main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River / Legends Haven MkII (Was: Should there be new stories in the Legends continuity?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    There will come a point when the movies stop for a period of time (perhaps 15/20 years from now) and then obviously several years after that Disney will try to get the movies started again. At that time I could see them rebooting the franchise again but likely not before that. You have to remember they have thousands upon thousands of years to tell stories either before the Battle of Yavin or after the Battle of Yavin.
    So yes while I can definitely see another reboot happening again sometime in the future I don't think it will happen for at least thirty years or so.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Actually, that's a good idea--unlike SotJ, stuff that theoretically could be canon but doesn't have to deal with the attendant restrictions.
    Agreed.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    I feel that eventually yeah there should be new stories for the Legends continuity. Technically this is already happening through the TOR MMO but seeing it on a wide scale would be nice. Obviously Disney should focus on making the new canon as deep and well thought out as possible and should focus on developing that however, an occasional book or comic dealing with the legends time period would deal with a lot of the backlash caused by the de canonization of the old EU.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    This is what pisses me off about the reboot. It didn't have to happen. They could have gone with the KOTOR/Legacy route for the current batch of movies and avoided having to nuke the pre-existing continuity in the first place. But they didn't, why? Because they just wanted to shoehorn the Big Three in...because it seems the Star Wars universe doesn't work without them.

Anyway, as to the question of whether there should be any more Legends stories...I don't see the point. Why would any author want to write something that's not going to be included in canon? It would just cause confusion to the casual fans who walk into a bookstore, pick up a Star Wars novel, only to find out later on "Huh? It's not connected to the movies? What?" Also, I just wasn't a fan of what they did with the post-NJO stories. It just felt like they were making up new, contrived conflicts to well...shoehorn in the Big Three. I would much rather that they had shifted the focus to a new set of characters, or a different era entirely. So in short, I wasn't happy with where the old EU was going...but I still hated the reboot for throwing out all the older stuff that I did like.

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I disagree with you here. I think the first trilogy needed to be a direct sequel to ROTJ in order to start the whole thing off with a bang. Setting a movie thousands of years into the past wouldn't have had the same effect on the populace in general as finding out what happened to Luke, Han, and Leia would have.

The movies needed to build up some steam before they started cracking into the ancient history of the Republic or Jedi.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't feel like it's particularly necessary to find out what happened to Luke, Han and Leia. I read a bit of the old EU, so I know some of what happens there, but for those people who didn't, "they lived happily ever after" works just as well. Luke's hero journey climaxed with ROTJ when he defeated the Emperor and rejected the dark side. What more is there for him to do as a character? You can't bring in a bigger, badder villain because then it would cheapen what happened in ROTJ. So what we had in the old EU was more or less Luke watching over the new Republic and Jedi Order rebuild itself. TFA and the new EU will shift the details around a little, but it'll probably still be Luke watching over the new Republic and Jedi Order rebuild itself. If that's the case, then Luke's fate can be dealt with in one or two lines of the opening crawl and you can set your new movie 100-200 years post-ROTJ.

mcgo and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I disagree with you even more now. 99% of movie goers would absolutely not be satisfied with learning about what happened to the main characters of the OT in some opening crawl.

DarthJaceus and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  8. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

Honestly, if all we got was that, I'd be happy. TFU 2 ends with a massive unresolved cliffhanger, and one final story as a proper final send-off for our main characters would be nice. I wouldn't even mind seeing them die. In fact, I think it would be nice to see Luke pass away into the Force and be reunited with his father, his wife, etc...

9. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I mean, I would... but I know that virtually nothing in a new Legends would appeal to me. I'd always like to see more Dathomir stories (and what, to me, is "real" Dathomir, not the crap TCW turned it into) and more stories like the X-Wing series (but more about ground troops than fighter pilots...).

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Simple, new management, new way of doing things. Same story, fans get the shaft. Everybody here is signing to the choir. Should have known immediately when Disney bought out Luscafilm /Star Wars that changes were going to be made. Some tried to tell you guys and of course....it happened.

Forget about legends, that stuff is dead. This neu is going to be the way to go. You see, they can tell any type of story now. Legends will be cannibalized to satisfy the new just like TCW did.

Riven_JTAC and ScorpionJedi like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I do foresee eventually a new "Legends" story arriving eventually, probably in the next 5 years or so (not anytime soon, there's new canon stuff to fill out). We live in a world where that was a sequel to freakin' Tron fer crissakes, people! If the corporate entity can shake us upside down and dangle out a few more pennies by putting out one book, they're gonna do it!

12. Whaleyland

Whaleyland Jedi Master

Jul 23, 2009
    I don't see the EU ever rebooting again and that's just because I foresee the current new canon getting its own reboot in a decade or two. Cinematic multimedia universes only stay canon until a film contradicts them, and then everybody has to decide whether to try and retcon the change or just reboot the universe. Until the new canon, retcon was the status quo. Marvel 1977 was slowly but surely being retconned as was The Clone Wars TV series. The EU was a messy universe, but it was certainly creative and intriguing. I'm glad The Old Republic may very well help make all those old comics and novels canon again because that was a great storytelling era far removed from the rest. Some references have been made to the period in new canon material, giving me hope that it's inclusion in the new canon will someday be confirmed. The Story Group has been very reluctant to bring in any old EU material wholesale into the new canon, but I see no reason why select things such as the KotR era games, books, and comics couldn't be brought into it.

I agree that The Force Unleashed 3 is an essential plot strand that needs concluding, even if only done as a short story even. It needs to be resolved. My other personal gripe is that the Legacy comics never told us who Cade Skwyalker's grandfather was (Ben would have been too old probably), how Ania Solo was related to the other Solos (I'm guessing an offshoot of Jacen's line that wanted to hide their Hapan heritage), and if Vestara ever finally came around and hooked up with Ben (I'm guessing yes, and that is why Cade has such rage issues and such a unique Force ability—it's from his Keshiri heritage). Sure they are silly things, but genealogical details matter to me and there are big genealogical gaps between the early Legacy and late Legacy media.

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  13. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    Won't happen they rebooted it because they wanted control over the new stories that will be written and not alienate the old fanbase that never read the books. Now that all the major events will now be in the mainstream they won't have to worry about fans not knowing events.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think the Plagueis novel was a good conclusion to the Legends universe.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I love seeing the endless going on about how Legends is "dead" as if somehow every copy of RPG, video game, novel and comic from that period not only spontaneously turned to dust, but was somehow erased from people's minds as well. [face_laugh] A quarter century of material isn't "dead" by any sense of the word.
    Getting back to the actual question, of course there should be. And there already has been. Especially in this day and age, the ability to produce new stories and make them available is incredibly easy to do.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Dude Vong was making a joke. Only time I have really ever seen anyone say that at all and mean it was when they were responding to some legends extremist going off on one of their little fits.

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Is it weird that I miss those nut job rants?

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Definitely is a lot calmer now that most of those guys have stopped posting for the most part.

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Alright don't start labeling fans as extremists and nut jobs. This will be the only warning.

20. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Should there be new stories in Legends continuity? Yes, Probably, mostly as it would be nice for of EU followers who feel left out by the canon purge. It has been said no story needs to have an end, but I suppose there are glaring cliff hangers that could do with resolution like the end of TFU2. And perhaps there are story ideas that fit better into Legends than into New Canon such as those involving Jaina or Legacy era that likely can't happen in New canon due to huge changes in the universe.

In terms of likelihood I think it unlikely that they will produce new books, but perhaps they may just short stories on the website.

Personally I think they should do something different. The story group seems very keen about the idea of Legends, something that is a story, but can be inspired from real life events. Well, why not tie the two together. A story that is part Legends and part Canon which examines how they both intertwine.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering that the first NEU map shows the galaxy is essentially identical to Legends, I think that could certainly work. Was there a Battle of Jakku in Legends, for instance?

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is the perfect way to handle the old republic era. They could say, "It's a legend told by the Jedi." Interestingly, Tales of the Jedi was intended by Veitch to be the contents of Bodo Baas's holocron. A holocron could easily be an unreliable narrator.

23. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Used to say yes, but after seeing what hardcore Legends fans are really like, I'm saying no.

24. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    "What Legends fans are really like..."

Basically everybody who posts here is a Legends fan...

Riven_JTAC and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  25. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Sorry, didn't want to use the other word here. I guess "hardcore" is better.,After the nasty stuff I've seen, I don't think they should ever bring it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.