main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River - The problem with the "the new EU"... A haven for Legends fans.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

The only new canon book I'd qualify as a "disaster" is Dark Disciple. I'd agree that Bloodline and LS are among the best, but I'd put AND up there with them, and Aftermath right behind. HTTJ, LOTS, and Tarkin are all good, but not great. All in all I'd agree there's not as great a selection as the EU, but I don't consider most of these books to be inferior. The average ones are probably on par with the EU, the good canon novels aren't as good as the top tier EU books like Traitor but they're close behind, and the only bad one (Dark Disciple) is about the same level as FOTJ, for me.

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    No Thrawn Trilogies yet. No NJO level books. Imo many of the books in the NJO were awesome, not just Traitor.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Oh, I agree, Traitor was just the best of the lot.

As to the "No Thrawn Trilogies," I think that's subjective to opinion. Do you mean nothing as well-written as TTT? Nothing as groundbreaking? Nothing as enjoyable? As exciting? Etc.? I'd say that AND was easily as good as any one book in TTT, for me. Subject matter-wise, the Aftermath trilogy seems to be shaping up to be a similar kind of story, just with the focus on different characters, not the Big 3.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    um nothing written in the neu compares to the brilliance of TTT. not even close to me.

5. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I wouldnt particularly call TTT brilliant. That's not to say I didn't love it; they are great. And they did lead to the modern EU; even the concept of a unified canon for the NEU cam be traced back to thathe trilogy. *Still editing, accidently hithe submit

JediMatteus likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.