main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River / Legends Haven MkII (Was: Should there be new stories in the Legends continuity?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I think if Tahiri died-strong possibility had they continued legends that very well good have happened-you could have seen that.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    For those that read the Black Fleet Crisis back in the late '90's did they try to delve into Luke's mothers backstory too much? I noticed it was written prior to the prequel trilogy so Padme did not yet exist to Star Wars fans (and chances are good that Lucas didn't even have a good grasp yet over who Luke/Leia's mother would end up being.

On the Wikpedia page it said that she was from the planet Fallanassi in the book and it was a secret planet of force users. Did the series give any more details away about their mother other than she was from Fallanassi? Also did the EU later try find a way to still make that storyline fit in with the universe after the PT completely over wrote that story?

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Nope. This is because:

the person who claimed Luke's mother to be Fallanassi, was lying.

4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

If I understand it correctly, it was always written with the above spoiler in mind.

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Oh ok. Thanks.

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So... Did anyone wish Legend had gone a different direction? If you were put in charge after the end of the NJO where would you have taken it?

It's depressing to me that it's gone and I miss it. :(:(:( I just want it back. "Starts sobbing"

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I am sure most people would say that having Jacen turn to the darkside (and the reasons behind it) were not befitting of his character that had been developed up to that point.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Map out a story for DNT/LOTF/FOTJ from the beginning and revamp most of it.
    Killiks rise up in DNT to prevent Abeloth from waking up. The One Sith and allies are working behind the scenes.
    LOTF, the One Sith and Lost Tribe try to take over the galaxy.
    FOTJ-Abeloth wakes up and the Jedi and Sith team up to save the galaxy and create a Council of Force Users after the war.
    The Vong and other Force groups play roles in events.

Jacen helps both sides.

Probably throw in NEU related characters as well.

If we reboot the era completely, Vong presence, other Force groups, Jedi Academies over the galaxy, Tahiri and Corran Apprenticeship, Luke and Mara teaching students, Han and Leia relief efforts and Jedi training, Everyone stays in touch and no one goes dark.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  9. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Don't have Jacen actually go to to the Dark Side/become a real Sith. He becomes an 'ends justify the means' villain that's still actually Jacen Solo. People can sympathize with him. He doesn't go and attack his family for some weird sacrifice thing because his uncle's ex girlfriend told him to do it. He still takes the GA close to authoritarianism, but keeps it confined to where it still at least pretends to be a democracy. He survives into FOTJ and takes over Daala's role. Daala doesn't come back at all, Pellaeon lives enough to appoint Jagged as the next Emperor, similar to Franco appointing Juan Carlos as his successor. Eventually Jacen loses his Chief of State position because of some political scandal, maybe the Confederation and ex-Confederation systems keep pressuring the GA for his removal, saying they'll consider rejoining if he's gone. He also mishandles the slave rebellions (have them still happen) and he falls from grace much like Lex Luthor through constantly trying to reel in the Jedi under his command, though it doesn't happen through a Jedi coup. The GA Senate realises it actually has power and votes him out, Niathal briefly takes over.

Personally after rewatching Season 5 of Game of Thrones, I think it'd be cool if Jacen and a few GAG Loyalists are holed up somewhere and preparing to counter the coup. Lumiya tries to get Jacen to sacrifice Allana and go full Sith, Jacen tells her no and it eventually leads to a fight where Lumiya dies. Jacen realises he's been played tells his men to go home and resume their lives. Jacen goes to Hapes to raise his daughter with Tenel Ka who has tacitly supported him. Realising he may have gone too far in a few places, he takes Vergere's lessons to heart and becomes the era's Grey Jedi.

Meanwhile Lost Tribe storyline still goes on with Ben and Luke, after Luke takes Ben away from Jacen. One Sith don't come in at all, I wouldn't want Abeloth in either, but if she has to be then it still stays a grounded and local conflict, separate from the ongoing Second Galactic Civil War.

And you more or less keep the same LOTF/FOTJ plot, but it makes more sense (at least, in my opinion) and has less out of character moments. Same storyline, just better written. It's how I'd fix the Prequels too.

I'd change some other things. The Confederation, which I wouldn't call that, would come out of a variety of reasons that don't involve Sith manipulation. To fix the post-Vong/Killik Galaxy, the GA government takes steps towards more centralization from Coruscant. The powerful member states like Corellia, Bothan Space, Commenor and the Hutts don't like this and eventually guys like Thraken Sal-Solo take power and decide they'll take their shot at independence now. It's less Clone Wars and GCW Combined 2.0 and more of a Eighteenth Alsakan Conflict. Lumiya isn't a master manipulator, she's just trying to get back at Luke by using his nephew. Meanwhile, Jacen just needs a powerful Force User that can teach him a few new tricks on his side after the Jedi declare neutrality in this conflict.

Eventually Legacy comics still happen exactly as they did. Nothing to fix with them. I'd mostly have it so both of the endings aren't rushed.

WebLurker likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Awesome ideas Havoc123!

11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Make the post-NJO era more like the Bantam Era. As in, don't try to continue making Huge Galaxy Altering Multi-Author Series, or at least wait a generation before you do it again. In the meantime, give us lots of smaller scale stories.

Show us the actual aftermath of the Yuuzhan Vong War, instead of hitting the rest button. Among many other things, follow up on the changes that were made to the Republic/GA and the Jedi Order during the war, instead of just turning the government into the Old Republic 3.0 again.

Enough with the freaking Sith. There are thousands and thousands of years of Sith history between the founding of the order and Palpatine/Vader - any Sith story you want to tell, you can tell then. Find other villains when moving forwards.

And yes, of course no Jacen falling to the dark side.

Havac , KamSolusar, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No Daala as Chief of State!

More Rogue, Wraith and Twin Suns Squadron stories.

A JA/JQ/YJK/JJK mash up series with new characters.

Jedi Ben and Havoc123 like this.
  13. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Change of direction to Legends?

Chewie lives. (Imagine him fighting in the Vong war.)

14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    What's Lowbacca to you? Chopped liver?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Or Lumpy?

16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Yeah in my 'ideas list' I don't have her around, but I wouldn't like her back in any scenario. What instead we could've had is a short story involving her last fight. A flashback to the Yuuzhan Vong War where the Maw Irregular Fleet takes on the Yuuzhan Vong and are making a dent on one of their larger armadas, but are eventually overwhelmed and destroyed. 'The Last Flight of the Chimaera' so to speak.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Works for me.

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

To be honest, yes. I never got engaged with either character.

While this maybe the point, getting rid of the Chewbacca character left a large gap in the ore cast that was never filled in any way, and the subsequent gutting of said cast over the rest of the series didn't help.

19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Personally, I've always thought it was a dumb reason to not continue with NJO.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Droma was a pretty cool character imo.

I considered not continuing but I had to see it to the end. No way that they end the series on a down note. Would have been interesting to see that though.

Subsequent gutting of the cast? Anakin was the only other family member that died.
    It's war. People die.
    The Rogues, the Wraiths, Twin Suns Squadron, Hapes, the Chiss, Ganner, Saba and the Wild Knights, the Empire, etc. The cast was big enough.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Interesting to see a downer ending?

I meant overall from that book series onward. Mara Skywalker and Jacen Solo died in Legacy of the Force. That left the core cast to arguably Luke, Han, Leia, Jaina, and Ben. I don't think that was good for the overall health of the books.

Most of those characters were supporting ones, or the heroes of their own stories.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder: What if Zahn was the only author allowed to write Legends post-ROTJ novels? Would Luke have ever started a Jedi Academy? Would cloning play a larger role in the stories?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. One with the war ending in a cold war to be continued in the future. Or one where the galaxy wasn't as successful in winning the war. Jedi Ben could tell you about some of the speculation before TUF came out about Jedi marshals/sheriffs in control of an apocalyptic galaxy/frontier etc. Stupid search bar is down or I'd link it for you.

Not what you said. Want people to know what you mean, say it clearly.
    Allana, Vestara, Tenel Ka and Tahiri were also pretty important cast members.
    Still had appearances in regards to the ones mentioned so part of the cast imo.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What if the novels and comics were separate universes from the start? This means Thrawn and Dark Empire are in different universes. I wonder what the long-term affects would be. Would KJA ever get involved in TOTJ? Would Dark Horse keep the invasion storyline? Would KOTOR and TOTJ be in separate universes? Would Legacy and Denning be separate universes?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  25. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Probably the effect would be similar to how the Star Trek franchise handles itself. Some things fit together. A lot of stuff doesn't, but may still borrow elements from conflicting source materials. It's continuity chaos (however, since none of it is canon in the first place, that's not a big deal). Some people like the variety, others don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.