FF:QLD The Golden Compass

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lozza, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Its been historically proven that the only movies I will go to see before 10 am involve the words "Batman" or "Superman" in the title or plot synopsis, so my vote's for midday.

Besides, I want to do some sales shopping myself :p

I'd also put in a preference for Victoria Point, but I understand it's a hard trek requiring many sherpas for most of you to come down here, so Southbank is fine.

EDIT: Also read that article; could someone get the Vatican a decent PR contract for Christmas?? Jeez...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  2. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Long trek is right. I mightn't mind, but my car is still feeling a little touch and go, so I'm trying to minimise unnecessary driving, especially over large distances. So I'd much prefer taking a train into Southbank. I will, however, bend to the whims of the masses.
  3. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes... As much as I love cavorting all the way to Mt Doom and back in the name of good times, my team of sherpas would rather an easier run this time around and would prefer to go to Southbank. Will go where ever though.
  4. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, does midday at SB suit everyone???
    I want to have my tickets ordered by lunch today.
  5. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok since no one has objected outright, noon session it is.

EDIT - I've tickets for BBN, Morgs, and myself, 12 Southbank. Whether the rest of you come it up to you.
  7. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yep, midday SB. I'm there.
  8. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
  9. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Midday at SB soudns fine..will buy ticket now. And Lozza.you jsut broke your rule about everyone for themselves! LOL I reckon you an trust BBN and Morgs.

Will be there at 11ish!
  10. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Sorry Midday no can do. Oh well. :(
  11. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
  12. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    ... It wasn't my rule... I believe it was BBN's. I offered to buy for the people who always turn up (reasonably) ontime.
  13. General Cargin Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to find out what shift, if any, I'm rostered for on Boxing Day. I'm a sucker for double time - almost anything goes as far as I'm concerned when they're paying $30 an hour.

I'll get back to you when I find out.
  14. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Well that cuts me out of the equation :p

Never say that to the police :p

I may see this down my way instead, then meet up with you all later on in line with BBN's earlier suggestion.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  15. o__O Jedi Knight

star 3
    I bought my ticket this morning
  16. o__O Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'll be there just before 11, based of past experience that might be a good time to start lining up.

See you there!
  17. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Well Kiddies I can't go as I have way to much to do. You all have fun though.
  18. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I really liked it. Epic, thoughtful, gorgeous created worlds. Good fantasy, and no no dragons CJ.

Every prop and transportation vehicle was exquisite. I aleady wnt my own compass and one of those bike carriage thingies. Lozza promises zeppelins.

Haven't read the books and was sort of glad as I walked in with no knowledge of the story and enjoyed it. Some of the characters were great, some were too sterotypical even for a childrens film. The themes were evident and perhaps validly contentious, although how many childrens/classic fantasy stories are about children fighting against an evil oppressor. Lots.

I just thought it was pretty, and cute, and detailed enough to draw me in and scary enough to not let the munchkin see it for a good while yet.

I'll see it again mainly becasue I thought it was beautiful, one of the main reasons I loved the first Narnia film too, and one of the things I do LOVE about actually seeing those sort of movies at the cinema.

19. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Darth_Aranel Jedi Knight

star 1
    judging by everyones reviews/opinions, i must be the only one that absolutely hated this movie. Although the visuals were fantastic, i feel many aspects of this movie would just not allow me to enjoy it on any level. Count Dooku, i mean Saruman, i mean generic bad priest extra #5 to me just looked ridiculous. It felt like he was just shoved into the movie to give it that "we have Christopher Lee so we are epic!" feel. On the other hand, i had no problem with Sir Ian playing a very cool, angry bear, or that he is angry enough to knock someones jaw clean off his head but did they really HAVE to cross Khazad-dum bridge again?

I think it's also important to stress very highly this movie is NOT anti-Christian, but anti-organized religion, more so the corruption and drunken abuse of power that sometimes happens with these things. To quote another famous evil man, "all those who gain power, are afraid to lose it." BBN is right to defend the film in this way, because as sad as it is, organized religion for the most part works against it's followers, not for them. I still call myself a Christian, but cannot bring myself to be part of a church simply because of it's insistence on me either throwing all my money at them, telling me i'm a horrible sinner so i will burn in hell, or that i spend two and a half hours on m feet singing along with ludicrous worship songs. Until i find a church that i believe i can learn and grow from, i won't be back to "organised religion"

I'm sorry to anyone that enjoyed this, but i don't see myself sitting through it again, or any of it's sequels. I also asked not to be lynched for my negative view of this movie by its many fans, rather that it be taken into consideration that there are people that did not like it.
  21. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Lynches DA ;)

No lynching around here. Each to their own. Sorry you didn't like it though.
  22. o__O Jedi Knight

star 3
    having read and enjoyed the book I had fairly high hopes. Visually it was great, as everyone seems to agree on. But, the story could have been adapted better for the screen. It was definitely far less darker than the book, probably due to the producers wanting to target this at kids and get a PG rating everywhere. But judging by, for example, the Harry potter films, I think that kids should be able to handle some of the darker elements.

The acting was brilliant by everyone, Nicole Kidman was chilling and extremely sexy in equal amounts :)

Overall I give it 7/10.
  23. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes no lynching. I'm glad to say that the likelyhood of one of us piping up and saying "OMG Ur Oppion sux soo much lols" has at least O.OOOOO1% chance of happening.

I really enjoyed it - but then I try to go into movies without expectations and try to not take the movie seriously (because the opposite leads occasionally leads to dissatisfaction and that's just annoying).

Everything looked great of course - the magisterium was a moustache twirling villians conference, but that didn't bother me in the slighest - I thought it silly and probably giggled. Derek Jacobi was right where he should have been, although Christopher Lee did seem a bit weird. His own stage presence kind overpowers such a small role. I loved Mr Jacobi though because his general evilness stemmed from him looking so sincere and well-meaning about the heinous act of removing the souls of little children. It was down right creepy.

It was a Khazad-Dum bridge? I just figured it was a regular old rickety bridge, that just happened to be made of ice. Tonnes of movies, books, comics, etc have em. *shrug* Spose it could have been though.

The spontaneous jaw removal did surprise me... Organised Religion is annoying DA. Tiresome. I haven't come across a church yet that didn't have its own degenerative disease slowly eroding its infrastructure from within.

I was kinda disappointed that Mrs Coulter ended up being Lyra's mother. I went to make the Vader joke and realised that, "Oh my God, she actually is." *facepalm* I mean, it was executed in an alright manner, it was just annoying. Though it did lead into a nice chorus of, "That's not true! That's impossible!" :p
  24. o__O Jedi Knight

star 3
    With regard to Lyra's disocvery of the identity of her mother, it was much different in the book, where it was Ma Costa who told her. They so went for the Empire Strikes Back effect with this film :p

When Lyra crossed the ice bridge and Iorek was stuck on the other side I so wanted t say "YOU CAN NOT PASS!" in the cinema :p
  25. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    Still not entirely sure why you didn't like it DA. Liking or not liking something is never a lynching offense though, so never worry about that.

I did enjoy this film, more so than The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe which left me kind of hollow at the end. There were some elements though that did have me wondering what exactly they were playing at.

Christopher Lee's involvement was certainly one of those moments. "How do we prove our council is evil?" was obviously the question asked for that scene. I'm surprised they didn't get Ian McDiarmid involved as well :p Apparently the character he plays is more important later on.

Now of course, the problem is will Christopher Lee last that long? He is an old man; healthy, yes, but he has no illusions about his own mortality. He publically stated that he hoped he'd last long enough only to see The Lord of the Rings films, which he's done. Maybe he extended the deal to include The Hobbit films which are now in development? :p

The scene of parental reveal did not play out like it should have sadly; its far too open to parody.

Plot holes a-go-go; I've wasted all this time to get my bear friend onto the throne of his people, then I don't use his army to help me out afterwards?? Sure, flying witches and gun-toting gypsies with cowboy air-support is fine in a pinch, but if I want to wipe out a dread army of cossacks and their wolf familiars, bring on the bears!!

The ice bridge...why didn't they just go around? I could see the end of the gorge in one shot!!

Letting the heroine wander off so much by herself. Spunky, yes, but hardly a ninja. Its amazing she survives really outside of having "protaganist aura".

The really soft focus on Nicole Kidman in the banquet scene. I get that she's meant to be gorgeous, but its jarring when they cut across to the Master of Jordan College, who's obviously no where near as radiant from a camera perspective :p

That whole Trollesund section reeks of adventure game plotting. Scoresby tells the player/Lyra that to head further north, she must hire a cowboy dirigible pilot, and hire a polar bear protector. The polar bear protector will only help once he has his armour...you see what I mean.

Finally, this film was less anti-establishment than I thought it'd be. I wanted a subversive family film, what I got was fairly weak tea. V for Vendetta is still the most subversive mainstream film currently in my mind.

Anyway, what I liked; the lead actress is good. Though I have to wonder at the rash of naming kids "Dakota" nearly a decade back now.

Nicole Kidman is gorgeous and evil; she doesn't really have much to do, but she does it well. I assume given the way we don't see her face at the end of the film she'll be somewhat scarred in the next one.

Ian McKellan as the Hard-drinkin' Polar Bear Paladin is fantastic. The fight scene between the bears is great; I'd like to think it settled some bet between Ian McShane and McKellan.

Sure, Sam Elliott only ever plays one character anymore, but Lee Scoresby is the awesome cowboy grandpa you never even knew you always wanted.

I could watch Eva Green fly around all day, even if I can't say her name properly.

The CGI was gorgeous; the daemons were great; you just stop noticing they aren't real. The world is well realised too, if somewhat briefly.

If anything, while I look forward to the sequel (and will read the books beforehand), this film makes me really want to see a live action Fullmetal Alchemist film. The design work is just similar enough.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.