main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The great evil Grand Moff Tarken.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The Chosen TML Fan, Sep 7, 2015.

1. The Chosen TML Fan

The Chosen TML Fan Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2015
    Here's a villain that didn't follow a Sith legacy, or grow up with a tormented mental state. He was purely evil to the center of his absent heart, achieved the highest on-screen body count , and even told Vader what to do. So here's to you Wiluff Tarken. We hardly see him in the forums, So i figured he needed his time to shine.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    He actually DOES have a tormented history, thank you. I'd still say Sidious is more deadly and effecting as well.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. The Chosen TML Fan

The Chosen TML Fan Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2015
    I was going more for on-screen presence. You're Welcome :).

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    tarkin is the eviliestest.

5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    So what exactly is a Moff? A military rank?

6. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

They are regional governors of the Empire. Like an earl in the British Empire.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I always found it curious even Sir never figured this out. His dialogue seems plain enough.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Tarkin was the best villain of the OT - There I said it!

TX-20 likes this.
  9. Delta RC-1138

Delta RC-1138 Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2015
    I loved the Tarkin book, and I loved seeing Cushing play him. I think Star Wars needs more non-sith baddies.

10. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm not so sure Tarkin was particularly evil. Ruthless and cold no doubt, but as the personification of evil for the sake of evil, maybe not. Because remember, the Death Star plans had recently been stolen. As a result, his actions throughout ANH were motivated more by the psyche of a high ranking military officer trying to amend perhaps the biggest blunder the Empire ever allowed to happen. Perhaps he was brought in to replace the previous commanding officer who had committed the error of allowing the Death Star plans to be stolen. Or perhaps it happened directly under Tarkin's command and he was put on blast in a way only those who have been in such positions would ever understand. Either way, I believe Tarkin was acting through those motivations on behalf of the Empire and his career, as opposed to being purely evil for the sake of being evil.

I don't know, maybe the Tarkin book explains this, but I haven't read it.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A conversation between Tarkin and Teller, a captured Rebel, in the Tarkin novel (set 5 years after ROTS)

"Subjugating Separatists was practice for subjugating the galaxy. You've known all along. And this time you're going to crush your opponents before they have a chance to organize."
    "That's called pacification, Captain."
    "It's rule by fear. You're not just demanding submission, you're generating evil."
    "Then evil will have to do."

12. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    He helped to set the tone of the movie and OT. He was only only in ANH, but it was enough and had an lasting impression.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    Actually Tarkin has a cameo in ROTS, played by Wayne Pygram wearing prosthetic makeup to make him look like Cushing.

[​IMG]

14. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I think Tarkin was a great character, especially when he was a bit more fleshed out in TCW. If only he had a some more screen time...

I can't wait to see Peter Cushing "digitally resurrected" for Rogue One. Maybe Stephen Stanton will do the voice.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish he appeared in AOTC when Obi-Wan reveals the clone army to the Senate and perhaps in the scene where Dooku and Sidious meet as well.

16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I love Santon's performance.

darklordoftech and DBPirate like this.
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    He's one of the few characters who could boss Vader around and get away with it. Cushing was perfect for the part.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Mace Windu's Cousin

Mace Windu's Cousin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2015

Why couldn't they have just hired back the same actor ?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Because Cushing died in 1994 and zombie actors suck.

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Tarkin remains one of my favorite Star Wars villians, Cushing's performance is perhaps the biggest reason for that. He potrayed Tarkin as a cold and calculating Moff who seems to be one of the few non-force users who isn't afraid of either Jedi or Sith. Something that you don't see often.

Darth Raiden and darklordoftech like this.
  21. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Who grew up in a tortured mental state? I don't recall any character who did.:confused:

Are you speaking of Peter Cushing or the character? Beside, why would Tarkin, who was serving with his homeworld's security force at the time, be at the Senate?

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Good question. I can't say I like the title of this thread. It would make sense for Sidious.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The character, and his homeworld's security force wasn't canon at the time that AOTC was made.

Vader fan 99 likes this.
  24. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015

Plus there's all that red tape from ZAG (the Zombie Actors Guild).

25. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Tarkin was interesting because he did things as vile as any Sith but without any of the fanaticism or megalomania but simply because it was his job. In some ways that's even more disturbing than the likes of Vader and Sidious who seem to have genuine ideological reasons for their evil (albeit a seriously messed up, twisted ideology.) Tarkin is monstrous simply because he's got no pressing reason to NOT be. The banality of evil is personified in Wilhuff Tarkin.

Heroic BB-8 and Sarge like this.