The great disturbance, but no other Jedi felt it?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_EdgeCrusher, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    When Mace died, why didn't any other Jedi other then Yoda not feel the the disturbance in the force? And as all the other jedi where being assasinated? Just Yoda, and not even the might Obi-Wan felt this? How so?
  2. lorn_zahl Force Ghost

star 4
    Well we just don't know because the other Jedi (besides Obi Wan) don't really have the chance to speak or relay their thoughts before they're killed as well.

Obi Wan was quite oblivious so it'd be reasonable to assume that Jedi who are not as powerful as Yoda, aren't as attuned to events going on across teh galaxy.

They aren't all-knowing beings, Yoda just comes close.

3. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I see what you are saying, but how about do they not stop to feel this sense and then start to continue? Anyone with the knowledge of the force cannot just let it go to the wayside, without saying anything can they?
  4. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    When Mace died, why didn't any other Jedi other then Yoda not feel the the disturbance in the force? And as all the other jedi where being assasinated? Just Yoda, and not even the might Obi-Wan felt this? How so?

We never saw close-ups of the other Jedi at the exact time when Mace was killed, so we cant really be sure of their reactions. Obi-Wan was having his own problems at the time in the sinkhole.
  5. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'd say it was because Yoda was more intuned to the living force. Like Obi-wan in ANH he felt their deaths one by one across the galaxy. I'd even venture to say that it was his link to the Living Force that saved his life where other Jedi remained ignorant.

As for Obi-wan. I can't say for sure. The book says Boga gave up her life for him, the movie just makes it look like the clones missed. I'd like to think it
  6. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yoda has spent the last three years learning from Qui-gon about getting in tune with the Living Force. In doing so, Yoda can sense a great disturbence in the Force. But it's not just Mace's death that he feels. He feels Anakin's turn to the Dark Side and the Force shifting out of balance. When Palpatine speaks to Anakin during the knightning scene, his voice takes on an other worldly quality. That is the Dark Side flowing through Palpatine, who is now backed by the unbalanced Force. Then he feels all the Jedi die at once. Apparently in the film and the eu, none of the Jedi sensed it.
  7. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    But it's not just Mace's death that he feels. He feels Anakin's turn to the Dark Side and the Force shifting out of balance.

Yeah, looking at Yodas reaction in the movie, we really cant objectively tell what is causing his problem. He didnt say anything. We can only speculate. It could be gas for all we know. :D
  8. angus_r Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good point: perhaps "feeling a great disturbance in the force" is actually just one great big euphemism for an attack of the windypops. It might well be the case that, in ANH, Obi Wan had no knowledge of what happened on Alderaan, but instead that dodgy-looking burger he ate in the cantina was finally impacting on his digestive system...you'll note also that everyone leaves the room pretty hurriedly at that point.

:)

Angus
  9. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    ...you'll note also that everyone leaves the room pretty hurriedly at that point.

Heh, no. I went back and looked. Actually Han Solo enters the room after that point. He must have discovered an incredible new smell. :D
  10. qui-gon-kim Jedi Master

star 4
    In AOTC when Yoda felt the disturbance in the Force during the Tusken slaughter, Obi-Wan didn't feel a thing. One could speculate that during his years of solitary training with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan became powerful enough to feel Alderaan blow up.
  11. Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Smells don't bother someone living in such close quarters with a Wookiee
  12. TH421 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Something to consider - The Jedi we see in the "Order 66" sequence are all engaged in fighting the end of the Clone War. That is, they are already using their Force sensitivity to focus on matters "here and now". Even if they sense a disturbance, remember the war has been going on, and Jedi dying in it, for about three years.

Yes, Yoda is an exceptionally gifted Jedi. In another twenty years, Obi-Wan will be, as well. But your average Jedi - even a master - is concentrating on his or her particular mission. Remember Qui-Gon's instruction to Obi-Wan when the latter sensed an elusive threat at the beginning of Episode I: "Don't center on your axieties. Concentrate on the here and now." Advice that, ordinarily to the point, I am sure, was in that case mistaken.

This is part of why the Clone War was such a vital part of the Sith strategy - keeping the Jedi overwhelmed and off-balance fighting a war (itself a kind of revenge against the peace-keepers), instead of sitting in remote sanctuaries communing with the Force for signs of disturbance.
  13. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9

Yoda: "A great disturbence in the Force, I feel. Come. My finger, you must pull."

Yeah, I went too far with that one. :p
  14. ZABRAKMALE Jedi Knight

star 2
    only yoda could feel it
    also only yoda know everythin that were gonna go down in the whole saga
    and the jedi couldnt begin to understand
    there clones had turned on them
    pity it doesnt show you any survivors
    if i saw a survivor and i was a jedi turned sith i would go up to them with my saber ignited being cautious and then stab them
    MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  15. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm pretty sure Mace had an idea that something fishy was going on at that moment as well ;)
  16. Carnage04 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

"War Does not make one great."
    "Only for defense, never for attack."

The other Jedi were charging into battles where millions of people all over the place were dying. they were used to feeling Death through the Force and didn't think much of it.

But think about this. Obi-Wan going to polish off a droid army, Aayla looking for an Ambush, Ki-Adi charging headlong into battle....they were all actually FIGHTING. They were ATTACKING, Waging WAR. Yoda was not. He was at Kasyyk to rally the wookies and Clones, not to fight a war for them. Yoda was not actively involved in battle and thus was able to contemplate the disturbance. The others were more intent on butchering droids.

Carnage
  17. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    This is all tied in with the "Living Force" and Qui-Gon issue, and the fact that Yoda is becoming in tune with the Living Force, which will ultimatly allow himself and Obi-Wan to retian their identities after death.
  18. Malikail Jedi Master

star 4
    No you didn't go to far, this is in fact why i have always liked reading your posts, you have a sense of humor.

That one is great -my finger you must pull- i can actually hear yoda saying that.
  19. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Mace had no idea cause he was killed. I am talking about the second he died, why do we not see the other jedi acting as Yoda did. Even sidious spoke to Vader about by now even the Jei should know about this and we need to dispose of them talk.....but we see nothing of anyone else other than Yoda. I do not think Obi-Wan even knew!
  20. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Even if they sense a disturbance, remember the war has been going on, and Jedi dying in it, for about three years.

Thats true, they were probably de-sensitized to it. Yoda, on the other hand, sitting in his ivory tower for a lot of the war, wasnt.
  21. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    then that makes me question what is truly a Jedi Master?
  22. JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling

star 6
    You can't expect a Jedi Master to be perfect in any way. They're not invincible. The Dark clouds everything, remember that. They're skilled but not invincible.
  23. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I agree with you 100%, but then that also leads me to believe that certain Jedi did not go any further than what was required. I know it is hard to believe this...
  24. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The dark side surrounds everything blah blah blah...
  25. MASTER_JEDI Jedi Master

star 1
    Yoda's connection to the Force is far more powerful than the other Jedi, including Obi-Wan. Leia clearly senses Luke when he's in trouble on cloud city and goes and gets him. She also knows he's okay despite the destruction of the DEATH STAR over Endor. Obi-Wan, Ki Adi Mundi, and the other Jedi who were fighting in the Clone Wars had to focus totally on what they were doing, and maybe it was Yoda wasn't fighting at the time when he felt the tremor in the Force that several of his Jedi commrades were killed in the same instant. Maybe had he been fighting too, he wouldn't have felt it. But my guess is those other Jedi don't have the same profound connection to the Force that Yoda did.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.