Shipwrecked".

:D
  13. mujapple-juicey Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i second that vote

*meanwhile, crazy brain gets seiged by plot bunnies*

*passes out*
  14. SkalenFehl Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool! Anyone opposed?

In the meantime, here's a small vignette to quench your thirst. I wrote this a long time ago for a completely different challenge. You could say it has to do with being shipwrecked.

Enemy of the Republic

Enjioy! :D
  15. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Very cool Skalen. :D

(too bad it was locked or I would have commented. :p )

And I'm glad people liked the challenge...
  16. ZEGO Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's got my seal of approval. :)
  17. BigE Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Awesome fic there, Skalen. :cool:

Ok, shipwrecked. I have a thought on it. Now to see if I can write something. :p
  18. mujapple-juicey Jedi Padawan

star 4
    wait, can we write something based off of a synonym of shipwrecked? i know this question probably sounds cray, but i've got one about someone stranded with nothing to do with a ship. can i still enter it?
  19. ZEGO Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, the topic is shipwrecked, but being stranded is mostly the same thing. I think if you add a small part in there about a ship crash then it should be acceptable.
  20. CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    WB, Skalen. As for the challenge, I have got nothing coming to me yet, but will think about it.
  21. mujapple-juicey Jedi Padawan

star 4
    is it ok if the crashing ship has utterly nothing to do with anything?

and by the way, does a ship that's been abandoned in the middle of space count as wrecked?
  22. BigE Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Perhaps if it had been damaged, such as by an asteroid or some other debris? [face_thinking]
  23. mujapple-juicey Jedi Padawan

star 4
    by blaster fire?

but its ok if it has nothing to do with anything, right? (it was just my way of getting rid of an OC)
  24. BigE Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Is there a deadline for the challenge?

I'm rather suprised myself, not being TFN's most prolific writer ( :p ) but I'm pretty much finished already.

I just may give it a few run-throughs to ensure I didn't mess up the flow of the story and whatnot.

25. SkalenFehl Jedi Master

star 4
    Back in the day we had quite the structured series of challenges with deadlines, themes, judges, etc. I think because of real world and life situations for most of us, myself included, I suggest we keep this challenge more casual, unless folks really want to have this structure again. We used the rubric method with three judges. At this point we have no real parameters. What do all the other participants and judges think?
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade