main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Golden Age Cafe

Discussion in 'Community' started by Son of Kenobi, Sep 17, 2000.

1. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    Personally I'm hoping the Braves will surprise me by taking back the NL East this year. I can't wait for the start of the regular season.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Do you go to games at PNC Park?

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I go to a couple a year. My parents have a season ticket package, so sometimes they offer to buy me cheaper seats and I go with a friend. PNC Park is great. A lot better than Three Rivers for baseball. But I wish I had a team that I could get excited about.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I went to 29 games at Dodger Stadium last year. :cool: I plan on going to more this season. :D

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Nice. Being at the park is the only way to enjoy baseball. Even the World Series on TV isn't that good. It just doesn't translate. You gotta be there to get the full experience.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Despite the current state of the Pirates franchise, you should (if you haven't already) plan on going to the home opener. I went to a Dodgers home opener for the first time last season, and despite their loss in the game, it's an experience in which I'll never forget.

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm not sure about the home opener. If some of my friends are interested in heading down, I'd be all for it. Right now, I live about an hour to an hour and a half away from the city, so it'd be doable. [face_thinking]

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Only that little of a distance from Pittsburgh? :eek: Horrible excuse! I live within the city of L.A., and on day with no traffic problems, it still takes about 40 minutes to get to Dodger Stadium. :p

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I know, it probably is a horrible excuse not to.[face_blush] Hmm...either way, I should get my friends to go to a Buccos game once the season starts.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I had less of problem to convince one of my friends to go to games, and he's not even a baseball fan. :p

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Nice. But I think the real problem is the Pirates. Most people have seen PNC Park times and are still very impressed with it. But people don't want to go unless we have a good opponent. The Yankees are coming to town this year, and I bet those tickets were gone the first day they went on sale. After about 5 seasons, the stadium isn't going to bring fans out. We need good ownership.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That, and a good ballclub on the field wouldn't hurt. :p

2008: The 50th season of L.A. Dodger baseball! :cool:

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Haha, true that. :p

At least I've seen the Steelers and Penguins win the championship in my lifetime. I don't really remember the Cup in '91 or '92, but I can pretend.:cool: And I'll just accept the myth that long time ago, the Pirates didn't have a loosing season, and actually made it to the NLCS with some young player named Barry Bonds before his head got big. And what's more, they've won the World Series a couple of times!

14. The Irish Jedi

The Irish Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 17, 1998
    It's so strange that no one who started this thread is really around anymore... it gives this thread a sort of life other ones don't possess. I did just learn that em is teaching in England now, which is cool. A lot of us grew up while we were posting here. And that is weird. The internet age, indeed.

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Wow, there's a name I haven't seen for a while. I remember you from my early days at the JCC, when I was a lurker. The internet age is a strange one, in deed. The JCC has its cycles, that's for sure.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    At least I'm somewhat of a constant during the history of this fourm. :p

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...:p

18. The Irish Jedi

Aug 17, 1998
    What I would like to know is if there is anyone still involved with the JC, or Force.net for that matter, who had anything to do with the old Texas A&M site this all evolved from. That was definately before me... the only dude I can think of who talked about it was ObiwannaCracker... maybe BoB. I just think it would be really interesting to talk to someone who has really seen this place evolve.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    For all the **** I always give to people who live in Texas ( :p ), I always forget that's where TF.N started.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I agree, The Irish Jedi. It would be interesting to see ObiwannaCracker around here again and BoB too. They've seen quite a change. And to think that the change from UBB to IGN boards was big. I didn't even know what the Internet was when this place had started. I barely knew what Star Wars was then too.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm convinced that the person behind the name ObiWannaCracker has either posted after he (or she) stopped using that particular account, or came back sometime later. That, or perhaps OWC did leave this place for good after making the JC's 1138th post.

22. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I've wondered on a couple of "post milestone" occasions (definitely other people's... not mine [face_blush] ) just how many posts OWC would have had if he had continued posting here. At that rate only, he would have been outdone already... just over 40,000 posts. I think OWC would have definitely upped the rate, though, with the prequel speculation of those years and all of the dern jackalopes rising up to usurp his posting power. :p

We, however, are only left to speculate at the glory of having more OWC posts at all. :(

23. The Irish Jedi

Aug 17, 1998
    I think he was assassinated by George Lucas, but be careful who you relay that to.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I trust nobody anyway, so the information shall be safe.

25. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Now, if he had been assassinated by Not George Lucas, that would have been doubly tragic.