main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River / Legends Haven MkII (Was: Should there be new stories in the Legends continuity?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016
    Is having a different opinion feeling harassed? I have a very hard time believing that the mods would turn their backs if anyone was being treated unfairly. No one is saying all EU fans are like that. Christ I'm an EU fan myself.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not so, Brule: see above.

I don't expect to speak for everyone or be accountable for everyone or make a mea culpa. I expect the organized groups to, though.

And yes if you're wondering, I also expect users here not to violate our rules and personally attack people for being EU fans or not for being EU fans. If there's any particular post you want to bring to my attention, feel free to PM me a direct link. I'm very happy to practice what I preach, and if I haven't at some point, I'm happy to admit that too.

Thanks!

loststars, Iron_lord and Mia Mesharad like this.
  3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    In a effort to get back on track (somewhat), if (big if) they were going to make new Legends stuff, would people prefer more continuations of the post-Return of the Jedi stuff, like after Crucible, or would the prefer stand-alones from anywhere on the timeline?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

How about in the JCC? EU authors get called "hacks" and whatnot, quite a lot there. Filmmakers too (Lucas especially) get could things that wouldn't fly if they were directed at novelists, in the Lit section:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/zomg-discussing-star-wars-in-the-jcc.50004769/page-569

and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were a few out-and-out insults of EU fans, PT fans, TFA fans, etc there.

Robimus likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I know. I've warned people several times about posts in there -- especially directed at users. I've also directly called them out on it too.

Keep in mind though, that it's a different forum with a different feel -- lots of sarcasm and hyperbole. When JCCers have come to Lit, I've told them not to expect to operate under the same rule set too. We expect more civility here.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Good to know.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    A lot of JCCers are also closet EU fans. It always embarrasses them, but I remember a lot of those same people earnestly discussing the Vong and NJO at a Celebration... in 2012. They're irreverent and crazy (and often have to be reined in) but don't hate the EU as much as they act.

They try to be "cooler" than they are, if you get my meaning.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

I think you misunderstand. I didn't say that a new Legends novel, set in the Legends universe, with popular Legends characters, would make a lot less than a new canon novel. I said that a novel branded "Legends" that didn't have any ties to the old Legends universe (hence having little, if any, special interest for Legends EU fans) wouldn't sell as well as the same novel if it was branded as canon.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I do like the "donation to Force for Change in the name of the EU" idea because it does help out a solid cause and also get their point across. The billboard comes across as mean spirited (a tag that unfortunately seems to be sticking to the Give Us Legends group) and doesn't help anyone. At least when people are blowing money on Star Wars products for themselves, the end result is they get something out of it. Don't think the billboard is gonna get anything done. At least donating that money to an officially Star Wars branded charity works in the way that people actually benefit across the board.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean. I don't think the billboard is mean-spirited? It's a billboard. I don't know why anybody would be bothered by that in particular. Maybe they could've used the fund-raising for something else, but eh. It's not an issue.

If anything, I never thought to see the words "Expanded Universe" on a billboard so that's nice.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, I don't have any issues with it from a financial standpoint. Is donating to Force for Change better in some universal moral sense? Sure, but as someone else said, Star Wars fans are nothing if not willing to throw money at silly ****. Saying "there are better uses for that money" is a slippery slope, because okay, FfC is better than a billboard, but what about other charities? Is Unicef objectively better than a charity for breast cancer, or AIDS, or whatever the hell? It's just not an argument that can really go anywhere, and usually only serves to justify doing nothing whatsoever.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. So Wendig didn't make a great point there. BBL or GUL or whoever are not villains for putting up a billboard instead of donating to charity. And we can't say the billboard hasn't been visible -- it has. It got attention.

So we don't need to fixate on the billboard either way. There are other issues.

13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    For the record I am pretty sure Sword of the Jedi is releasing based on the fact that that was the only question Christie Golden didn't answer in my interview with her. In entertainment rumors, "I plead the fifth" usually means "yes it's happening"

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Have to say doing things like putting up a billboard though is much better than going and raiding Del Rey's site. People can actually talk about the books now on there because most of the die hard legends backers have left. I'm sure Lucasfilm is mildly impressed from the billboard as well. If these guys are willing to continue to spend money to put up things such as billboards Lucasfilm is probably a little more likely to throw them a bone eventually.

Dr. Steve Brule as far as calling me out saying that I target EU fans I do admit that I probably mistakingly assumed at times that some of the posters here who were standing up for the facebook groups were some of the ones firing away at Del Rey. As far as this thread though the only thing I have said since the thread was ressurrected a couple days ago was saying what these people needed to do to make anything come of this (in that it is probably going to take years of doing stuff like this to make much of a difference). The only thing I directly said to you was that the Marvel stuff was still doing extremely well when you tried to imply about slacking numbers.

IG_2000 Until Del Rey stops saying 'there are no future plans for legends at this point' I think you can safely assume that Sword of the Jedi isn't happening.

15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Comic con announcement if any.

Sword of the Jedi as a Kindle exclusive. Calling it.

Then after that comes out alongside Thrawn making his Rebela debut the EU can quietly go into the night without any big announcement and maybe more acceptance from diehards.

They'll deny it all they want but it'll happen in some form as long as the endless complaining doesn't cease. I remember Operation Rainfall all too well.

The funny thing is when Nintendo finally gave in and localized the Rainfall titles in America nobody purchased them. Goes to show just how invested these "fans" who just bandwagon on a complaintrain are.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I remember those days, and the people involved. The most vitriolic of the bunch ragequitted TFN, and never came back - I'd say that was a 'win' for moderated forums. Who know, Traviss might've come back if she hadn't left Star Wars altogether.

Do I need to state the obvious here?

Ordo Skirata and Robimus like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've heard conflicting things about SotJ from people who might know things. As far as I'm concerned, either it'll happen or it won't. But if it happens, it'll be in a time, place, and means that fits the overall publishing plan.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I agree with past me.

Jedi Princess and Mia Mesharad like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see some more stories in the NJO series era.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean if we're going to just pick EU stories to continue, gimme Agent of the Empire. Or give it to me in canon, I really don't care. I just want more. :p

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm glad that I still have plenty of EU stories to collect and read.
    The EU isn't over for me yet, by a long shot.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, yeah, that's the punchline to the joke. Even if there isn't a single new Legends story written again, there's a quarter century of material - and that includes comics, video games , TV shows, and RPGs - to dive into. We'll be talking about that material for some time, NEU or no.

Which is to say, Jello, you and Havac need to get back to work on the SWAJ. :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I actually do think that's a decent way to look at it. Is Legends really "unfinished" if one hasn't experienced every single aspect of it? It isn't finished for you, dear reader! Now turn the page into a world of adventure!

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I want there to be more EU stories, but if it is just going to be SotJ or something else in that terrible, terrible era, then I don't care. Unfortunately, I pretty much completely doubt LFL's ability to pull anything like that off any time soon, since TFA's nearly universally positive reception has almost certainly vindicated the "Legends" business in their eyes, to the point that they may not want to ever go back.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Tell me about it. Ugh, reading the SWAJ is one of the most soothing parts of the week for me but everything else other than that is so busy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.