main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The great playable characters of our time.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Katarn from Jedi Outcast has personality; but without an actual voice, Mario, Link, Samus Aran and Mega Man lack the potential.

I would nominate Kerrigan, Zeratul or Jim boy Raynor from the Starcraft games as well.
    "An illusion! Where are you, Tassadar? Afraid to face me?"
    "So long as you stay so predictable, O'Queen, I need not face you at all."

"Jim, I want you to move in and save that ship."
    "I'm positive I didn't hear that right."
    "I'm not asking you to like it. I'm asking you to do it."

I'm partial to M. Bison from Streetfighter 2, not that anyone would beat me with him, naturally.

Finally, I think that kid from Wonderboy aka Islander has great potential!

2. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Mega Man wac actually given a voice in Mega Man 8 and in the later X series.

As for Link... I think without a voice, it has more personality. I'd hate to have Link with a voice.

it gets you in the game so much more as you esentially give Link his voice.

But I agree. Wonderboy is awsome.

Especially Wonderboy in Monster Land.

That was a kick ass game.

Wonderboy: Dragon's Lair was also great.

3. 3d4_12

3d4_12 Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2003
    Doh, I can't believe I forgot to mention Max Payne! He's definitely on the list, after Denton.

Very easy to sympathize with him, and after playing MP2 (2nd difficulty level) I was kinda bummed that Mona died (haven't done the hardest setting yet) because I wanted him to get the girl and be finally happy. But inwardly, I liked that ending since I'm such a sadist.

An honorable mention goes to Ben, from Full Throttle. It was fun playing as/being him.

A nod goes to James Anderson (Outlaws). Looking for Anna and exacting revenge really tugged at my heartstrings. And the music - superb! Great western atmosphere. I consider this the forerunner of how FPSes should be (look at JK). The bits of interaction (using a shovel, pen etc.) helped make the ex-Marshall a thrill to play.

4. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Check my sig.

As for Link, he's my other favorite. I'd love to have him with a voice, though, with an honest character. We know he cares deeply for his fellow sentients, and is honorable, but he's also a fun-loving little boy in a sense.

5. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    As for Link... I think without a voice, it has more personality. I'd hate to have Link with a voice.

Are you talking about speech or screams when he hacks moblins with a sword or falls down or both? :p

6. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    The one character I have really grown to love is Mario. It's strange. I guess I just like his odd childish behaviour.

The next my the list would have to be Link. And I actually think that the new cartoony look gives him more character, even though I was one of those who had got his life ruined the first time I found out about the new look.

7. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I love the X-Wing series, but there really is no characterisations of the player character in-game.

Ah. Well, I was going with the fact that they're playable characters, and, I've read the books and such about them, which makes me like them.

But, yes, when going by the games themselves, not great.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And then there's the Man With No Name from GTA3. Since he's a cypher, you're essentially him and the mayhem he causes is the mayhem YOU cause. If you're into the GTA games of course... [face_blush]

9. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    btw, i would like to post jc denton has way more character then jp.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    But I'm not a playable game charcater!

Err...

[image=http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/jpskin5.jpg]

[face_blush]

11. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I'm sure Link will be overrepresented in this thread

you can never overrepresent Link. He is THE best game character ever, even though he doesn't talk but as someone earlier said, that gives him almost more character. I still think he should be Nintendo's mascot, Mario is cool and all but Link is just the epitomy of a video game character. And the Zelda series is just so captivating and legendary.

Forcebewitya!

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, the cutesy Robin Hood wannabe does nothing for me. :p

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm surprised no one has brought up Chung-Li and her Spinning Bird Kick and the angle you get . . . [face_blush]

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    you can never overrepresent Link. He is THE best game character ever

PPOR! :D

Anyhoo, that there's one ocarina-playing elf I've never cared much for... :p

15. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, the cutesy Robin Hood wannabe does nothing for me.

Robin Hood is a pansy next to Link, and Link was never "cutesy" till WindWaker, blasted cell shading.

Forcebewitya!

16. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    you can never overrepresent Link.

Can I get an AMEN?

Or a HELL YEAH will work, too.

Link should be Nintendo's mascot. Mario is an enjoyable character, but he just doesn't have Link's depth.

17. Nibelheim

Nibelheim Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2003
    Gosh I'll say hell yeah... Link CANNOT be overrepresented, it is impossible.

well, the cutesy Robin Hood wannabe does noting for me

I really hope it didn't "do" anything for you in the first place. Link is a guy after all. Anyway, Link would kill robin hood anyday. The power of the Triforce empowers him in every thing that he does. Link cannot be defeated because he is Link. Destiny wouldn't just choose him for no reason. The Master Sword wasn't created for some cheap skate that dies by like-likes. It was forged for the Savior of Hyrule. He is skilled with the Legendary blade, the Master Sword and I hope he cleaves all those that degrade his name and the usage of it. That does mean you JP-30. I never liked you before, but now you have commited blasphemy against Link and Hylians everywhere. You have said Link doesn't deserve praise, He saved the frikin' world for petes sake, what have you done? Now you will perish under Link's blade. MAY DIN, FARORE AND NAYRU CURSE YOUR SOUL FOR ETERNITY!!! As you can see, I feel strongly about this, I appologize. You just dissed Link, and you had to pay. Sorry, it won't happen again.

As for other Characters, my personality fits Cloud and Squall quite well. Myself, like Cloud and Squall, have become more and more filled with character, I used to be incredibly plain. Still kinda am though... FFVII and VIII were my favorites, VI is 3rd though. Good Stuff Final Fantasy.

18. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Yes, indeed alpha_red, you are so right in your thinking. For that you get added automatically to my WUL. A fellow Zelda fan, always deserves recognition :D. And of course Nibelheim your words speak so much wisdom to the ways of Zelda.

Forcebewitya!

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > That does mean you JP-30. I never liked you before, but now you have commited blasphemy against Link and Hylians everywhere. You have said Link doesn't deserve praise, He saved the frikin' world for petes sake, what have you done? Now you will perish under Link's blade. MAY DIN, FARORE AND NAYRU CURSE YOUR SOUL FOR ETERNITY!!! As you can see, I feel strongly about this, I appologize. You just dissed Link, and you had to pay. Sorry, it won't happen again.

What have I done? Why, I saved the entire UNIVERSE lad.

Twice.

20. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah true. He did.

I was there.

Plus Robin Hood was real. Well they were real...I guess. :p

21. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Oy!

Did someone just blast Wind Waker?!?!?

Ok, I'll admit that the having to change wind direction constantly got tedious towards the end when having to do that scavenger hunt for the Triforce... but man, that game was an utter joy to play.

And I love the look. It resembled that cool artwork the series always had in the manuals.

22. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    Nathan Zachary (Crimson Skies), Jake Logan (Tachyon), Cate Archer (No One Lives Forever), Tommy Angelo (Mafia). There are some others just need to find their names.

23. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I like to add Samus Aran to the list.

Link was never "cutesy" till WindWaker, blasted cell shading

People who say this, either never played any 2D Zelda games or the only thing they care about are the graphics.

Zelda games always looked cartoony or whatever you want to describe it, except for the N64 games because the N64 couldn't handle such cartoony looks. Hence why the game looks "realistic".

Just look at LttP, the gameboy Zelda games if you want proof.

What have I done?

Apparently you bashed Link and now some of the Zelda fans are uniting against you. Quite a scary concept.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I'll stand by jp-30 on this one: Link is utterly overrated; I just don't see what the Nintendo-heads find so compelling about this elf. :D

25. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Woops, forgot Luigi, but sure as h*ll not in Luigi's mansion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.