main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Glove of Darth Vader book series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NarundiJedi, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Once, long ago, when I was just a wee child, there was very little in the EU. Of course there was Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the marvel comics, the movie novelizations(those don't really count as EU, do they?), the Thrawn Trilogy, and a little children's book series that began with a book called "The Glove of Darth Vader". I, however, am not really sure what the other books were called because I stupidly lent them to a friend who never gave them back :p

Even though these books came about long before the books that we now regard as "EU canon", nobody really took them seriously. Kevin J Anderson is one of the few who took something from one of the books as canon. What I want to know is if everything is supposedly canon, then why was this one little book series ignored and the other two children's book series' (YJK and JJK) taken into consideration? Heck, they even used characters from YJK in the new novel! Poor poor Glove of Darth Vader, the B@st@rd child of the EU :(

So, I decided to make this thread so we could all reminisce about the series. What did you think of it? Good or Bad, I wanna know :D Oh, and could anyone tell me what the names of the other books were? Thanks :)

Jae Angel

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I love how the EU links to them nowadays in alot of sources post EC, in WOTC products.

3. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    Oh, I read these. I got them for christmas when I was yet a wee biarn (by my own reckoning), back in '94. They were waaay below my reading level, though I was just seven. Gee, who were the characters? People like... Ken, and Triclops or something really simplistic like that. But anyway, according to these books, didn't Palpatine have a son?

The answer to your question about why YJK and JJK characters are in SbS? Simple. There are more of them, they're all Jedi, and they're all in a position to actually do stuff now. Er, at least, a lot of them were...

4. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    The idea for the books wasn?t that bad. The characters in the books were pretty good to. However, Han and Leia where completely out of character. The idea that Lando still was the administrator of Cloud City even after the Empire took control of it, was ludicrous. In fact the whole story itself could be considered ludicrous, due to the way it was handled.

The creatures used in the books were fine. I have nothing against them or even the fact that the Emperor has a grandson. What I have a problem with is the lack of believability of the story. I heard (I only read the first half of the series) that Han and Leia get married during that series, but latter they are not married. This is absurdly out of character for the both of them (as if Han always wanting to have a nice floating home wasn?t out of character enough).

I believe that what the authors have been doing so far is good. Ignore the story but use the creatures, and the good ideas from those books. I seem to recall a similar judgment made in regards to one of the comic book series, only that decision was made more formal (Valiento, can you back me up here). I wish they would do the same with these books.

5. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Oh, before I get a lot of people biting my head off, I forgot to add the Han Solo Trilogy, which I'm pretty sure was around back when the Glove of Darth Vader was released. . .correct me if I'm wrong, I never read them.

Jae Angel

6. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Oh, I remember one good thing about the series: The artwork! I have a piece of original art from one of the books because my dad knows June Brigman personally! That's one good thing about being an artist's daughter ;)

Jae Angel

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Came after actually. if your talking about crispen's

Han solo adventures by daley came long time before though.

Oh, and actually I personally believe no big errors exist in this series that can't be explained in some way.

The cloud city with lando is actually listed up on the official site under lando's databank entry.

I'm all for use of any story in the entirety and fixing errors where need be.

Oh, and there so bad and cheesy that I love them for there quirkyness.

8. Ornitier

Ornitier Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2000
    Horrid. Then again I started reading them about a year ago (and finished)... They were more child oriented. They have imges every few pages. then they created characters out of the blue while the more recent kid books featured some with a back story already. Then some of the things were a bit silly.

9. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Personally The series ranks up in my top 5 fav sagas.I loved Trioculas and the Grand Moffs.Did anyone like the Profets pf the dark side??

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "then they created characters out of the blue while the more recent kid books featured some with a back story already. Then some of the things were a bit silly."

Umm, when godv came out, there was only ttt, and dark forces that were released at the near exact same time.

There was not much beyond marvel to choose from to use for backhistory. So use that excuse has no logic whatsoever. If Godv was written say in the last 3 years or so, it would have probably had more links to all the EU.

Oh, it even has some TTT refrences in it, if you know where to look.

11. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Oh, and actually I personally believe no big errors exist in this series that can't be explained in some way.

I never said that the errors couldn?t be explained. I just wish that the ones in that series didn?t have to be.

12. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    The prophets? Yeah, they were kind of cool... I just wonder where they came from?

13. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    If I remember correctly (which in this case, isn?t very likely), the ones in those books where false prophets.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    well, it's sad that back then authors decided to ignore each other. Zahn ignored Dark Empire, cause he wanted too.

authors didn't do much with marvel.

Wolverten didn't merge his story into GODV and make sure it fit well.

Face it LFL wasn't following everything to the point that they do now(Of course in some directions they have gotten a bit lax as of late).

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes the Godv books themselves say the prophets are frauds as well.

16. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Ummmm, Zahn's books came before Dark Empire. I know this to be true because I got my first Thrawn Trilogy book in the beginning of fifth grade and I'd already finished reading Dark Force Rising when I arrived back home from a trip to Arizona to find Dark Empire #1 sitting on my bed. So, Dark Empire should have conformed to fit what Zahn stated in his books, not the other way around.

Jae Angel

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually Dark Empire was written long before TTT, but didn't get printed until after TTT. Veitch had to go back and change a few plot threads so as to keep continuity meshed, because of zahn's obstinence and only wanting to follow what he wanted too. Paraphrased from interview with zahn in AJ #1, "I didn't want to have anything to do with comics, but weg had produced some wonderful bits of star wars material"

18. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    ooooooooh, I didn't know Veitch wrote DE first. That's cool :) I wasn't really a fan for very long when it came out, so I didn't know that :D

Bad Zahn, BAD!!! :p

Jae Angel

19. spicelord1

spicelord1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2000
    I thought this series was ok. Way too child oriented for my tastes and the stories clashed with other EU tales that came later. They are alright to read if there is no other Star Wars literature available for you too read at the time and no one see you. :)

Narundijedi: The names of the remaining books are The lost city of the Jedi, Zorba the Hutts Revenge, Mission from mount Yoda, Queen of the Empire, and Prophets of the Dark side.

20. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Oh, yeah that's right!! hahahaha!!! Jabba had a daddy!!! :D hahahahahaha!

On that note, I'm going to sleep :)

Jae Angel

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It had brillance mixed in with stupidity.

Good:

Duros as a wrecked environmental disaster area was very well done.

Same for Chadra Fan

Human Replica Droids were first invented here...

The word "Grand Admiral" makes it's first appearence here.

Grand Moff Hissa, Triculous, Zorba, and the IDEA of the Prophets were fairly interesting.

The Lost City of the Jedi wasn't such a bad concept...just on Yavin and even then only because it was so much cooler the Sith origin.

I liked the theme park Hologram fun world.

Braze is funny to say.

The Bad:

A Grand Moff sitting in a bar on Tatooine and no one notices.

SPIN is a rather idiotic name and way to acronyms.

The Imperial Book of EEVILLLLL (you know the one)

Making Dagobah an environment for children of the alliance...

(Can you imagine the ADD on those kids?)

Making Hoth an Imperial HQ and referring to only movie worlds for candidates.

The fact that the leaders of the Empire and the two prophets of the dark side were so easily dispatched

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Two fraudalent false prophets of the darkside actually.

I'm not sure but I think GODV came out after TTT, but in the same general time frame or year(after first or second book of ttt). grand admiral and the vision of the future where leia forsees having twins, was a refrence to zahn's works(plus a few other things). Other things was refrences to WEG material as well in the material(and can also be seen in the way that the authors thank WEG in the forward.).

23. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, there was WEG stuff all over the place...almost too much.

One was a Imperial landrover kind of personal tank ( I forget what it's called ), seen in one of the books...It originated in the Imperial Sourcebook.

And then there was Trioculous's Strike Cruiser. :)

24. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    In the TFN review for one of the GODV books, it says that the Grand Moff gets dissolved by acid...WITH A PICTURE. I am sickly twisted and would love to see this image. All owners of GODV: scan that pic! :D

25. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Fully. And then in the last book, I believe this Grand Moff ( was it Hissa? ) has his legs replaced by a repulsorlift unit ( like Maw from Jedi Knight ), and falls into a river of hot lava, melting. :D

Those books aren't too shabby. Just very juvenile in their style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.