Salisb, NC "The Golden Compass" - and all that hype.... Don't believe it!

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by RipRoar, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, J and I just saw the movie and it was GREAT! The critics were so wrong on this one! Very much like a cross between the LOTR's and NARNIA! There are critics out there that DON'T want kids to see this and are calling for a BAN because the author of the trilogy of books is agnostic at best if not outright atheist and attacks the corruption of church via this series. The people calling for this ban are the same ones who swear that Harry Potter will make your children witches and warlocks. Many feel the same way about Star Wars but some seem ok with those movies but not the others.... strange thinking there! When we fear something that we have not even read or watched for ourselves we let a corrupted ignorance win! I chose to take J to see it and judge for ourselves - Both Harry Potter and this new movie. I am glad I did - the GOLDEN COMPASS was a great movie and I look forward to a sequel if it gets made. In fact I will go out and get the original book and judge for myself the merits of the story verus all the hype (AND WEIGH AGAINST MY EVER STRONG FAITH - my mind can tell the difference between fact and fiction/fantasy story telling for entertainment). And yes, I understand that a lot of the political back story was cut out to make the story more pleasing to a general audience.

I would not let little kids see this movie however, it was violent at times during the fight scenes - the two armored bears squaring off - wow and the jaw.... Anyway - not for little ones.

If only I had a Golden Compass to see what truths are realy out there among you!
  2. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    We also saw "Enchanted" with the whole family! Where are the critics here - there are witches, dragons, magic, animals that speak, attempted murder and a woman who goes on a "Date" with someone other than her one true love....

Anyway - this actually was a funny movie and great for the little ones to see - Sarah LOVED IT!
  3. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, And J and I are going to start a book club kind of reading for this series [The Golden Compass] - want join in. Figure we can discuss as we read on...
  4. Darth_Phanax Jedi Master

star 1
    Yeah it'll be lots of fun!
  5. star0258 Jedi Knight

this may be too late to post, but oh well. I have a free ticket to see "the golden compass" not restricted to a certain date or theater if anyone is interested in seeing it (again?) It came free with a movie I bought about a week ago. Anyway, let me know! I'll be back into town tomorrow night (tuesday) at the earliest.
  6. SmashVadersFist Jedi Knight

Critics are people not talented enough to do anything else so they wine and complain about those who do. I almost always go see movies that get bad reviews and most of the time end up liking them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.