main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Give Seha Dorvald More Screen Time/Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by A Tool, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Here we can discuss what will happen to her next, where she'll end up in the future, or if she'll have a future at all.....

Now let's hear it for everyone's new favorite redheaded Jedi!!!! ;D

2. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Hooray! Seha and her only canon image! When I have time, I will start posting my favorite Seha moments and why I love them (and her :) ).

A Tool likes this.
  3. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    Glad you could make it to the party, imiller! :D

I would try and color her hair, but MSN paint is all I have at my disposal.... :p

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    She looks like I expected her too

5. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, appearance, as far as we know, is "really attractive," "lean," and "red hair."

As long as she's not a minger, I'm good! Though not wearing a catsuit would be great too.

6. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    Hopefully she can get a portrait in the art contest! :D

People need to go vote for her, however.
    Let's show Mr. Allston and Del-Ray people love the character!

Also, much love to Allston for creating and writing her. =D=

First order of business is to declare Seha Awareness Day... :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    Hm, I should have put a poll of dates up for potential Seha Awareness days..... [face_thinking]

On the subject of Seha herself, who do you think she should become?

Hopefully, when she becomes Ben's love interest, they don't turn her into a copy&paste of Mara. :D
    Vestara's already got that base covered. :p

8. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Seha Dorvald: Beginnings
    Legacy of the Force: Exile

(Part of a series of posts detailing Seha's appearances and why she is awesome in them :) )

Seha, as the creation of Aaron Allston designed to fill out the regular cast (http://tosche-station.net/?p=1457) and add depth to the Star Wars universe, has very humble beginnings. In Exile, the third book of the Legacy of the Force series, she has two appearances, neither of them from her own perspective.

pp. 51-52:

Serving as the receiving apprentice on duty in the Jedi Temple's reception hall, Seha is described as being young and breathlessly enthusiastic when she reports visitors to Luke and Mara. Despite her jejune zest for life as a Jedi Apprentice, she appears very nervous to Luke, twirling her red hair around her finger as the two most famous and probably most powerful Jedi in the galaxy approach her. Despite her nervousness, she comports herself correctly, bowing and following unspoken directions to leave the hall to give the Masters privacy with Jagged Fel.

pp. 109-111:

A slightly longer scene, but with significantly more content for Seha. Still not from her perspective, but from the third Skywalkers, 13-year-old Ben, the scene provides a vivid glance at her background and future. The hormonal teenaged Ben notices her attractiveness immediately, her long red hair and tall figure provoking a rather intense reaction - he internally comments on her beauty three times in the short interaction. However, Seha's not there just as eye candy - she covertly hands Ben a datacard with a mission from his master, Jacen Solo, already well on his way to the Dark Side and attempting to take his apprentice with him. Seha seems to have no glimmering of a darker intent - she remains cheerful and a bit flirty, complimenting Ben and asking about his old-fashioned Jedi Padawan braid. Ben, being an investigator, also observes her accent, speech patterns, and position in the Jedi Order (a late starter, like Ben and both his parents) in addition to her looks. The scene ends as Seha moves on to a lesson, and Ben to his perilous brush with the Dark Side.

These two scenes, though nearly a blip on the radar in terms of page count, made a fairly strong impression on me when first reading the Legacy of the Force series. Seha the breathless, hero-worshipping Jedi Apprentice was kind of an audience figure. However, in addition to providing a kind of "normal" hook into the Jedi Order, she also provides a vector for several important plot, worldbuilding, and character trails. For the plot, her background and function in interacting with Ben setup major events in Allston's next book in the series, Fury (on which more next time!). Her use of Allston's made up slang term astral, similar to Ben's use oflubed (for which Jacen chided him) in Betrayal, more elegantly develops Star Wars as a linguistically developing culture than Denning writing Ben voicing annoying and juvenile swearing in Tempest. Similarly, Ben's age and immaturity appear in his distracted response to her beauty, while his immense native intelligence and training with the Galactic Alliance Guard reveals her undercity accent and educated speech patterns as well as her age - old to be an apprentice Jedi.

So, in her first outing, Seha has been nervous around Luke and Mara, and made Ben nervous around her. Tune in next time to see how she fares after Mara's death throws the galaxy into chaos and Fury. :)

A Tool likes this.
  9. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    =D= Love it!

I remember reading that and thinking she was going to be Ben's love interest for
    the rest of the series. Didn't happen, but it should've. :p

So, what did you guys think she would of her or what she'd become after she made her first appearance?

10. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Totally agree - I at least thought they might give Ben and Seha some more scenes where they flirt. But FotJ kind of didn't allow for that, since Ben is exiled and then gets a love interest and such.

Personally, I think Seha is much, much better as a love interest for Ben than Vestara - which probably means less drama (because writers are lazy) and thus probably won't happen. Oh, well.

I recall fan reaction between LotF and FotJ being "I hope it's not Seha" when they announced an upcoming love interest for Ben. Pity - I think she deserves more fan love. :)

11. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    That was a weird reaction, considering she's awesome! :p

12. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Seha made the cut in the art competition!

A Tool likes this.
  13. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    Success, I'm really excited to see the art of both Ben and Seha, hopefully they get put together. :p

14. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Together or apart, I'd be happy just to have more awesome Seha art (and Ben art) to share!

15. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll make the Seha pic my avatar until she is mentioned again in a novel. :p
    Gotta spread awareness somehow, haha! :D

16. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    We have an artist over in the art contest thread who's picked Seha! Hooray! Everyone (all two of us) should go cheer for them!

17. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    Everything is falling into place... [face_devil]

18. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    At last we shall have our revenge!

Wait...why are we revenging?

19. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    For the lack of Seha of course! :p

20. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    But that's not the Dorvald way!

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Seha wouldn't call it revenge. She'd call it... a polite rectification :p

A Tool likes this.
  22. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    And then smile and cover you with foam!

Also, welcome, noble leader of our EUC!

A Tool likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *smiles*

Thank you for the warm welcome, imiller.

I have indeed enjoyed Seha, though I wish that Allston would not be the only author to play with the 'X-wing' cast... I miss Stackpole, and I definitely miss Zahn and how he elevated Corran to 'primary character' slot... Seha needs this!

24. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I think Sword of the Jedi might be a great place to do this! Golden has mentioned Seha before, so I think it might be possible.

A Tool likes this.
  25. A Tool

Sep 2, 2012
    Sinrebirth! :D
    Welcome to the party!!!! [face_party]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.