main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Golden Age of Zombie Entertainment May Be Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, May 18, 2016.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

=D=

When Romero started going back to making zombie films, I was bummed. He said everything he had to say with Night and Dawn really. And, yes, Martin is my favorite Romero film. Anyway...

To answer your question about media featuring scary zombies:

Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (a.k.a. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie) The atmosphere, sound effects and general creakiness of the red eyed zombies still scare the crap out of me even though I've managed to sit through this several times (because Ray Lovelock was at his hottest in this film *ahem*), and too, because the police are as scary as the zombies. The us vs. them element is compounded by the status quo elders (cops) and the hippie couple who are wrongly accused of the murders the zombies are committing. Still, I've shut this off a decent amount of times too because all of those elements do unnerve me. If you like gore effects, this film had some insanely brutal moments. Great ending too.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm shedding very dry tears right now pondering the death of the Zombie-zeitgeist.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There have never really been scary zombies, or even very interesting ones. That's why the only successful entries in the genre focus on the world afterward. Even though, you know, it's a pretty generic post-apocalyptic scenario that could have followed a natural disaster or something.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, you can switch out many of the films' zombies with a big wave or asteroid or nuclear war and you get much the same thing. In fact, WWZ's zombies seemed to attack with a wave or zombie tsunami.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, wow, that's a very insightful observation. They definitely do. I was mixed to negative on WWZ, but the Jerusalem sequence that starts when the zombies crest the wall and then sweep through the city streets, exactly like a wave as you say, is a knockout.

There were basically three genuinely great bits in WWZ; the Jerusalem sequence, as mentioned, is the best. Then there's the bit where Pitt does the countdown on the edge of the roof, planning to jump, should he be infected. And then finally, the super-perverse, very daring move of really building up this scientist as being the one great hope for humanity and making it mission critical to protect him. And then killing him off via the time test method of tripping and falling. That was a really bold and hilarious twist that I did not see coming. So great.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I get the feeling the Zombieland sequel will happen eventually once they get the actors all on the same page (one of the reasons why the Zombieland pilot didn't feel right was, sometimes, cast chemistry really is a genuine alchemical process that you can't replicate). Sure, probably Emma Stone, Jessie Eisenberg, Woody Harleson and Abigail Breslin cost significantly more than before (Well, okay, maybe not Breslin, she was coming off an Oscar win in the first Zombieland) but that cast/concept seems beloved enough that I'm sure someone will throw some cash at the lot of 'em again. However, the Zombieland writers are knee deep in Deadpool land now (sequel!) so that may kick it back another 4 years. Maybe the price tag will go down by then.

But I've always wanted to see Kirkman's Marvel Zombies made into a thing. Please let that be a thing. But that seems almost like a hail mary pass when the MCU stops raking in the bucks.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    watched the girl with all the gifts last night, the golden era's back, baby

Rylo Ken likes this.
  8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    take your anti-yodel propaganda outtahere

9. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Hopefully the decline of the zombie movie is a harbinger of the actual zombie apocalypse.

Then I can stop pretending to do the job that I've pretty much automated and smash some skulls instead :)

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    And apparently Resident Evil 7 is pretty good.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    can't wait. Is it that good?

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    OMG. You lost your virginity at a Cranberries concert! I did not need to know that, Ste.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  13. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    what's in your head, Diggy, in your heeeeeaaaaddd?

Healer_Leona and Diggy like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Remember the WW1 German zombies in Sucker Punch? That was the most interesting scene in a really awful film. The only movie I've ever really enjoyed that had anything like zombies was the first Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Do undead skeletons count as zombies?

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I keep reading it as "Girl With All the Gits" for some reason.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Zoombies will save us.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Eh, sketchy. It really varies. But since they looked and acted normal most of the time in that series, I'd say no. Skeleton zombies are more in line with Romero's work, or are Deadites in "Army Of Darkness".

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    the girl (with all the gifts) is very good, as is the rest of the cast. It's well worth a viewing.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    In my case, it was over when the Dawn of the Dead remake came out. :D

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The Santa Clara Diet - a brand new Netlix original series brings the dialogue aesthetics of "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" to the open world of Fear the Walking Dead. This zomromcom can eat my shlong - it's worse than it sounds.

BigAl6ft6, Diggy and Darth Punk like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    nomnomnom

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think they need to step away from the typical zombie horror, like izombie is a good zombie show, the new netflix show santa clarita diet is a refreshing take on the genre, and the book zombie blondes by brian james is as well but as far as the typical normal zombie thing its way over played out and done.

23. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    I only really like the first three Romero films, Plague of the Zombies, Zombi 2, Living Dead at Manchester Morgue, Shaun of the Dead and Braindead. Otherwise Zombie films just don't do anything for me.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Walking Dead entered the age of post-apocalyptic geopolitics last night, and I really liked it. It also featured one of the show's most interesting f/x sequences ever.

Who would have thought that Daryl's first post as a leader
    of the Rebel Alliance would be Alexandria's ambassador to the Kingdom.

Also, I finished Santa Clarita Diet, and it's really not as bad as I thought after episode 1. It has its own mythology distinct from any other zombie entertainment I've ever seen, and the writing was sometimes borderline clever. Mostly not though.

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Here Alone - a reasonable low budget character piece that happens to be set in a zombie apocalypse. I'm not sure it treads any ground not covered by your average filler episode of The Walking Dead. Survivalist love triangles? The dangers of scavenging? Trying to figure out which humans to trust? Coping with the loss of loved ones? The zombies are mostly unseen, which begs the question: what's the point? The Road is better, bleaker, but also ultimately more hopeful. I personally don't mind wallowing in despair, but I'd question its viability as a sub-genre. Works for me, though.

This thing made it into last year's Tribeca film festival. It's amusing that indie cinema and the festival circuit have these arty little zombie flicks now.