main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River - The problem with the "the new EU"... A haven for Legends fans.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    But none of them are going to exactly survive for much longer, are they? [face_devil]

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Eh, I doubt Darth Vader and a couple stormtroopers can take down eight Jedi. Unless of course they vacillate and fight amongst themselves like idiots, which is what Jastus Farr, M'akis, Shadday Potkin, Koffi Arrana, Tsui Choi, Bultar Swan, Roblia Darte and Sia-Len Wezz did at the Conclave of Kessel in that Legends comic.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, you asked for this!

[​IMG]

Playing aside, it would likely be decided by Power of the Plot!

TKT and Riv_Shiel like this.
  4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Good for him! I hope he is involved something far better than The Force Unleashed games (I have mixed feelings on both of them).

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Legends Palpatine: "The great Darth Vader was a sick man in an iron mask!"

fett 4, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Kypsolo

Kypsolo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    Please tell me that you've all seen the Disciple cover? Putting aside all the talk about whether or not the content in the new books is better or worse that before...can we all agree that the covers of the last 3 books have been terrible?

I know the covers of the OEU were pretty stinking at the end, especially FOTJ but Dark Disciple is horrific. I can barely recognise Ventress or Vos. I wondered to myself if they thought "hey, why don't we put the two characters who have surnames ending in V together?".

I tried to read A New Dawn but couldn't get past the Sullistan character's introduction. Because it was a Sullistan in the NEU it wouldn't register with me that it was the same species as Jae Juun because...well because it's not.

After watching the trailer for TFA I was excited then it sets in that its all simplified now. Everything is too connected. The NEU will be seamless and glide between sequal trilogies and spinoffs but I think it'll be a streamed down version, nothing exciting and all filler. It'll be too simple.

All this probably isn't worth a reboot of the expanded universe.

This is riskier than when Tarkin let the Falcon escape the Death Star.

7. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    You might enjoy it more if you stop looking for so many reasons not to like it.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Is this for real?

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like the cover more than I like anything else I've heard about that book. I do think someone on TCW writing team thought they would put the two characters with "V" surnames together.

Kypsolo likes this.
  10. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Goodbye EU lol

11. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I've been reading through the Prequel-Era EU, right now plowing through the Episode 1 - Episode 2 gap. I am really enjoying them even though I know many of them exist to setup plot developments that have no relevance to the Story Group Canon (SGC). I read the original Thrawn Trilogy back when it first came out and loved it, but stopped reading before the 'Hand of Thrawn' duology, and thus before the NJO.

Reading books like 'Rogue Planet' and 'Outbound Flight' are really fun, as I really do read them as an alternate universe Star Wars, and enjoy contrasting and comparing it to some SGC concepts. IE, how the Legends portrayal of Tarkin is VERY different from that of the SGC portrayal. I enjoy the teases for the NJO in those books, and they have gotten me interested in reading them. Outbound Flight has reminded me how much I enjoy Zahn, and the character of Thrawn. I am enjoying them in the same way someone can enjoy both the mainline Marvel Comics, AND the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It's kind of cool to have two timelines and story threads that do touch at certain points. I think the only real downside to the development of Story Group Canon is the lack of a definitive ending to the Legends story. I understand that frustration. But let it be known that the Legends stories are still being discovered and enjoyed, even by those with full knowledge that their continuity is not the one being explored going forward.

Because of the multimedia nature of the SGC, I fully understand the confusion that would come by publishing new 'Legends' stories at this time. At the same time, I understand the frustration a lack of full closure can bring. Ah well. I'm just excited that not only is there a whole new wave of cool new stat wars stories coming, but there's a backlog of Legends stories that will take me ages to plow through.

12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am glad that some are seeing the eu in a positive light. in the episode 7 threads, mention the eu, you get brow beat

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    @ Taalcon Your comment of Tarkin being different in the two universes has me curious. Would you be willing to elaborate?

@JediMatteus

That's unfortunate. Cushy doesn't understand the hostility or disregard it seems many here have for EU. Likewise the 'canon' debate is already far beyond *old*.

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah and i can see why some might be tired of us eu fans beating a dead horse, but most of us have moved on, and we want to be able to mention the eu as a reference, occasionally, given that there is next to no material established for iconic characters past the film years.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It's the only reference most have. There's a wealth of info out there. People should be able to enjoy it without someone declaring such and such isn't valid.

JediMatteus and Abadacus like this.
  16. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Can you guys quote some instances of hostility, with complete context?

If people are genuinely shooting you guys down in Episode VII threads for mentioning the EU, the word you're looking for is "butthole." Beyond that, lines are being drawn which... like... don't... exist.

If someone says, "WELL SO-AND-SO FROM THE TRAILER CAN'T BE LUKE'S KID! LUKE ONLY HAS ONE KID!" then that person is arguing on a false precedent and is asking to be corrected with, yunno, logic... but on the other hand, I've been watching for all this hostility you guys are talking about, and I just haven't seen it as constituting any sort of trend. I've seen a lot of people expressing their opinions and others replying with differing opinions, sure, but that's not hostility. If somebody is being a child and actually tries to shove it in your face that the EU is gone irrelevant to whatever you're talking about, why are you even giving them the time of day? But if it's just a situation where you don't like the tone of the conversation because somebody didn't like a book you liked... the definition of "hostility" needs some clarification.

Fleab88 likes this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes there is hostility from some quarters regarding the EU just as there is over the PT. Just because some don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. One doesn't need to present proofs to others in order to form an impression, sir. Good day.

18. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    So, it's confirmed that the hostility to which you're referring is indeed just a difference of opinion (albeit intense, much like the differences in opinion of many fandoms), not actually a series of personal attacks against posters as it's been suggested? Well, that explains a lot...

19. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

I just read Rogue Planet, almost immediately after reading Luceno's Tarkin. The two books I think show the contrast most clear - the characters are same in name only. RP's Tarkin is loud, brash, visibly unhinged, verbally power hungry, lously racist/species-ist, and then blatantly steals Sienar's idea for the Death Star, and delivers it to Palpatine.

Luceno's Tarkin is reserved, clever, under-stated, and is a pragmatist. From his POV we learn he doesn't know anything about the origins of the DS, although he knows rumors have been all over the place.

RP's Tarkin is a mustache-twirling (although clean-shaven) over-the-top villain, more ridiculous than scary. Luceno's Tarkin is cacluated, understandable, and chilling, because we get him, and can understand his perspective. We understand why he was trusted by Palpatine, and how he could be seen as an actual peer to Vader.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Tarkin's speciesism was a common plot point in the EU - even Luceno hints at it in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'll admit, Tarkin's Tarkin does feel somewhat more true to his portrayal in ANH then many of his appearances in the old EU did.

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I was treated so badly IMO,in one instance that it lead to me getting upset, and temp banned for several hours. I deserved the temp ban, but the ones that attacked me on a personal level seemed to get away mostly unscathed. But I would agree that most are not hostile but simply unwilling to let us mention the EU as a valid reference.

Abadacus likes this.
  23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I empathise, Jedi Matteus. That is part of the reason why I strongly dislike the 'canon wars'. It really should only matter what an individual considers valid not what a business or others say unless by choice. It shouldn't be imposed.

JediMatteus likes this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A quick check through this very thread - the supposed 'haven' for LEU fans - has at least three mod interventions.

As far as the Ep7 forums... it's hard to take umbrage at people that seem to take the Latino Review at their word.

Davak24 likes this.
  25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Hey I agree that eu fans can be over passionate and militant about the EU. Not saying we are innocent. I would even say that the legends movement is often taken too far on Facebook .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.