main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY The Great Canon Debate

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Cungr_Vanck, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cungr_Vanck

Cungr_Vanck Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2008
    This topic came up a couple times last night and I wanted to brave bringing it up on the boards.

During the show last night, I made the comment that a lot of stuff was canon until Clone Wars came out. That is both false and true. The only real canon has always been the movies and everything else was behind that unless specifically stated as "This is not canon" aka Star Wars Infinities and such. But, over the decades these secondary sources (books, comics, games and such) were respected and thought of as canon by most fans. Hence why they were almost always incorporated or referenced in other stories. They were always considered legitimate Star Wars lore.

However, now that the Clone Wars is on TV, a new level of canon it making major changes. It has rendered the Karen Travis Republic Commando series effectively null and void. Apparently, they are also now rewriting the story of Ventress if what the CV attendees are reporting is true. Add in George Lucas' comments on Durge not showing up in the new series, the changes to Ryloth, and reappearance of characters that were said to have been killed, and oh there is that little change of Ahsoka! At this rate, they will have essentially rewritten the entire Clone Wars era in Star Wars within the next couple years.

A little retcon now and then is a good thing in my opinion, but this is opening up one large barrel of monkeys. With George Lucas essentially saying that the movies and the tv show are the only real canon, what will be next on the hit list? If they ever do decide to do something Post-Return of the Jedi as a show or mini movie, are they going to render the Thrawn Trilogy as non canon? Or how about the Rogue and Wraith squadron novels? Are the characters of Mara Jade, Pellaeon, Thrawn, Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn, and others potentially on the chopping block at any moment? There is also the potential of rewriting the entire New Jedi Order series. As these are some of my personal favorite stories/memories of Star Wars, I find this disconcerting.

What are your thoughts on this? I bring this up as I fully believe that once the Clone Wars cartoon has run its course that they will do another series or some direct to video movies. They are not going to just let all that hardware, software, and CG models be destroyed after all! Especially if there is money to be made.

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Hmmmm. Interesting topic, and you sir make some excellent points. Before I respond (as a matter of discourse) let?s start with some grounding.

We are all big Star Wars nerds, with our own opinion. The fact that Dar doesn?t like the show and I love it doesn?t mean he is a bigger Star Wars nerd than I (and vice versa).

We also all agree on 99.9% of all things Star Wars. That too, shouldn?t be overlooked. Cungr and I will disagree on some key points regarding Lucasfilm Licensing, 11 and I disagree on everything (just on principle), but in the grand scheme of the GFFA we are more alike this dissimilar.

Finally: This conversation is ?in the family.? I expect (hope) this to get real intense; as we are all going to be discussing a topic for which we have a true love and commitment (both time and financial). This is not unlike a good ol family dinner argument. But, just like a family?we defend each other from all external threats. If a Trekkie shows up?I will defend the timelessness of The Glove of Darth Vader with my dying breath.

Jammies

3. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Cungr,

Well, what then is ?canon?? That issue alone is too broad. I prefer ?what is continuity??I think that is a better paradigm in which to view this and any other conflicting Star Wars story.

Canon has a nasty connotation. After all, it is a religious term?used almost 2000 years ago to explain what is, and what is not, the word of God. Anyone who disagreed tended to get burned at the stake. So, when we use such a loaded phrase to describe the chronicle of events of a fictional universe?I think we can get unduly carried away. Look up ?Star Wars Canon? in the Wook or a Wiki, and one can see a level system of canon; with the films and film-spin offs first, the tv shows second, the bulk of the EU third, and everything else fourth. I think fans get confused by this, as ?G-Level? and ?T-level? were only meant to be an in-house system of reference by LeLand and Pablo. We fans can get our collective granny panties in a bunch when we feel our favorite star wars yarn is relegated to N-level when in trueth, that doesn?t really mean anything outside of an internal database (I heart you 1987 Great Heap cartoon).

Wars is the only sci-fi franchise I am aware of (well, the first anyway) to intentionally make all of its spin off material cohesive. The early WEG sourcebooks (the building blocks of the EU in my opinion) are evident of this. The forward from G Lucas in the first edition of Heir to The Empire states this as well. Anything with the Star Wars logo is canon, from trading cards to video games,* as the point is to make on big sweeping cohesive universe from just (then) three narratively narrowed films. (*The plot and story of most video games are canon, just not the game mechanics. I killed Vader in the NES version of Empire but that isn?t canon?nor is my cheat code that lets me fly in an At-St in Dark Forces canon. However, the events of dark forces is part of the greater continuity.)

So, with that said?where does this conversation go? Like late-night evangelists who preach that every word in the judio-christian bible is true and unfailable on television to a college educated fanboy who understands how physics works?what are we to do with this information? If the films and the novels of the films are G-level, then how can Owen Lars both be Obi?s brother and Ani?s step-brother? How can Vader be both in his 70s and in his 40s when he dies on the Death Star 2? How can the Princess remember her mother, her real mother, if Padme dies soon after giving birth?

And that is my point. Canon breaks down anytime you try to deconstruct it, so don?t. In 30 years or so of Star Wars we have never had one author construct every item of lore. Unlike that preacher?s world view, we do not have one all knowing person telling us the events of this universe: we have had dozens of very creative people try to construct fictitious events for our enjoyment and our money. As previously stated; canon is a religious term and Star Wars is not a religion?it is a modern myth. And just like a myth, we have different interpretations of the same event. Apollo is either the Sun God or the father of Helios the sun god. Boba Fett is a journeyman proctor named Jaster Mareel or he is a clone of Jango. ?The Darkside Clouds Everything!? If we do not have one true star wars storyteller, then we can just peek into the GFFA through the clouds. The fog of an unreliable narrator, the fog of too many authors, the fog of too much product. The fog of the Dark Side.

I?m going to close soon, my lunch break is done. When I post again, it will be to discuss continuity. I think I made my point about canon. Ion Cannons though?are cool as sith.

MTFBWY
    Jammies

4. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    *stands up in the pew, waving one hand* AMEN BROTHER!!!! HALLELUJAH! PREACH IT BROTHER!!!

okay, now that that is out of my system, i agree with jammies. ( yes, i know, i was shocked too) This is a modern myth, it was intended to be a modern myth, Lucas borrowed ideas and themes from old myths and used them to tell his own myth. Star Wars is a modern version of the old wise man sitting around a fire telling a tale to the others so that they learn something form it, or at least from the way it was told. Like jammies said, myths change. I personally know of 13 different versions of the 12 trials of Hercules, and about 20 versions about the binding of Fenris the wolf. That's the beautiful part about a myth or even just a story. Each time it is retold, each time a different person sings the ballad, each time the dance is started, it changes slightly. And it is that which takes a simple story, and makes it a myth, a classic.
    well, that's my $.02. We all have our opinions.

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Thanks Vox. I know of one telling of the story where Hurc has not 12 but 13 trials, including having to deflower all the virgins on the isle of Lesbos in one day.

Now that my feelings about canon, it?s ineffectiveness within the context of Star Wars to mean anything, and its lack of helpfulness in any meaningful dialogue, are known?let?s talk continuity.

Am I concerned about continuity in Star Wars? Absolutely! One reason I have stuck with the franchise, and bought every dang book, is that it is a truly comprehensive universe. Well, I should say an expanded universe. If it isn?t, why is their a wookiepedia, an official encyclopedia, an atlas, and even two full time employees to make it all fit? And I will be honest too, I have been kept up late at night fretting about continuity issues for a long time.

You see, this didn?t start with the clone wars cartoon (which I unabashedly love). Continuity flubs have been with us for a long time. Age, um, 13 maybe? The Dark Empire comic shown General Dodanna leading the charge against a resurgent Empire and teenage me throws a hissy fit to the comic book store owner. You see, readers saw Dodanna die in a Tie Bomber explosion on Yavin in the 80s newspaper strips. If he died, how can he be leading the fight 5 years after Endor? The comic book guy didn?t have an answer, and the internet didn?t exist: so I just pouted and then moved on. In the 90s, we didn?t have a lot of books?yet most of us think the 90s had some of the best star wars tales. In retrospect, reading the Bantam books and early Dark Horse comics according to the EU timeline, it all works. If, like I did, you read it in order of publication?it was full of these holes. Three solo kids, two solo kids, no solo kids?each new trilogy of books had to shoehorn a retcon to bridge the books that came before it with the books that came after it. Much later, Mike Stackpole tells us that Dodanna didn?t die. He was captured, and later freed by Rouge Squadron. So, what is true? That Dodanna lived, or that Tom Vietch never read the Archie Goodwin newspaper strips and editor Dave Land made a flub? Both.

?The Darkside Clouds Everything?

What then was a continuity flub (and in truth, is) proved to be fodder for a great story by Stackpole! That was just when I was 13. A lover of the Radio Dramas, I was excited to learn that the comic seris Empire would focus on Biggs Darklighter?s mutiny and joining of the Rebellion. The radio drama already told me what happened (Biggs, after the academy, becomes first mate on the spice freighter Rand Ecleptic and jumps ship). But it would be cool to see it. The issue came out, and I read it and again with the panic attack. Biggs a TIE fighter pilot? The Rand Ecleptic was a modified Aclimator? No Spice? The Dark Horse message boards were hot with Rand Stradly ruined the radio drama talk (incuding me). *In fairness, the radio drama and comic when using the same scene had the same dialogue in deference to the radio drama. Continuity dies then too.

?The Darkside Clouds Everything.?

Okay. So, I could go on with these, both how big a dork I am, and how many times the EU has seemingly imploded on itself. But, I picked these to highlight two key points, all under the thesis that the dark side clouds everything. With regards to Dodanna; what was for years a continuity flub, proved to be a great story arc in one of the best Star Wars series of stories ever. Readers who first pick up the books and comics would see it as one expansive story, not the piecemeal cherrypicking it really was. Or in other words, the Star Wars saga will always be incomplete. Between Yavin base?s destruction, and the Imperial Mutiny?Dodanna lived a life fans didn?t know about until Stackpole shared it with us. Well, guess what? Between the battle of Jiblim and the Outer Rim Seiges Anikan and Obiwan lived a life fans didn?t know about until Dave Faloni shared the clone wars with us. It is not that continuity is being over ridden as much as the cloud of the darkside is being swept away and we are getting more info about our favorite

6. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    thanks for the info grandpa jammies!!!!!!!!

7. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    First... I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! You are "all" my number ones!!

Hi there every one! Great thoughts to all.

And Cungr, I'm pleased that you brought this up. I"ve been thinking about the Clone Wars Cannon debate, and how it fits in with known story lines and such for a while now. And of late, our recent conversations the other night as well. I've read your thoughts here, and have been thinking about them for a couple of days. Here are my thoughts, perceptions, and a couple of questions about this new Star Wars series on the scene. Some of my thoughts on characters and things were not spoken of in your post here, but about are about things that were brought up during our conversations, or at other times when we've all been together.

In reference to your first observation, what you said there was absolutely true from my own perspective. The books, comics, etc.. played off of the movie cannon, one another, and became extended cannon themselves. If what I currently understand holds true, anything Uncle George approved, was considered Cannon. Not movie cannon of coarse, as movie cannon always had the honored spot on the shelf. >;~) But if it is Lucas Arts approved, it was Cannon of one sort or the other. AKA? EU Cannon. Is my understanding of the ins and outs of cannon and the subtleties of differences within it, pretty much correct?

On to the Clone Wars cartoon and it's affects on Cannon. As this is all taking place between "Attack Of The Clones" and "Revenge Of The Sith" era, these are my own observations of it all.

Observation #1) In the movie "Attack Of The Clones", I don't believe Anakin received a Knighthood. (I could sure be wrong there) ?.. But ?? by the time "Revenge Of The Sith" came out, it was obvious that he was minus a padawan braid. I've heard some people from all over, ask how Anakin could take a padawan in the Clone Wars cartoon, when he was still a padawan.

My feeling on that issue is this: Do we know exactly how much time passed between those movies? If enough time lapsed between them, it is entirely possible for Anakin to have been Knighted, and taken a padawan of his own. He "had" matured quite a bit between the two movies. From my perspective, Asoka is entirely possible, and I have no issue with her character.

That being said, it makes sense to me, that one of two things should happen in this Clone Wars series. Either Asoka is going to be killed, or she is going to be Knighted herself and move on. She obviously is a brand new character on the Star Wars scene, as she is not mentioned in "Revenge Of The Sith", nor as far as I know, within any other source.

My conclusion about Asoka: (These are only my opinions)
    Based upon the fact that Anakin has no padawan braid in "Revenge Of The Sith", Asoka does not affect the continuity so much. It is a stretch of coarse, but a doable one, that a lot of stuff could have happened between "Attack Of The Clones" and "Revenge Of The Sith". Now all of my conclusions about Anakin having a padawan of his own, are pending upon everything I have said above to be correct. I could be absolutely wrong on any of it.

The same can be said for Karen Travis's novels. As even tho, those story lines are dealing with things that were happening during the same time line, they are however, from the perspective of soldiers who were not even attached to any of our main characters lives? per-say. So I see no conflict with anything Karen wrote being nulled out. (Again, I could most definitely be missing something here).

I have a question concerning Ventress story line. Has there been anything written on her back story until now? I mean, where she was originally from? And what we now know of her, as opposed to what is going to be presented, could simply be construed as everything that she had let people know about her, was her Sithy Assassin self staying in the shadows, and not letting the galaxy know of her true origins. When you know of the true nature of the Sith, that would all make perfect sense. "Power In The Shadows" and all that. No one ever knows the true nor

8. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010

ummmm, I don't think late-night Cinemax movies about hurcules count.

9. Cungr_Vanck

Jul 7, 2008
    Completely agree with you here Jammies. I brought this up as a discussion and not as an argument. That and I kinda got on a (small) pedestal a bit about what is "canon" at the premiere. So I wanted to clarify what I was saying during the show. As you said, we all agree on the vast amount of everything in Star Wars. I will also help you defend The Glove of Darth Vader to a Trekkie...and then once that Trekkie is gone I will turn to you and then ask, "Are you mad?"

10. Cungr_Vanck

Jul 7, 2008
    Thanks to all those you have chimed in on this topic! A nice civilized conversation on a personal topic is a good and rare thing now adays.

After reading everyone's follow up posts, it struck me how each individual's personal knowledge defined how they looked at what is continuity. Jammies mentions the Radio Drama and details about Biggs as a place where continuity has a few bumps. However, for someone like me who has not listened to the radio drama, I was completely unaware that there was even a problem. I also read the Empire comics (loved them!) and it didn't raise even a blip on the radar that this was changing something. Also, when was it said that Owen Lars was Obi-wan's brother? I was in the dark that this was even written down.

On the flip side, you have Zannah asking about whether or not Ventress has a well defined back story. As I have been following the comics and books that covered the Clone Wars during the time the prequels were out, I am aware of her back story. (You can find it here Zannah http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ventress - well, at least the current version). Zannah is more flexible on changing the Ventress' story than I am as she might not have been aware of the pre-existing stories.

What this all boils down to is the viewer's "certain point of view." Each one of us has personal knowledge, history, and experiences that guide our viewpoint of the world. When it comes to Star Wars, it is the same thing. Jammies can tell a story about reading West End Games products while he was youngling at camp while I did not get into them until I was in my 30's. I can tell everyone stories about how my hands turned blue from the book binding on reading Heir to the Empire because I couldn't put it down when it first came out while some here might not have read it until recently. 11-11 has a happy childhood memory of reading and enjoying the Jedi Prince series while Jammies and I crack jokes on its quality. And who can forget Zannah's story about seeing Episode V? These experiences shape our own particular view on what Star Wars is and what it means to us. So when a new story comes out that changes "what happened," depending on your view of the topic in question, it could leave you shrugging your shoulders in indifference or bunching your internal organs up angst.

To elaborate further, let me discuss the modern myth concept that Vox brought up. He is 100% correct. GL used past myths, legends, folklore and such to create Star Wars as a modern mythology. Like the ancient stories, there can be many different ways of viewing the details of these stories. Both Jammies and Vox pointed to the Norse and Greco/Roman legends as perfect examples. So my brain understands what exactly is behind the Star Wars mythos. However, my heart tells me that there is a right story and a wrong story. This emotional connection explains why some can have some heated debates over what is canon and what is not in Star Wars. Each person's certain point of view clouds their judgement.

Now that thats out of the way...all I can say is that I want more Star Wars stories. I will gripe now and then about continuity, but for the most part I will move on with no issues. I will merely say that with a such a rich and vast universe such as Star Wars to write in, it shouldn't be that hard to write new stories that don't conflict with current ones. Example: Darth Maul apparently has a brother. While I might snicker at the name (couldn't they be more original?), there is no continuity being over written so I say go for it!

11. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks for everything spoken of here Cungr, and especially Ventress back story. I saved the link for future reference. Wow guys, this is exactly the kind of discussion on an impassioned Star Wars topic, which I would have expected from this group. Mature, Intelligent, Open, and Non-bigoted. A perfect example of this groups combined integrity and mutual respect, and the exact reason we get along so well. I cannot tell you how happy I am that we all found one another. [face_batting]

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm throwing another Rancor on this fire.

Sure, I defended both GL, the EU and the Clone Wars cartoon in very dilpomatic and well thought out posts above. But:

What is the deal with this season? Most of the episodes are prequels to season one, and then next week we jump ahead a year. So.... where did the middle go?

And Canon? Greedo shows up a few weeks ago. Now, in Tales of Mos Eisly Cantina and the web comic, he grew up on Rodia and was not that old during the clone wars. Hince, he was a young buck when he SHOT SECOND in Ep 4. Well, here he is in the clone wars. Which, according to TPTB a few years back, Greedo's dad was raised on Tatoine (he was in ep 1) and so it could be Greedo's dad in the Clone Wars only GL said it was Greedo from Ep 4 (making "young" Greedo 45 at his death).

And then there is the Tantive 4. It shows up in (one of my favs of the year) Supply Lines. Only, in the episode guide says it is the Sundred Heart. The guide also says it was the Sundred heart that was in Revenge of the Sith (even though EVERYTHING included GL commentary from the time the film came out says it was the Tantive 4). The issue, it seems, is that the CGI model is not compatible with the physical model used for Ep 4 (I could have told you that) but that discrepancy was explained a few years back with the "vanguard refit" Organa had undertaken to his ride after the Clone Wars.

So. Not only is part of the show overriding the EU, it is now starting to override the movies?
    Erg.

13. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, I'm trying to stay out of this debate. As an old comic buff continuity errors and ret-cons always send me into a nerd rage. As a big Han Solo fan the whole Greedo shot first thing really stuck in my craw and still does to this day.

I never really had a problem with the Tantive 4 thing. I always figured the senator?president?king? had more than one ride. Kinda like Air Force One and Two.

14. jedimaster91

jedimaster91 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    I probably should stay out of this debate as well, lest I turn into a seething ball of rage (watch me jump in anyway :p). Personally, I can't stand Ashoka and I hate the Clone Wars show. I saw the movie and when it opened sans the traditional opening crawl, I was...irked. I also feel it "kiddiefies" the War. Shatterpoint is how the War should be depicted. It's dark. It's brutal. It's War. It's Not For Kids. I'm all for introducing Star Wars to the next generation, but that's not Star Wars.

And as an EU fan since the age of 9, it pisses me off that the series is making certain books null and void (pacifist Mandos? Really?). Such is my main argument for never wanting George to make movies 7, 8, and 9. It would be a slap in the face to every author who has made the EU what it is.

Oh, and Greedo shot first. Period. ;)

15. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Greedo "did" shoot first. All anyone has to do, is to put the movie in, and stop the action on it. It's obvious. Even without stopping the action, you can plainly see the blaster fire coming from Greedos blaster first. Just sayin. [face_whistling]

16. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002

Funny, MY copy doesn't have that at all. [face_mischief]

17. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    Hmmmmmmmm. I'm beginning to think, that Lucas is having some fun with his fans. Is it possible, that "some" releases show Greedo shooting first, while other releases show the opposite?? I have a baaaaad feeling about this.

He is a genious ya know. And nothing keeps a humans interest like controversy. There is but one way to find out... we must put the movies in back to back, look at the scene in both, and we shall know once and for all if Uncle George has set us up for freindly bantar, all the while, keeping the interest up in his films.

He is a crafty one ya know.... as .... "He was right about us. He was right about us all along". [face_batting]

18. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    First:
    Zannah, we love you. A lot.

Second:
    Yes, actually he did. The "Han Shot First" meme is in regards to the 1997 Special Editions (also the ones on DVD in your living room) using CGI to "change" certain scences. One example is that of Han shooting Greedo. In the 1977 release (the orginal release, the one we saw in theaters) Han shoots Greedo before Greedo even gets a bead on Solo. In the 1997 release, this was changed using computers graphics to show Greedo shooting and missing, and Han shooting Greedo in self defence. Most of us (the star wars comunity) compalined vocally. So, for the most recent DVD release, Han Shoots a little quicker, but still second.

Thus, a lot of us say "Han shot first" to imply that GL needs to stop tinkering with our favorite movies.

Other tweeks relevent to this thread:
    Empire:
    GL filmed the actor who played Sidious/Palpy for the scene where Vader contacts Palps from his Star Desroyer to be added to the recent DVD edition. In the 82 edition, it was a composit photo of a monkey and an ILM cleaning lady. This also means that Clive Revill's speech was also cut out. GL re-wrote dialouge for Palpy to say for the DVD release. The old dialouge was quoted in Shadows of the Empire, so... is Xizor just hearing things now?
    Jedi:
    In 1984, the film had: ewoks singing Yub Yub in the end while an old Anikan (Sebashton Shaw) watches, Jabba's palace watching Sny Snootles sing "Lapti Nek", and Boba not flirting with a dancing girl. The Special Edition has: no ewoks singing, Hayden Christianson as a force ghost, a larger musical number in Jabba's palace called "Jedi Rocks, and your favorite: Boba flirting with the pink haired chick.

So, this is just and FYI my love. Incase you didn't know what we were typing about.
    man i can not spell today.
    best, Jammies

19. jedimaster91

jedimaster91 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    *headdesk* :oops: WTF, fingers? Why the frik did you type "Greedo". If I didn't so desparetly need you, I'd chop you all off for this disgrace.

What I meant to type was Han shot first.

There are parts of the SE that I like. And it may be blasphemous, but I kinda don't miss "Yub Yub." I like the other melody better.

If you need me, I'll be huddling in the corner over there. Watching Batman cartoons. Yay, Batman! =P~

20. LordZannah

Aug 18, 2010
    [:D] My Jammies, I simply [face_love] you too!! And WOW! [face_thinking] I know our Uncle George right enough! I knew about a lot of the changes that had been made, but it was my own little 8-} brain that put the Han and Greedo thing together. It was the only thing that made any sense.. as to why some people swear that Greedo shot, (like me) or that Han shot first.

I'm so glad to have that all cleared up... Its Uncle Georges fault! =D= He must get the biggest kick out of us sometimes! I know I do, and I'm not even the "MAKER"! [face_shhh] Thanks again my Jammies! [face_batting]

21. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002

22. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002

This has got to be the funniest thing I read all day! I really thought you were trying to be controversial with the whole Greedo shot first thing; and it all was a typo....LMAO!

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I heart you more Zannah. Say, (not to be all ?look at me?) check out my link in the costuming thread if you haven?t already. I thought you of all of us would get a kick out of it.

Twisty, you my Nerfhearder. You and Clive Revile. The son of Skywalker most not become a Jedi.

If you are fan of Irish literature like me, you will know that no two editions of James Joyce?s Ulysses is the same. I even have two copies of the same edition not be the same! He was so into his work, that he constantly changed the book. He even went to libraries and scribbled in new sentences. To his wife Nora he wrote: ?I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality.?
    (Note: Nora and James had the best first date ever)

I think Uncle George is like Joyce, he cannot stop messing with these movies, and I fully expect the BluRay?s to have prequel tweeks, like a CGI Yoda in Phantom Menace. Then, I bet the 3D releases will have further tweeks (beyond it being in 3D). And this didn?t just start in 97. Our first copy of A New Hope was recorded off of HBO by my Uncle for us boys. Then, we wore that out, and got the ?get it for the last time? (HA!) set on VHS. It was different! The ?open the blast doors open the blast doors? guy was different, little things like that.

The 77 release was just called Star Wars. It was a summer later that he went back and added ?Episode 4: A New Hope? as the subtitle.

To stay on topic (stay on topic), it is thus hard to create a true ?G-level canon paradigm? when he constantly tweeks these films.

Jammies

(imagine the end of Citizen Cane)
    Exterior: Snow:

Lucas, much older now, gasps for breath as he clutches his ipad3000. The Ipad with editing software loaded falls from his hands.

Lucas: Weequeys. Must make more?.. Weequeys. Uhhhggggg??.

Lucas collapses and the ipad drops from his hand, and is buried in the snow.

24. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    "imagine the end of Citizen Cane)
    Exterior: Snow:

Lucas, much older now, gasps for breath as he clutches his ipad3000. The Ipad with editing software loaded falls from his hands.

Lucas: Weequeys. Must make more?.. Weequeys. Uhhhggggg??.

Lucas collapses and the ipad drops from his hand, and is buried in the snow."

Rosebus Binks

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Rel, that's too funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.