main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River - The problem with the "the new EU"... A haven for Legends fans.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This is how it's depicted in the end of the NJO when it's first established, but from DNT onwards the Galactic Alliance is just depicted as New Republic 2.0 and with the Empire, Hapans, etc. all clearly independent.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Oh, and don't forget that Coruscant would take 'decades' to recover, and yet the capital was back there by the start of DNT.

But again, that was something that should've been caught by licensing and the publishing company - good thing those people aren't around anymore!

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Parts of it were fixed but not everything. Not until LOTF it was completely fixed. I think anyway.

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Even then the lower levels still harboured Vong Biots - and up to FotJ!

5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Right, but Luceno's implication was that Coruscant wouldn't be fit to be the capital again for decades - it was temporarily moved to Denon.

Coruscant in the Legacy comic seemed more affected by the Vong invasion than any of the post-NJO books.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I often wonder if that's why the Ossus Project was invented as a plot point - to reintroduce widespread Vongforming to the galaxy since everything left over from the war had been simply erased from canon.

7. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm not going to defend the silliness of moving the capital back to Coruscant so soon but in the beginning of Joiner King they mention that it was an effort by one of the reconstruction companies and that it failed pretty badly. Of course, Denning being Denning, that token effort was all we got. Throughout the rest of the trilogy and the following series they failed to mention the various "problems" that the planet still faced.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Kypsolo

Kypsolo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    There's a lot young adult novels slated to come out soon...Disney's Star Wars: Romeo and Julet. Sounds riveting.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why wouldn't there be, it's Disney they are largely geared to kids.

JediMatteus likes this.
  10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Also in looking at all these sales numbers/ people who read numbers today - kids read more than adults do :p

11. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm not sure it has to do with Disney.

The prequel era had tons of young adult books. I only read the Jedi Apprentice series when I was growing up. I have fond memories.:)

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I am not saying Disney is a sole factor just that since it often is geared to young it is a factor. As do I, YJK was my intro to EU. :)

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Kids tend to be rather fickle, though - adults are more reliable for long-term sales.

Maybe they're assuming the constant flow of Star Wars movies and TV shows will keep their attention.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

which is fine, as long as the universe does not go down the crapper on the altar of kid friendly fun.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I used to fear the altar of kid friendly fun.

[​IMG]

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I never feared the altar of kid friendly fun, mostly because it's sort of ridiculous to assume Disney was going to skew that way just because it's Disney.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    true enough

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Conversely I think it is a valid concern and it seems they are doing so by current content.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You must be thinking of Rebels then, because I wouldn't class either A New Dawn or Tarkin as kiddie-friendly fare!

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I wasn't solely, no.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, now I'm stumped, what else is there? There ain't that much New EU produced yet.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    My major concern that is most vital to how I perceive something is handling not solely content or styling. Rebels is very kiddie but based from what I've seen and heard I remain wary that AND and Tarkin and anything else that follows them will not have the gravity I feel should be present plus for me the writing of AND is pretty basic.

I'll grant I think SW sometimes attempts to address major issues and themes but rarely in my experience does it do so well.

JediMatteus likes this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Breakdown of revenue from Collider.com (specifically, their FB page). Dunno how completely accurate it is, but it looks similar to some of the other charts that have been made over the years. While books are by no means the majority, their contribution has been nothing to sneeze at.

[​IMG]

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

And even Rebels has its "nightmarish moments"

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/StarWarsRebels

25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i agree neither are kiddy friendly, especially Tarkin.

JohnTK421 and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.