main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cincin, OH The Good News, The Bad News

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Lady_Lucas, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I thought this would be a good thread to start. The basic idea is for all of us to keep up on each others life and what is going on. For example I would say this good thing happened to me lately....or this bad thing happened to me lately.
    I'll start...

Good stuff: Ludo and I went to a beautiful exposition at the Museum Center Saturday evening called "St. Peter and the Vatican." It was awesome to see all the old relics from the church. There were many relics there that date over 1500 years. It was an awesome display. :)

2. Exalted_1

Exalted_1 Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    cool!

Good-

The Order of Kai Kan just got a Florida Chapter!
    A woman from the Jedi Assembly agreed to join our group at Celebration III. She knows of 5 people in her area that would be very interested in starting a group down there.

Kinda good-

The Great Basement Cleanup will start its negotiating phase in a week. After the logistics are worked out, The Cleanup will commence. After that, Project Aayla...

I just love Family Politics... :(

Bad-

Still shorthanded for our chapter of The Order of Kai Kan. Lucasfilm has definatley not told us no yet. And Volunteering for Conventions is like having a backstage pass. No lines, No waiting, and usually first dibs at exclusive items. You actually do work a couple of hours a day, and the rest of the day is yours. Anyway, I think it's much more fun being a part of something rather than just saying, "I was there." There are also more side benefits that I haven't even talked about.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program...

3. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    find out what the word is and i should be able
    to let you know

4. Robert-A-Fett

Robert-A-Fett Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    My car is sitting in the repair shop. 361.00 for brakes. Didnt think I'd be able to pay rent and bills this month anyway, this is one more thing I need.

5. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    LFL won't be doing any Volunteer scheduling until the end of the summer. I personally would like to know before then so if they ask, I can give them an exact numbers and names.

6. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Well, for starters, I have just started dating this wonderful woman named Tanya. She is a school teacher at a Christian school in Harrison.We have been dating for about a month now. Other than that, no new developments yet, but some are soon to be.

7. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Lucasfilm has definatley not told us no yet. And Volunteering for Conventions is like having a backstage pass. No lines, No waiting, and usually first dibs at exclusive items. You actually do work a couple of hours a day, and the rest of the day is yours. Anyway, I think it's much more fun being a part of something rather than just saying, "I was there." There are also more side benefits that I haven't even talked about.

Bad news...you are wrong. Have you ever volunteered at a con before?

You will work 4 to 6 hours day. You do not set your schedule it is set for you most of the time. You still have to buy your badges.

More bad news...

Most cons go to the local groups and 501st/RL for volunteers first before they open it up to others.

8. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    Clebration III homepage

Gencon volunteer information

These are the people running Celebration III. and from what I know of those who volunteer at Conventions, they tend to use the same format for every convention they run.

And when I said LFL haven't said no, I meant to the show we intend to put on at C3.

9. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    I think I know what I am talking about since I have worked with LFL and GenConLLC.

Small local hotel cons are one thing but we are talking C3. Not trying to dash your hopes but there were a few other gorups wanting to do demos at C2 and they were flat out told no.

While I can appreciate your enthusisam there is a liability factor that goes along with the demo you are wanting to do.

Consider this:

What if you are doing a demo and someone gets hurt who is liable?

It could be someone from your group or someone in the crowd. Who will pay medical expenses?

10. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    I'm not saying you don't. I'm just going with what info is available to me.

We're not throwing blades into the audience. and the moves we show others would not be extensive enough to hurt people. I mean, we also plan this for kids as well as adults.

Fun with disclaimers and waivers. Waivers for us, Disclaimers for the audience. You know, "do not try this at home..." or "you do this at your own risk..." Also having a safe distance from the audience is high on our precausion list. Safety is our first priority.

By the way, check out the Order of Kai Kan thread. It has an in-depth description of the group.

Any info you have reguarding Convention Volunteering would be most welcome.

11. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    If it is any consolation, I gave up a load of volunteer time at C2 working the FanForce booth. I got a neat badge that said VIP and what-not, but unfortunately it didn't get me past any lines. :(

Basically, bragging rights is about all the special treatment you'll receive from volunteering around C3. ;)

12. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    From what I understand it was the Indy Knights who really made CII as good as it was. It was their input along with the 501st (as far as Indy goes it's alot of the same people, correct me if i'm wrong Ron) Ron know's alot about what he's talking about. At the same time, Exalted-1 has gotten some sort of response other than a flat out "no" so there is hope...and I wish you and OKK the best of luck and MTFBWY

13. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    Exactly.

14. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Good news is... I'M BACK HOME!! :)
    Bad news is... I'll have to agree with Incom4....

15. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    Just FYI...

I am the incredible shrinking Hutt!
    Earlier this Year I was pushing 350 pounds...

As of today, I am 325 pounds! Just in the past week alone, I lost 4 pounds...

At this rate, I'll literally be half the Man I am in about 10 months. I won't need to though...

16. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    Congrats! I've lost about 100lbs since Feb '03...I was somewhere over 300 probably in the 320 range, I'm down to 220 and I've put on muscle in the process so I've really lost more fat than just 100lbs (just lol)

Keep up the good work!

17. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Congrats! I weigh 110 lbs and have kept it that way even into my mid 20's! :)

18. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    The good news, we are back from vacation and had a great time, the bad news; back to work today :_|

19. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    The Good News: You guys are back!!
    The Bad News: No more sugar since you are back...
    o_O...
    however you can eat this instead: [face_cow]

20. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
  21. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Well, the good news is I got a summer job. I'm working at a drive-in restaurant. I'm working fountain, which means that I pour drinks, make milkshakes/ice cream sundaes and prepare salads. I had my first day yesterday and I liked it a lot. My bosses were very impressed that I'd studied my code sheet and knew what I was doing. The bad news is that my dad told me that I'm only allowed to keep about 15-20% of what I make. The rest goes in the bank.

22. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    sounds like a good plan...

23. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Yup, that's one good dad!!

24. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    More bad news for Candace, I know where this place she's working at is. [face_devil]

But, I agree with her dad, she should try to save up her money. Otherwise she'd just spend it on Star Wars and Buffy the Vampire Slayer stuff. ;)

25. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Hi DonC and Candace! I missed you guys posting! Glad to see you on this board again! [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.