1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (28th-30th November)

Oceania The Great Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by UmmYep, Mar 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    ahahahahahahahhhaahh SM, I was thinking the same thing.
  2. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    kahli, I think SM summed it up better than I did when he said, "Are you talking about the human species?
    We are definitely over due for a mass culling."

But I'm certainly not getting into a debate on morality and, not doubt, religion.

And Slavey, Dire Wolves have nothing on a Dire Lion, it's just the ordinary ones that would loose. :D

And to all of you who rant about cats not being contained might like to visit my house. For those of you who can't, my house backs onto a bush reserve. And we keep our cat on a leash outside. When it comes to keeping cats contained it's up to the "owner". It's not my fault that most people act like they've had a frontal lobotomy ("You cut his brain out!").
  3. slaveone_2 Force Ghost

star 5
    You get the Dire Wolves VS the Cat Warriors in Act II, and the Wolves come out as victors, always!
  4. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I will say that cats are better than dogs and here is my proof
    My aunt had a jack russell called Taffy (dont ask me why)

My aunt lives in thirlmere on a small property Taffy being the charming little thing she is within a very short space of time decimated the local bird life. She(taffy) had a habit of once she'd caught the bird (usually some kind of native bird) she would carry it around for days afterwards.

This is far worse than anything my evil cat/minion/master has ever done. My cat only went after indian miners and sometimes sparrows who would crap on our washing line anyways. Also he never carried the carcasses around for days afterwards he would take it to a corner of the yard and eat it there

btw taffy also never ate them either she just left them to rot.

and for the record I want a direwolf... I also want a pet balrog too but thats besides the point
  5. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yeah but it's not Taffy's fault; those birds were just too slow and wouldn't have survived long anyway :p
  6. Sith-Gecko Jedi Master

star 4
    Jack Russells were specifically bred to be hunting dogs, for pheasant and rabbitt. They're a very small proportion of the entire dog species, and don't legitimately provide a basis for an arguement about an entire species.
  7. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    geck I'll start on blue cattle dogs (not mine hes too fat) and kelpies in a sec both of which were worse than Pushy
  8. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    So, those widescreen TVs are pretty good, eh?

Come on, I'm bored of cats and dogs. Everybody knows the best pet is a Chia Pet.
  9. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Rats are better, I say. You keep them in a cage, so the only creatures they kill was that poor grasshopper that wandered in (don't ask, but boy neo thought he was it and a bit, running around with this huge insect in his mouth) and the occassional cockroach. Plus, if they get out, they are almost at the bottom of the food chain so you can safely assume that they will be eaten by something bigger while they are waiting for me to bring their food.

further more, fish are even easier to contain, and even further down the food chain.
  10. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually there is something I would like to discuss. Those NRL jumpers. the shiny ones. When did that happen? Okay, I admit I stopped watching the foota during the whole superleague fiasco. But I happened to sit down and watch a bit with dad on saturday, and I was like 'what is the deal with the shiny jumpers?' and he's like 'I think it makes it harder to get a good hold. At least, I hope it does'. It is just not on. If you want to look like you play soccer, go play soccer!!!

New topic: That the new rugby league team jumpers don't look like a float from the mardi gras.

Who wants the affirmative?
  11. Sith-Gecko Jedi Master

star 4
    Um, not a lot of people really know or even care about that issue ... so I don't think you've got a lot of opposition. Anyone who knows sports would probably be with you, and those that don't couldn't give a rat's arse.

How about ... "That relationships with people met online are legitimate."?
  12. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Hey! No queue jumping! :p

If it's time for a new topic, why not "Is Widescreen better than Pan & Scan?"
    I'll take the affirmative, anyone interested?
  13. Sith-Gecko Jedi Master

star 4
    Debates are usually phrased as positive statements, like "widescreen is better than Pan n' Scan."

And besides, everyone who knows their material properly knows that widescreen is better simply because you get to see the whole film, not a film re-edited with the sides cut off.
  14. S_2BU Jedi Knight

star 1
    well of course its better. what a stupid topic. this is just a silly thread in general. cats an dogs suck, widescreen is better than pan an scan. i have summerised everything said so far in 1 sentence : /
  15. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

I used to hate widescreen.

Why have a huge square tv screen if you're just going to use that tiny little mailbox?

Then I saw the SW Trilogy in widescreen.

And then they started playing ER in widescreen.

Now I'm hooked.

Everything just looks so much more natural in widescreen ratio. Wasted space be damned.
  16. Sith-Gecko Jedi Master

star 4
    Widescreen is the entire film in the original format it was filmed in. The way it was released at the cinema. The way it is intended to be.

Pan n' scan is the same film, but with the sides cut off, and with unneccessary cuts between actors for dialogue that usually was between two actors in the same frame, and unnatural pans between objects. There are also elements of the film missed - such as many cuts with Boba Fett in ANH.

Widescreen is better. There is absolutely no debate - any person with knowledge in the area knows so. People who think otherwise are ignorant of the original state of the film.
  17. slaveone_2 Force Ghost

star 5
    True, Widescreen is better, I own both a Widescreen and a Big TV, and size does matter.
    Horizontally anyway :p

And Gecko, you've got an odd signature...
  18. Sith-Gecko Jedi Master

star 4
    Eh, quote from the Penguin in Batman Returns ...
  19. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There's tonnes of reason's why widescreen is better compared to pan & scan, if you've ever seen Die Hard: Ultimate Edition dvd, there's a 20 minute doco explaining whre they actually used pan & scan in the vhs release, after watching that, with all the fancy sound effects in it (and the subwoofer level up to full,(man them helicopters sound great)) you can't look back.

If no one's going to oppose it, should we move on?
    There's tonnes of topics that you can use to bore your party guests with
    Such as:
    THX Ultra versus THX Select, which is better suited to the average consumer?
    Dolby Digital 5.1 versus Dolby Digital 6.1, Is the centre rear channel needed for today's movies?
    Digital Television, boom or bust?
    Lucas Licensing, out of control nutters or guys in the boxseat?
    The GST, is the federal government taking to much or our money?
    Cybernetics, will we eventually have fully replicable cyberarms, would you want one, or would you rather have a vat grown cloned arm?
    Telstra broadband, blood sucking leeches or total megalomaniacs?
    Microsoft, is the Xbox a smart move, or the death trap they don't need?
    Whatever happened to the golden days of aussie comedy?
    When you grow up, what's the first thing you intend to do? And why
    When you grow old, are you going to blame the decline of society on the young un's?
  20. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    THX Ultra versus THX Select, which is better suited to the average consumer?
    Um, a little from column A and a little from column B

Dolby Digital 5.1 versus Dolby Digital 6.1, Is the centre rear channel needed for today's movies?
    Like you can tell over the popcorn and lolly packets, not to mention the kids...

Digital Television, boom or bust?
    Um, bust! Who cares how clear it is if there is only crap to watch?

Lucas Licensing, out of control nutters or guys in the boxseat?
    out of control nutters. I mean, is it was stuff we actually wanted, like working lightsabers...

The GST, is the federal government taking to much or our money?
    Yes, but they need to pay the phone bills and their children/cousins/'assistants'.

Cybernetics, will we eventually have fully replicable cyberarms, would you want one, or would you rather have a vat grown cloned arm?
    Vat grown cloned arm. Much easier to wrap a rubber band around and allow to die then drop off when you realise that the whole idea freaks you out anyway.

Telstra broadband, blood sucking leeches or total megalomaniacs?
    I don't understand the difference...?

Microsoft, is the Xbox a smart move, or the death trap they don't need?
    Death trap. Like they don't already incite resentment. More stuff we don't need, or really want, but have to have.

Whatever happened to the golden days of aussie comedy?
    The ninties :(

When you grow up, what's the first thing you intend to do? And why
    Tough one, can't see it happening, although I would probably get a dog. All the grown ups I know have dogs.

When you grow old, are you going to blame the decline of society on the young un's?
    And how!
  21. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    Notice how it's called the "Ex-Box" already? The only decent release game that I've heard of is Halo - and that'll be out on PC by the end of the year if it really is any good (as if Microsoft would limit it to the X-Box if it was a killer?)

The only other game that could be alright is Gotham City Racing, due to the fact that you can load mp3's onto the 8gig hard drive and use them as the sound track to the game.

But I saw some glipses of some GCN games recently. When I first saw the screen shots for the new Zelda, I was a little taken a-back, to be sure. But I've grown used tot he cel shading look, and the pics I saw recently were for a racing game using the cel shading technique: "The Good Lord be praised!" It looks kick-a$$!

The X-Box has an expected life of just under two months - and then the GCN will be released.
  22. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have to agree, that even to an anti-gamer such as myself, the game cube looks good
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.