main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River / Legends Haven MkII (Was: Should there be new stories in the Legends continuity?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. You don't need to know how Vader found out that Luke was his son to know what is going on. All people need to know is that Luke was the son of Darth Vader and Darth Vader did find out about it. You can get that just by watching the movies.

It definitely will be interesting in twenty some years how they deal with all the numerous movies that had been released. My guess is that each particular time period and trilogy will be a story unto itself. For instance by the time the ST is done you likely will not have had to of watched the OT to understand it (it will definitely add to it if you do but it likely will not be necessary).

At the same time though it likely will be a whole lot easier to get people to watch twenty movies than it would have been to get them to read twenty books.

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Kind of like how the word Tatooine wasn't mentioned onscreen anywhere in the OT until the last scene of ESB, and even then without letting us know what the significance of that place name was in reference to what had gone on before.

WebLurker likes this.
  3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Let's see:

Okay. In the movie, Hux pitches this plan: "The weapon. It is ready. I believe the time has come to use it. We shall destroy the government that supports the Resistance, the Republic." Snoke approves it, and later we see Hux making his speech before it's fired, how it'll mark the last day of the Republic. They then destrory a world that's clearly important to the Republic, if not the capital. Later, when introducing Finn to Leia, Poe says: "Finn's familiar with the weapon that destroyed the Hosnian system." So, the movie both established the name of the destroyed planet and it's significance.

The First Order's origins are literally one of the first things spelled out in the movie: "In [Luke Skywalker's] absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed." We're also told what the Resistance is and how it relates to the Republic in that scene, too: "With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy."

The (New) Republic's existence is assumed, but that is pretty obviously the government formed by the Rebel Alliance after the war, so there's no reason to hash it out.

Let's see: the movie visits Jakku (named in film), Takodana (not named in film, but obviously a distinct world), Starkiller Base (named in film), Hosnian Prime (named in film), D'Qar (not named in film, but obviously and distinct world), and Ach-To (not named in film, but obviously and distinct world. So, half of the locations are named and the ones that aren't don't need to be named to understand that they're different parts of the Galaxy.

I don't know, everything in the movie was explained enough to make sense for the context of the story.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone have the novels with the new covers for The Thrawn trilogy?

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Honestly when I watched TFA I just didn't get the hype and really didn't get invested in the characters at all-I just really don't care about the ST or the NuCanon= the fact that it's taken off notwithstanding.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I just don't get why TFA resonated so strongly, when it made the Jedi myths and legends yet again after RotJ, when the whole point of RotJ is that the Jedi had returned. Why did it seem like the Empire never really died and the good guys were on the run yet again? I feel like I don't get Star Wars anymore, because I expected something drastically different from what we got. I seriously expected a TPM scenario where the Republic was in power and the Jedi were present facing some kind of new threat, preferably not related to the Empire. Was that too much to ask for?

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I can get behind the characters of TFA (Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo and Hux to an extent) but the EU characters were done so much better in the NJO series imo.
    Phasma and Snoke are just bland. Snoke is a bit more interesting but give me
    Shimmra, Onimi, Tsavong Lah, Nom Anor, Czulkang Lah, Mezhan Kwaad, Shedao Shai, Nen Yim, Harrar, Malik Carr etc.were all more interesting imo.

8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I was considering it, but I don't think I will. Already got the Trilogy, as well as the Heir to the Empire 20th anniversary edition hardcover, so this is not exactly necessary. However, had the covers had Mara Jade on it, I would have gone for it. But this is pure Thrawn promo for Rebels, and at the expense of (or even sweeping under the rug) another beloved SW character, so I'll pass.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Zeta. The only one who thought that Luke Skywalker/the Jedi was a myth was Rey.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's quibbling. The Jedi have been destroyed again and Luke is in hiding.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Unfortunately not a second one!

I guess I'll have to wait 20 years!

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Call me crazy, but I kinda don't mind the decade-long gap in between Tron installments so it can be "up-rezed" each time out.

But the main reason there ain't no Tron izzat Disney's blockbuster live action budget is fully committed to Star Wars / Marvel. Which, to be honest, I'm okay with that. But, hopefully, surely they can scrape together some greenbacks in a few years for a Tron 3. It's probably just hiding under the pile of money they make from Star Wars / Marvel anyway.

13. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    But are they though?

I mean POTC is continuing, we've had John Carter ( a mess- marketing killed it), The Lone Ranger and plenty other LA "male" films.

Why is Tron 3 any different?

I agree with Zeta and that's surprising but he says it how it is.

However I'm still invested and the nuCanon has been fun to read so far. Most of these stories can slot into Legends anyway because of how little they actually impact. I don't entirely understand that approach from the EU "not touching the NuCanon" folks. It's the same universe mostly it's just some stuff either is different or ties in to other stuff but it can still work in Legends- Aftermath and Bloodlines won't but AND, LOTS, Tarkin and Lost Stars can.

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is, the differences are just too drastic and none of the characters I care about are involved. I can't even get interested in Rogue One, because of the new characters and locations.

15. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I understand Zeta, my reasons though are a little broader-I got invested in a wonderful fictional universe-bristling with wonder, coolness, and just downright amazement, I spent money, I spent lots and lots and lots of time on the Internet, I got emotionally invested in the characters stories, in the plots-and now it's all dust

16. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Sure post ROTJ there are differences but for the main part it's mostly the same.
    The novels are just filling in gaps and adding stuff.

I guess I have a hard time imagining the stuff Rebels has added to the OT so I can see where you are coming from.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say I fully support Rogue One for being the definite story for how they got the DS1 plans. It's a bit of a ... let's go with "tangle" as to how the DS1 plans showed up in Legends.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    FFG's limbo status has them mixing in material from Rebels with the EU material - since the official NEU maps all seem to indicate it's essentially the exact same galaxy, there's really nothing to prevent them running side-by-side.

Edit: As much as I'm looking forward to Rogue One, I'm not going to assume that it will be the 'only' version of DS1 Plans in the NEU... after all, who was responsible for letting the multiple versions happen in the first place?
    (And of course, it makes it child's play to include Rogue One in Legends - one more won't hurt!)

19. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    What about all the new designs for the film though? They'll appear in this one film and then never again! In the OT!

And people complained about this in TFU but now it's cool and justified.

The film looks like it has more creativity than TFA which is weird for the eras.

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The Battle of Toprawa, Mission to Danuta, and Mission to Darkknell are all I need.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    For shame, Zeta - ignoring Biggs' heroic mission from X-Wing.

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Those are just the three main ones, of course I also include pretty much all of the rest of Operation Skyhook, except anything from TFU.

23. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I want to, but I haven't seen them in stores around here yet. (When are they going to be for sale?) It would mean double-dipping, since I've already got pre-Legends copies (triple dipping for Heir to the Empire, since I want to get the 20th anniversary hardcover really badly), but I don't think the old artwork is that great and the new one is a great improvement.

(To the later comment, yeah, I do agree it would've been nice to have Mara Jade on one of them, esp. since she was a major characters -- and the big one with a real story arc -- and her one appearance on the cover the first time around wasn't that great. Having her with Luke on the Heir cover -- with that floppy hat thing she had in the comic version -- would've been nice and given the cover the punch it needed, since Luke by himself with nothing that Thrawn's half-face seems incomplete. But, Dark Force Rising and Last Command look great without her, and the artwork is good, anyways, so I don't think its a big problem.)

I think it was largely the characters (I think that the TFA core cast might be my favorite batch of movie characters to date). I also kind of liked the fact that it wasn't just a simple happy ending; some things have worked out, others did not, some sins have cast long shadows, so to speak, while others are still influencing people for the better.

I don't know what to say.

The NJO characters also had 20 plus books to tell their stories. The TFA characters haven't had that chance yet.

Um, no. The reason that another Tron movie was canceled was because Tomorrowland underperformed at the box office (which is a shame, considering that it was a pretty good movie). Star Wars had nothing to do with it,

As I understand it, Tron 3 didn't happen because they thought there wouldn't be the market for it (because of what happened to Tomorrowland), so I don't think there's going to be one anytime soon.

I kind of feel like you missed the point of the books in the first place here. They were made to be new stories about the characters. That hasn't changed. Kenobi is still as good as it ever was, while Crystal Star is still as bad as the day it was printed. Legends is still in print, its influencing the new EU, it's not going anywhere.

Yeah, it did get a little bit wonky. (I think that Legends sometimes twisted itself into pretzels to include everything in cases where a saner response should've been to pick the best one and leave the others as N-canon what ifs.)

Let's see, Toprawa was from Han Solo Trilogy (love those books), and Darkknell was in Tales From the New Republic (loved that, too). Where'd the other ones come from?

Why not TFU (Force Unleashed, correct)?

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    As far as I knows, the only piece of new Rebel gear is the U-wing (which I can buy, it's a big troop transport and none of the situations in the OT particularly called for it, aside from maybe the escape from Hoth and, hey, they were just over there?) and all the new Imperial designs I think are because it's a weapons development centre / advanced weapons thingies, which the Death Star was the crown jewel.

blackmyron and Darthmaul208 like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Mission to Danuta was from Dark Forces, Kyle Katarn's first game.
    Pretty sure anyway.

The new Thrawn covers came out today.

Nom Anor in VP (Was in Crimson Empire 2 but haven't read it yet), Mezhan Kwaad and Vua Rapuung in Conquest, Shedao Shai in the first Dark Tide book, Tsavong Lah in Balance Point, Onimi in his first appearance, Shimmra in DW then etc.
    Much more engaging than Snoke and Phasma and the rest of the TFA cast imo.

They wanted several versions of the Death Star plans, the escape from Yavin after ANH etc. so new people would read the stories. Never mind that they could re-release the old ones. They could have told new stories but they wanted to take a new spin on an old story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.