main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Great Game (an OC driven, Post ROTJ AU) NEW POST(08/24/10)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GunraysLawyer, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    NEXT POST IS WITH MY BETA!

2. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Just a quick author's note:

The next post is all Kalinadians all the time...
    With replies, I will be posting a note concerning two points of Kalinadian History and one point concerning the concepts of Justice and Mercy among the nobility in Kalinadian law. You may even discover the origin of the Janus-faced epithet, the Mericiful/the Just as applies to our favorite Protectrix.

All of this will happen soon.

EDIT: REPLIES ARE NOW

ratna--- Thank you and I must admit it is the rare post that touches on things 4,000 years before it takes place.

As for the NJO as Hogwarts comment, which was made by yourself and at least two others...I'll admit that it was something of a model. It makes more sense than the PT's Jedi Order's taking infants does, and it still almost avoids the adult learner problem entirely. But don't worry, you won't see Luke as Dumbledore, Barris as Snape, or the like. Though, I could sort of see Luke with a long silver beard...

laurethiel1138 --- aka She who asks tough, but interesting questions. First, yes Ivo will be in for something of a surprise. This is especially true given that he and nearly everyone else is convinced that Drinie can't keep a secret.

As for Drinie and Erizhan's children...the eldest will get the County and possibly the Barony, unless the Parents set up different arrangements. Oh, and their last name (the kids) will likely be Arhantia-Arzhan.

As for teh brief KOTOR reference that I made (the revnachist), I would love if you and Geo could explain why you're so fascinated.

DarthBreezy--- You raise an interesting point that I can't yet address: What exactly is Barriss doing? More soon on that.
    Oh, and Aube is being deliberately oprovocative with a woman that she doesn't trust. Oops, slipped a little there. ;)

candianjedimama--- Yopu raise the social climber point. Yes, it matters greatlyk to the Kalinadian Nobility of someone is social climbing in a crass way. Example, Elica Arhantia in SL&B. Of course, it may matter more to Ivo as he was the target of a social climber in his past. Drinie's fear is legitimate if overblown.

geo3--- All right, you also are fascinated by the KOTOR reference why?

{b]Sophronia[/b]-- Thanks for the comments, and I am sorry that Luke's path to Headmasterdom is as vague as it is at the moment. Yes, Drinie's fears are overblown, but I think that it reveals something both about her and her father thatshe has these fears at all.

Oh, and a gift links to two great scenes one from KOTOR and one from KOTOR II. First, the funniest scene in KOTOR here
    Now, KOTOR II, here

3. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Ok, as promised a pre-post explaination of a few things....

All of what follows are excerpts from the Encyclopedia Kalindica, Y.A. 2125 edition (N.B. current it's Y.A. 2128)

The Purists aka The Purist Movement aka The Society for the Preservation of the Purity of Kalinadian Culture --- A defunct Political and Social movement founded on Kalinda in Y.A. 2025 by Duke Kisvalar of Henkrali, uncle of the Protector Corlashilon XIV. It was founded in reaction to the Commonwealth's increased involvement in the Republic, or as the Society's founder described it, "the Heathen World outside our borders." The purpose of the Society was to preserve and promote the Commonwealth's culuture and way of life against what were seen as corrupting outside influences. Its prominence varied widely over its existence. However, the Society gained a number of adherents amongst the Nobility and Army when then Prince Toralivo (later the Protector Toralivo II) returned form his off world studies with the Miralukan woman Raysis Knyas, an alien Force adept widely(and correctly) perceived to be his mistress. The movement continued as a political force after Toralivo's death, and in fact membership became so common among the Nobility and the Army Offcier Corps as to be viewed as a kind of joke. When Geharza returned from the Jedi, the movement was somewhat reenergized. Under the public leadership of the Protector's cousin, Zarik Arkodda, Count of Dendri, the movement dictated much of Geharza's early domestic policy upon his accension to the throne. Over time, the Society's influence waned as it became clear that Geharza was not trying to fundamentally change the Commonwealth. Membership and militancy grew slightly when the Protectoral Heir married a Naboo. The Society's leaderrship conference on this issue fundamentally changed its nature, and doomed it. The Mainline leadership's decision to trust the Duke of Dunlind's loyalty to Kalinda lead to a schsim within the leadership. A smaller, more fanatical group lead by Duke Heinsa of Fertalikas determined to plan and take decisive action. This lead to the so-called Purist plot, and shortly thereafter the Purist purge and official disbandment of the group.

The Purist Plot--- The plot by extreme elements of the Purists to assainate the Protector Kisavalivo IV and the Protectrix Dorme at the Dedication of the Geonosis memorial at the Capital in Y.A. 2102. The attack failed, but not before severally wounding the Protectrix by blaster shot to the abdomen. This lead to the purge of Purists from most Political life and the military. A total of 12 executions followed with almost all parties not directly involved in the attempot being spared by the Protectrix's use of the victim's veto. The highest ranking condmened being Duke Heinsa of Fertalikas convicted of being one of the Plot's masterminds.

Victim's Veto--- A concept in Kalinadian law by which the Noble victim of a Crime can override any sentence, including death, by an act of mercy. As the Lord Chief Justice of Kalinda once said, "Justice belongs to the state, Mercy to the victim." The Protectrix Dorme received the epithet "The Merciful" for her extremely wide ranging use of this device to prevent mass executions after the Purist Plot.

The New POST follows next

4. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    As promised a new post:

Chapter 8 part III ?Questions, answers and explanations?

The Grand City Hotel, Outer Sitting Room, The Penthouse 334th floor, Coruscant, 1522 hrs.

As he stood waiting, Brenkal began to grow more nervous.

She shouldn?t be taking this long?something is wrong?what did Noamé say?Never should trust a woman with an unrequited crush on your quite married older brother?Oh, Hells, I don?t have this planned out at all?

He looked down at his left hand. There, hidden in his palm, was a small circular medal on a silver and blue ribbon. It was his award from the City of Dunlind for saving the little girl who had fallen into the iced-over river when he was twelve. It was his only publicly recognized act of extreme bravery. His father had been proud. His mother had turned white as a snowfield when she had found out about his actions.

It was by eavesdropping that night that he had heard his mother truly cry for the first time, and for the first time he had learned that in the Purist assassination attempt on her nine years before he was born, he had lost an unborn sister, the existence of whom his parents had not yet even announced to the world. His shock at this had gotten him caught by his father as he left the sitting room in the Master Suite. Instead of yelling or punishing, his father had simply smiled at him and said, ?Eavesdropping is rude, Bren.? Then he had lead Bren to the crypt in the wall between the Castle and the gardens. There, in the same side chapel with the already built sarcophagi for his parents, Bren had seen the small plaque dedicated to a daughter that none of them had ever had a chance to know, but who had had a name. His father had then quietly explained to him that all this was not common knowledge because it caused his mother such pain to talk about it. It was the sort of sacrifice that family members made for each other, his father explained. Then, his father, the Protector had told him something profoundly moving. ?Bren,? he had begun, ?I know that the City will give you some sort of medal or award for what you did today. Never doubt that your mother is as proud as I am of you, but I don?t think that she?ll much want to see the medal very often. It would be better if you left it in its box and only wore it on very formal occasions, after you have some more decorations on your chest.?

Bren had done as his Father asked. The little medal had become for Bren a symbol of his love for his Family. If Cordé responded as he hoped to his question, he would give it to her. He would have to explain it all of course, but he knew that Cordé Naberrie would find it as meaningful as any rare gem pendant or solitaire ring to make an engagement.

Before he could worry more, the door to the main outer hallway of the Penthouse opened. Cordé stood silhouetted in the doorway. As she stepped into the room, he heard the swish of the skirt of her light blue formal work gown, and he noticed that her beautiful red hair was done up in a rather severe style. Bren found himself smiling almost involuntarily.

?Bren, what?s wrong? You?re anxious; a force-blind duracrete slug could sense you from down the hall.?

Bren chuckled softly. She was annoyed. He had come to propose, and she was annoyed that he was anxious. Hearing the chuckle, Cordé said in slightly sharper a tone, ?Bren, what exactly is so funny? You pulled me out of a very?well, a fairly important briefing with the Queen and the rest of the inner staff. I really don?t appreciate being brought here simply because you felt the need to see me right now.?

Brenkal bit back his first response, which would have been to remind her of a faked injury requiring him to climb down into an isolated stream valley to ?rescue? her in the hill country on Naboo. Instead, he smiled at her again, and said, ?I just had to ask you a question.?

Cordé had started to respond and then paused. Staring directly at Bren with a smile tugging at one corner of her mouth, she repeated quietly,

5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    aka She who asks tough, but interesting questions.

Proud to be of service! Must be the Lit Student in me speaking, but I can't ever read anything without letting my mind wander...

As for the brief KOTOR reference that I made (the revanchist), I would love if you and Geo could explain why you're so fascinated.

For the benefit of others, if you'll permit me, I'll reprise and expand on what I told you via PM.

Regretfully, I haven't had the chance to delve into Old Republic history so much. Too many interests, too little time, I'm afraid... Still, I know that the Old Jedi Order wasn't always as depicted in the PT, and that there had been a great galactic conflict about a thousand years before TPM, which gave birth to the Old Republic as we know it from the PT, and to the Rule of Two for the Sith, who consequently went into hiding.

When I watched the PT, however, I felt somewhat of a gap between the Jedi Order and the impression I had gotten of it in the OT. In the OT, Obi-Wan at least acknowledges Luke's feelings, even if in the same breath he cautions him against their inherent dangers. On the other hand, in the PT, he never strays from the Code and dismisses Anakin's distress when his Padawan wakes up with nightmares of his mother dying. In retrospect, this can be interpreted as Obi-Wan having learned from his mistakes, but still I wondered why Lucas had made it that way.

In fact, there must have been a strong reason for such a strict observance of the "no attachment" policy, for good or ill: I think its inception is essentially a matter of circumstance and points of view, as a widespread lack of control might have seemed very dangerous indeed. It didn't stop me, though, from speculating on what the Old Jedi Order would have been like if their policy makers had been a wee bit more flexible, in application of this quote I found in Revan's entry on the Wookieepedia (my thanks for the link): "Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled, but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love, that's what they should teach you to beware, but love itself will save you, not condemn you". Your Kalinadians merely give me one possible outcome of such a choice.

With Maltasic's intervention, this issue simply came to the fore, and gave voice to a question I had had while reading SL&B, that is, how and when and why such a society as the Commonwealth might have sprung into being. Of course, I felt then that my view of the GFFA had just been most interestingly challenged, and could not help but find this extremely... fascinating, as a certain Vulcan would have said.

Comments on the post proper will come when I have more time.

Cheers,

Lauré :)

6. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Nice proposal there, slick. :p

And speaking of proposal's, I loved how Drinie just dropped the whole engagement package in her father's lap, calm as you please.

And then swept out the door!

:D

And the naming of their (eldest? was it) daughter Amidala was a lovely sentimental touch. Though the name certainly seems to bring with it violent and pointless death.

Nice update.

CJM

7. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    A universe in which lethal torture actually yields useful information. And the Force, being morally neutral, does not deliver unwanted consequences for its use in this way.

8. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Now for comments on the post:

He looked down at his left hand. There, hidden in his palm, was a small circular medal on a silver and blue ribbon. It was his award from the City of Dunlind for saving the little girl who had fallen into the iced-over river when he was twelve. It was his only publicly recognized act of extreme bravery.

Is it just me, or is it an Arzhan custom to give to their intended ones their awards for bravery?

Instead of yelling or punishing, his father had simply smiled at him and said, ?Eavesdropping is rude, Bren.?

Ah... The iron fist in a velvet glove. So Ivo.

At that moment, he realized that he had no idea how he was going to ask. It struck him that he really should have planned this event better. [...] He swallowed audibly and moved toward her. As he did so, he said, ?Fireball, do you want to marry me? All I know is that I sure as the hells want to marry you, but I think that you have to agree to it.?

When all else fails, Bren, direct honesty is always an option. Your father should know...
    On a side note, I very much like the way the proposal is formulated. Very telling of the equal standing of men and women in Kalinadian society, I think.

I mean the death of my other sister in the Purist assassination attempt on my Mother almost a decade before I was born. I mean the death of my sister? Amidala.

*sniffles* It's just... :_|

Heaven, hells, and everywhere in between! Why can?t things ever be easy?

So do we all wonder, Genty...
    Though if things were easy, we'd never have this wonderful story, so... And it's the GFFA, anyway. When did things ever run smoothly in the LucasVerse?

It was not normally a physically messy process, but it left enough of its subjects dead of strokes or with broken minds that it had gained the reputation of being an extreme form of torture. It was torture, but it was also exceptionally effective and reliable. Used sparingly, Genty had no strong moral qualms with it. Still, he understood why it made the other man so uncomfortable.

At least the Kalinadians (or is it Genty?) have some sort of ethics. Though I personally cannot condone such a course of action (violence begetting violence and all that), I am also a realist and understand that the world is imperfect, and therefore uses imperfect means to achieve its ends.

The energy packs for the grenade launcher firing mechanism, and the blaster ammunition, was all marked with Republic Army ordinance department marks. It was all new.

Not good, not good at all...

Please have the Intelligence types check with their sources in the Consortium, we need to find out if anything has gone missing. If it has, we?ll know that the Republic may actually be involved; at least if the Republic Military Aid Mission keeps as tight control on weaponry as we think that they do.

Ah, but perhaps they don't? Please do not make the mistake of thinking the Republic abides by Kalinadian standards, Genty. It is but a fledgling government, with many inside clashes, and therefore control might not be exactly as tight as you suppose. Don't forget the straight-from-the-factory contraband...

The Duke had been a Purist, but he had not been implicated in the plot until he made a scathing, horrifying comment when informed of one of the consequences of that plot. All the Protectrix required to keep him from the firing squad was that he deny having said it. Twice she had asked. First, he had refused to look at her. Then, he had smirked and sneered. Dormé had broken down.

Poor Dormé... Holding so much onto her homeworld's ideas of mercy and justice, only to have them flung so in her face. On top of her trauma, it's a small wonder that she kept her wits about her... until this last straw.

Genty was ashamed of having beaten a defenseless man, but he did not doubt that the execution was the correct thing to do. He had just wished that Ivo had explained it publically, and simply told the Commonwealth what had been lost in the plot. Ivo had r

9. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Ah, me. Late as usual of late. I am in White Rabbit mode, so at the moment will reply to this:

geo3--- All right, you also are fascinated by the KOTOR reference why?

Heh - simple. Too simple, perhaps.

I am an old fashioned Star Wars fan. My interest is primarily in the Saga. I don't particularly follow the EU, and although I enjoy the quite elegant Clone Wars graphic novels, I have little use for the cartoon stories. I also have never played the games - including KOTOR. Not being aware of the origins of the reference, it simply struck me as something new and interesting I hadn't seen or thought about before.

Enjoyable post! More later.

10. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Not really replies yet, as I don't have time, but I did want to say, that I find the reaction to certain aspects of the post to be interesting.

As I think about it, this post may give one of the most unvarnished views of the Kalinadians to be found anywhere in my stories. It exposes the level of ruthlessness inherent in a society that views having the power to act, but not doing so, as a serious sin. It also exposes some of the fissures inherent in at least that last 100 years of Kalinadian history. At the same time, it again flaunts the love of family and the ideal of marriage that is at the heart of Kalinadian high culture, particularly among the Nobility.

Interesting...

more later.

11. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005

After reading the above I find Genty's matter-of-factness about ripping information from a suspect/detainee's mind much more interesting. While I was crying over the story of Bren's medal, reading how nonchalant Genty was in describing not just the common act of tearing information from a beings mind, but that usually said being died from the act, dried those tears real quick. It is shocking considering in Legacy of the Force Jacen is demonized for doing much the same thing. I would think something so drastic would be the last option on a short list. But then again I'm not the one fighting Hapan rebels for the last few years, so ::shrugs::

I really enjoy and appreciate your Author's Notes detailing Kalinadian culture and history. It helps not just in understanding the story but the people in the story. So, thank you.

bran

12. Sophronia

Sophronia Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    Ah Kalinada, where the trains run on time?

We tend to see the intensely honorable actions of individual Kalinadian nobility and forget that there is another side to this autocratic and very militaristic society. How does the common citizen view their government? Are they kept quiet through fear, or is it a matter of a general prosperity keeping them content. Does the religious passion for order influence them as well, or are they more secular?

On the issue of torture: If torture is the most efficient way to gain information, then it is used. The reactions to it seem mixed, but on the whole pragmatic. I suppose taking information from someone?s mind is less likely to simply tell the inquisitor what he wants to hear? What is the risk to the inquisitors? Did they use the interrogators to identify the guilty in the Purist Plot?

I do like the separation of justice and mercy. Can a victim?s veto overturn a sentence on someone who is clearly (admits to being) guilty?

??I really don?t appreciate being brought here simply because you felt the need to see me right now.?

Brenkal bit back his first response, which would have been to remind her of a faked injury requiring him to climb down into an isolated stream valley to ?rescue? her in the hill country on Naboo.

I enjoyed reading the proposal, but this was one of the best non-exchanges, in my opinion. I did also love Corde?s response to receiving the medal.

Drinie was direct with her father, though I?m sure ?drop the bomb, then run? was not what her mother had in mind. I love that Ivo?s reaction is a befuddled bemusement as to why his family thinks he would not react well to the news.

Keep writing? :D

13. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Sorry for the delay, but the practice of law has gotten a little nuts as of late...

I hope to have replies up tonight or early tomorrow.

14. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Good Evening, it?s time (finally) for replies?

First off, I want to thank Geo3 and laurethiel1138 for their very kind responses to my KOTOR question. Frankly, I avoided KOTOR for a few years after it came out, but then fell in love with the game, which is better written than 2.5-3 of the six movies. The mention of it in the story is of historical interest, and will later be linked up to actually make a small but perhaps important point.

Oh, and before I leave the subject, the theory is correct. Certain elements of Protectoral Nobility, including the Arzhan, are descended from Revanchist Jedi. However, that doesn?t mean what one might think that it would?Sorry, I am being deliberately obscure, but just remember that there are in fact two complimentary, but different main strains of thought about the Gods and the God touched in Kalinadian thought. One older than the other and one arising from the presence of the Revanchist Jedi.

Of course, Barris?s view that the whole idea is ridiculous is somewhat more commonly held. Those who think about such things tend to believe that the Kalinadians are descended from some strange lost clan of Force sensitive Mandalorian Crusaders.

canadianjedimama --- Yes, the proposal was slick as deep, gooey mud, wasn?t it? Though, it was perhaps more heartfelt than a grand production.

Drinie is a different matter. She really doesn?t want to face her father about this, but she has to?So, she falls back on an old trick that Ivo knew by the time that he was not quite nine in The Red Bedroom: If you?re nervous, be formal

Then, her need to leave to meet her friend for the Opera, gives her the perfect escape from questions. All in all, it wasn?t a bad plan for that night. Tomorrow, when she arrives home, she may have to face things? ;)

ratna--- In all honesty, I really don?t know how to reply to this. Though, it is an interesting entrée to the subject on a Moral/ethical ground (the practical will be handled below in my response to Sophronia).

The Kalinadians have no qualms about specially trained God-touched using their abilities to ferret out information from the minds of prisoners. After all, this is a society where the God touched can, and do on occasion, read the surface thoughts of everyone around them.

The issue arises when one considers that a certain percentage (around 35-45%) of individuals will be permanently harmed or killed by the process, and that any one resisting the probe is likely to be in some pain (the amount of which is largely determined by the power of the interrogator versus the level of power of the interrogee). These facts, along with the consciously violative nature of the act lead any number of people to be discomforted by it, including Ivo in Soul of Love and Bravery and Genty here( though, he is less discomforted than Ivo). However, not discomforted enough not to use it or the information derived from it. They simply don?t see the logic or reasonableness in denying this advantage on moral grounds. However, both would be become more discomforted, if it were used on an extremely large number of individuals frequently. Others, including some clerics, are so discomforted that they have wished to ban the practice, but the run into the wall of Kalinadian theology. As cited in Soul of Love and Bravery: He quoted Kalinadian theology, ?Woe be unto you who do nothing with the gifts the Gods have given you; for you will be judged more harshly than those who have done evil with them.?

In short, the Kalinadians so strongly believe that if one is given power that one has an obligation to use it for the good, that it can sometimes justify the discomforting and the disturbing. Now, you may ask what does ?good? mean? Well, that, to the Kalinadians is somewhat easy to define on a grand level. If it is good for the Commonwealth or its goals or is endorsed by the Church, then it?s good. Obviously, at the personal or small level, there is much wiggle room, and much depends o

15. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Just as a filler while my trial schedule prevents me from writing as much as I would like, I give you an explanatory timeline of events. All dates are in Years of the Arzhan and all seasonal notations are refernces to seasons on Kalinda, unless otherwise noted. The reference date is Y.A. 2121 = Battle of Yavin. Oh, and there's an Easter Egg in the timeline...

Timeline of Recent Kalinadian/Galactic History

Y.A. 1954 Succession of Zarik V to the Protectorate on the death of his father, Valaians VI.

Y.A. 1982 Succession of Corlashilon XIV to the Protectorate on the death of his grandfather, Zarik V

Y.A. 2042 Succession of Toralivo II to the Protectorate on the death of his father, Corlashilon XIV

Y.A. 2049 Birth of the future Protector Ge-Harza I at Dunlindia, Death of his Mother, Duchess Talsia

Y.A. 2051 Succession of Brenkal IV to the Protectorate on the death of his brother, Toralivo II

Y.A. 2074 Return of Ge-Harza to Kalinda, his resignation from the Jedi Order and marriage to Lianna Delitride

Y.A. 2076 Succession of Ge-Harza I to the Protectorate on the Death of his father, Brenkal IV, and birth of the future Protector Kisavalivo IV.

Y.A. 2085 the Events of The Red Bedroom

Y.A. 2088 the Events of ?The Phantom Menace?

Y.A. 2098 The Events of Soul of Love and Bravery Clone Wars begin

Y.A. 2101 Marriage of Kisavalivo and Dormé Lankrerre on Naboo, Succession of Kisavalivo IV to the Protectorate upon the death of his Father Ge-Harza I, The events of Event of the Season and Succession Last Month (Coruscant Calendar, shortly prior to the first day of Winter/Long Night/ New Year in the Northern Hemisphere of Kalinda): Senator Amidala (Padmé Nabierre) of Naboo disappears into hiding

Y.A. 2102 New Year Month: Purist Plot on Kalinda, Late Spring: Luke and Leia Skywalker Born, Conspirators refuse to alert Anakin Skywalker of his children?s existence or his wife?s whereabouts even when the request is superficially for third parties

Y.A. 2103 Summer: Arzhan and Arlotra to Alderaan searching for Padmé, Late Autumn: Separatists staged several raids on the Republic?s core, including an unsuccessful assault on Coruscant. Outcry in Senate concerning how the Jedi could permit such an event, and implementation of strengthening of the Coruscant garrison generally and during special events. Long Night/New Year: Padmé escapes Alderaan and proceeds on Search for Anakin.

Y.A. 2104 Early Spring: Padmé captured by Dooku brought to Separatist leadership Bunker on Muustafar, Anakin discovers her location and attempts to rescue her, Padmé killed in rescue, and Anakin kills much of the Separatist Leadership including Dooku. Anakin takes her body and his new knowledge of his child to Kalinda, where Padmé is buried in the Gardens of Dunlindia; Anakin then returns to Coruscant and reports to Palpatine and in his last mainly civil communication with them, the Jedi that the Separatist leadership has been devastated, Chancellor Palpatine announces that due to the continued presence of Separatist Forces in the field lead by General Grievous that the War will continue. Summer: Birth of Anlwee Arzhan, Prince of Zhania and Heir to the Protectorate. Mid-Autumn: Obi-Wan Kenobi kills Grievous on Utapau; Arrival of Kisavalivo IV and units of the Kalinadian Army on Coruscant for the State Senate opening and to increase the world?s garrison during the event; Jedi discover Palpatine?s identity as Darth Sidious; ?The Jedi Coup attempt,? Lead by Mace Windu, four Jedi Masters attempt to arrest and overthrow Palpatine?s government, all four are killed by Sidious and Anakin Skywalker, now known as Darth Vader; Operation Knightfall (aka Order 66) put into effect, the events of A Burning, Baleful Night Empire declared by Palpatine, who is elected Emperor by acclamation. Late Autumn: Many surviving Jedi flee to the remaining Separatist enclaves (mainly held by the Commercial Union and some elements of the TechnoUnion), making common cause with them against Palpatine; The Cl

16. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    I hope that I haven?t built [Dormé] into some sort of superhero or Mary Sue

On the contrary, GL, I think you have succeeded in building a character who is an uncanny mix of impressive strenght and brittle fagility. By necessity, she has been made to adapt to a totally different culture than her own, and she has needed to grow into a public figure showing unwavering support to all of her husband's actions, be they accurate or questionable (as the event leading to Ivo's "Butcher of Theed" moniker).

In fact, the way you depict Dormé reminds me a lot of Connie Nielsen's portrayal of Lucilla in the movie Gladiator, and her ultimate breakdown of Lucilla's confession: "I am tired of being strong". Though their circumstances are widely different, both women are a vivid illustration of the popular saying "that which doesn't kill me makes me stronger", and of the costs of such a forced character growth. For her own peace of mind and the continuance of Kalinda, she has been made to sacrifice much (when she let go of her thretella career, for example) and to endure more (as her reticence to even be in Palpatine's presence attest). To paraphrase one of Maximus's answers to Lucilla, I think Dormé has a talent for survival.

On the subject of the Purist plot, I just had an interesting flash. In SL&B, you pointed out that, had Ivo reneged on his duty to Kalinda, his sister would have been the first woman to ascend to the throne in a good number of years. And now I am wondering if Ivo had been the only one to have visions of Amidala Lianna Arzhan. If, indeed, some amongst the Purists had a similar vision, might not the more conservative elements of Kalinadian nobility have balked at the notion of having a Protectrix in her own right, regardless of the general standing of women in Kalinadian society? And would they not have relished the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak? Here I am reminded of young Queen Victoria's difficult first years, when everyone sought to take advantage of her inexperience and impose upon her a marriage of their choice. Or of some journalist's reaction when Prince Felipe of Spain announced the birth of a second Infanta: the Prince was asked if they'd be "going for a third baby" (in clear, a boy), to which he answered that they were perfectly happy as is. Ideas such as these would perhaps explain the Duke's reaction when he was told the full consequences of the assassination attempt...

Cheers,

17. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    laurethiel1138 --- To be professorial, you say this: she has needed to grow into a public figure showing unwavering support to all of her husband's actions, be they accurate or questionable (as the event leading to Ivo's "Butcher of Theed" moniker).

Have you considered the following from "To Absent Friends":

?Your wife, the Naboo, what did she think of the massacre at Theed??

She watched him glance down. For the first time, he seemed embarrassed by the incident. Then in a soft voice, she heard him say three words: ?She forgave me.?

;)

18. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Just a quick note to say that I'm still here and still writing. Unfortunately, between work and preparing with my wife for the impending arrival of our fourth child, I have had little time to type the yellow legal pages full of story that I have written.

But, I promise soon....

19. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    First, congratulations on the coming birth. I just hope that this latest addition won't make you loose too much sleep.

Second, being rather caught up into DRL issues of my own related to my Ph.D. studies, I understand that sometimes you do have to set priorities. When you're ready to post, we'll be there.

And third, about your "professorial" question, well... I will merely underline that the simple need to ask for someone's forgiveness implies that said someone might feel offended by one's action. So yes, even though Ivo and Dormé eventually reconciled over the Theed events and were able to present a united front, it doesn't mean that this was easily achieved.

Cheers,

20. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    As I continue to try to get my yellow sheets of scribbles typed up, I give you a few background images(remeber to click as necessry to avoid distortion)...

First, Corde Naberrie, the future Baroness Tornoch and Duchess of Dunlind:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Gunrayslawyer/DaniellePanabaker.jpg]

Secondly, her future husband, Brenakl Baron Arzhan of Tornoch and Future Duke of Dunlind, in a pic in which he looks entirely too much like his father:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Gunrayslawyer/garrett-hedlund-60455.jpg]

Next, Erizhan Arhantia, friend of Anlwee and Brenkal and future husband of Drinie:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Gunrayslawyer/simon2-3e5da5f54a75e.jpg]

Laecilla aka Henillidia II, Queen of the Naboo:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Gunrayslawyer/AnneHathawayRachelGettingMarriedPre.jpg]

Dorme Duchess Arzhan of Dunlind, going into her Father-in-law's official Birthday celebration, one month before his death:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Gunrayslawyer/rose-byrne-20080108114956336_119983.jpg]

Finally, I give you something of a mystery image, feel free to PM me with a guess as to this person's identity:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Gunrayslawyer/MV5BMTU3MTAxNzY4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg]

21. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I know it must have appeared that I had fallen out of the SW universe because I havent visited in so long. Partially because I hadnt read anything current from any of my favorite authors. So you can imagine how happy I was to see some posts listed from you!

I love that Bren gave Corde a medal for an engagement token and Drinne's matter of fact method of informing her father of her engagement. I always love family dynamics and the way children view things to the surprise of their parents. Going back and forth from the political arena to familiar scenes helps us to see the full picture and its effects on the smaller society of the family. You do this flawlessly. Keeps the story tantilizing.

22. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Just wanted to say that I hope to post what comes next tomorrow night...but first, a picture that you may need, but that I forgot...

Geharza Artoras, CO B/1/12th Chologan Regiment of Foot (The Protector's Own, The Indoni Rifles: [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Gunrayslawyer/wrongryan.jpg]

For a more recent appearance of the same actor see this He's the one with the Hammer on his shirt...

Oh, and any one who didn't reply has another 24 hrs or so to do so...

23. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Earlier than planned...but here's a new post:

Chapter 9 ?Parties, then and now.?

House of Zelkarrie, Coruscant, 1906 hrs. Coruscant Mean Time

The House of Zelkarrie was a restaurant founded by Raxis Zelkarrie, a merchant from Theed who had found himself on Coruscant and felt that there was nowhere to get a decent meal. Of course one could, and many aristocratic Naboo did, call Zelkarrie?s tastes provincial, but they seemed new and daring to the gastronomes of Coruscant. The restaurant made its owner a tidy, if unspectacular profit, until everything changed.

First, Naboo?s Senator had become Chancellor and then Emperor.

In between those events, the then heir to the Protector of Kalinda had married a Naboo.

The Kalinadians were a romantic people. Once it became known that the Duke and later Protector Kisavalivo and the Lady Dormé had taken dinner at the restaurant as part of their first date, business had nearly doubled as Kalinadian men brought their female companions there for dinner. Over the intervening twenty-nine years, nearly three dozen Kalinadian couples had become engaged in the dining room. In short, the House of Zelkarrie had become as much a Kalinadian retreat as the Commonwealth Club.

Given this history, it was perhaps unsurprising that this night the restaurant?s Bar and Bar Dining area played host to an impromptu engagement party for the Protector?s son, who like his father had proposed to a Naboo. The party was in full swing as another group entered the restaurant. This one was lead by a relatively non-descript blond man, and was certainly smaller than the one raising a ruckus throughout the bar. Also, if pressed, this leader would not have been able to articulate a specific reason that he had chosen to bring the core of his Restored Order to this place. He would simply have said that he had a feeling that it was the right thing to do. Such was the life of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master. He had other titles as well, but he tried not to dwell on them.

He did wonder one thing though. He wondered if he had made a mistake in not asking his sister and brother-in-law to come with them, when he had comm'd the restaurant.

Well, that?s sand in the wind now

The thought was barely complete when his attention was drawn by the wall of noise emanating from the bar to his left. It was a strange combination of music, voices speaking in Basic and some other language, laughter, and cheering. From the corner of his eye, he saw Barriss Offee start slightly, really almost imperceptibly, at the sound.

?Sounds like somebody is throwing one hell of a party,? Aube Canaille jauntily observed as she moved toward the noise.

?Nails,? Luke said to himself in an exasperated tone to no great effect, as he was approached by the Maitre D?. The smartly dressed man was shorter than Luke, and smiled as he addressed him.

?Master Skywalker, I didn?t realize that you and your party were planning to attend the celebration that Baron Silandiensis is hosting for Baron Tornoch and his fiancée. If I had, we would have made sure that there was an extra table there.?

Luke was flummoxed. He had no idea who these Barons might be. Bariss leaned in and whispered to him, ?They?re Kalinadian nobility. The Baron Silandiensis is the Protector?s nephew, and the Baron Tornoch is the Protector?s youngest son, Brenkal. They?re both officers in the Indoni Rifles, and on Coruscant as part of the Embassy Security Company.

?Oh,? Luke said quietly. Turning to the Maitre D?, Luke smiled and said, ?We?re just stopping in to pay our respects, and then we?ll be off to our own table.?

The Master Suite Sitting Room, Castle of Dunlindia, Duchy of Dunlind, Kalinda, 1755 hrs, Capital Region Time

They sat at the small round table in the sitting room finishing the first course of their first meal alone together in what seemed like months. They had often dined here in the sitting room between what had been designed as two bedchambers early in their marriage, before children

24. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Geharza Artoras, CO B/1/12th Chologan Regiment of Foot (The Protector's Own, The Indoni Rifles...

MAL!!!!!!! It's Mal, from Firefly! Captain Tightpants himself! [face_drool] If I didn't already love your Kalinadians, this would tip me right over. I'm a huge fan of Dr. Horrible's Singalong blog, and will watch ANYTHING with Nathan Fillion in it...

I love the new post, but will have to come back after the weekend with proper comments, as I'm going to be away.

~

In the meantime, I gather there is a new addition to the Gunray family? Marvelous! Congratulations to all, and to all a few good nights.... *hugs*

25. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    I nearly fell of my chair when I saw that photo, myself. Ain't nothin' that's gonna keep me away from my Cap'n. Mal Reynolds is all sorts of awesome, and his rebelious streak fits right into the Kalinadia society. Strong, loyal, and utterly driven.

*sighs*
    *sighs some more for good measure*

As for watching anything with Nathan, do you know about Castle, his latest series on ABC (monday nights at 10)? My heart did a fair number of flips for the Halloween special, what with the shiny intro they did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3pdj9p6yI . Gotta love the show's writers...

Cheers,

PS: Not to forget, of course, that Erizhan Arhantia is *gasp* gorram Simon Tam. Force, but these Kalinadians are some right handsome men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.