main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The God Of Thunder - Thor Movie Thread ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Yes, I think Pitt is awesome -- his turn as Achilles in Troy is a stunning tour de force, IMO -- but his age is showing, and the script Vaughan wants calls for a Thor in his early 20s.

2. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Matthew Vaughn is unfortunately no longer attached to this project.

Sad. I acctually like what he did with Stardust and was looking forward to see what he could make with Thor.

3. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ Bummer! I liked Stardust, too, and was looking forward to seeing what he would do with my favorite Marvel character. :(

Oh, well... onward and upward! I'm sure in the wake of Iron Man's success, whoever they attach to the project will be a topnotch director.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Branagh in talks to direct 'Thor'

Kenneth Branagh is negotiating to direct "Thor," the next Marvel Comics property that will be turned into a live-action film by Marvel Studios. Pic will be released in 2010.
    Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige's choice of Branagh is surprising, as Branagh hasn't really directed an action-heavy film since his debut on "Henry V," a bloody telling of the British king's conquest of France.

Branagh is the latest in a string of directors -- such as Jon Favreau ("Iron Man"), Christopher Nolan (the Batman franchise) and Gavin Hood ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine") -- with arthouse roots taking on big-budget comicbook fare.

Marvel will set a distributor for "Thor" shortly.

"Thor" comicbook adaptation, penned by Mark Protosevich, follows disabled medical student Donald Blake, who has an alter ego as the hammer-wielding Norse god Thor.

Marvel will self-finance the film via its $500 million credit facility through Merrill Lynch. Marvel used that coin to fund both "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk" and will do the same for the "Iron Man" sequel that has director Favreau and star Robert Downey Jr. returning.

The "Thor" negotiations come during a resurgence for Branagh. He's currently drawing raves on the London stage in the title role of "Ivanov," and he'll next be seen acting in the Richard Curtis-directed "The Boat That Rocked" and the Bryan Singer-helmed "Valkyrie."

Branagh is repped by Endeavor and manager Judy Hofflund.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I hope this happens, because it would have a 50/50 chance of either:

a) being the greatest thing ever, or
    b) epic failure of amazing proportions

Either way it should be great fun.

6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Um...isn't Merrill Lynch one of of casualties in the latest banking unpleasantness?

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they were acquired by another enitity, so presumably Marvel's thing transfers over to the new owners.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JMS has apparently finished a rewrite of the script. Great news as his Thor run in the comics has been great so far.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Agreed. Even though this is the film section of the SFF Boards, his latest, Thor #11, just shows what a great writer he is and that I have faith in him to do rewrites of the movie script.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I will believe it when I'm sitting in the theater, watching the title come up on-screen, wearing my chromed plastic winged Thor helmet and clutching my 1976 MEGO Thor action figure tightly to my chest.

... unless my wife is with me, in which case no fig and no goofy helmet, but maybe she could dress up as Sif. I digress.

POINT: I'll believe it when I see it.

12. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    And we have a winner...

IMDB

Personally I feel pretty confident about this choice. We didn't see much of him in Trek but what we did see was pretty damn heroic. Plus the people responsible for the pick seem very confident in him. Obviously there will be some bulking up for the role involved, so that shouldn't be an issue. He's 26 so it looks like we're getting the younger-looking Thor.

And the release date has been changed to June 17, 2011.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Chris Hemsworth: Yeah, okay, I'm feelin' it. This is excellent news. (He's also going to be in the Whedon-scripted Cabin in the Woods and in the remake of Red Dawn.)

I had a feeling the Thor film would be pushed back a year. The link provided by Phoenix, above, says:

Thor begins filming in January for a June 17, 2011 release.

How this will affect the release date of the Avengers film is anyone's guess.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they officially pushed Avengers back a year, to accommodate Jon directing Iron Man 2 and the delay of Thor.

15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    My fears have been confirmed, then. Any idea what the revised schedule looks like?

EDIT: According to this wiki page, Iron Man II is slated for 2010, with Spidey 4, Thor and Cap in 2011, and Avengers coming in 2012.

[face_thinking]

2011/12 is going to be a stellar couple of years for the Marvel U... if it happens as planned, which color me skeptical, but I tend to doubt.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Tom Hiddleston is Thor's Loki

After breaking the news that Star Trek and "Home and Away" star Chris Hemsworth has been cast in the title role of Marvel Studios' Thor, Deadline Hollywood Daily has now also learned that director Kenneth Branagh has cast his nemesis, Loki.

The part has gone to Tom Hiddleston, an award-winning British actor and Royal Academy Of Dramatic Arts (RADA) graduate. He played Winston Churchill's son in HBO's "The Gathering Storm" and has starred in "Ivanov" opposite Branagh on the London stage and also starred with him in the BBC miniseries "Wallander."

Thor is targeted for a May 20, 2011 release.

All we have left really is Odin and Lady Sif. Also do we think Hemsworth will also play Donald Blake if they bring that aspect of Thor into the movie?

17. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I wouldn't mind seeing them try no Blake, only Thor. And lots of Asgard

The origin -> villain tied to origin -> secret identity problems -> final showdown between the two former friends superhero movie plot formula is feeling overdone.

18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Thor is targeted for a May 20, 2011 release.

Given this, may I request a thread-title change? Thanks!

19. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    It sounds pretty cool, but I wonder if this movie will do Thor justice.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I like the director (Kenneth Branaugh) is more than qualified to take it on. What I think it will come down to is the actors playing the big roles of Thor, Loki, Odin, and if they include this aspect Donald Blake.

21. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Looks like Natalie Portman is going to play Jane Foster.

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?bfromind=7571&eeid=6687065&_sitecat=1479&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=0&ck=&c

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Great news! I'm a big fan of Portman, and not just because she's so hideously ugly. ;)

It also definitely clues us in that Donald Blake is the way to go with this one... which suits me fine, as the comics have been doing very well with that character of late.

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Anthony Hopkins to Play Odin in Thor!

Anthony Hopkins has been cast as Norse god Odin in Marvel Studios' Thor, to be directed by Kenneth Branagh starting January.

Odin is the father of Thor and Loki, to be played by Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston, respectively. Natalie Portman is playing Thor's love interest, Jane Foster.

In the movie, written by Mark Protosevich and Zack Stentz, the powerful but arrogant warrior Thor's reckless actions re-ignite an ancient war. As punishment, Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans. Once here, he learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends dark forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Paramount Pictures will release the film on May 20, 2011.

24. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    That sounds like a solid choice to me.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/thor_concept_art_chris_hemsworth_02.jpg] [image=http://www.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/thor_concept_art_chris_hemsworth_01.jpg] [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/4565805724_f82808c1af_o.jpg]