main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The Golden Compass

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lozza, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Well thought I may as well start this... It's less than a week till the movie comes out, I know a lot of you are up for it but we may as well discuss our options.

Things to remember -
    It's summer
    It's boxing day
    It's the start of summer sales
    It's school holidays

2. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Its a trap!

3. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Yep, definately is :p

4. o__O

o__O Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2007
    THIS MOVIE WILL TURN YOU AWAY FROM CHRIST!!11eleven

5. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Its a trap!

HAN WILL HAVE THAT SHIELD DOWN, WE GOTTA GIVE HIM MORE TIME!

Ahem.

I really want to see this movie, and I'll be up for whatever the group wants to do, but if we're going on boxing day (which would be nice, since I'm leaving for Melbourne 2 days later), there will have to be an element of Every Man For Himself. People will need to get their own tickets, and show up with plenty of time to spare. Effort can be made to save seats, but only to a point. If we have to frak around like we have the last few times we've gone to the movies as a group, waiting for stragglers etc., we're all going to die in the boxing day movie stampede. So I'll be there, but I'll be there early and I'll be looking out for number one. :p

6. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Don't worry, Chewie and I broke into a lot of places more heavily guarded than this...

So point of attack, Southbank or Victoria Point?

Remind me to bring the e-mail a God-fearing gent sent me about the evils of this film :p

I'll also point out to the relevant parties that we have a Damned Voyage to partake in on Boxing Day too :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

7. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, then we go to a Compass screening in the morning, adjourn to the house of someone with a fast connection to the internets in the early afternoon, and partake in a detailed description of Doctor Who by evening. Now that, surely, is the spirit of Christmas.

8. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    You know what the funny thing is? What turns me away from Christ is Christians. Ironic.

I vote a hearty yes to the morning Compass viewing followed by Doctor Who.

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    IRONIC.

His Dark Materials is not really anti-Christian so much as it is anti-church. There's a very crucial difference there. It's very vehemently against organised religion, especially the corruption and blind dogma that so often follow it, the institutionalised and enforced lack of ability to think for one's self and believe anything other than what's been drilled into you. It's been a while (too long, honestly) since I've read the books, but my recollection is that they have a very humanistic bent to them, and so far as religion and belief is concerned they heavily stress the idea of individual freedom. There's a crazy amount of Christian symbology, especially in the final book, but in a way that's neither here nor there.

Bah, need to go buy my own copies of those books so I can read them again. I do a lot of my 'reading' these days via Audible.com, but some sort of idiotic licensing restriction prevents them from selling the audiobook version of the series (narrated by Phillip Pullman himself) in Australia. Grrrrrr.

10. o__O

o__O Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2007
    I am up for whenever, and good idea about everyone getting their own ticket and no holding seats etc.

I finished the Subtle Knife only a few days ago, and I agree, the books do not really promote an agenda.

Like in all situations where people call for the banning of a movie/book, the critics have not actually read the books themselves, or even seem to know very much about them in fact. If there is such a thing as an ideological slant in them, its that life is precious, and freedom to act/think is a good thing.

Fortunately it seems to be a loonatic fringe as usual that is rallying against this, not the mainstream.

11. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It's definitely a lunatic fringe who hasn't read the books. Then again, wait till you've read the Amber Spyglass before you claim there's a complete lack of agenda. :p There's a sequence right at the end, and you people who have read it all know the one I'm talking about, which gives a very firm opinion on certain aspects christian/catholic dogma. But again, it's anti-church, not anti-religion, and perhaps it's people who don't understand that distinction who have a problem with the whole thing.

12. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I'll be working 2-10 that day.

13. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    You up for the Golden Compass though Goobs? Didn't think you wanted to see it.

Might still be up the coast from Christmas Day but if you're doing this in the am..can be back for it.

Honestly, in complete agreement with Tim. Lets pick a session somewhere, all buy tickets online ourselves, and get there an hour before the film starts, get snacks to sit with in the air conditioned lineup, and anyone who's not in line gets their own seats. Harsh but very relaxed..and goodness knows some of us don't deal well with stress of crowds, waiting for people, saving seats..yada yada yada. anyway.

YEY GOLDEN COMPASS!

14. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Session times at southbank/vic point, should be up today.

Oddly enough session are up only till the 24th... Not really sure why, they SHOULD have session up till the 26th...

15. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Darn, really wanted to see this!! We don't get back from Sydney til the 28 (and then I'm working the next day) so we won't be able to join you.

But we'll probably wait until after the rush has happened and see it after we get back! So anyone up for a second viewing, you're welcome to join us.

NO SPOILERS!!!

16. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well I'll be up for a 2nd viewing :)

17. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Should I obtain copies of the books and read at least the first before seeing this? I've got to go book shopping anyway today...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

18. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Couldn't really say. I'd suggest obtaining copies regardless, they're really really good. Read them before the movie, after, during, it's all good.

19. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    We have times:

Southbank
    Wed 26th 9:25AM 12:00PM* 2:15PM 7:30PM 9:55PM

Vic Point
    Wed 26th 1:15PM 6:35PM

For the record, I'm happy with anything.

20. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Midday on the big screen at Southbank would rock, but obviously that's going to be packed to the point of insanity. How do people feel about getting up early to go to the 9:25? I can manage that. Would honestly prefer a screening sometime in between 9 and 12, but oh well. Thinking it over, I'll probably say 12 is my preference, crowds or no, but I'm easy.

21. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    It won't be easy, but I can do the morning showing.

22. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Morning will be as busy as midday I think... Remember the rabid women will be dumping their kiddies there to go to sales... Only thing the morning session is likely to avoid is family groups. Anyhow, I'm willing to do any of the above so I'm happy with what the majority vote on.

23. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, that's a fair point. Might as well go for the cinema 5 screening at midday, then. Pencil that in?

EDIT: Oh look, the Vatican has released a frothing tirade damning the film. It almost makes me want to see it more.

24. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    I have found over the last few years that the very first showing in the morning of any block buster film is not too crowded. At least that was the case at the Chermside cinema's. Thus I would suggest the very first showing if you want to avoid the bigger crowds.

25. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Yes, when will they learn that people only want more what they aren't allowed to have? It's that "curiosity" thing :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.