main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The God Of Thunder - Thor Movie Thread ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jun 13, 2007.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Wow, didn't know it was out already.

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah, just got back from seeing it myself. Very tightly scripted and great performance by Hemswoth, made me actually like Thor for once. Great cameo in the middle of the film that was obviously a re-shoot but ties in well with what was there. And as usual, stay past the credits for something that ties in with both Captain America and likely Avengers.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fixed.

4. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm really unsure how the Avengers are going to gel, ie: we know that eventually Captain America will be the 'team' leader.

However, how will he keep all of the ego's in control? Ie: Stark, the God Thor, etc. I can see Cap leading Bruce Banner, but the others? It's going to be an interesting team dynamic.

Will the Avengers be an 'origin' film, ie: how all of these characters meet and interact?

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I could Thor being impressed by Cap in battle. The Asgardians have always been portrayed as having respect for great warriors. As for Tony, they could say that Cap was a childhood hero of his and he grew up listening to stories about Cap from his father. A little childhood hero worship could go a long way. In the end though, all they really need is Nick Fury to say "Cap's in charge". :p

6. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    That brings up another question. Why should all of these superheroes (AVENGERS: Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, etc.) take orders from bureaucrats like Nicky Fury and Agent Caulson?

What is the Avengers / S.H.I.E.L.D. chain of command?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the main theme to Iron Man 2 was to show how Stark couldn't do everything on his own and needed to share the burden with his allies like Rhodey, SHIELD, Potts & his dad. That lesson could be applied to as a setup for Avengers.

Cap would usually take orders from the government. Hawkeye seems to be working for them already, they may get the Hulk via Stark's consultation with General Thunderbolt via Betty. That just leaves Thor- who might just be there out of respect of the warriors he's with.

8. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I thought Thor was a little to quick to say that Agent Caulson is with the good guys, and his allegiance is with them (forget the exact dialogue, it was really brief). I was ... huh?

A large segment of the movie has SHIELD trying to stop Thor getting Mjolnir ... then he suddenly says they are the good guys?

9. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    edit: :oops: never mind. I didn't read the rest of the thread.

10. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    http://www.slashfilm.com/superhero-bits-isaiah-mustafa-met-luke-cage-captain-america-tony-stark-toetotoe-the-avengers/#more-102873

"n other comic book news, Chris Evans recently sat down with MTV (via Nerd Bastards) and shared some insight into Captain America?s place in The Avengers, which may provide some relief to fans worried that the success of Iron Man would result in Tony Stark overshadowing Captain America as the team?s leader.

When asked if Evans would like future film installments of Captain America to take place in modern times, here?s what he had to say:

We start ?The Avengers? on Monday, and ?The Avengers? is modern world. Even in the first ?Cap? movie, they bring him into the modern world ? that does happen. In ?The Avengers,? they start to explore this. He?s a fish out of water, a man not in his time, and he?s just coming to terms with the way the world is now and how it?s changed since the ?40s. I think there?s certainly a dichotomy ? this kind of friction between myself and Tony Stark. They?re polar opposites. One guy is flash and spotlight and smooth, and the other guy is selfless and in the shadows and kind of quiet? and they have to get along. They explore that, and it?s pretty fun.

Evans also says he has a new costume in The Avengers, which is ?awesome? and reflects a lot of progress made from the costume?s earlier stages, as will be contrasted by how it appears in Captain America."

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Actually, there have been hints that Iron Man will lead. In the current cartoon, it is Iron Man that is the leader of the team. Characters in that show (particularly Iron Man) seem to be based at least partially off the movie. And early on there was talk of Stark being the team leader. Whether or not Joss Whedon has changed this I'm not sure.

12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    That would be an odd move for SHIELD to place Iron Man as the team leader when they specifically state they don't want Stark on the team at all in IM2. Of course they change their minds but that still seems like a strange leap from reluctant trust to placing enough faith in the man to let him lead their superpowered team.

And in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, there seems to be an ongoing (unspoken) question whether Stark should be the leader. They have often hinted at Cap's superior ability to lead and some questionable decision making by Stark. I would wager that they are setting up a later power struggle between the two where Cap will be the field leader while Stark helps make some of the more...executive decisions for the team.

13. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    That works from a script standpoint. My concern is that RDJ's screen presence will overshadow Chris Evans. You've got to admit that he (RDJ) dominates most of the scenes he is in.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sam Jackson is able to keep RDJ in his place, I think. Whether Evans can, remains to be seen. But, add in the IM2 "I need help" humbling Stark got, perhaps RDJ will tone it down slightly for serious scenes.

15. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    If Captain America doesn't lead the Avengers, then he deserves to be called Lieutenant America.

16. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    agreed.

Cap has always led the Avengers more by example anyway.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught the midnight- very fun flick. Was happy to see that they didn't show everything in the trailers. Cast is generally awesome and the overall reviews seem to be right- the romance aspect is too brief to be effective but otherwise it's a good flick.

Plus, the expected Stan cameo and unexpected JMS cameo were perfect touches.

(In fact, I was thinking during the movie, "They should have given a cameo to JMS in the-" and bam! There he is.

That's right- I made that happen... with my mind. ;)

18. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    lol at the double post. :p

I thoroughly enjoyed the film and can't wait for the avangers and thor 2. :D

Evil.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I liked it, give it an 8.5 out of 10. Loki was very well acted, very sympathetic, was almost routing for him. Can't really think of anything I didn't like, just wished they had more time to do more characterization for the Asgardians. I'm also surprised they didn't start trying to establish a love triangle between Thor, Sif, and Jane Foster. Guess they are going to drop it or just pull it out of thin air for the sequels. Some people didn't like the Darcy girl but I though she was good, she got some good laughs and helped lighten the mood.

All in all very good movie.

20. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm just dropping in to say that I saw Thor yesterday and I thought it was amazing. It didn't make me want to go out and buy every Thor comic out there the way Iron Man did (and I did go out and buy quite a few). But still, pretty darn good.

By far may favorite character was Loki. What's-his-name just nailed the part perfectly.

21. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I agree Loki was awesome, Shakespearean awesome. I mean the only real wrong thing he did was get the frost giants in at the beginning causing them to kill two guards. Other than that he really didn't do anything that 'evil' or 'villainous' I mean I suppose him trying to kill all the Frost Giants is wrong, but we the audience were never given any reason to think they all weren't a bunch of genocidal monsters just waiting to conquer the universe.

Loki is just so sympathetic, Odin clearly has a favoritism towards Thor for letting him get that close to the throne with that attitude. I mean you really see how alone he is when after taking the throne not one of his 'friends' even bothers to congratulate him, of course they only seemed to tolerate Loki because he was Thor's brother to begin with. Thor was the closest thing to an actual friend and clearly Thor wasn't the best big brother with how Loki wanted to ruin his day so much.

Not to mention growing up hearing stories about how evil and awful the frost giants are, especially their king, only to find out that not only is he a frost giant but also the son of that evil king. I wonder how much of his desire to wipe out all the frost giants was a subconscious hatred of himself and what he is. Everything he did was trying to get his fathers approval.

Now that he seems to have severed all ties with his family and Asgard I wonder if he's going to just be a straight up villain now though.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We'll find out in Avengers, it seems.

JMS's relatively-recent run was pretty good (though eventually sidetracked by the Siege crossover, which is why he left), one reason why he worked on the story of the film and got the cameo appearance. It's only 2-4 volumes of material, but worth a read.

23. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I might check them out of the library.

I will say, though, that there was far too much of the indistinct screaming for me. It sort of reminded me of how there was a lot of screaming at the sky in Wolverine.

And did anyone else notice that there was an awful lot of crying men in this movie? :p

Also, did anyone else get a chuckle out of seeing Loki in a suit? :p

24. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    That would be a lovely threesome.

25. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I agree, that would be the tricycle of legends.

Evil.