main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River / Legends Haven MkII (Was: Should there be new stories in the Legends continuity?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Sword of the Jedi was written, or any other Legends EU, I'd assume it would be way more complicated that Find and Replace Jaina to Jaiya or something. LFL would probably own the entire thing.

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Nope try again that makes little sense.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

LFL hired Author X to write Star Wars Novel F, if Author X then publishes Star Wars Novel F under a different title with literally the exact same thing except they change a name around, I don't think LFL would be too happy about it and not, like, sue.

4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    As I understand it, the main reason that Del Rey is putting Legends on ice is because they want to use all their resources for canon material.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Del Rey was really the one to create "Legends" in the first place, so they could continue to sell the old books.

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I would be very angry to start with

7. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Really? Marvel is using the label to sell new editions of old Star Wars comics.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And why not? They're doing essentially the same thing as Del Rey.

But basically, it's a marketing gimmick.

9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

But a useful way to distinguish the two publishing lines.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What we tend to forget, as fans, is despite their enthusiasm, it is also a professional job for the authors. Even if a book isn't published the author will have still produced - and been paid for - the manuscript.

SW is also work-for-hire, so whatever is created is LFL/Disney's, not the author.

Chances are Sword of the Jedi will never be published but Golden will likely have paid for completed work on it.

11. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    From what we've been told it wasn't even outlined yet, so not much "completed work" there to pay for. I sometimes wonder if Dark Disciple went to her in part as a contractual thing or some kind of "we had to cancel the last project but here's something else we want to have done, and we know you have a new hole in your schedule."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    Yup. Golden has said several times they had just barely started and no actual writing was ever done.

http://www.swcanonreviews.net/single-post/2016/04/27/INTERVIEW-Christie-Golden-Author-Part-1

Seems like a few emails back and forth between Golden and the editors is as far as SOTJ got.

BigAl6ft6 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  13. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

I'm not a publishing expert. Would the revealing of the cover art that they did be considered premature if the book only got as far as just swapping emails to discuss potential outlines?

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Maybe, maybe they did farther than some emails and are just lying so they don't feel they have to explain why they'll never be completed.

Anyway the farther Star Wars goes the less I care anyway.

15. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Seeing how SW mostly sells on its covers (well, mostly on the Star Wars logo) and not on the content, I could see them research and create demand for the project by releasing a not-so-expensive cover to the public. Maybe it was done especially to see if a Jaina book was even something people would want to read, or they needed something at some point to assure fans that DR would continue to publish stuff even with everything appearing a bit rough.

Who knows, maybe they were even hoping to find some good fan ideas for what the books could be about. :p

Wait for the next new-cover-edition coming once Mara Jade is reintegrated in a post-ROTJ series, or in Ep8 or whenever!

John Carter and Tron were kind of Disney's risky chances at a Sci-Fi Adventure Franchise of their own, but then they were handed Star Wars on a plate. The Lone Ranger and Prince Of Persia before that were, as far as I see it, attempts to stretch out the Fantasy Adventure Line that's still only Pirates. I'm not sure if Tomorrowland fell into that plan someplace, like "sci-fi franchise for teenagers who want to be chosen by destiny and/or ability" or "series of movies based on theme park rides".

However, with Marvel, Disney Live-Action Remake and now Star Wars as three guaranteed moneymakers, I'm not sure if they'll ever need anything else. Or have the time to release anything else. Pirates is kind of strange since it's a likely moneymaker, but also something that had a diminished return when it was intended to make an open franchise out of a closed trilogy, and that has now waited six years to come back. This is almost Avatar time. They also committed full-time on Jack Sparrow, making it almost impossible to go back and do a Pirates "universe" movie with other characters, and since he's so iconic, they won't recast him until 2050 or something. Who will fill the Fantasy Adventure Line slot!

Oh, right, Indiana Jones.

That's it, it's all too formulaic, I'm done with the kind of movies I liked as a kid. :p

16. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    careless double post! learn from the mistakes I made.

BigAl6ft6 and Sinrebirth like this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wonder if the cover marketing was why they had the big three saving the day until Crucible-people have to see Luke on the cover to be interested, Del Rey doesn't care if people even read the books, just that they check it out of a bookstore. Having Jaina or Tenel ka or any other EU character simply wouldn't work from a marketing perspective-just not enough people know or care-how depressing

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

But they still made other books with novel-only characters, too. And some of them did fairly, at least.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We just don't know how well they did. The big problem is the lack of reliable data on book sales so then you'd get a much better sense of how titles sold.

20. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Makes me wonder what people thought who the guy on the Betrayal cover was. I mean, he did have a lightsaber, he must have been some Star Wars character.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Revelation was a #1 Top Seller wasn't it?
    Caedus was on the cover.

I wouldn't mind seeing a re-done DNT/LOTF/FOTJ but focus on Valin, Jysella, Myri, Syal and other Shelter kids for a YJK series, Ben, Seha, Allana, etc YJK series, Twin Suns Squadron, Jacen's voyage, the Yuuzhan Vong on Zonama Sekot, maybe dealing with some hold outs, Tahiri on ZS and then traveling the galaxy, maybe adventures with Corran, Syal and Myri in the Star-fighter Academy, then with Rogue and Wraith Squadrons, starting Jedi Academies in Hapes, the Empire, Chiss, Corellia, etc. The other Force groups, do a Firefly type thing set after the NJO series. Citizens with destroyed planets bonding with other people, The Chiss and the Unknown Regions, Smuggler, Bounty Hunters, etc.
    Heck, look at previous books, comics, games, etc. and bring back characters. Or tell us what happened to them.

So much potential to expand the cast to replace the fallen.

The shift to mainly Jedi characters only mattering was so dumb.

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    it's not very hard for a Star Wars book to sell well. The Crystal Star was a New York Times Bestseller.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It seems I Darth Invictus and a few others are the last legends holdouts, the star wars I knew and loved has passed away and those getting into the franchise now will never understand how wonderful Star Wars was in the years 1977-2014. I am perennially depressed seeing it fade way like dust in the wind.

In any case my enthusiasm for the future of this beautiful and remarkable franchise has been utterly smashed. It seems I can only consider myself a fan of Star War Past not Present or future.

But I guess all good things must perish though.

Anedon likes this.
  24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Fer Chrissakes, this isn't the end of Gotterdammerung...

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Surely that is an ending.

How can you have an ending of an ending?

Legends is on-going in ToR.

Jedi Ben and spicer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.