main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gentlemen's Writing Guild

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SkalenFehl, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Blended: I'm pretty sure that my school is associated with the place they filmed the climax to the pseudo-Bond/Bean/Austin spyfilm... :p

**nods**

Not bad... :D

Spike: What is your favourite kind of whiskey?

Whiskey? [face_not_talking] :p

Whisky, though? :p ;) :D

The most recent bottle I've opened is Ardnave, Tesco's supermarket bottling of Bruichladdich - unchilfiliered 12 y.o. Islay for £15.49; combines the peaty muscularity of the island with the salt tang of the sea. Stupidly good nightcap at a silly price...

And does anyone drink real ale? (I'm talking the Black Sheep, Speckled Hen kinda stuff)

**ahem**

Old Speckled Hen hasn't been "real" (well, not real Old Speckled Hen) since they took over the brewery and moved the production up north about five years ago - though that said, it's improved quite a lot again recently.

Very much a Scotsman when it comes to my beer as well, I'm afraid (hops?! wt*?!) - good, readily-available 'starters' are the organic lager and heavy (Broughton's, I suspect) sold as own-brand by Marks & Spencer...

- The Imperial Ewok

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Most of the time I just drink Newcastle Brown Ale. Gotta be loyal to your roots, eh? ;)

My dad's in a whisky club. He has so much of it he could sink a battleship.

3. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Father Jack: "Drink!"

Yes please.

Well, I'm a British sort of Gentleman, so if you please, although you will have to put up with my music [face_devil]

Emperor, Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir anyone?

Ah Spike, gimme se a' that whisky wi' ya?

4. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I'll listen to Cradle, but sorry Cobra, you're underage ;)

5. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Actually, no.

I'm not allowed to buy it until I'm 18, but I'm allowed to drink it now!

Haha!

6. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    Most of the time I just drink Newcastle Brown Ale.

I've had that stuff, but I wasn't impressed. Matter of fact, ales of all kinds aren't my cup of tea. But whiskey is just fine with me.

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm not allowed to buy it until I'm 18, but I'm allowed to drink it now!

Only if you drink it with a meal and an adult buys it for you and is also eating ;)

8. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    SkalenFehl: dianethx, I couldn't say exactly what the differences in writing styles is yet, apparently all the stories I've read have been from the girls. I must compliment the girls for being so descriptive in many instances. I will add that I come away wanting to hug someone, though. Must be a good thing. So I will focus now on reading man stories. Lots of shoot em up, bad guys die horrible deaths, good guys save the day and gets the girl type stories.

Read Hostile Forces by our very own ThrawnMcEwok if you want shooting and some guy-gets-girl-ness (recently, at least... :p ) and lots and lots of incredible writing and ideas. :D

[To be continued...]

9. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Goodday, gentlemen (and assorted ladies), I hope you all don't mind if I stop by this fine establishment and sit a spell.

10. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I don't like the implication of your statement. Do you have something you'd like to say to me?

No, there was no intended anything in that statement, honest. I like you...your funny. (If somewhat crazy)

*goes off to find a natural Ewok predator*

11. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Hi Elu. [face_batting]

lol Hello Megan. ;) :p

*watches Sarah get an ewok predator*

12. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    *Looks at Elu's Post*

Why does everyone want to flirt with Elu...

Why does no one want to flirt with me?

I mean, what does Elu got that I dont? (Besides like 10 times as many posts)

Topic... right..

Um...

Girls styles... yeah... way more desciptive... I know as a reader and writer of the occassional tale, I like to focus on plot development, while women usually focus on character development. I like a swashbuckling tale with a very good antagonist, whereas many women enjoy tormented characters and psychological distress...

These are generalities by the way...

So yeah...

*Takes out his briefcase, opens it, takes out a flagon of Jeru Tea, and pours it into his crystal glass*

*Sips*

13. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Why does everyone want to flirt with Elu...

Why does no one want to flirt with me?

I mean, what does Elu got that I dont?

Do you really want to get into that, friend? :p

14. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Ladies theres a nice spa with mud baths and free make-overs in the west wing. Lots of lufas or whatever they're called with all the works. Plenty of things to be pampered with.

*wrinkles nose* Ummm.. No. I'll pass. I am not into the extremely girly things, and if I am it's on very occasionally. :)

Hi, Imperial Hammer. [face_batting] :*

We all love, Elu. :) He's so cute and fluffy. :D

Women follow the men to annoy them. Duh. I mean they annoy us so why not get back at them. :p

Can anyone do photomanipulation here? I want to learn how but no one I know seems to know. :(

15. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    I like you...your funny. (If somewhat crazy)

I don't even give myself the somewhat when I'm describing myself

*goes off to find a natural Ewok predator*

Don't forget, that's only the first line of defense.

Ok, time for the serious talk. Guys' styles vs. Girls' styles. Just about everything I've read here has been done by women, so I guess I can try to compare them to myself.

Women tend to put in very detailed descriptions of people, places, clothing, etc. They also tend to give very in depth descriptions of what the characters are thinking and why. Also, the story tends to be character driven.

Men (i.e. me) give the important details, but leave the rest to the imagination. And characters are described more by their actions. I tend to give a description of the face rather than say someone is feeling __. And the why is typically evident from the situation. This also means the plot drives the story.

I think this goes back to the old men are more visual, women are more verbal theory. Guys don't need detailed descriptions because their visual skills will fill in the blanks and can infer things by action. Girls, on the other hand, use the words to more directly tell everything important to keeping the story going.

I'm not going to say one is better than the other. Both have their merits and their drawbacks. Most of what I read here is written by females while most of what I read by professionals is done by males.

Although now I'm wondering what would happen if we gave the same plot to a male and a female. Let both write and compare their results. See what each emphasizes/deemphasizes, how do they pace the story, etc. Just a thought. And no, I don't have time for this. The rabid plot bunnies are taking up enough of my time as it is. Maybe in a few months when I get a few tamed.

16. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Alrighty, whew! We got a lot of snow today. After working in it for about 5 or 6 hours I turned my guys loose and drove straight home.

Looks like I missed out on some fun banter. Anyway, I'd like to share one of my recent vignettes for your review. If anyone here has ever heard of Queensryche, or is a huge fan, then you might appreciate this story. I'm thinking of writing a back story to this little morsel. There would be a ton of angsty angst. Tell me what you think.

I remember now

So, has anyone thought further about other categories of writing? Do we dare add "mush" to see how we fare against the fairer sex? Or should we just leave that one alone and lock it up forever? Also if you're interested in being a part of the guild committee, please share a couple of passages of your favorite story that will totally impress the rest of us, or just burp as long as you are able. If you have some really impressive story material or just burp the longest, you may qualify. I would really like at the very least three volunteers and up to five.

Okay whose got the remote control to the 150" plasma TV?

17. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    HA! Exams are next week and I have NO time. But, I will try...

18. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    *comes back with a Wampa* Hiyah, Elu. [face_batting] :p

That's an interesting idea, BMK.

SF, I'd love to see a man's idea of mush! [face_devil]

19. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    A man's idea of mush, look at PtH. :p

Hiya Sarah. ;) :p

20. Jedi_BMK

Sep 10, 2004
    The wampa may be able to deal with the Ewoks. But an ice creature will have some trouble with the flame jets. I told you there were multiple lines of defense.

And someone likes my idea. :)

21. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    I can see what Jedi_BMK was saying but in some ways the ?visual? skills have the opposite effect on my writing.

I get the pictures, but then I describe them fairly fully and end up with a long story. Sometimes I describe them from different angles and end up with an even longer story.

One example would be the image of the Executor being dealt a glancing blow by the second Death Star?s superlaser (hopefully this won?t come out too trite, tired). Exaggerating the differences.

Short version:

Almost gently the superlaser beam touched the Executor but even this was enough to penetrate the SSDs shields and rip into its hull. The massive ship lurched as a wound was burned from its flank but the evasive manouvres had been enough to spare her the full effect and she survived. Before the Death Star could fire again the Executor shot away into hyperspace and safety.

Long version:

To the power of a Death Star the shields Piett had ordered concentrated over the Executor dorsal-starboard were as insubstantial as mist. Effortlessly the superlaser beam pierced them and sliced deep into the SSDs hull. A great mile long flaming wound was ripped from the Executor?s flank and the whole mighty ship jerked sideways, propelled by the expanding cloud of rapidly condensing vapour that had been solid matter only a fraction of a second before.

Secondary explosions rippled across the Executor as the tiny fraction of that vapour that had forced its way in through the holes torn in the hull rushed through the corridors and passageways. Even as it cooled this was still hotter than a blast furnace. Weakened blast doors warped and gave way, decompressing yet more of the ship. Walls melted, exposing power conduits that fused and exploded. Turbolaser capacitors and missile magazines over heated and added their destructive force to the devastation.

Etc. (with comments on how they had built the Executor well, the groan when she entered hyperspace and the patterns of stresses on her hull changed, probably another blast door giving way...)

And in the time it took me to type that (plus a ?focus on Piett?s feelings? version I deleted as that would just have been the next part or the part after that of the long version) a lot of replies got posted and the direction changed again.

22. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Hey guys I'd love it if you can give me and the authors in my thread some feedback. Either positive or negative.

23. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Ooh! Wampa!

*Arin chases wampa around the corner. Screams can be heard, then Arin returns with a serving plate full of meat and a big chef's hat*

*snaps fingers*
    *extra-long smoker with offset firebox appears*

I can't cook much... but this I can handle.
    You guys like your ribs wet or dry?

24. Jedi_BMK

Sep 10, 2004
    Mmm. Wampa ribs.

You guys like your ribs wet or dry?

I'll go for dry. And let me get some of those Ewoks. We'll have a full barbeque. All kinds of choices.

Who's taking care of stocking the cooler?

25. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Just snap your fingers and they stock themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.