main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River / Legends Haven MkII (Was: Should there be new stories in the Legends continuity?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The thing is, though, that Legends is actually free to do whatever it wants regardless of the movies and TV shows. That freedom is its strength. Plus, you can reverse-engineer canon - take elements from the NEU and adapt them for Legends. We're already seeing that to a limited extent in FFG's canon.

And yes, the NEU will reach the point where it is going to being obviously hemmed in by the movies and TV shows. And no, rebooting every couple decades, ad infinitum, is a terrible idea - unless you're an entertainment executive.

Ulicus and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The problem with that is that Legends is done they will never come out with new legends books. In ten years time it will be nearly impossible to find legends books probably even on the Internet.

And yeah I had the idea of reboots ad infinitum that's terrible.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Sorry, NJO was the beginning of the end for me, so I really don't want to see Dark Nest, Legacy of the Force, or Fate of the Jedi brought back or retold. Your mileage may vary, of course: I find I tend to gravitate to stuff going on during the timeframes of the movies or between them.

Out of curiosity, what makes NJO your Star Wars of choice?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The NJO is also my ST, because it did exactly what a ST is supposed to, tell a compelling Star Wars story in its own right that stands beside the Saga. Unfortunately, I believe the post-NJO has been brought back and retold, because TFA used too many plot points from the post-NJO that led me to not read it.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Engaging next generation of the Skywalker/Solo family and good friends as well. None go dark like Anakin Skywalker or Ben Solo did. Jaina brushes it but does nothing as bad as Anakin Skywalker or Ben Solo. Heck, the OT generation of the Skywalker family as well. An engaging enemy just as original as the Empire. Shimmra, Onimi, Nom Anor, Nen Yim, Tsavong Lah, Harrar, Vua Rapuung, Mezhan Kwaad and more. And the mystery of why the Vong couldn't be sensed in the Force. Not a turn-off at all. Made me all the more curious as to why this was. And I was completely satisfied with the answer.
    A fully realized Jedi Order. A fully realized New Republic. The New Republic, Empire, Hapes Consortium, Chiss Ascendancy, Bakura, Mando's and whoever else all teaming up to fight a threat. The galaxy was uniting for the first time since Palpatine shattered the galaxy during the Clone Wars. Agents of Chaos, Conquest, Star By Star, Enemy Lines, Traitor, The Unifying Force, etc. All top the movies imo.

Just feels like the perfect continuation of the PT-OT saga imo.

For the DNT/LOTF/FOTJ I'd like to have seen the Killiks rise up to stop Abeloth from waking up in DNT instead of just at the end of FOTJ, all of the Sith, One Sith, Lost Tribe and other random Dark Siders try to take over the galaxy in LOTF. Jacen doesn't fall or only falls to train the Sith for Abeloth.
    Abeloth is awakened in FOTJ and all of the remaining Jedi and Sith have to work together to defeat Abeloth.

Might have all of the Skywalker's/Solo's team up in the Beyond Shadows or whatever it is.
    Anakin Skywalker ultimately brings balance to the Force, Anakin Solo and Tahiri complete their prophecy, Luke and Leia and Jaina and Jacen work together.
    The Vong get the Force back,

7. medioCORE

medioCORE Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    I grew up reading the old canon, and while I read a great deal of it, there's also some stuff I didn't get around to reading (X-Wing series, Republic Commando, Plagueis, anything after the second book in FotJ), so I'm currently about to embark on a chronological read-through of ALL the Legends novels (including Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest/Last of the Jedi/Young Jedi Knights) beginning with Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void. As much as I enjoy the NEU, I'm pretty excited about this undertaking!

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I need to do another EU read through myself. Haven't done one since 07-08.

medioCORE likes this.
  9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I wish they would do box sets of each series so that you could collect many of the books at the same time.
    They could throw in a behind the scenes guide book and new art.

Or a Making of the EU book.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    They had a trilogy boxset for the JAT. The NJO series had 2 3 story boxsets that I saw at B&N years ago. The first 6 stories. YJK had collected 3 books at a time in a single book several times.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So in my imagination that a NJO series of movies is made who do you think would be an adequate director, lead actors, names of major soundtracks. With modern CGI I don't think there is any part of the EU that can't be filmed it's a shame though it will only happen in my dreams :(

12. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Ronald D Moore to direct.

Bear McCreary plus the composers involved with SWTOR to score.

Actors I don't know enough about but I'll give you an actress for Jaina:

Melanie Scrofano
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She's currently the lead in a show called Wynonna Earp.

Can't really suggest any others.

You would have to make sure the Yuuzhan Vong look right because there has been some god awful CGI monsters around.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I would like to have seen JW or some other composer make some songs to EU moments.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    There's plenty of Vong artwork I doubt it would have been a problem, who do you think would have done the scores well?

15. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Well the whole deal with the Vong is that they are organic, they fight using Snake Spear things.

I'm already a little weary of the artwork art out there because sometimes it just looks really weird. In Live Action it could go both ways.

I put down Bear McCreary of Battlestar Galactica fame plus the composers who worked on SWTOR.
    Bear can do no wrong! No track was wasted on BSG and the wonders he pulled with the music are really good.
    Plus I say him because he's already worked a different kind of soundtrack. The goal was to avoid Orchestral type music like SW and ST and make a completely different kind of music.
    His compositions for the Cylons (kind of robot humans) prove he could pull off the alien feeling the Vong need.

(Extreme view but I prefer that soundtrack to SW. Only by a little but it has so much more feeling to it and emotion.)

The SWTOR soundtrack mostly feels like SW. They worked off the Saga music so certain places use the same style of music.

You've got to strike a balance between SW that we know and the Alien sounds of the Vong.

Hans Zimmer could probably do it but he's overrated and far too dramatic. The BvS soundtrack is excellent but hia Dark Knight sound track is all over the place.

If you could tone him down then a combination of all three would be ideal.

16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    As much as I love John Williams, NJO would require something darker. Bear McCreary would indeed be a great choice, his work on BSG was superb. Otherwise, Brian Tyler's style would be fitting to the atmosphere of the series. His Children of Dune score worked brilliantly as an epic space opera, with darker bits.
    Speaking of which, that mini-series was often brought up in NJO casting discussions back in early 00s, iirc. People had their minds set on James McAvoy for Jacen Solo. ;)

17. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Not sure about that.
    Can you remember Brian Tyler's soundtracks for Iron Man 3 and Thor 2? And the Avengers Age of Ultron?
    Yeah, only partly.

James McAvoy is too old now unfortunately and too recognisable. He's a good actor though.

I forgot completely, what about Keven Kiner?
    I don't think he's good enough on his own but certainly he has proven he has some skill with it. That's not to offend him of course, it's just that some tracks are not memorable or movie level. Some are.
    Team him up with someone and you could probably produce a good score.

If he was still alive I'd suggest Jerry Goldsmith but again he would need to have worked with someone else to mix in that SW feeling.

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    What about Michael Giacchino? He's done some really good soundtracks (The Incredibles, Up, Inside Out, Zootopia, the reboot Star Trek movies, etc.), and on top of that, can remix John Williams scoring really well, like he did in Jurassic World.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What do you all think some appropriate names of various EU soundtracks would be? Duel of the Twins? Jacen's transformation, Mara's death, It was so artistically done, and what not?

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Soundtracks with multiple authors are often a mixed bag, so I wouldn't blame solely Brian Tyler for them being unspectacular. Thor 2 did have some good leitmotifs, but yeah, NJO would require more effort.

If the job was given to Michael Giacchino as WebLurker suggested, titles would have been witty - its his signature. "A Swarm Reception" is literally a track title in the Star Trek Beyond soundtrack. Not sure how that would work with the gravitas of NJO, though.
    There would probably be something like "A Vong Choice" or "Kypping the 'skips". :p

As for the general EU tracks, I'd expect an interesting theme for the Jedi battle meld, and a beautiful Luke and Mara theme. "Across the Stars" and "Han Solo and the Princess" are both brilliant, hopefully this would follow suit. Also, epic theme for Thrawn.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  21. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Why do people always go to those properties when talking about Giacchino, and never the Medal of Honor video game series? Those were, far and away, the closest to what we could hope and expect to see in a SW movie.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    While I know that Giacchino got his start scoring Jurassic Park video games, I don't play video games myself, so I'm only listing the stuff I know him from: movies. I don't even think I'd heard of the Medal of Honor series before.

23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Everyone forgets about the direct ancestor to Call of Duty, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was made by the core people that would go on to create Infinity Ward, which would make most of the Call of Duty series through MW2, before the falling out that would lead to the creation of Respawn Entertainment and the Titanfall franchise.

24. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    The MoH series started in the late 90s with a PlayStation game called Medal of Honor, following an American OSS agent during World War II. Giacchino scored it. He scored several sequels, including Medal of Honor: Frontline (scored with an 80-piece orchestra and clocking in at over 70 minutes), which many consider his best work in his video game career. He won several awards for the series. I have the soundtracks for 4 of his entries in the MoH series, including having dropped close to $200 on an original copy of the Medal of Honor: Frontline soundtrack.

Before Williams was announced as the composer for TFA, I was adamant that Giacchino should be the composer. I am a huge fan of his orchestrated work. He scores a battle scene like no one's business. It's rare that a first-person shooter can make you misty, but the combination of the visuals in the Frontline level "Arnhem Knights" and the accompanying music is very powerful.

I think he'd be awesome for Star Wars in the future when Williams can no longer do it.

WebLurker likes this.
  25. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Face wise, Elizabeth Gillies probably fits best for younger Jaina. Plus, only makes sense to bring in Nickelodeon to counter Disney. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.