main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Great River - The problem with the "the new EU"... A haven for Legends fans.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Man, I wish I'd thought of that.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  2. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Vthuil (first, for some reason when I click on "Reply" it doesn't quote the post to which I'm replying), you said: "If we assume that there's now going to be a preplanned and coordinated timeline, then..."

That's in incorrect assumption. Through various interviews with authors, Story Group members, publishing folk, etc. we've learned that there really isn't a pre-planned timeline. And the only coordination is that the SG keeps track of what is happening in the various mediums so that the various content creators don't create conflicts of continuity. So, other than knowing what has already happened (ie. the movies and existing NEU books and comics), the story is being "made up" as they go. I don't remember who said it, but someone said that, going forward, when they create new stories now that they'll have the benefit of knowing not only what has happened in the past, but what will happen in the future. My understanding of what he said is that the post-RotJ/pre-TFA stories they create, the authors will have the benefit of knowing what happens in the ST. To which I say...well, duh.

Abadacus likes this.
  3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    what is shrodinger's temple?

4. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    oh yeah, i heard of this on Big Bang

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's what? Even better than NJO? ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This isn't really a good analogy, though, because A) I'm sure Warner Brothers would have absolutely loved to build their new comic movie universe out of his incredibly popular movies so they could build off that, and likely only didn't because of his lack of interest in it; and B) Nolan himself was involved in the development of the movies which are now not taking his films into consideration. Not to mention that having multiple continuities is pretty accepted for comics.

Because I'm sure the Disney/Lucasfilm people will be thinking, "Man, that's a movie the audience would love to see! Why put it in a book when we could make a thousand times as much money from a movie showing that?"

It's funny that so many people in the general public are celebrating all the cantina/ESB bounty hunters/Jabba's palace/etc. backstories being thrown out, because really, I think the most likely thing the new EU will be focusing on is developing those safe nameless minor background characters.

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    It is not about being synonymous with anything.

You said that CEO's don't even know what continuity is, I say when Disney decided to buy Star Wars they did so specifically wanting to carry on the story from where it left off in ROTJ, with the original cast(minus Billy Dee) - that in of itself is continuity, albeit on a very basic level. They may not be concerned with the more minor nuances of continuity, but they are most definitely aware of what it is and how, at least in the case of Episode 7, it is going to make their company a lot of money.

If the folks running Disney didn't care about continuity Episode 7 might well not have any of the original cast/characters in it.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    njo is not a trilogy, but i sould stack it up with some of the best novels of the njo yes

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Yes, and this distinction is irrelevant to the discussion about the EU dump which was in progress.

11. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    So I just now watched rebels... (I've been to afraid to.)

I... actually... started to like it.... I was nerding all over the place. ISB, AT-ARs, Tarkin's name mentioned.

THEN IT HAPPENED. They ruined Kessel... :( So many layers of EU was wraped in that potato astroid field. So does this mean the Maw is gone too...?

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Potato Kessel really was a pretty stupid idea though.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Shroom Kessel, on the other hand......

starfish and Gorefiend like this.
  14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    How so? Potato kessel has existed 20+ years...

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What on earth does that have to do with it? The Special Editions have existed for 18 years; that doesn't make Greedo shooting first any dumber.

16. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    That's because Greedo Shooting first was dumb...

Kessel, the Maw, secret imperial labs, and spice spiders were awesome.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Kessel being shaped like a potato was kind of dumb, though. I'm with Gorefiend on this one.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Gave the planet character imo.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  19. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    The shape was dumb yes, but the things on it/around it were were awesome. Also many other sources changed it to looking more akin to a dead brown planet/large rounded asteroid.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  20. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I haven't seen the Rebels episode yet, but from what I can tell, it's just another dreary brown mining planet. The potato thing made it unique, and I'm all for "extreme" planets and weird astrophysical phenomena--stuff with zing. The spice spiders were, in a way, a takeoff from Dune but it still made the planet distinctive in the GFFA.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Whoops, someone hasn't told FFG yet - Kessel's appearance in EOTE is the classic version.

22. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Precisely.

What I do not understand is the argument that the EU was killed "so that casuals wouldn't get confused. " Someone tell me how in sam hell does showing fresh audiences a cool looking planet they have never seen before gonna confuse them? They redesign the planet and make it rather generic. Now I'm hearing from some that it is based on old, old, old 1970s kessel concept, but that doesn't change the fact that long established visual EU sources did it first.

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Watch your mouth there, son.

24. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm not bashing previous decades, I prefer everything about older generations to today's standards.
    I just like the EU kessel better than unused concept art.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Potato, Potahto, Tomato, Tomahto, let's call the whole thing off!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.